Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished SOMA,not bad although when compared to Amnesia it's the inferior game.only the graphics are better,the setting the atmosphere are good but while Amnesia makes you piss your pants SOMA isn't that scary for a horror game.The gameplay is mostly the same but a bit easier,so if you like Amnesia you should buy this one too during a sale

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Witcher 3 (about to head to Skellige for the first time -- 100 hours in. Mother of God is there is a lot of filler. I understand it's optional but muh autism.)
Doki Doki Literature Club (good idea, bad execution)
Hand of Fate 2 (card-based rogue-like; you build decks for items and encounters, the dealer shuffles those cards & adds in cards from the scenario you are playing and you then have to beat the scenario. Really fun, if a bit basic. As an example. there might be a card that causes you to make various skill checks and if you succeed them all, you might get some gold, which you could then use to buy an item that you also put into that deck which might help against the enemy type involved in the current scenario)
Vermintide

And this...

4194b777691f6d4409385f89ea602a3d.jpg

It's a Taiwanese furry dating sim... good for practicing your traditional Chinese characters.
It also has a catchy Taiwanese anime opening...
伸出雙手就能觸摸 眼前鬆軟的毛髮
是一直保存在神像裡的秘密~

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished playing Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC.

It started off pretty strong, but the enemy AI and general level structure became really predictable really quick. It got to the point where I was running around and not caring about the noise I was making because I could tell where the game is going to spawn in enemies and where it doesn't. I also got a bit tired of the press a few buttons/flip some switches/find the key to continue down the main path level objectives the game kept repeating over and over again.

I liked the concept behind having to use the night vision and the resource management behind it, but I think the game was a bit too generous with the amount of batteries you find. Some parts were definitely pretty scary and the atmosphere can get pretty tense, but a combination of being too repetitive and being too predictable really hurts the game.

Nostaljaded

Savant
And this...

4194b777691f6d4409385f89ea602a3d.jpg

It's a Taiwanese furry dating sim... good for practicing your traditional Chinese characters.
It also has a catchy Taiwanese anime opening...
伸出雙手就能觸摸 眼前鬆軟的毛髮
是一直保存在神像裡的秘密~
Opening Song for furry interests and research purposes.
Turn on the ENG auto-translated subs, they are not too far off from the CHT lyrics.

circ

Arcane
Blew 20-30 minutes on Hunted Demon's Forge. I had been putting off installing it for years, should have kept forgetting to. I got a question for Fargo. How can you release a game in this state? What kind of person looks at it and says, well shit, that looks finished.

This wins top prize in shitty camera, hilariously bad animations and controls that feel like your fingers are made of dicks.

circ

Arcane
Oh is that who it was. I thought the elf ranger voice work was really amateurish.

Anyway, I installed M&M X earlier, just tried with a pre-made party, killed some spider queen but group mage went into coma. I haven't played M&M in over 20 years, I don't remember the movement being as clunky as this was. And really, it just plays like M&M 5 from what I remember, with a new coat of paint - and that coat of paint is debatable.

Is this gamu any good? Worth continuing with a real party? I played M&M 6 a lot back in the day, but I thought some systems were dumb, like having to fly to bumfuck nowhere to get class and skills mastered.

Blonsky

Prophet
Sword art online hollow realization

Its a anime/VN/rpg game about a gamer who plays a new VR MMORPG with his friends, that mimics a real mmorpg game pretty good actually.
Its so far(around 30% in the game) mostly a single player game with a option of co-op gameplay, the story follows your friends and you as you explore this new mmorpg, until it changes into a story about advanced NPC-s can die in this game so you try to protect them, teach them to fight and think for them self (im hopping it turns into a rebellion against player and the game).
Well the gameplay is mediocre, you run with a party of 4 characters, maps are boring, enemies look very similar; enemies are either 1 skill kills, hp blobs, or hp blobs with a powerfull attack that is better dodged; you get skills by using each weapon, so very repetitive to unlock them and leveling is slow and dosent mean much.
The problem with the game is, right now, i have 120 side quests about gather/kill x number of things; 80 npc-friend requests that will turn into gather/kill quests, or a possibility to join my party, or a strange cyber date/bed talk dating situation with them.
So its just to many balls in the air and im just not a good enough juggler to keep them there.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I remember playing Hunted: Demon's forge in splitscreen with my brother back in time. A fun experience, but because playing it in company, not because the game itself. Has some good ideas, poorly and sometimes horribly executed. Final boss is absolutely shit. But well, you can jerk looking at the elf hottie. It gives to the game some points, I guess.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JYST FINISHED HALF LIFE FOR THE FIRST TIME I THINK I GOT TO SURFACE TENSION WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT

IVE BEEN REPLAYING OR FINISHING FOR THE FIRST TIME ALOT OFG THE OLD FPS GAMES IN THE LAST COUPKE YEARS

I CAN SEE WHY HALF LIFE WAS COOL WHEN IT CAME OUT BUT THE GUNPLAY DOESNT SEEME TO HOLD UP LIKE DOOM AND BLOOD AND QUAKE

THE GUNS SOUND KINDA OKAY BUT THEY NEVER LOOK LIKE THEY HURT ANYOJTNE TILL THERE DEAD EVEN DOOM YOU CHAINGUN SOMEONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR FUCKING THERE SHIT UP

BUT BROS THE SCRIPTING OR AI OR WHATEVER SOMETIMES MADE ENCOUNTERS MORE INTERESTING YOU SHOOT AT ONE FUCKER BEHIND COVER AND THE OTHER COCKSUCKER IS TOSSING GRENADES OVER THE WALL

NEXT UP WHEN I FEEL LIKE AN OLD FPS IS DARK FORCES UNREAL OR SHADOW WARRIOR

PLAYED DARK FORCES WHEN I WAS YOUND AND NEVER FINISHED IT AND I PLAYED THE OTHER TOO BRIEFLY IN THE LAST COUPKE YEARS

Freddie

Savant
BROS JYST FINISHED HALF LIFE FOR THE FIRST TIME I THINK I GOT TO SURFACE TENSION WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT

IVE BEEN REPLAYING OR FINISHING FOR THE FIRST TIME ALOT OFG THE OLD FPS GAMES IN THE LAST COUPKE YEARS

I CAN SEE WHY HALF LIFE WAS COOL WHEN IT CAME OUT BUT THE GUNPLAY DOESNT SEEME TO HOLD UP LIKE DOOM AND BLOOD AND QUAKE

THE GUNS SOUND KINDA OKAY BUT THEY NEVER LOOK LIKE THEY HURT ANYOJTNE TILL THERE DEAD EVEN DOOM YOU CHAINGUN SOMEONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR FUCKING THERE SHIT UP

BUT BROS THE SCRIPTING OR AI OR WHATEVER SOMETIMES MADE ENCOUNTERS MORE INTERESTING YOU SHOOT AT ONE FUCKER BEHIND COVER AND THE OTHER COCKSUCKER IS TOSSING GRENADES OVER THE WALL

NEXT UP WHEN I FEEL LIKE AN OLD FPS IS DARK FORCES UNREAL OR SHADOW WARRIOR

PLAYED DARK FORCES WHEN I WAS YOUND AND NEVER FINISHED IT AND I PLAYED THE OTHER TOO BRIEFLY IN THE LAST COUPKE YEARS
You could try Half Life Opposing Force, which IIRC had better gun play.

Dark Forces is very solid game, but watch out for some environmental situations. Custom engine they used gave them options which doesn't occur in other games from that era IIRC.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dark Forces is a Doom clone where the bases you infiltrate makes somewhat more sense and you have alot of environmental puzzles to solve, there is quite some impressive level design for the era on that game but I rage quitted on a level full of enemies with hitscan energy bazookas that could one shot you from the other side of the level, there is almost no story to give the game some charm too. You can't save on the middle of a level too, what sucks when you just wanna play for 30 min. It definitely is a rough prototype with some poorly thought out design bringing the positives down , great for the era but Dark Forces II/expansion and Jedi Outcast outshine it, now those are beasts of games.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I PLAYED MOST OF DARK FORCES WHEN IT CAMR OUT AND A LITTLE BIT RECENTLY

ALSO FINISHED OUTCAST WITHIN THE LAST YEAR I THINK

PLAYING HALF LIFE 2 A LITTLE BIT

EASIER ON HARD THAN THE ORIGINAL ON DEGAULT

Axie

Scholar
I couldn't make myself continue D:OS2... At first I had much fun, and the game looked much better than the first one, but Wrath of the Lich King is too strong in it, it becomes meh fast and no hopw for me to finish it. So, I went back to Underrail, the system is so tight — it was like a good mouthwash after eating lemurs' poo. Getting expansion out takes too long, so why not.

Also tried Tyranny, for the second time, and again big nope. This time I made it slightly further only to see it is roewur and leave it.

I have long play in background, Baldur's Gate, want to finish whole series from lvl 1, but playing it only occasionally and in the mornings, when ne into newspapers.

Dark Forces is a Doom clone where the bases you infiltrate makes somewhat more sense and you have alot of environmental puzzles to solve, there is quite some impressive level design for the era on that game but I rage quitted on a level full of enemies with hitscan energy bazookas that could one shot you from the other side of the level, there is almost no story to give the game some charm too. You can't save on the middle of a level too, what sucks when you just wanna play for 30 min. It definitely is a rough prototype with some poorly thought out design bringing the positives down , great for the era but Dark Forces II/expansion and Jedi Outcast outshine it, now those are beasts of games.

Those later Dark Forces levels are insane. You can see the where the amazing and vast levels of DF2 had their origins in but man is it bullshit running back and forth trying to figure out what to do when you can't save and there's platforming bullshit on top of enemies that kill you faster than you can blink.

circ

Arcane
Might & Magic X Legacy isn't that bad akshooly. Then again I'm just in the second chapter.

Unfortunately there are issues. Like, being made in Unity, the overland travel tends to throw up lag spikes now and then. The removal of classes - I think there were more before? I remember necromancer, and that's gone? Also some races got nixed, like minotaur and uh what was the other stuff. Well something. Vampire?

Also, there are only 2 portraits per race, so if you're going with an all human party, well, some will be identical twins. Fewer skills and spells too - waterwalking seems to be gone. Flight is gone too it seems, but that was overpowered abusable stuff anyway.

Anyhow, any other recent turn-based party rpgs? With more polish. Don't say Grimoire, and I know about Harebrained and Larian stuff.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
1)
They Are Billions (beta)
Seems interesting at first, but once you figure it out there's nothing to it and absolutely NO depth.
Play one map and you've played them all, pretty much. This falls off so hard it's unbelievable... But maybe the campaign will introduce reasons to keep playing, idk.

2)
Because of They Are Billions and how flawed it is so far, I decided to replay replay Stronghold and SH Crusader. Got the HD versions off steam.

Charming for sure, but goddamn are they easy or what (playing original HD, not the extreme versions)!? Esp. due to the marketplace... You can buy anything you need and make money off excess stone or whatever... Totally breaks the economy. But even without that, everything is pretty damn easy to set up and so far even the supposedly good A.I. lords are fucking retarded and build only garbage mazes instead of castles. They have, it seems, very limited economic strategies so if a lord relies on selling stone and buying everything he needs, then if he only has 1-2 spots for quarries he's fucked it seems.
Maybe the H.D. versions break the A.I. ?

This series could use a new 2D entry really, one that fixes its many design weaknesses (pretty much all related to actual gameplay).
Instead we got 3d garbage (and garbage it was).

Feels like SH was the absolute tail-end of the golden age of RTS/base-building stuff, or maybe I'm remembering that wrong. Surprised it doesn't have a more active modding community. There are some mods or total conversions but that's it. Maybe it's annoying to mod for or was never the hit with the community that I remember it as.

3) Warframe, Plains of Eidolon update
Same old imo. Fun for a bit but in the end it's grind of the sake of grind. Doesn't feel as grindy as it used to be, although a number of important mods are locked behind shit loot-tables in unenjoyable missions or behind new currency for the void trader who only shows up rarely and has random crap in stock... It does play fairly well in terms of movement, but also has no real challenge at all, gameplay-wise. Enemies are either comically easy or bullet sponges depending on your gear/mods. There is seemingly no in-between. Community is pretty nice though, compared to other online games.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Ya playing Warframe too, but I'm a whore who loves grinding, wave-missions and endless amounts of modding and new crap to craft so fuck me.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Ya playing Warframe too, but I'm a whore who loves grinding, wave-missions and endless amounts of modding and new crap to craft so fuck me.
Haha, well, you'll have quite a bit of stuff to grind through at least.

Unfortunately, I got myself an Astilla with explosive and corrosive procs and that makes the other weapons seem rather un-fun in comparison, so now I can't be bothered to grind further :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
1)
They Are Billions (beta)
Seems interesting at first, but once you figure it out there's nothing to it and absolutely NO depth.
Play one map and you've played them all, pretty much. This falls off so hard it's unbelievable... But maybe the campaign will introduce reasons to keep playing, idk.
I got interested on the concept of this game but is there more to it than a glorified tower defense game? Do you need to actually get out of your city to accomplish goals, are there unique events or is it just build city and wait for zombies?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
1)
They Are Billions (beta)
I got interested on the concept of this game but is there more to it than a glorified tower defense game? Do you need to actually get out of your city to accomplish goals, are there unique events or is it just build city and wait for zombies?

It's honestly less deep than a lot of tower defense games in terms of combat mechanics, if you can believe that.
There's nothing out of your city other than more building space (and some rare free resources to pick up, but whatever). Also zombie cities sometimes.
Mostly you just need to expand and maintain a defensive perimeter around your city... The further along you are in terms of game-time, the more zombie throughput during waves you have to deal with, as well as random smaller attacks.
The whole reason you have to expand is for building space and resource amount per cycle.

For example, you need more power. So, at first you get it from windmills. Can only place one every so many tiles though, so you can run out of space inside your base where you can place them. Later on you can get a power plant, but it burns wood and... Stone!? Even though there is oil in the game... Well, whatever. Then you can upgrade your windmills to super-turbo windmills I guess. But for all those upgrades, you need 3 different upgrade buildings. Each one costs more workers, power etc than the last.
For more workers you need food, and power plus money, wood or stone for dwellings.
For more power you need windmills (or whatever), so space.
For more wood per cycle (and stone, iron etc) you need deposits, forests and so on, but you can only place one resource gathering building every so many tiles, just like windmills.
Food for workers you need food gathering buildings, which you can only place once so many tiles away from each other, and on certain spots of the map (fisher huts, farms) and what tiles their gathering area covers determines how much stuff you get per cycle.

Stuff like workers, food, power are flat amounts... You have a pool, and if you build something it detracts from the pool. So you need to keep getting more and more in order to upgrade old buildings and build new ones, therefore you must expand.

Before I forget: The map is populated by largely inert zombies that are separate from waves. You can aggro them, and they seem to slowly cover more of the map and thus wander into your base. You can clear them with troops and/or turret creep. Aggro too many and you may be in trouble.

Buildings, at least civilian buildings, can get taken over by zombies and the amount of workers they cost you originally will spawn as zombies combing out of the buildings. This turns into a zombie cascade as they take over more and more stuff. If they take over a tesla tower, the whole area goes dark, defenses no longer work etc.

Oh, and you need to build tesla towers to expand your building space (power coverage)

You also need space for defenses so that you have enough in one place to deal with zombie throughput during waves against that section of your walls.
At first it seems like tight funnel areas are good because it costs less to shore them up with walls and such, but you also often don't have space on your side to place enough defenses. And all the zombies will keep crashing against just a few wall segments, breaking them eventually.

So instead you want larger defensive areas with plenty of turret overlap (or a fuckton of titans, but why bother if you have executors) and more wall segments.

The only curveball are spitters, which will show up later as the only distance attacker. They can outrange a certain turret type and basic soldiers.

Normally, you want to expand enough so that you can, before the final wave, build defenses such as

2 rows of executors, 2 rows of walls, traps, more walls and traps (or maybe no traps, whatever) until 7 spaces away from your outer executors. That way spitters won't be able to attack them for a while and they can mow down zombies... And you always have more walls for the zombies to destroy. Easy peasy final wave. No short, isolated wall sections with just 2 turrets or some such, otherwise you need to put lots of infantry there to help defend.

Some players section off various inner areas of their city, but why bother. Just takes up building space and means more expansion is necessary. Leaks won't happen if you have solid outer defense, and inner defense takes away from outer defense due to resources.

If the mechanics were more fun, presentation more satisfying and more hooks to keep playing... Well, right now it belongs on cellphones or newgrounds, no joke.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pity, there was a map for StarCarft 2 where you had to defend during the night and burn the infected buildings during the day, there was bonus objectives too that only appeared at night when the horde was the strongest, stimulating you to get out of night when it would be a bad idea otherwise, would love that concept expanded to a whole game but it seems it isn't this game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Pity, there was a map for StarCarft 2 where you had to defend during the night and burn the infected buildings during the day, there was bonus objectives too that only appeared at night when the horde was the strongest, stimulating you to get out of night when it would be a bad idea otherwise, would love that concept expanded to a whole game but it seems it isn't this game.
Yeah, at least not yet. They are planning a campaign mode with various objectives and whatnot, but I'm not too clear on the details.

Based on what I'm seeing so far I'm not convinced they can make it work, but who knows. Could be wrong.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still on Sea dogs: Age of Pirates: City of abandoned ships: Pirates of the Caramba.

Managing to fight off 5 ships at a time and actually managing to sink one is a hell of an achievement. Exit to map feeling triumphant despite heavy losses and my ship barely holding together... :positive:
To get attacked by a fleet of 5 spanish patrolships. :negative:
And then I just ignore them by flying a Spanish flag. :dealwithit:
Still on this game men. Only now I have a goddamn man o' war and the entire sea's my bitch. Spain and Netherland are displaying absolutely disgraceful butthurt, what with sending entire squadrons of ships after me and then raising the bounty on my head once all the ships inevitably sink.
Then the bounty hunters come and get schooled too.
And seriously disregard any one who advises you that you can't raise all your skills so you will need officers to fill many gaps. Over time, you WILL max out navigation, defence, repair and grappling with bare minimum effort. Cannons skill growth can be accelerated by using ships that can hold a larger number of guns, and accuracy will raise with a wee bit of effort, though you really want to board the enemy ships rather than sink them in most cases. Then again, this is easy difficulty in a russian game, so make of that what you will.
Can't wait to finish maxing out medium and light weapons, so I can go back to heavy weapons like a proper brute of a pirate.
Certainly enjoying this game more than Sid Meier's pirates.

Ezekiel

Arcane
This happened in Max Payne 3 today:

giphy.gif

I was ecstatic. Physics are so underused.

Other than that, I'm playing Nioh. I like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom