Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Beastro

Arcane
Keep in mind many servers back in the classic era held off waking the Sleeper to allow lesser guilds a chance at them including many of the PvP servers where you'd expect griefing to happen. On Rallos where I played it was an agreement by several guilds to wake it together to attempt a kill, which became the first legit Sleeper kill in the game.
Did you know a barbarian warrior named Pinaduz?

Nope. I was in MIM before I quit, which was just a month or two before the Sleeper raid.

The name is kinda familiar.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Keep in mind many servers back in the classic era held off waking the Sleeper to allow lesser guilds a chance at them including many of the PvP servers where you'd expect griefing to happen. On Rallos where I played it was an agreement by several guilds to wake it together to attempt a kill, which became the first legit Sleeper kill in the game.

Nope. I was in MIM before I quit, which was just a month or two before the Sleeper raid.

He was my dad, I think he might have been main tank at the Sleeper raid. What was your character's name? Maybe he ganked you a few times.

Beastro

Arcane

He was my dad, I think he might have been main tank at the Sleeper raid. What was your character's name? Maybe he ganked you a few times.

Chauliodus, was a druid.

What guild was he in? If he was in DoZ, I quit before that guild war began.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Chauliodus, was a druid.

I think he was in Wudan, I don't really know much about it because I didn't play. I just remember it was a big deal when they all killed the Sleeper. He hasn't played in a long time, but still keeps in contact with a bunch of his old friends. He just got back from Denmark visiting a few of them.

Beastro

Arcane

Chauliodus, was a druid.

I think he was in Wudan, I don't really know much about it because I didn't play. I just remember it was a big deal when they all killed the Sleeper. He hasn't played in a long time, but still keeps in contact with a bunch of his old friends. He just got back from Denmark visiting a few of them.

Ahh yeah, Wudan. We never fought them, were just one of the other raid guilds kicking around.

RZ was funny in as much as there was PvP but it wasn't entirely a free for all. There was also a strong anti-PK community that actively hunted down PKs being the other side of the coin that made PKs outlaws that had to skulk about often. All of that slowly died at raid guilds became more influential. MIM initially was on of the Anti-PK guilds while Wudan and Ascending Dawn were specifically founded as raid guilds who primarily fought The Peacebreaker/ Peace of Formosa which as a Taiwan guild that liked picking fights and guild warring, ignoring bothering with inter-guild diplomacy.

I have seen Wudan members kicking about on emu servers and on the progression ones, however.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bro, we've already established you're posing as some experienced vanilla player.

You are the one who is posing, trust me. I already posted my T4/5 raid geared TBC character on retail, I just burned out from pally healing, it was way too simple, and the demands of a hardcore raiding guild, and quit raiding for a while, so I didn't go to the T6 raids. I can't prove what I did in vanilla because it seems the armory doesn't seem to keep track of what you did in vanilla, so I also posted my BWL/AQ40 geared priest from Kronos, so I have very recent memories of what raiding and vanilla actually is. Yeah, the numbers might not be exactly 100% Blizz-like, but they are close enough, the problem isn't the numbers. Like I said, it's the burn out from daily rotation of raids, the degenerate meterwhoring gameplay and loot councils that reward such behavior, and the grind for consumables if you grind (I don't, I work the AH instead, but the economy is extremely limited). These things were true in vanilla, especially the raid rotations, you needed your enchants from ZG, your materials from AQ20, your legendary mats from MC/BWL etc., the numbers are irrelevant in this case.

Anyway, about the 5 mages at AV thing, here are your citations -> Improved Blizzard and Permafrost

5 Mages spamming Blizzard + the archers at the towers spamming *very* damaging arrows makes for a bad time. You can't just "mount up and rush them" because movement speeds stack multiplicatively, not additively, so 200%*0.25 = 50%, so gg. This coupled with the fact that AV heavily favors alliance. Horde can also exploit the mages thing, though. I don't know what more citation I can give you.

I am the only one who keeps posting screenshots, videos, armory links to try to "prove myself", everyone else who votes me "retardred" or "shit" is trivially shitposting and saying "nu'uh, vanilla was great!" without anything to back it up, so maybe think about that.
Total fraud. And lol @ burning out on TBC raiding which was far less time consuming than Vanilla raiding. Hell Tier 4 wasn't even proper raid content just Karazhan and Mag/Gruul. And didn't even do Tier 6? I'm guessing because your parents took away your computer privileges.

Comparing a private server today to Vanilla in 2004 to gauge community is fucking laughable, m8. I think what's going on here is you played on a private server a couple of years ago and now think you're an authority on what the game/community was like well over decade ago. Sorry, not cutting it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm done with this conversation, you aren't reading at all and are just repeating tired old cliches and ad hominems that say nothing. Keep in mind that whatever "communities" private servers have now, whether they are the "real vanilla" ones or not, will also be mirrored in the official vanilla servers.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Bro, we've already established you're posing as some experienced vanilla player.

You are the one who is posing, trust me. I already posted my T4/5 raid geared TBC character on retail, I just burned out from pally healing, it was way too simple, and the demands of a hardcore raiding guild, and quit raiding for a while, so I didn't go to the T6 raids. I can't prove what I did in vanilla because it seems the armory doesn't seem to keep track of what you did in vanilla, so I also posted my BWL/AQ40 geared priest from Kronos, so I have very recent memories of what raiding and vanilla actually is. Yeah, the numbers might not be exactly 100% Blizz-like, but they are close enough, the problem isn't the numbers. Like I said, it's the burn out from daily rotation of raids, the degenerate meterwhoring gameplay and loot councils that reward such behavior, and the grind for consumables if you grind (I don't, I work the AH instead, but the economy is extremely limited). These things were true in vanilla, especially the raid rotations, you needed your enchants from ZG, your materials from AQ20, your legendary mats from MC/BWL etc., the numbers are irrelevant in this case.

Anyway, about the 5 mages at AV thing, here are your citations -> Improved Blizzard and Permafrost

5 Mages spamming Blizzard + the archers at the towers spamming *very* damaging arrows makes for a bad time. You can't just "mount up and rush them" because movement speeds stack multiplicatively, not additively, so 200%*0.25 = 50%, so gg. This coupled with the fact that AV heavily favors alliance. Horde can also exploit the mages thing, though. I don't know what more citation I can give you.

I am the only one who keeps posting screenshots, videos, armory links to try to "prove myself", everyone else who votes me "retardred" or "shit" is trivially shitposting and saying "nu'uh, vanilla was great!" without anything to back it up, so maybe think about that.
Total fraud. And lol @ burning out on TBC raiding which was far less time consuming than Vanilla raiding. Hell Tier 4 wasn't even proper raid content just Karazhan and Mag/Gruul. And didn't even do Tier 6? I'm guessing because your parents took away your computer privileges.

Comparing a private server today to Vanilla in 2004 to gauge community is fucking laughable, m8. I think what's going on here is you played on a private server a couple of years ago and now think you're an authority on what the game/community was like well over decade ago. Sorry, not cutting it.

He posted his char at least, you keep posting rubbish with nothing to back it up.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I already posted my T4/5 raid geared TBC character on retail

TBC was not vanilla, tbc was already starting the decline

Decline on what merit? By offering far more diverse and complex content? Adding new systems? Rather than pruning and removing the old ones, fixing them in many ways and filling them with more meaningful options?

Now there's many things to complain about TBC from the launch bugs to the class balance to the overly sci-fi themes but decline of anything isn't on the list of debate.

I can't prove what I did in vanilla because it seems the armory doesn't seem to keep track of what you did in vanilla,

Assuming you did vanilla PvP you'd have old ranks as feats of strength.

Don Peste

Arcane
One of my fondest memories of that time is shitposting on the RP forums, and being banned several times (dunno why). Oh, and recruiting random people in Orgrimmar for our guild, Drunken Hicks. Guild drama was great, too. People stabbing each other all around... All for nothing. Well usually it was about a girl. Oh, oh, and making people debate about stupid things on Trade Chat. We were young, we laughed a lot, I didn't have any life prospects... Wonderful times.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Found a beautiful post, almost shed a tear

Whether or not said carebears will be listened to, will depend on how much Blizzard wants their money.

I think the reason why Blizz are doing this is because they can see that WoW is dying, and they want to get as many old school players back as they can in order to maintain some degree of economic viability or residual income from the game. As someone who is a member of the proverbial no-life demographic myself, I appreciate that. We don't want ease or convenience in any form. We want depth, intricacy, quirks, and stuff that most people fairly simply don't like.

The QoL people either don't understand the above, or don't care; and I suspect that it's more a case of the latter. WoW was always a game that bridged the divide between the non-mainstream EQ/UO raid crowd on the one hand, and the mainstream demographic on the other; and said mainstream have always been a numerically larger group.

The thing is, that the mainstream have fickle attention spans. They don't hang around for years on end. They want to be primarily where the most people are so they can look popular, but they tend to race off after the newest shiny object. Given what said mainstream have done to WoW, I think Blizzard are finally realising that designing a game to cater to them is not economically the best strategy, over the long term.

Normal people have lives. They have families. They have careers and children and mobile phones and lots of other things which massively eat into their time. They don't want games with too much depth, because that will take too much time; time which they want to spend looking at family photos on Facebook.

Damaged, autistic, slowly aging neckbeards like me, on the other hand, don't have lives. We don't have partners or all of those other things. All we have is games like WoW, and we are prepared to offer Blizzard almost all of what little money we have on an ongoing basis, if Blizzard are willing to offer us Azeroth as a virtual nursing home.

I'm not proud. Anyone here can call me a disgusting live miscarriage of a human being, and I will agree with them. Many of us, however, are people with very little else in our lives; but we want this. We need this.

If any of the people asking for incremental changes to vanilla have any compassion, I would request that they remember the above. I'm not asking for the sort of life you've probably got. I'm not asking for a wife, or kids, or money, or any of the other things that you take for granted.

All I'm asking for is the ability to literally take the blue pill, now and unto perpetuity, and maintain contact with the single most positive thing that has ever been part of my otherwise pedestrian and redundant existence.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
ColonelTeacup, here's my character from TBC -> https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/dragonmaw/dustyy

He's the only one I haven't leveled past 70, so "you haven't played pre-WotLK" is off the table entirely. I already linked my Kronos character, but I'll do it again -> http://armory.twinstar.cz/character-sheet.xml?r=Kronos&cn=Lacrymas . Like me and Direwolf explained, all the bullshit you are spewing about "reputation" and "community", and "server cooperation" is just that, bullshit. You are the one who simply can't understand that those things were, and still are, immaterial and some vague memories you have of the "good" parts of vanilla. I won't repeat myself anymore, you are just wrong on all counts. Not to mention that you keep moving the goalposts, if your definition of a "community" is "people in the same place", then yes, that extremely general definition applies to vanilla/TBC servers, that doesn't mean it amounted to anything or people cared about such a community.
Oh yes of course, there's no possible way players being forced to work together with people on their server to complete dungeons and raids would have any effect on forming bonds and a community of people forming as well as learning who is who through the process of playing the game. LFG had absolutely no effect on server communities despite the prominent way for players to complete dungeons now is queing up for a dungeon rather than meeting people on their server and doing it together. Instead of socializing and trying to be friendly in the hopes of meeting people on your server you can group up with later, players just opt to use the much more easy and less social dungeon finder where you can complete a dungeon and never need to say a word to your team members, who are almost always not from your server, removing all incentive to be a jackass and either fuck people over or just not try. Really these drastic changes had absolutely no effect on the players or interactivity between players. Oh and of course the dictionary term of community is clearly wrong, after all you obviously know better than websters dictionary.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not to mention that with LFG people would just leave the dungeons, while if you are going together to the dungeon it is likely less to happen, if someone took time to get there he will most likely stick through the dungeon

hivemind

Brack was right when he said you don't want vanilla.

I mean I couldn't' give a shit about vanilla. And neither do the private server players since:
BC+wotlk players outnumber vnailla
Nostalrius players rated BC higher than vanilla

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Will this be the revival of WoW?
I am confident Blizzard will find a way to fuck this up.
I do not think it will be Blizzard per se, but rather players demanding more changes and updates. I could see people demanding changes for some classes (ret paladins for one) or demanding heirlooms.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only change I really want to see is faster progression with more raid boss loot drops. 3-4 months each raid tier, not 6-8. MC and Ony shouldn't be opened on day 1, though, maybe a month after the server launch.

Delterius

Arcane
I do not think it will be Blizzard per se, but rather players demanding more changes and updates. I could see people demanding changes for some classes (ret paladins for one) or demanding heirlooms.
It could be they'll follow the Runescape model, where classic servers do see updates from time to time -- but only if the community accepts it. Wether it works or not is going to depend on how niche Official Classic WoW servers are. With a small, dedicated fanbase the apple won't stray far from the tree. As it didn't with Runescape.

Parabalus

Arcane

I don't think doing "nothing", ie. going from 1.0 to 1.12 in like it happened would be well received. I think starting on a 1.12 and pushing just content seems better.

The only change I really want to see is faster progression with more raid boss loot drops. 3-4 months each raid tier, not 6-8. MC and Ony shouldn't be opened on day 1, though, maybe a month after the server launch.

They might even remix some releases - earlier DM and the t0.5 quest for instance - so they have more relevancy. Could even push ZG earlier.

It could be they'll follow the Runescape model, where classic servers do see updates from time to time -- but only if the community accepts it. Wether it works or not is going to depend on how niche Official Classic WoW servers are. With a small, dedicated fanbase the apple won't stray far from the tree. As it didn't with Runescape.

I think the best argument for balancing is the it would lead to better class population distribution. Warrior, rogue and mage will likely have 50%+ of total pop. without any changes. Don't quite think that's a strong enough reason for messing with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom