Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

League of Legends Critique?

Valtiel

Scholar
Since i'm not educated enough in strategy gaming nor complex and deep tactical mechanics, I would like to know the educated opinion of the hivemind if there's some in depth discussion (on this forum or not) about Lol, or even better, some analysis/critique of this monstre-popular but yet so ill considered game among fans of complex tactical games (as far as I know,maybe i'm wrong). And no, I do not want to play the game to find out, I did some games with my overenthusiastic friends back then(who do not play any single player game anymore and are only in for the competitive / sport aspects) and as any other mp only game, it didn't catch me.

In b4: it's shit \eot.

Nirvash

Liturgist
You are all still sour cuz mobas "killed" base buiding rts...

Like it or not, the league is the most competitive online game.

some analysis/critique of this monstre-popular but yet so ill considered game among fans of complex tactical games

What even are those multiplayer "complex tactical games"? (really, tell me, i want to play those) Even competitive rts are all about manual skill with a very easy paper/scissor/rock meta.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Base buildings and multiple units had to go in order to give the rest of the world a chance against Koreans. Apparently, it was barely enough.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Like it or not, the league is the most competitive online game.

Guild Wars takes your pitiful watered down abomination of a game, chews it thoroughly and finally spits it out in disgust.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Nah, dotra 2 always been a shadow of the real one, years and years of subpar engine filled with bugs and a stale meta made cheaper and cheaper for selling stupid low quality skins.

Fuck icefrog and fuck valve.

Guild Wars takes your pitiful watered down abomination of a game, chews it thoroughly and finally spits it out in disgust.

Hell no.

The fucking istanced/arena pvp destroyed ALL the fun in mmorpg.

100% cancer.

Mazisky

Magister
League of legends is the game that introduced me to multiplayer and the only online game i play (i love single player games considering i'm 35 and played all 90's titles).
I love it.
I play it since 2013 and never got bored... this is strange cosidering how much i like single player stuff;
i hate the trend of focusing on multiplayer for every title nowadays but league is still one of my favourite titles.

it's easy to learn and hard to master in a way that both casuals and pro can have their place.

Also, it is completely free and real money is needed for cosmetic crap only.

I spend costantly 50 € for games that last for 8 (random fps) to 60 hours (rpg, strategy) and i've spent only 15-20 €
for a game i've played for literally months of effective time.

Give it a try

Last edited:
Someone that plays League of Legends in a world where Dota 2 exists can only be one of two things - either ignorant of the other game or completely retarded.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
MOBAs are cancer generally speaking but if you're gonna pick one, it probably should be Dota 2 as previously said.

Zerth

Arbiter
League of Legends, Its balance revolves around pleasing those kids from the so called 'professional scene'; and those braggarts from twitch showing off 'dem skills' by steamrolling the entire enemy team by themselves,not through superior tactical planning but by quick reflexes and try out the most ludicrous sheer damage item build available. Riot games loves to brag about the strategic depth that offers their champion roster and stuff, but the constant patch changes ensure metagaming funnels every champion into one or very few optimal roles or just render them useless.

So unless you only want to mess around with the rest of retards in soloQueue. You have to stick to the meta in order to grasp the shallow 'strategic value' from this crap.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I had decent time in LoL , I especially welcomed all of its quality of life improvements over the original DoTA which i used to play religiously.

The problem with the game in its current state is that its overdesigned, they became obsessed with righting every wrong that ever appeared in DoTA, but their solutions just kept creating more issues and so they keep digging themselves in more and more. At some point you just have to say this is how things are and if you don't like it maybe this isn't the genre for you.

Also it doesn't help that Riot itself is a complete fucking mess, ignoring their SJW agenda, the way they handle their esports scene, their teams and players is just atrocious.

As for the op idk if you're trolling calling mobas ''strategy gaming'' and ''deep tactical mechanics'' or you're genuinely so uneducated on the matter that you've never seen a real RTS, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, just open another thread asking for suggestions and I'm sure everyone will be happy to shove their personal favorites down your throat.

Mazisky

Magister
Someone that plays League of Legends in a world where Dota 2 exists can only be one of two things - either ignorant of the other game or completely retarded.

I thought dota 2 community was a bit more mature than league one but judging by those arguments and words, i was wrong.
Kids infestation must be there too

Valtiel

Scholar
League of Legends, Its balance revolves around pleasing those kids from the so called 'professional scene'; and those braggarts from twitch showing off 'dem skills' by steamrolling the entire enemy team by themselves,not through superior tactical planning but by quick reflexes and try out the most ludicrous sheer damage item build available. Riot games loves to brag about the strategic depth that offers their champion roster and stuff, but the constant patch changes ensure metagaming funnels every champion into one or very few optimal roles or just render them useless.

So unless you only want to mess around with the rest of retards in soloQueue. You have to stick to the meta in order to grasp the shallow 'strategic value' from this crap.

That's something, thanks

I had decent time in LoL , I especially welcomed all of its quality of life improvements over the original DoTA which i used to play religiously.

The problem with the game in its current state is that its overdesigned, they became obsessed with righting every wrong that ever appeared in DoTA, but their solutions just kept creating more issues and so they keep digging themselves in more and more. At some point you just have to say this is how things are and if you don't like it maybe this isn't the genre for you.

Also it doesn't help that Riot itself is a complete fucking mess, ignoring their SJW agenda, the way they handle their esports scene, their teams and players is just atrocious.

As for the op idk if you're trolling calling mobas ''strategy gaming'' and ''deep tactical mechanics'' or you're genuinely so uneducated on the matter that you've never seen a real RTS, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, just open another thread asking for suggestions and I'm sure everyone will be happy to shove their personal favorites down your throat.

I'm an humble ignorant in RTS yes, I will ask for enlightened advices, but I don't think i'll manage to play all the RTS classics just to make a comparison with the so much loved LoL.

For istance, what makes Dota (2) better than Lol?

Jokzore

Arbiter
The main reason why DoTA 2 people insist their game is better is the difficulty, its simply a harder game to play.

-Tower Aggro works differently, in DoTA 2 whoever is closest to them gets shot, in LoL it always prioritizes the minions unless you damage the enemy hero near it.

-In DoTA2 you lose money every time you die while in LoL you dont lose a single coin, this makes deaths more impactful, higher risk but higher the reward as well.

-LoL completely removed the concept of denying, in DoTA you could kill allied minions to deny the enemy hero both gold and exp.

-This isn't that important, but in DoTA you could also block minions with your body so they don't run too far ahead.

-Jungling in LoL means you simply go camp to camp gathering buffs, gold and exp and then looking for an opportunity to gank while in DoTA2 theres all sorts of techniques you can use to maximize your exp and gold from jungle camps. For example if you time your pull correctly you can stack camps on top of each other gaining double the reward.

-The heroes control differently, in LoL your characters turn and respond instantaneously and their attack animations/ timings are all similar. In DoTA2 it takes time for your character to rotate which makes kiting/running-away a bigger commitment , also character attack animations vary drastically, just because you mastered last hitting on 1 hero doesn't mean you'll be any good on the rest of them.

-Itemization is much more streamlined in LoL and it completely removes the sometimes dangerous ''secret shop'', a gank hot spot in DoTA.

-In LoL every character has the ability to teleport back to their base whenever they want to, this allows them to heal fully, regain their mana and buy any items they wish. In DoTA2 you have to buy a teleport scroll to do that or rely on a currier to carry your items for you, curriers can be killed though , dropping all of your hard earned items.

This is all purely off the top of my head, coming from someone who hasn't played either game in years, I'm sure a DotA purist would have much more to add to the list of differences, like river runes, the differences in warding, higher mana and hp regen in LoL, the bottle etc.

p.s. stop calling them RTS you heretic.

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Tower Aggro works differently, in DoTA 2 whoever is closest to them gets shot

There's a list out there that basically describes the conditions and their priority regarding tower aggro. While you put it in simpler terms, there is much more to it.

Steam guide link.
  1. Closest enemy hero attacking a friendly hero with auto attack
  2. Closest enemy creep attacking a friendly hero with auto attack
  3. Closest enemy creep or hero attacking the tower itself with auto attack
  4. Closest enemy creep or hero attacking any friendly unit with auto attack
  5. Closest enemy creep or hero
  6. Closest enemy catapult

So as long as you have a creep wave and that the tower is busy with them, you can spam spells under the range and dive a hero as long you don't auto-attack any enemy hero.

There was also a tech in DotA 1 back then that was called Orb Walking, where basically auto attack modifiers like Searing Arrows, Frost Arrows, Arcane Orb, etc. are cast manually in order to avoid tower aggro as long as you have a creep wave or someone else taking it for you. I have no idea if it works in DotA 2 however.

Nirvash

Liturgist
In DoTA2 you lose money every time you die while in LoL you dont lose a single coin, this makes deaths more impactful, higher risk but higher the reward as well.

That was long ago before the absolute bullshit comeback bonus gold in dota 2.

LoL completely removed the concept of denying, in DoTA you could kill allied minions to deny the enemy hero both gold and exp.

This isn't that important, but in DoTA you could also block minions with your body so they don't run too far ahead.

The deny by killing ally minions is a bad/retarted mechanic, at the core those are still "siege" games.

Deny in lol is still here, you bully enemy champ and and/or pushing your wave on enemy tower, making last hit hard. (lol got more creeps for this reason)

Jungling in LoL means you simply go camp to camp gathering buffs, gold and exp and then looking for an opportunity to gank while in DoTA2 theres all sorts of techniques you can use to maximize your exp and gold from jungle camps. For example if you time your pull correctly you can stack camps on top of each other gaining double the reward.

Same as the deny, a nofun/exploit mechanic.
Jungle in lol is not about uberfarming like dota, that's easy and fast, is about invade enemy jungle, gank lanes and control the dragon/nash/mininash.

The heroes control differently, in LoL your characters turn and respond instantaneously and their attack animations/ timings are all similar. In DoTA2 it takes time for your character to rotate which makes kiting/running-away a bigger commitment , also character attack animations vary drastically, just because you mastered last hitting on 1 hero doesn't mean you'll be any good on the rest of them.

The character animation thing is also in lol, is just that some dota 2 champs got a really, really retarted slow firing/hitting.
Do dota heroes also still do "random" damage?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Casual DOTA, granted, both Dota and LOL are absolute crap today. 7.00 ruined Dota, game was in a near perfect state during 6.86 and they fucked it all up after that with dumb shit like perk trees, the new items and retarded heroes.
t. ex-dotard

Zerth

Arbiter

Despite some time already passed and Riot made noticeable changes every season since then. Dunkey video's still prevalent today.
Let's take a look at some points He made:

-Deathtimers too short.

Definitely, an early kill feels like pretty mild advantage if u end up low of HP and port back to base in order to fully recover, losing roughly the same lane presence than your opponent lose when died. Thus you end up with 300g extra but some enemy minions pushing your lane went to waste. And your opponent paid little consequences for dying early, He pretty much will be returning back to lane before you, because the early game deathtimer is (7,5 +current level) sec.

Of course, champions designed to shine upon early to mid game (assassins and offensive leaning bruisers)would thrive since any minor advantage contributes to feed up their snowball effect scaling. But since death timers are so low; you need to be pretty efficient with the time you earned by playing aggressively and risky, otherwise this advantage will mean nothing after late game. Punishment for dying during early game is not nearly as harsh as late game (after 35 min), where most assassins and aggressive bruiser lose their oomph and die like flies against marksmen and tanks that only needed to farm near tower nice and safely during the entire game until their powerspikes kick in.

TLDR. Because of low death timers during first 25 minutes,Early-mid game champions have to work their asses harder than late game champs to ensure a victory. You have to be really good compared to the other ppl to carry a game with an early-mid game champion against foes with a functioning brain. Against autism, you'll get so fed without much effort given you know what ur doing and It'll not matter whether your enemy are around or not because you can just one shot them and keep ding another stuff.

These are also often champs with flashy animu movesets and high outplay capabilities, thus they are the favorite choices of streamers to cater on the biggest lol audience available.

-Bounty system punishes for doing good.

The more champions you kill, the more you worth in gold when you get killed. And the more you get killed without doing anything, the less you worth in money. So, taking objectives and farming is far more rewarding than getting kills. It only really happens at higher level of ranking matchmaking though, regular games usually are just retardo festivals of teams dying over and over and one or two champs snowballin' because of that.

- Terrible turrets.

Previous seasons, being near a tier 2 turret gave you a protecting shield. This made turrets harder to siege and dive.

- Ranking system doesn't work at all.

It was a common complaint long ago, that people usually got paired up with people far higher or below their current matchmaking rating (MMR). Means there was a good chance you'll end up with a keyboard mashing Ape as teammate instead of someone similar in skill. The opposite is also true though.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Deathtimers too short.

lol is a faster game than dota, DT "scale" and many of the games end or are in the bag before that 35 min late game phase.

Going for early or late pressure are both a viable choice.

So what's the problem?

Bounty system punishes for doing good.

No, this is a dota problem.

Those couple hundred bonus gold in lol change little.

Terrible turrets.

Tower shield was a old and useless bonus, turrets are fine and diving is very doable. (always been)

Ranking system doesn't work at all.

That's fine now, but is true than riot really fucked up in 2016 with the dynamic queue, that almost killed the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom