Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
You can get the other Ancient Rathound Tooth by looting the one in the Arena. Just saying.
Yeah, that's my first one. There's one at Rathound King's (alive in my game), and another one (RNG-based) in the Gauntlet, but you get enough of them in DC, so whatever. Can kill a bunch of faceless to get the masks, too.

There's also the named one in the sewers if you go Praetorian.

My problem is that i have to drop both hacking and lockpicking, how important would you guys say they are?
While it can help a lot to avoid some combat encounters, if you're not into looting every single containers you can definitely skip putting points into hacking and lockpicking well into around mid game.
And for the whole run?

You need some lockpicking to open vents with low str, worth it for that alone.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've read somewhere that the expansion will be released on December 18th 2017, exactly 2 years after UR release, has Styg confirmed it yet?

Tygrende

Arbiter
I've read somewhere that the expansion will be released on December 18th 2017, exactly 2 years after UR release
30a.jpeg

has Styg confirmed it yet?
So far he only said that he wants to avoid releasing around Christmas this time.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks. The "if I can" suggests that he would like to release it sooner then, unless he plans to release it much, much later.

epeli

Arcane
I've read somewhere that the expansion will be released on December 18th 2017, exactly 2 years after UR release, has Styg confirmed it yet?

Six weeks? No, seems very unlikely. The current plan is to release a big base game update before the expansion. There's still work to be done on that patch and once it's out, it will probably spend few weeks in experimental branch for feedback and hotfixing. The expansion release comes into question after that.

Xeon

Augur
Are you using the early access options build or whatever or just playing the last public official build? if the early access then have fun but if you are using the old vanilla or whatever its called then it might be better just to wait a few more weeks or something for added stuff and a maybe better game quality overall.

I am assuming not everything comes with the DLC and there will be a free patch or something for changes in the base game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I intend to find a way. I have some experience screwing around with text fonts in Photoshop, CAD, and MUD clients of yore; if I have to go so far as to download the dev tools Styg uses and mod it in the old-fashioned way, I very well might.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've already complained about this before, quite vociferously in fact, but sadly to no avail. I'm not sure what the issue is; it might even be cost. Fonts cost money if you're using someone else's font commercially. I'd even be willing to create a new font from scratch. I have the tools and the ability.

That being said, I'd be able to harvest dozens of Brofists if I were to create a mod. DOZENS! Think what I'll be able to do with them all!

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Wasn't there a guy that put comic sans into the game? I think all that's required is to replace the font file (you'll have to compile it with XNA pipeline, but that should be really easy).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Wasn't there a guy that put comic sans into the game? I think all that's required is to replace the font file (you'll have to compile it with XNA pipeline, but that should be really easy).

Yeah, when I looked into this a year or so ago, I dug into the game directory and it took me two seconds to locate Underrail/Data/Fonts/various ___.xnb files. I then looked up the .xnb format, which no doubt leads to all the info required to obtain the tools needed to decompile/read/compile font files. Simply swapping in custom .xnb font files with identical file names, Temple of Doom-style as is modding tradition, is probably all that's needed beyond testing to ensure the fonts fit properly into all of the game's panes and bounding boxes.

Something stopped me before (maybe downloading and learning the tools required seemed like too much effort? not sure), but I wasn't actually playing then. Before too much longer we'll have the expansion to play, and shortly before then I should suddenly be motivated to do something. :lol:

Frankly, I really wish that there was still an atmospheric default available for anyone to use simply by selecting it, but c'est la vie.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fuck man please release this soon. Styg I wanna see what your guys can come up with next.

I love the game's atmosphere so fucking much. It's all about survival and a dangerous world that has been fucked many, many times, but at the same time it doesn't have all that bleak nihilism 'where is god' stuff that permeates other games so frequently.
Rather, it emphasizes in some weird way that humanity is fucking strong as hell, adaptable, and tough to have survived this horror shit. And will continue to survive.

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
but at the same time it doesn't have all that bleak nihilism 'where is god' stuff that permeates other games so frequently.
Rather, it emphasizes in some weird way that humanity is fucking strong as hell, adaptable, and tough to have survived this horror shit. And will continue to survive.
Well isn't that the slavic spirit?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Major_Blackhart I really never talked about that point, despite it being very important to me in the game.
One of the reasons I enjoyed it was due to that weird "human warmness" that was prevalent throughout the game via it's NPCs.

It wasn't like in AoD, where just about every single person you met was a fucking cunt. This kept me coming back.

Axie

Scholar
Major_Blackhart I really never talked about that point, despite it being very important to me in the game.
One of the reasons I enjoyed it was due to that weird "human warmness" that was prevalent throughout the game via it's NPCs.

It wasn't like in AoD, where just about every single person you met was a fucking cunt. This kept me coming back.

Both are good with how they approach NPCs, and generally great experiences — but while AOD is walking through fallow land with constant dust on your tongue, UR is being at home during winter tucked near fireplace with good coffee and cigarillos.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You know about the concept of four colors of Neuroshima? It basically describes the four ways that a post-apo setting can go, and Underrail is pure "steel": it's harsh, but humanity knows it has to prevail, hope is never lost and one man can make a difference.
Despite there always being a lot of post-apo games, I don't think any of the good ones went for this direction, so that's nice about UR.

Anyway, I just got to core city after clearing the old junkyard with my heavy psi monk, and only now I've noticed that my 55 of dodge and evasion scale down to the value of fucking 2 so I'm thinking:
Should I start pumping these points in something usefull, or just drop the heavy armor since I haven't took any heavy armor feats just yet? My stats are 8 str/dex, 10 con, 7 will, 3 agi/per/int. That 3 agi makes me think it's a bad idea, but I dunno.
I've also picked up a tungsten armor while chewing on that rathound barbeque, so I guess I'm an addict now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That agility is low for a dodge/evasion/stealth guy.

It's probably better to stick with heavy armor and forget dodge/evasion.

Lhynn

Arcane
You know about the concept of four colors of Neuroshima? It basically describes the four ways that a post-apo setting can go, and Underrail is pure "steel": it's harsh, but humanity knows it has to prevail, hope is never lost and one man can make a difference.
Despite there always being a lot of post-apo games, I don't think any of the good ones went for this direction, so that's nice about UR.

Fuck, been like a year since i saw anyone post anything as interesting as this. Welcome to the codex.

Anyway, I just got to core city after clearing the old junkyard with my heavy psi monk, and only now I've noticed that my 55 of dodge and evasion scale down to the value of fucking 2 so I'm thinking:
Should I start pumping these points in something usefull, or just drop the heavy armor since I haven't took any heavy armor feats just yet? My stats are 8 str/dex, 10 con, 7 will, 3 agi/per/int. That 3 agi makes me think it's a bad idea, but I dunno.
I've also picked up a tungsten armor while chewing on that rathound barbeque, so I guess I'm an addict now.
You are better off starting over, your character is horrible.

If you are going unarmed you probably want to dump str, as most feats are keyed to Dex anyway, and you recieve bonus from the highest stat, not from both (which is retarded, there isnt a single martial art that shouldnt benefit from both, tbh Styg should probably key melee to both, maybe maul just to str).

Con means you plan on getting hit, you want heavy armor with high con as there is a clear synergy between a high hp pool and a high mitigation. Otherwise go with high agi and dump con, and for defense rely on your dodge/evasion and later on on your shields (early game you can use heavy armor, as the mitigation it offers is way better than your paltry dodge/evasion score anyway, but later on youll be avoiding most attacks).

7 will is meh, you probably can do just as well with 5 unless you want to go with more than psychokinesis. Remember that being psi takes away a 25% of your max hp pool, therefore really punishing heavy armor users and high CON characters. Will 10 + thought control 75 for locus of control is pretty amazing, but the investment is too big.

agi is verrry important as a melee, especially if you go without armor.
Per is dump stat but you will hate traps.
Int 7 is very useful for crafting, i would go with at least electronics if light armor, or mechanics if heavy armor. Crafting is definitely a great investment and nothing you will find in the game even comes close to the monsters you can craft, but it is a sort of late bloomer skill, and you do need a few points in other crafting skills (usually like 20-28% of your main skill) for some components.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You are better off starting over, your character is horrible.
I'll do that only if i get stuck, since I'm not really trying to be optimal. Besides, what's so horrible about it? Provided I want to play psi monk in heavy armor, I can't really drop str below 8, and it still provides some cool perks to pick like wrestling, bone breaker or guard. By the time I get 100 melee I can boost it to 10 for heavyweight. Dex is still good for punching more, and I also use it for lockpicking, traps and a bit of throwing and pickpocket. 7 will for force user (big help early in) and stoicism, and it also boosts intimidation which I use for yell and being a dick.
My only problem so far is chasing down some enemies, which I guess can ruin a character, but for now I'm fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom