Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Three CRPGs to Carry One Through Hurricane Relief

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In honor of aweigh and a large number of relatives that are still recovering from recent hurricanes, I have a question.

A category V hurricane is heading in your direction, and there is a strong possibility that your internet connection is going to be out of commission for a long time. You know you don't want to play a CRPG you've already beaten, so you decided to trust the hive mind of the Codex and go to GOG/Steam/abandonware site and choose three games that will carry you through the next few months. What are they?

I've played through a couple hundred CRPGs already , but there are still some on the Codex best RPGs list that I never got around to playing. My choices would be:

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Magic Candle
Realms of Arkania

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
unsurprisingly from me:

- wizardry scenarios (impossible to choose one, plus the fact that the remakes come with many scenarios in 1 file)
- dragon quest 7 (but any one of the good ones would serve, such as dragon quest 5 or DQ 3)
- elminage gothic (though any of the elminage titles will serve, especially Elminage: Original which is PSP/3DS)

why these? well for me becuase it turns out being able to play the game itself in a portable device is a huge deal when you don't have access to power and are instead using an elec. generator. desktop PCs chug a lotta power so high-graphics games which make your PC components use total power draw will mean wasting money, resources, etc.

the above games turned out to be excellent experiences even when played on tablet or hand-held device, with the extremely simple controls being the reason using a touch-screen was possible to play them!

it also means hand-held devices with their own battery which can be charged quickly (you can plug shit into the generator and charge them without turning it on to "full power", although this obviously depends on what kind of generator you own; alternatively you will also probably be able to charge your mobile devices at your workplace especially if you live in a metro area like I do).

unrelated to gaming but I also found my old-ass Laptop invaluable during the months without power as I could use it to view media such as DVDs and such things, and for the first time in years I actually ended up buying bargain bin DVDs and the like to view on the laptop without having to turn on the generator.

we just recently got back power and internet which is why i've been posting more the last week but it's still touch and go and we have power/internet for 3 or 4 days then we get 1 day without, then it comes back, etc.

What I really recommend is having a hurrican-list of books. Gasoline isn't cheap and even besides the price after the hurricane it will be scarce (for the first month or so after the hurricane hit I had to do lines of 5-7 hours to buy a few gallons of gas every single day, while my stepfather did a similar 5-7 hour line for water/ice) so you're really gonna want to think twice about whether or not it's really worth wasting gas/generator power for playing something when you can just use the generator to have air-fans on (which is really the only thing you need, electricity wise).

what you want are books, and I already mail-ordered a Kindle so I can fill it with hundreds of books for whenever I don't have power. Why kindle instead of using my existing tablet? because kindle doesn't consume much and it can last almost 10 days straight of hard usage/reading without needing a recharging.

That being said, I did end up playing Tyranny multiple times thanks to the hurricane and I did "waste" gasoline on it, and I loved it. So I guess my real gaming recommendation is:

- any game you normally would not play, or something that is on your backlog, since you will probably end up being surprised by how much you enjoy something when you play it without the notion of later posting about it on a forum and are merely playing it for its own sake.

Deuce Travelers recommendation of going thru codexian backlog is a good one. You will find, when you know you're not gonna be posting on the forum for a long while nor have access to much other entertainment, that whatever game you play you will really enjoy without having your opinions about your experience muddled by outside expectations.

EDIT: Knights of the Chalice is another good one. Endlessly replayable.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I think I'd want to go with something to remind me that a hurricane isn't really all that bad by comparison.

NWN: OC
Torment: Numanuma
Fallout 4

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Been preparing for this day like a crazy coot with his own fully stocked nuclear shelter. I've amassed hundreds of physical games that work right out of the box, so it'll take some inventive tweaks to make your scenario work. My choices would be longer games to compensate for the time frame of a few months:

Mount & Blade: Warband
Fallout: New Vegas
Betrayal at Krondor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom