Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition coming on November 15th, will include free Deadfire Pack DLC

Vorark

Erudite
Difficult to explain. In some ways it feels like a soulless re-imagining of Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine games and in other ways like an elevation of the material. The 3.0 + White March edition at least makes the "reimagined" part more robust.

I'm always reading how White March is what base game POE should've been. Is the dlc/expansion really this good?

Metatron

Augur
Difficult to explain. In some ways it feels like a soulless re-imagining of Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine games and in other ways like an elevation of the material. The 3.0 + White March edition at least makes the "reimagined" part more robust.

I'm always reading how White March is what base game POE should've been. Is the dlc/expansion really this good?

It's Icewind Dale good and not just because you're travelling towards snowy wastes. Don't expect anything earth shattering but if you enjoy a fun dungeon crawl romp with some cool background stories to said dungeons in the vein of the Icewind Dales (and I sure do) The White March is worth your time. The fact that it's more low key and the locations are more self-contained than the main game which tries to be Baldurs Gate 2 meets Planescape Torment but fails at both works in its favor.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you go in expecting Mask of the Betrayer/Planescape/Kotor II/Shadows of Amn, no.

If you go in expecting a Pillars of Eternity that is more like Mask of the Betrayer/Planescape/Torment/Kotor II/Shadows of Amn, yes.

It's sort of like the difference between Castlevania and Castlevania III. All the elements are there, but it's more polished, refined, distilled, etc.

(a) White March Companions feel more natural to the White March setting and less artificial and checklist (which isn't to say they are good or that you'll like them, but they feel more authentic and involved).

(b) narrative is more focused and better paced

(c) mechanics and story are better integrated

(d) there are more, better defined role playing options and choices

(e) encounter designs are better than vanilla Pillars

(f) there are more, better CYOA style sequences

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Thanks, guys. I don't remember which version I played, I think it was 1.0. Might be worth it to buy the WM pack and give the game a second chance.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
And this is why I wait a couple years until I buy games now, not only the price will obviously drop a lot I also avoid stuff like having 2 entries of the same fucking game in my library when these "definitive ultra complete master pack director's cut" editions come out, and I assure you every time this happens my OCD takes away at least 6 months of life expectancy.
The real cost of that is not being able to timely participate in the PoE discussions on the Codex with an informed opinion. Perhaps your post about Engagement could have changed everything?

eXalted

Arcane
Start game -> Reach Level 7 -> Go to White March I -> Go to White March II -> Stop playing.

Where would you put Concelhaut and Llengrath?
I think Concelhaut should be between WMI and WMII... or even later.

As far as I remember I was overleved for WM1 and still, it was a tough fight. Was great though, I really enjoyed it.

We became pals with Llengrath and I didn't fight her.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Siege of Crägholdt is the best combatfag/old school content in the game. Definetely do it, especially if you're an old tabletop guy who likes kitchy AD&D fluff. Easily my favourite content of the whole game.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I think we hear that because the expansion also brought a number of bug fixes and improvements to the base game.

I wouldn't say the content itself is so much better than the base game. It does have some really cool moments, but IMO it doesn't fit into the OC story/continuity and should've been a standalone. Not to spoil too much, but the end of WM2 is this huge, almost cosmic-scale event that feels like it should have been the end game, not a pit-stop on the way to the animancy hearings or whatever.

On the downside, it's pretty much a poor man's Icewind Dale. Also, WM2 is way better than WM1, which is 90% boring.

In short, the expansion a piece of decent content inexplicably squeezed in-between the cardboard-and-feces sandwich of the OC.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As far as we know right now, the Definitive Edition is just a rebranding of the "Pillars of Eternity Ultimate Collection" package, plus the new DLC: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/107937/

$100 to $40, nice.
If you look at it based on numbers only. Actually investigate what's in that "royal pack" that's as expensive as the base game: digital junk like ringtones and a Novella by MCA.
meh.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

My opinion of TWM1 on metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-1
My opinion of TWM2 on metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-2
The thread I made here, an expanded version of the former two: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-the-white-march-expansion.103304/

KevinV12000

Arcane
Obsidian has really lost its way, and these increasingly desperate marketing efforts aren't helping. The problem is simple: the game isn't fun. Fire Sawyer, hire some talent from Larian. Make fun, good, computer role playing games.

Making a sequel about pirates ain't helping, either.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I think instead of making a sequel, Obsidian should try to make something other than isometric. I would really like to play a fps rpg by them.

m_s0

Arcane
I'm holding out until the enhanced definitive edition.
It's no longer this straightforward, honestly.

Example: I've spent some time digging up info on the PoE score today, and it looks like there's the PoE soundtrack that's included in the Ringtone Royal Edition (and likely the lower upgrade tier as well), the deluxe soundtrack that you could've grabbed during the PoE2 campaign as an addon that's explicitly called 'the most complete version of the soundtrack to Pillars of Eternity I', and there's apparently an ever more complete, 'ultimate' edition of the soundtrack included in the ultimate digital tier of PoE2... that has it labeled 'digital soundtrack' without any indication whether it's basic, extended, ultimate, or whether it even includes the White March music which is separate to the original, basic edition, but (from what I've gathered) not to the deluxe edition. I'll just highlight that everything outside of the basic edition is connected to the sequel and its campaign, and not to the game the score actually originates from. And if you happen to be a backer of the original game you are SOL. And not to mention there apparently had been some audio issues with some of the files which are likely fixed now. 'Some of' being operative here.

This is completely bonkers to make any sense out of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there someone who cares that much about Pillars of Eternity's music?

All the oggs are available for listening in the audio folders so it's not like one can't fill in the gaps themselves.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Hopefully thy drop the white march prices I’m not paying 15$ for an expansion

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Hopefully thy drop the white march prices I’m not paying 15$ for an expansion

I believe you can get both TWM1 and 2 in a bundle for a reduced rate (22.79USD on GOG, but it's available for only 15$ for both DLCs on Paradox's website); but both TWM DLCs a marked improvement over the base game and are thus well worth getting,

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is good news. Now I can pirate the whole shit without need to download and install separate parts. Since I no longer plan to give money to Obsidian, this will be only way to try expansions to PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom