Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Super Serious Scientific Analysis and Critique of BG2:SoA

Metatron

Augur
BG2 has way superior backdroppings thus it's obviously the game that has aged the best graphic-wise and is the most pleasing to look at in 2017. The number of character animations is of limited importance in a 2D isometric game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Kindly refer to the meaning of the word "seem" and contrast it with the meaning of the word "assert". Thank you.

You tried to act like a know-all by looking up a wiki ("seem"). There is no substitute for direct experience. Then, you tried to sweep what I said under the carpet. You deserve to be proved wrong.

However, I can understand your aggressive defensiveness. After all, you did assert that the knockback and knockdown effect is a special death animation when it isn't. I can understand why you would go all gung-ho to cover your mistake. You are not the first to do so and won't be the last.

Nope, edited it before you posted. Prove me wrong.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You should have already had a chance to fight Kuo-Toa in Death Knight of Krynn (Gold Box). There was also a Gold Box game where you fought drow (all armed and armoured with +5 items that disintegrated in the sun). I can't remember which one it was for the life of me. And beholders were all over Dark Queen of Krynn.
I must confess I didn't play the Gold Box games back then. I didn't have a computer and none of my friends who did played them. So, some BG2 encounters were probably fresher for me. But still, the graphics are so nice and it so looks like a D&D campaign that I probably would have felt the same anyway. It sure beat "Menzoberranzan" (my CRPG D&D underdark experience at the time) in terms of underdark venue.

And those fucking awe inspiring dragons...

Cael

Arcane
Nope, edited it before you posted. Prove me wrong.
It is still in your post where you onflated the knockdown effect with the punching holes in torso. In the same sentence, even.

As for the other, wrong again. I was merely listing the death animations I knew, hence the usage of the word "seems". Just because I provided a list does not mean I believe the list to be exhaustive, again as indicated with the usage of the word "seems".

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BG2 has way superior backdroppings thus it's obviously the game that has aged the best graphic-wise and is the most pleasing to look at in 2017. The number of character animations is of limited importance in a 2D isometric game.

If you have a puerile love for increased color depth and fidelity, then yes: to the uncultivated swine BG2's backdrops will certainly seem superior. But for those with refined tastes and who like to see actual angles from an elegant perspective, Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2 are where it's at.

uCJpmwK.jpg

Cael

Arcane
I must confess I didn't play the Gold Box games back then. I didn't have a computer and none of my friends who did played them. So, some BG2 encounters were probably fresher for me. But still, the graphics are so nice and it so looks like a D&D campaign that I probably would have felt the same anyway. It sure beat "Menzoberranzan" (my CRPG D&D underdark experience at the time) in terms of underdark venue.

And those fucking awe inspiring dragons...

Hahaha! You need to play the Krynn series. In normal DnD Gold Box, you might run into 1 or 2 dragons in the whole game. In Krynn? They come at you in groups. Low level is very much dependent on what or who you sacrificed to the RNG god that day :D

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It is still in your post where you onflated the knockdown effect with the punching holes in torso. In the same sentence, even.

That was just lazy forum typing. You, OTOH, clearly didn't know H2H had a death anim presumably because you have never played a H2H build. Bit sad. You prolly had to look up Big Frigger, just like you did the death anims.

As for the other, wrong again. I was merely listing the death animations I knew, hence the usage of the word "seems". Just because I provided a list does not mean I believe the list to be exhaustive, again as indicated with the usage of the word "seems".

Only a newbie to Fallout doesn't know H2H can trigger death anims.

OTOH IE's inventory system are superior to Fallout.

Debatable.

BTW, why are you so full of shit?

Why are you so butthurt?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Maybe you should follow your own advice?
All those Shit ratings and the shit in your sig is not excactly classy, but rather something a butthurt child could come up with.

Don't rant; it's unsightly. Try to stay classy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
All those Shit ratings and the shit in your sig is not excactly classy, but rather something a butthurt child could come up with.

Are you saying that he's not a shitposter, and that Tyranny and TToN are not shitty? If so, that would be on par with your comment that BG1 vanilla is not playable.

Cael

Arcane
Just leave the kindy kid to her own devices. She must have had a bad day at the GetUp! office and came here to vent. It was pretty obvious from the last two pages that she was spoiling for a fight and little else.

Anyway, to cut short the whole "my game's graphics is better than your game's" thing: One man's trash is another man's abstract art.

Sykar

Arcane
Just leave the kindy kid to her own devices. She must have had a bad day at the GetUp! office and came here to vent. It was pretty obvious from the last two pages that she was spoiling for a fight and little else.

Anyway, to cut short the whole "my game's graphics is better than your game's" thing: One man's trash is another man's abstract art.

Does that mean that this:

Mona-Lisa-Child-s-Painting--72359.jpg

is equal to

images

under the "right perspective"?

Elex

Arbiter
Does that mean that this:

is equal to

under the "right perspective"?
To the right person, one might even be better than the other. Who knows what goes on in the minds of Men?
100 years in the future all is possibile.

imagine a future where inclne crpg are the top selling games and call of duty become some obscure indie fetish.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Another thing I liked and that felt fresh in BG2 at the time was the fact that party members had their own agendas and personalities. I was used to games with full party creation and control, so having Jaheira leave the party during my first playthrough was a real surprise. Being the kind of old school player I am, it became top priority for me to get her back (the party always comes first). The only game without full party creation I remember playing at the time was Fallout, but since you don't have full party control, it feels "normal" that your companions should do their own thing. Mixing full party control with distinct personalities that actually impact the game was pretty new for me. Except for "Jagged Alliance" (Fidel, I'm looking at you) I don't remember seeing it before. And it was pretty well implemented since they didn't overdo it. I'd have hated having to chase after or wait for party members gone rogue every ten minutes. Here, it was enough to bring some salt to the meal, yet not enough to alter the taste.

Romances, on the other hand...:roll:

Xeon

Augur
I used to think the same, I used to prefer BG1 over BG2 but BG2's parts became a lot more enjoyable than BG1 with replays.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lilura has a good point generally imo about the visuals.The Fallouts and even more JA2 have more "clean" sprites, you can generally clearly see what is what on a glance. The BGs have amazing backgrounds but the toons themselves kind of mash together and create a "foggy" visual result.
Even the examples that I saw here that supposedly prove how much better BG is clearly show that.

Leitz

Learned
The only good thing about BG2 are the boss battles. The rest is inferior to BG1.
expand on that.
I don't like the graphics of BG2 because they're too stylized. Every place, room, plane, laboratory tries to look as outlandish and exotic as possible. I never liked that. I like it simple and pure like FALLOUT and JAGGED ALLIANCE 2.

Story in BG1 is better (it makes sense!). BG2 feels like a twist-dragger-story (what ever that is).

No exploration feel in BG2.

BG1 has Durlag's Tower; I was disappointed with every dungeon in BG2. I never liked planes in RPGs, again: they just try to be exotic and outlandish. I always end up thinking about the smile of the designer who is so proud of himself.

---
I guess if you replay these games a lot, BG2 is the better choice though and the battles are glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom