Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You won't believe these games are not available on Steam/GOG

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Superhero League of Hoboken
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero_League_of_Hoboken

432386-superhero-league-of-hoboken-dos-screenshot-even-such-quiet.png

RPG/adventure hybrid made by Legend Entertainment.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I would like the Silent Hill 1-4 on gog. Plese plese let me let me

Don Peste

Arcane
Added a few more of your recommendations (WarWizard, Veil of Darkness, Shadow of Yserbius and The Summoning) & made some corrections.

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance should come to GOG - Because I'm a sucker for old D&D games, and because I never finished it before I upgraded to Win 98 and rendered the sumbitch unplayable.

etWpyhi.jpg
pa0B5xv.jpg
49azsKP.jpg
9w22jjf.jpg

Playable on windows 10 and previous OSes both natively and through dosbox. Shouldn't need to do anything special, winBR.exe launches even without any compatibility options selected. You will need dosbox to install it though since 64 bit windows doesn't like 16 bit installers. Played it last year.

This one looks amazing, is it any good?

I liked it quite a bit at the time, and pretty much played it on "Basic" mode because I was young and stupid. The Basic mode allows you to ignore the economic and diplomatic needs of your chosen nation and just focus on the Adventures and Battles. The Advanced mode turns on more options for controlling your economy and other aspects of your rule. I dabbled with the more advanced options and they reminded me of Lords of the Realm 2 at the time. The UI felt a bit clunky, but I had little experience in 4x games at the time, so that might have been a factor.

Adventure mode was awesome, as this was the RPG portion of the game. You would basically navigate a dungeon in first person blobber format, then engage in combat in real time. Real time combat was similar to Eye of the Beholder. However, the camera will pan back and you can see your party and give them orders. Turn-based would have been better, of course, but it was functional. Spells and skills were classic D&D, though I don't recall any specific ruleset being used. There were spells to use in your realm in strategy mode as well.

The downsides I recall other than the UI in the strategy mode was that you could not create your character. You can level them up, but not create them from scratch. At least, I couldn't figure it out then. I haven't been successful at getting it to run since then. It's one of those Windows 3.1 / 95 games that were released right after the age of DOS ended, so they were extremely reliant upon the limited Windows-compliant hardware of the time to run.

It's a neat game.

The strategy map is like a kind of Crusader Kings-ish system where you can own land but other sides can own the different holdings on your land, so you need to take political actions in order to gain full control of your own land and anything you conquer. Can also bribe minor factions and heroes to become your vassal and join you and stuff. Gets very complex on the expert settings.

The strategic army battles are kind of shit, you just send units against each other but there's a huge exploit with archers where you can fire and move and the enemy can't catch you.

Adventure mode was indeed awesome, it's literally D&D ported into the Doom engine. Tons of secrets in every level, treasure to find, special items to boost your characters or give bonuses on the strategy map. Best of all you can fully abuse D&D spells like Teleport or fly to finish some levels in literally seconds if you know what to do. Combat is switchable between turn based or real time but you can't actually move your characters (melee walk up to whatever target you select) so it's really clunky but still neat.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I remember all the reviews back in the day seemed to say that the varied elements made it into an unwieldy mix with neither part working at all. Have to check for myself now

I remember all the reviews back in the day seemed to say that the varied elements made it into an unwieldy mix with neither part working at all. Have to check for myself now

Probably just the usual reviewer derp being overwhelmed by the complexity of the strategic map. There are a ton of actions and lots of mechanics that are non-obvious unless you read the manual (for example, wars end at the end of every year and if you don't occupy land AND use the action to claim it as yours, you'll get nothing and just have to walk back home). The in-game help is quite comprehensive though so it's easy to figure out once you get into it. I wouldn't say it's a great game but it's interesting and unique.

EDIT: Just checked and you don't even need to run the installer. Simply copy all files to a folder and update BRSETUP.cfg in the game folder to point to the proper locations. Game runs and boots fine. Even windowed mode works perfectly well on modern OSs (press F2).

From what I can tell the 2nd and 3rd patch do actually require you to run them in a 16-bit environment, but they say they only fix minor problems so I wouldn't worry too much. 1st patch works fine and just extracts on top of the game.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Hype: The Time Quest.
In my memory it's a beautiful, challenging game with gorgeous scenarios, remarkable progression and amazing bosses (I was particularly struck by the dragon serpent in a sea of gold). I don't know if it really is as good as I remember from my childhood, but I would pay good coin for the chance to play it again -I never reached the end :negative:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadow Sorcerer was a AD&D tie-in that was a strange hybrid of TBS and real time exploration/combat (IIRC).
This one was interesting because it was a a sequel of sorts to the 2 previous Dragonlance games, Heroes of the Lance and Dragons of Flame, but with completely different gameplay. Story-wise the first 2 games were inspired/adapted from the first Chronicles book, but Shadow Sorcerer was based on the module that took place in-between Autumn Twilight and Winter Nights, and Weis and Hickman didn't write this story into book form until the Lost Chronicles many years later, as Dragons of Dwarven Depths. The radical gameplay change and that fact it told an official module story that didn't exist as a book made it particularly interesting at the time if you cared about Dragonlance, but I don't remember how good the game actually was.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
In my opinion Shadow sorcerer is poor compared with other D&D games of the same period (Eye of Beholder, gold box), with any game with decent combat or with for example a game like Drakkhen which has a similarly bad combat system but qualities in other areas.

I also agree that Birthright is a fun game overall.

Sizzle

Arcane
Can't believe this one still hasn't been mentioned - one of the zaniest, most original adventure games of all time: The Neverhood.

It also contains one of the best reading experiences in all of gaming - The Hall of Records. You can't call yourself a truly prestigious and monocled fellow if you've never read all of it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Neverhood seems to run fine on ScummVM, but it would be nice to get an official release on Steam or GOG. That is a game that deserves to be remembered.

Cael

Arcane
Isn't Gaia - The Fall basically Fallout Tactics 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom