Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPG 101 for the ignorant PC gamer

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
As someone who doesn't know the genre at all, what all would you say is the required knowledge and recommended playing for this glorious discipline? I (and am sure many others) am a complete noob to this genre, and didn't play the classics on console, and currently play only on PC. What kind of experiences am I missing out on, and what are the experiences I can currently get on PC? What games do you recommend playing, and why? In case of the old classics, what are the best ways to play them on PC (if it is even worth it)?

Also some general questions :

1. What exactly is a ''JRPG''? I have been led to believe it is an RPG with turn based combat and lots of grinding, is it true?

2. What are the classic JRPGs, what are considered pinnacles / good examples of the genre and what are some good modern ones?

3. How are JRPGs different from normal RPGs?

4. Would you say it is a good idea to get into the genre? Ie would you recommend it considering the powerful experiences (sorry, no other words) or would you say it is more of an acquired taste / niche interest?

5. And finally, why are games like Nioh and Dark Souls discussed on this subforum when they're more like 3D fighting games? Is it just because they were made in Japan?

Thanks all! Don't forget to recommend some good ones on PC.

polo

Magister
A JRPG is basically an RPG made in japan. Easy.

On a serious note nioh and DS are here because of that reason only i think.
Most JRPGs are turn based yes, most have a lot of grinding, yes. But not all.

The best JRPG i've ever played is Snes chrono trigger, i come back to that piece of art every now and then, and still love it, and always enjoy it.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
JRPG is shorthand for RPGs made in Japan. As of today, it's a piss-poor shorthand, because there are a plenty of "JRPG"-like games not made in Japan (but rather China, Korea or even the West), and also because they technically never have been RPGs, strictly speaking. JRPGs share some common roots and similarities with Western RPGs, but are generally a completely different experience.

There is no strict definition of JRPG as a genre, either, not is it, strictly speaking, a genre. Some people tend to associate JRPG with the Dragon Quest series or the early Final Fantasy games, but that's also not that representative.

My advice is:
- If you have tolerance for old console graphics, get an emulator for SNES and/or PSX and play some of the old classics.
- Don't bother with PC ports (especially for older games) if you can avoid it. Some of the DS and Android remakes are okay.
- If you find that you dislike Square / Square Enix games, try some of the other styles (like Tactical RPG, or JRPGs with less typical combat systems)
- Go in expecting a completely linear story
- Keep in mind that pre-2000s JRPGs have some really annoying mechanics

Some of my favorite "typical, classic" JRPGs that could serve as decent entry points: Final Fantasy III (NES/DS), V (SNES), VIII (PSX), IX (PSX)

Something else to try if you don't like the above:

- Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - JRPG with MMO-like elements
- Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Tactics Advance (GBA), Tactics Advance 2 (DS) - "Tactical" JRPG
- The Last Remnant (PC) - interesting morale-based, squad-based combat system
- Valkyrie Profile (PSX) - JRPG+metroidvania (sorta)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX) - metroidvania with RPG elements
- Ys I & II Chronicles (PC) - top-down action JRPG
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC), Ys Origin (PC) - isometric action JRPG
- Xanadu Next (PC) - JRPG Diablo clone (sorta)
- Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2- (PC) - visual novel with surprisingly deep turn-based strategy and combat system
- The World Ends With You (DS/Android) - "present-day fantasy" story, touch-based combat mechanics

P.S. These are just games that I completed and liked. I know this doesn't include some "popular favorites" - no need to start a flame war over it, just post your own list.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
1. What exactly is a ''JRPG''? I have been led to believe it is an RPG with turn based combat and lots of grinding, is it true?

In reality, it's a meaningless term. It only makes sense if you use it to classify an RPG made by the Japanese. Most normies use jRPG as a blanket term for games they don't like, which is why you have some people doing interesting mental gymnastics to reason how Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma aren't jRPGs because they like them but hate other jRPGs.

If we classify jRPGs as RPGs with turn based combat then we run into interesting situations where games like the Wizardry series are quickly classified as classic examples of jRPGs, which doesn't make much sense.

2. What are the classic JRPGs, what are considered pinnacles / good examples of the genre and what are some good modern ones?

I'll let someone else handle this. I'm a bit too drunk to start listing a whole bunch of games.

Western RPGs tend to be more conservative in their mechanics whereas Japanese ones are quite often experimental. Sometimes extremely so.

4. Would you say it is a good idea to get into the genre? Ie would you recommend it considering the powerful experiences (sorry, no other words) or would you say it is more of an acquired taste / niche interest?

It couldn't hurt. There's zero reason to arbitrarily lock yourself out of a whole slew of games just because they're made in Japan.

5. And finally, why are games like Nioh and Dark Souls discussed on this subforum when they're more like 3D fighting games? Is it just because they were made in Japan?

They're Action RPGs made in Japan, how don't they belong here? That said, the jRPG sub isn't strictly for jRPGs. This is the place to discuss any and all Japanese games.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
11048.jpg

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Western RPGs tend to be more conservative in their mechanics whereas Japanese ones are quite often experimental. Sometimes extremely so.

It's more than that though:
- Story vs agency
- Linearity vs reactivity
- Emphasis on pre-written characters
- Grinding
etc.

Also for the mechanics, I'd also add that JRPGs (at least newer ones) tend toward complicated and obtuse. Western games tend to come with a "manual" explaining most of the mechanics, while Japanese games tend to have a lot of hidden elements discoverable through insane timesinks - or googling. Most recent example: NiOh makes you choose your starting bonus and spirit without telling you what any of the stats do.

Ventidius

Arbiter
1. JRPG literally means Japanese RPG, so the least degenerate usage of this term simple denotes RPGs made in Japan. Nothing in the label implies the RPGs themselves are good or bad, complex or simple, fun or boring, turn-based or real time, grindy or focused.
2. The most popular are storyfag games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.
3. They only differ insofar as they are made in Japan. Some Japanese RPGs are nigh-indistinguishable from Western counterparts in the same sub-genre. For example Japanese blobber dungeon crawlers like Elminage Gothic have more in common with Western RPGs like Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord than either of them have with Baldur's Gate, Fallout, or even Wizardry 8.
4. It is a good idea to get into JRPGs that are good, just like it is a good idea to get into Western RPGs that are good. It is a bad idea to get into games from either region that are not good.
5. Because these games are considered by some to be Action RPGs. I haven't played Nioh, but I love the Souls series and don't consider them RPGs at all.

Recs by sub-genre and in order of priority:

Blobber Dungeon Crawler:

Elminage Gothic
Elminage Original
Stranger of Sword City
Labyrinth of Touhou series
The Dark Spire
Etrian Odyssey series (trigger warning: heavy lolicon)
Dungeon Travelers 2 (trigger warning: heavy anime fanservice)
Operation Abyss/Babel, Generation Xth Code Hazard
7th Dragon

Turn-based tactical:

Fire Emblem series
Valkyria Chronicles series
Tactics Ogre series
Advance Wars series
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dept. Heaven series
Codename STEAM
Rebelstar: Tactical Command (developed by Julian Gollop but published by Namco)

Action RPG:

Dragon's Dogma
NieR Automata
Ys series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown

Storyfag(not an expert on this but these are the most prominent):

Final Fantasy series
Legend of Heroes series

Crafting/item collecting:

Atelier series

There is also Monster Hunter and its clones like Toukiden, but I am not sure I would call them RPGs. The Fire Emblem and Elminage series are arguably the pinnacle of their respective sub-genres in Japan, and IMO Dragon's Dogma is one of the best implementations of the concept of "Action RPG", in or out of Japan. So I would say start with those. If you want the "classic" jRPG experience, go for one of the classic Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy IV is IMO the best of those, though some consider VI to be better. Either works. If you want the same kind of experience, but updated, try one of the Legend of Heroes games, like Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel.

EDIT: I just noticed that you requested games specifically for PC. A lot of the games mentioned here are available on Steam, but some would require an emulator or getting a console. Still, I'm leaving the list as is in case anyone else finds it useful. That said, jRPG gaming has always inclined towards consoles, so if you are really serious about getting into these sorts of games, you really should consider getting at least a Vita or 3DS.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

- Story vs agency
- Grinding
etc.

None of these have anything to do with a game being a wRPG or jRPG, however. You have to judge a game individually for these elements, not if it's from Japan or from the west.

Ausdoerrt

Augur

- Story vs agency
- Grinding
etc.

None of these have anything to do with a game being a wRPG or jRPG, however. You have to judge a game individually for these elements, not if it's from Japan or from the west.
In a broad sense (on the differences between individual games), I agree. Specifically though, I'm yet to see something like choice & consequence come up in a JRPG. Unless we're also counting in Visual Novel / RPG hybrids, but even then the "choice" is usually limited to the variety of H-scenes.

And I don't think I've ever beaten a JRPG without grinding in some shape or form.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

- Story vs agency
- Grinding
etc.

In a broad sense (on the differences between individual games), I agree. Specifically though, I'm yet to see something like choice & consequence come up in a JRPG. Unless we're also counting in Visual Novel / RPG hybrids, but even then the "choice" is usually limited to the variety of H-scenes.

And I don't think I've ever beaten a JRPG without grinding in some shape or form.

Some of the SMT games have choices with consequences. Your choices during dialogue prompts will determine your alignment which then sets the end game path for you and in some cases, which demons you can recruit into your party, which is a significant thing.

The Romancing Saga games are non-linear where one of the most defining aspect of the mainline series is its C&C. It's quite unique C&C too since it's more about the game world evolving and adapting to the things you do and even don't do.

There are several jRPGs where you can beat the game without grinding. Either because there are gameplay systems that are meant to be exploited to circumvent the need to grind (SMT demon fusion, Atelier and Vagrant Story item crafting), some games just flat out don't let you grind because the XP you get from normal enemies is quite pitiful and the bulk of the character progress comes from items found and/or boss XP (Legend of Dragoon, Ys) and some games that punish you immensely to the point where you could easily find yourself in a situation where you just have to restart the game because of scaling encounters (The Last Remnant).

That's not to say that you couldn't grind in any of these titles, but it's not necessarily requirement.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I think it is fair to point out that reactivity was never as big in Japan as in the West. I can't think of any Japanese counterpart to the BIS/Troika/Obsidian tradition of games with relatively heavy focus on reactivity. Not to mention Iron Tower Studio, or even some devs like Piranha Bytes, who also tend to have some. Most of the Kickstarter/New wave RPGs like WL2, DOS, and Pillars also tend to have quite a bit of it. Heck, even games by Bioware and Bethesda usually have a bit of CnC sprinkled in there, certainly more than the average Japanese RPG.

The thing is though, reactivity is not everything. The RPGs that dominated the Western market before the likes of Fallout were dungeon crawlers or tactical RPGs like Wizardry or the Gold Box series, with little reactivity. Both of those particular sub-genres have survived and thrived in Japan while they have become anemic or even died out altogether in the West. The kinds of RPGs that have thrived in the West since have been Action RPGs like Diablo, The Elder Scrolls, and Mass Effect, on the one hand; and generalist RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Pillars of Eternity, on the other. The latter usually have a bit of everything, dungeon crawling, tactical combat, quests, reactivity, exploration, etc. A reactivity-focused niche - currently spearheaded by ITS - has also survived. That said, both generalist RPGs and ARPGs exist in Japan as well, the whole generation of Final Fantasy-likes being an example of the former, and the likes of NieR and Dragon's Dogma of the latter (with the caveat that generalist jRPGs don't have as much reactivity as Western ones).

What emerges from all of this is that Japan actually has a more diversified RPG scene, with plenty of options ranging from old-school blobber dungeon crawlers, to tactical RPGs, to generalist RPGs with a bit of everything, to action RPGs, to story-oriented games, and even some sub-genres that IMO have never even existed in the West, such as Atelier/Mana Khemia-type games that revolve almost entirely around crafting as their main mechanic(though, to be fair, I can't think of a lot of other Japanese games like these either). This makes it even more ironic that some people insist on referring to jRPGs as a relatively homogenous group of games (usually anime Final Fantasy clones in their minds), when the Western scene has been even more of a one-trick pony for a long time. The one thing that is true is that the reactivity-based sub-genre never really took off in Japan like it did in the West. But then again, even in the West the latter is merely a niche right now (and it is debatable that, despite its influence, it was ever more than that). It also goes without saying that reactivity-based RPGs, while valid in their own right, are not necessarily the best or the most valid sub-genre, even if the Codex has always had a soft spot for them.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
As someone who doesn't know the genre at all, what all would you say is the required knowledge and recommended playing for this glorious discipline? I (and am sure many others) am a complete noob to this genre, and didn't play the classics on console, and currently play only on PC. What kind of experiences am I missing out on, and what are the experiences I can currently get on PC? What games do you recommend playing, and why? In case of the old classics, what are the best ways to play them on PC (if it is even worth it)?

Also some general questions :

Thanks all! Don't forget to recommend some good ones on PC.
1. JRPG either means any Japanese-made RPG, from a variety of subgenres, or refers to a specific subgenre characterized by a focus on narrative and characters with relatively simple game mechanics. Since hardly anyone specifies which one is meant when they use the word "JRPG", this leads to endless confusion between the two.

2. For the JRPG subgenre, try Final Fantasies IV (1991), VI (1994), and IX (2000). For Japanese-made RPGs in other subgenres:

Wizardry-likes: see aweigh's thread containing Japanese Wizardry-likes, of which there have been a great manyhttp://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rdry-developers-updated-march-07-2016.105918/

Action RPGs: Demon's Souls (2009, PS3 only), Dark Souls (2011), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013), NieR Automata (2017)

SRPGs (i.e. tactics games with character customization/progression): Final Fantasy Tactics (1997), Fire Emblem series

Beat-'em-up with RPG elements: Dragon's Crown (2013, PS3 only)

3. As stated above, the JRPG subgenre, as distinct from the category of Japanese-made RPGs, has relatively simply combat and exploration mechanics, instead preferring to appeal to players through story and characterization, generally with a heavy contribution from graphics and music.

4. The JRPG subgenre certainly doesn't appeal to all, or even a majority, of Westerners who like RPGs. However, there is also the subgenre of Wizardy-likes, which all but disappeared in the West but continues to be developed in Japan. And the Souls games proved to be enormously popular action RPGs in the West as well as Japan. Different subgenres appeal to different people, whether the games are made in Japan or in the West.

5. Dark Souls would be far closer to a beat-'em-up than a fighting game, though I don't think it's much like the former. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are combat-focused, where the combat is real-time and highly-dependent on player skill, to an extent that in my opinion makes them only borderline RPGs. However, they do also possess a substantial amount of exploration, and some degree of character customization/progression in addition to equipment/inventory. Dragon's Dogma is more of a proper RPG, and is also focused on real-time, skill-based combat.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Some of the SMT games have choices with consequences. Your choices during dialogue prompts will determine your alignment which then sets the end game path for you and in some cases, which demons you can recruit into your party, which is a significant thing.

The Romancing Saga games are non-linear where one of the most defining aspect of the mainline series is its C&C. It's quite unique C&C too since it's more about the game world evolving and adapting to the things you do and even don't do.

There are several jRPGs where you can beat the game without grinding. Either because there are gameplay systems that are meant to be exploited to circumvent the need to grind (SMT demon fusion, Atelier and Vagrant Story item crafting), some games just flat out don't let you grind because the XP you get from normal enemies is quite pitiful and the bulk of the character progress comes from items found and/or boss XP (Legend of Dragoon, Ys) and some games that punish you immensely to the point where you could easily find yourself in a situation where you just have to restart the game because of scaling encounters (The Last Remnant).

That's not to say that you couldn't grind in any of these titles, but it's not necessarily requirement.
Cool, thanks for the examples, I should try some of these out sometime.

I have to point out though, that in the PC Ys games (Chronicles, Felghana, Origin, Napishtim) a couple of levels can make a difference between facerolling a boss and breaking your controller, and you rarely get "quite enough XP" by just playing normally, so grinding is actually quite encouraged (unless you claim to have superhuman reflexes or whatnot).

Last Remnant kinda goes both ways - you can indeed get punished for grinding XP (and can actually get locked out of some content IIRC), but at the same time you do get a lot of repetition when grinding for ingredients, especially thanks to the wonderful rare monster mechanic that just infuriated me to no end.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Japanese RPGs were heavily influenced by Wizardry and Ultima, but were often simplified so that they could be played on a two-button controller rather than a keyboard and offered much better graphics and music (i.e. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy). Whereas Western RPGs tended to get more and more complicated over the next 15 years or so, Japanese RPGs tended to just get more refined (for the 8-bit systems), and then had more and more story elements added (for the 16- and 32-bit systems). There are exceptions of course.

The early JRPGs can be a lot of fun if you play them as they were meant to be played (i.e. simplified versions of Wizardry and Ultima that are still very good games). These tend to have a reputation as being grind heavy, but in playing them recently I found that little to no grinding was required at all. Some early console recommendations:
Final Fantasy I-III
Dragon Warrior/Quest I-IV
Mother
Phantasy Star

With the 16-bit systems and on, I tend to lose interest in JRPGS as they focused more on story and got more linear/boring. There are still some great 16-bit JRPGs though:
Final Fantasy V and VI
Phantasy Star II
Lufia I and II
Chrono Trigger
Romancing SaGa series

A whole other world of Japanese RPGs exist for the computer systems that were released only in Japan, such as the MSX and PC88/98 platforms. These RPGs tend to fall into one of two styles:

1) Complicated and nonlinear games with tons of class/party/combat options
Sorcerian is a unique one
The Lunatic Dawn series
The Black Onyx/The Fire Crystal (very simplified Wizardry clones)
Tir-nan-og series

2) Linear story-heavy games (that are basically "visual novels" with combat systems)

Vorark

Erudite
jRPG is more about design decisions, I think. Take a game like Cosmic Star Heroine. It was made in the West but follows the formula presented by Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star IV. Would you put it together with Baldur's Gate, as an example of what western RPGs have to offer? In theory, no -- feels jarring.

Truth be told, as others already mentioned, "jRPG" is mostly a catch-all term. It's easier to just hump every RPG made in Japan in the jRPG label and be done with it -- and there's no problem with that. Play SMT Nocturne and say, Dragon Quest VIII, both PS2 games. Do they feel the same, aside from random battles? No. The Dark Spire and Pokemon Black/White, DS games. Again, they are nothing like each other. How about Dark Souls and Trails in The Sky, all available on PC? Completely different.

So just ignore these classification shenanigans, pick a couple of high calibre games and go to town. Asking "what is an jRPG" is basically "what is an RPG" with a Japanese twist. :lol:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There are exceptions to any rule, that's why codex can't define what RPG is either.
Still, it is a fact that the majority of jrpg games are extremely linear (no choices in events and often levelling, no interactive dialogs, no exploration, side content is limited or missing), have a very strong focus on main plot and characters, pc is almost never a blank state etc.
Other than that, it is a no-brainer to say that all jrpgs are either based or heavily influenced by anime, both in art style and plot tropes.
Also, I think that some of the design choices traditionally associated with jrpgs are there due to a simple fact that during '90s and early '200X, the primary platform for western crpgs was PC, while in Japan all games were made for consoles. Actually, during that period the terms console rpgs and jrpgs were often used as synonyms. This ended somewhere around the death of PS2 and the rise of XBOX360, when western rpgs swapped to consoles they borrowed a lot from jrpgs, just as jrpgs are borrowing a lot from western rpgs nowadays. At some point the only difference to remain between them will likely be the anime style.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
SRPG aka Tactical RPG = JRPG with turn-based, grid-based combat a-la Heroes of Might and Magic.

Don't know much about Agarest, maybe someone can chime in. Judging by the screenshots, it looks like a Visual Novel / SRPG hybrid.

If you're interested in this style of JRPG, I'd rather suggest you go for the classics like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There are exceptions to any rule, that's why codex can't define what RPG is either.

The thing is, having C&C is not the norm in western RPGs either. Real C&C and not just something that's cosmetic or affects ending slides.

Still, it is a fact that the majority of jrpg games are extremely linear (no choices in events and often levelling, no interactive dialogs, no exploration, side content is limited or missing), have a very strong focus on main plot and characters, pc is almost never a blank state etc.

Eh, disagree strongly. You seem to have a pretty limited experience with Japanese RPGs if you think this is the case.

At some point the only difference to remain between them will likely be the anime style.

Not really. Most western devs make games with mass appeal. Even RPG devs would like their game to be played by as many people as possible, which is why you only see very conservative RPGs made by the studios. If you want something truly unique then you'll have to go play a Roguelike or an indie RPG. On the other hand, there are several Japanese companies that thrive by making games for extremely niche audiences which means that their games can be quite unique. I'll use the Atelier games as an example since it's such an obvious one: the whole idea of these games is item crafting. How many western companies are making RPGs where the main purpose of the game is to craft items? Or doesn't have a plot that involves a Big Bad Evil? There's more to the variance than simply having an anime style.

Irxy

Arcane
I played the original Agarest, kinda fun but I wasn't able to finish it. The series is very focused on grinding and combat gets repetitive fast due to lack of tactical options and the abundance of random battles. Also the plot is basically about impregnating waifus which are your typical anime stereotypes, but with a little darker twist that everybody dies (not really a spoiler)... unless you grind like crazy for a secret ending.

Irxy

Arcane
Eh, disagree strongly. You seem to have a pretty limited experience with Japanese RPGs if you think this is the case.
Well, I played ~2/3 of jrpgs released for snes and genesis, ~1/2 of ps1 era jrpgs and about a dozen+ of ps2 jrpgs. Persona 5 is the only jrpg I own for PS4, though I'm grabbing most jrpgs which are released on steam nowadays, currently playing the Heroes series.
And while I wouldn't call myself the biggest jrpg fan, I'm well acquainted with the genre and all major series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom