Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Odd Gods, a 90s-themed adventure through spacetime with simultaneous turn-based combat

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
So just how death works in every fucking game other than rogue-likes? Why use a specific term like permadeath at all or imply that it's even similar when it's not.
permadeath isnt exclusive to rogue like/lite whatevers. It has been around to describe permanent death, but still save,/laod able, since like fire emblem

Wot? In RL you died and that was it. No reloading. Wth are you referring to?

hate to break this to you because it may be a bit of a shock, but most RPGs in recent years just have your guys standing up and dusting themselves off if they "die" in combat. And even in many of the classics, notably those based on D&D, death is a reversible condition.

I figured as much. But to use the term "Permadeath" is really quite odd if you just mean dead but you can reload. Especially if you're trying to appeal to a 90s kid crowd. I've already heard someone say that permadeath is a "no buy" issue for them because fuck starting from the beginning. Grumpy Grognard , I really think you should clarify this. You don't have to give away spoilers on whatever rez system you have. But at least clarify if you mean ppl are dead but you can reload or if you mean true permadeath like "sorry, no save buddy. Start form beginning".

It becomes even more confusing when you hear the campaign is only 12 hours. Which further reinforces the whole permadeath/no save thought.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
So just how death works in every fucking game other than rogue-likes? Why use a specific term like permadeath at all or imply that it's even similar when it's not.
permadeath isnt exclusive to rogue like/lite whatevers. It has been around to describe permanent death, but still save,/laod able, since like fire emblem

Wot? In RL you died and that was it. No reloading. Wth are you referring to?

hate to break this to you because it may be a bit of a shock, but most RPGs in recent years just have your guys standing up and dusting themselves off if they "die" in combat. And even in many of the classics, notably those based on D&D, death is a reversible condition.

I figured as much. But to use the term "Permadeath" is really quite odd if you just mean dead but you can reload. Especially if you're trying to appeal to a 90s kid crowd. I've already heard someone say that permadeath is a "no buy" issue for them because fuck starting from the beginning. Grumpy Grognard , I really think you should clarify this. You don't have to give away spoilers on whatever rez system you have. But at least clarify if you mean ppl are dead but you can reload or if you mean true permadeath like "sorry, no save buddy. Start form beginning".

It becomes even more confusing when you hear the campaign is only 12 hours. Which further reinforces the whole permadeath/no save thought.

No worries, happy to clarify: you can save and reload.

We don't delete your save or anything. If there's demand for an ironman mode though, we might add it.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
Of course u can still reload and prevent hin from dyind

I'm serious. What the fuck are you talking about? Permadeath = dead forever. As in no save game. No reload. Nothing. Have you never heard of Nethack or Rogue??

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course u can still reload and prevent hin from dyind

I'm serious. What the fuck are you talking about? Permadeath = dead forever. As in no save game. No reload. Nothing. Have you never heard of Nethack or Rogue??

term evolve and used differently. stop being a tryhard fucktard, arguing rethorics and technicalities will get you nowhere

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
permadeath had and still has a very clear definition that even the modern roguelike-like or roguelites adhere to (religiously so)

nobody is using permadeath in the sense that you can't revive a character in-game but reload, that's just retarded

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
permadeath had and still has a very clear definition that even the modern roguelike-like or roguelites adhere to (religiously so)

nobody is using permadeath in the sense that you can't revive a character in-game but reload, that's just retarded
been used loosely since x-com, fire emblem, etc.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

By who? You? If permadeath = you can save and reload then every fucking game that doesn't have you bouncing up at the end of every combat or resurrecting at the nearest bonfire, has permadeath. I'm playing ELEX atm, I'm quicksaving and loading like a bugger with these early combats, are you seriously telling me you'd classify ELEX as having permadeath?

It's hardly 'technicality' to say that permadeath means 'permanently dead', it's just accurate.

As dream expert says, best stay away from that term or you'll simultaneously put off people who don't like permadeath and disappoint people who do.

*EDIT* I can see how it would make sense in a party based game to say that characters that die, stay dead. I'd just not advertise that the game has 'permadeath' or people will jump to the wrong conclusion.

Last edited:

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Cool, no worries - mea culpa. Updated the feature list text accordingly - we don't want to mislead people.

... I also know a few people developing roguelikes, and honestly, I don't want to piss 'em off ;)

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected

term evolve and used differently. stop being a tryhard fucktard, arguing rethorics and technicalities will get you nowhere

No one is trying to be tryhard anything. It's a very distinct term. It's like trying to argue that water isn't wet. It's just weird.

Few single-player RPGs exhibit death that is truly permanent, as most allow the player to load a previously saved game and continue from the stored position. The subgenre of roguelike games is an exception, where permadeath is a high-value factor of these games. While the player can save their state and continue at a later time, the save file is generally erased or overwritten, preventing the player from restarting at that same state. Players can work around this by backing up save files, but this tactic, called "save scumming" is considered cheating. The use of the permadeath mechanic in roguelikes arose from the namesake of the genre, Rogue. Glenn Wichman and Michael Toy, the developers of the game, initially did not have save capabilities, requiring players to finish the game in one session. When they did add a save feature, they found that players would repeatedly reload a save file to obtain the best results, which was contrary to the game design—which they "wanted to make it realistic"—so they implemented code to wipe the save file on reloading to prevent this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permadeath#In_single-player_video_games

Archibald

Arcane
But it does bring up an interesting question I think. How deaths in games like x-com and FE should be called? Many games simply have character auto-resurrecting after each battle or death is merely a phase till you resurrect your character via one tool or another.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
I mean what do you want to call it? X-com was completely save scummable. So was Fire Emblem. For most of us that was the norm. Even non RPGs..you died unless you reloaded ur save or you entered the right passwords (aka games like SNEs Star Wars).

EDIT: Permadeath is basically a forced iron man mode. Before roguelikes, I had never experienced true permadeath. It's truly a rare thing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Whether your chars are automatically resurrected after a battle or you have to manually reload a save, the gameplay isn't significantly different. If you want a term for games where chars are automatically resurrected, it's called decline.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
Whether your chars are automatically resurrected after a battle or you have to manually reload a save, the gameplay isn't significantly different. If you want a term for games where chars are automatically resurrected, it's called decline.

Yah sorry but those are very different mechanics. Permadeath is akin to ironman mode.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Whether your chars are automatically resurrected after a battle or you have to manually reload a save, the gameplay isn't significantly different.
Automatic resurrection means it doesn't matter if you win a combat with some of your party members dying. Dying for good unless you reload means if you want to keep those characters you need to win the fight with no one dying (unless there's resurrect scrolls or shit, but that at least still is a resource you have to manage). Not the same at all.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In theory yes, but from how most people play, the moment one of their chars dies they reload anyway, so the outcome in praxis is the same. In roguelikes, most people who play them actually roll a new character and try again (as save scumming is too much of a hassle and not really worth it), so the death is actually sticking for the most part.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You don't get it. The requirements for success in a fight are different. Automatic resurrection means only one of your party members needs to survive the fight for success. That makes it easier than requiring that all members survive.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
:oops: ups, you're right, it didn't register, but you're completely right

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom