Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it fair to kick someone who COMPLETELY unbalances the matches every time?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Let's say that before this person showed up, the matches were pretty close. Now that he and perhaps his friend are here, his team is winning with three or four times as many points, consistently. People are no longer trying their best because they know they won't win anyway. He uses the best gear and has far faster aim and reaction speed. It's a dog against a tiger. Other players could leave, but they might not find another populated room, and if they do, he might follow anyway. Should a kick system just be used for cheaters and rude people?

Don Peste

Arcane
Now imagine this person opens a loot crate, and only by watching, you earn an achievement. How would you like that?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Now imagine this person opens a loot crate, and only by watching, you earn an achievement. How would you like that?
Yeah, I don't care. I haven't played a Call of Duty online since 4. The Battlefront 2 beta was pretty lame, and so are the new Battlefields. I could probably stick with most of the multiplayer games that are already out forever, so I just don't care much about lootboxes.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Are you asking for a safe space? Are you feeling harassed and systematically oppressed by this mans skill privilege?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Why don't you just ask him to leave, for the reasons stated?

Let's say Gary Kasparov shows up at your local chess club, people would stand in queues to play against him right? But now imagine it's really shitty amateur boxing and some unimportant asshole who is a few leagues better shows up and beats up everyone. That would be not so cool would it.

So those are the two options: either a) the people stay and learn from the guy, which is the recommended option or b) you ask him politely to leave. If b) and he doesn't fuck off, kick and ban the shit out of that asshole.

When I run servers I usually play by ear and sometimes kick whole categories of people (an example would be getting flooded by Russkie kids who are guests and always go through the same antisocial behavior) - all that matters is that I have a group of people who stick with me and they can do pretty much anything they want.

What I mean is that you run a server like a patriarch or a dictator and that means making the right decisions. You don't run it like a SJW and especially dont ask us what is better because we don't know. It really just depends what is better for the game overall.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Boot him. Kicking the asses of people who've played a tenth as much as you isn't some glorious achievement, it's just being a douche.

If I'm dominating other players in a game effortlessly, I just leave. It isn't fun for me and I know it ruins the game for them. But then, maybe I'm just not an asshole.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Boot him. Kicking the asses of people who've played a tenth as much as you isn't some glorious achievement, it's just being a douche.

If I'm dominating other players in a game effortlessly, I just leave. It isn't fun for me and I know it ruins the game for them. But then, maybe I'm just not an asshole.
Generally, I'm the same. About a month ago, I played against a beginner, alone. I picked one of the starter loadouts instead of a custom one (Loadouts and unlockables are an insane idea to begin with, if you want balance.) because I knew the match was already gonna be unfair. I still beat him by 20 to 2 or something like that. When the round ended, he stayed in the lobby for the next map, but I just left, because I felt bad. I probably should have told him GG or something for not quitting. But he found a thread of mine on Steam later and said he didn't mind dying over and over if he could learn something. So at least he was cool with it. Most of the time, when I see very low levels alone in lobbies, I just leave and look for another.
what game is that anyway?
A shooter not nearly old, classical and balanced enough for most of you people. It doesn't have custom servers; only a vote system. I didn't think of custom servers until Burning Bridges mentioned them.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Such people are rare. You should send him a friend invite.
We did add each other, but I think it was for something else. The community is almost dead, with only about a hundred regulars, so I added a bunch of people from a thread who wanted to preserve it. He joined my friends list before that match, I believe.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
We did add each other, but I think it was for something else. The community is almost dead, with only about a hundred regulars, so I added a bunch of people from a thread who wanted to preserve it. He joined my friends list before that match, I believe.

If the community is only a hundred players I would not make anyone my enemy. In that case you must also consider that he may have no other server to play on.

I would make it a matter among gentlemen. If he wants to stay he plays with the greatest necessary handicap and if he still wins then the other players should deal with it.

P.S. Also it is advised to look out for a game that does not suck.

Ezekiel

Arcane

If the community is only a hundred players I would not make anyone my enemy. In that case you must also consider that he may have no other server to play on.

I would make it a matter among gentlemen. If he wants to stay he plays with the greatest necessary handicap and if he still wins then the other players should deal with it.

P.S. Also it is advised to look out for a game that does not suck.
Well, it hasn't happened. I only voted for him because someone I message a lot told me his guns are hacked and I thought his pistols did seem too effective at long range. Well, maybe it was both that and the fact that he demolished the other team with his friend every time. He didn't get kicked, but it pissed him off. He trash-talked for the next two matches. Afterwards, I wondered if maybe my friend was wrong about him cheating. The word "hacker" gets thrown around a lot in this game.

funkadelik

Arcane
Why don't you ask him to show you some things? I've played various multiplayer games where the difference between the good players and all the mass garbage players was just understanding game mechanics and how to effectively use them.

In BF4 I would play against and with some of the "hackers". It turns out they are just really good 95% of the time. I was also in the top 20 M4 users in the game, so I wasn't bad myself.

One guy would run around like infantry with a sniper rifle and would just destroy people because his aim was on point, where as most of the people with that rifle would sit and camp a mile a way from the action to get some scrub kills.

Vote-kicking people for being better is lame as fuck, defeats the entire purpose of playing online. Get good or get gone.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's say that before this person showed up, the matches were pretty close. Now that he and perhaps his friend are here, his team is winning with three or four times as many points, consistently. People are no longer trying their best because they know they won't win anyway. He uses the best gear and has far faster aim and reaction speed. It's a dog against a tiger. Other players could leave, but they might not find another populated room, and if they do, he might follow anyway. Should a kick system just be used for cheaters and rude people?

You can't find a player of equable skill to balance the teams?

thesoup

Arcane
If I play against someone who is significantly weaker, I give him some feedback on how to improve. If I lose to a much better player, I ask for feedback.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just played with him again. This is retarded. In a matter of four minutes, a round of capture the flags, he got twenty-two kills and one death. Both teams had two beginners and one high level before he joined.

Me: "They have Marseo. It's hopeless now."
Him: "There is a kick vote system."
Me: "Can you just leave, please? This is ridiculous. 22 kills in one round. You completely unbalance every match."

Of course, he didn't leave. After the next round of elimination quickly ended, my game crashed. I came back a few minutes later and the lobby was gone. Everybody must have quickly gotten sick of him and left. You need four players for this mode. That, or their games crashed too. But I'm not sure that happens. Usually, everybody just gets disconnected.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To me gaming is about overcoming challenges, I see no challenge in crushing beginners so I avoid joining those games.

I remember when EA gave away Battlefield 3 for free, I joined a game and went around slaughtering beginners who just started to play the game. It was so easy that I went around only with a knife and I still dominated.

I got bored of it after a single match and stopped playing.

On the other hand when encountering better players then me I revel in a chance to play against them. I might learn something new but the idea of defeating them, no matter how low chance, is what makes me wanna compete against them.

Basically its like in a single player game where you have difficulty settings, from easy to nightmare. Sure I will get the same ending animation if I play either on easy or nightmare but overcoming the challenge of highest difficulty is what, for me, makes the win the most satisfying.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
These people are full of shit. Everyone enjoys the feeling of going into a match and slaughtering lower-skilled players by the dozens, because it's a satisfying reminder of just how skilled you are after putting x amount of hours into the game. And when one of them rages against you for fucking him up, your first instinct is to go 'lol' and headshot him again with throwing knives while he's camping in the most obvious spot in the map.

Sure, it might get old after a while but there's nothing like drinking in the tears of anonymous people over the internet to make you feel like you're a MAN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom