Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

himmy

Arcane
Is SoZ really that good?

I remember playing it after the nwn2 OC and just being burnt out i played motb after that and enjoyed it but never got back to SoZ.

Worth going back and finishing it? I think i was tired of the big party games and just could not get into it.

The only thing that I remember is that the I liked the overhead map. And that you ended up on some sort of island at some point?

Hellion

Arcane
Its main gimmick was the overhead map, yeah, and the fact that you visited areas from the main game's campaign after the events that unfolded there. Other than that, the plot involved humanoid reptilians that wanted to summon their god, so it was obviously an allegory about George Soros.

Haven't really played it since the year it came out, but as far as I can remember it was a decent effort all-in-all, nothing ground-breaking like MotB but still fun, with the occasional C&C in order to justify a few more future playthroughs.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My personal Obsidian top 5, less about quality and more about the fun I had playing them:

Alpha Protocol
Pillars of Eternity/WM
Mask of the Betrayer
Knights of the Old Republic 2
New Vegas

I think MotB had the best story, but never really enjoyed the NWN2 engine. New Vegas was (by its nature) the most expansive, even though the engine (and combat) sucked. KotOR had some of the best character work they've done. I loved the way AP handled C&C within the framework of what should've been a fairly rote shooter. And POE was, imo, just reasonably good across the board... without the highs of the other four, but without their lows also.

As for SoZ, I liked a lot of the chances they took with it (party-based dialogue, overland map, etc.), but as a whole, it felt very shallow to me. Another 6 months of iteration (if they could have afforded it) might have done wonders.

Prime Junta

I never liked MotB,really hate games with timers and generally the feeling of being rushed. That is the reason that i never played Fallout 1.

Indeed, the spirit eater mechanic is an excellent
dumbfuck.gif
detector.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never liked MotB,really hate games with timers and generally the feeling of being rushed. That is the reason that i never played Fallout 1.
Timers are an underutilized mechanic in all games, and they are underutilized because of retards like yourself. Stop posting on this website.
Go hang yourself on your guts while showing bags of broken glass up your ass,faggot scum!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A lot of interesting things could be done if missing a time limit meant altering the conditions instead of outright failing (where applicable).

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
What if missing the time limit just altered the possible endings and events? Then you would need to play it several times to experience everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What if missing the time limit just altered the possible endings and events? Then you would need to play it several times to experience everything.
I get why other people like such things,it is just not my thing mate. I like replaying games because i think that they are great games,not because i missed a bunch of shit the first time.

Xeon

Augur
I think I am alright with Timers if its manageable, in Fallout 1, you could extend the time limit but I read that there are some consequences of you exposing the location of the vault, that's pretty good. Also in AP iirc there was a mission where you needed to save two people before a bomb is set off or something, if you are late both die or one or you could save both. Having similar thing like that in Wasteland 2 would have been good instead of being forced choosing between 2 locations just because.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A lot of interesting things could be done if missing a time limit meant altering the conditions instead of outright failing (where applicable).
I hate missing things in games,love when you get to experience the whole game in one playthrough.

You want to exhaust the whole game in one go?

Not my ideal by any stretch, but I suppose it’s fair. Dungeon crawlers are fun too.

himmy

Arcane
Timers are an underutilized mechanic in all games, and they are underutilized because of retards like yourself. Stop posting on this website.

Wow, it's as if different people are looking for different things when playing video games. While the time limit might just be another difficulty variable for some players, it could be a complete deal-breaker for those players who play video games exactly to escape that sort of stress and pressure they have to deal with in real life.

Sentinel

Arcane
1. KotOR2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Alpha Protocol
4. Mask of the Betrayer
5. Pillars of Eternity because everything else was kinda shit and I need a no5

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I hate missing things in games,love when you get to experience the whole game in one playthrough.

You want to exhaust the whole game in one go?

Not my ideal by any stretch, but I suppose it’s fair. Dungeon crawlers are fun too.
I just like to take my time and explore and look around,i play games for the exploration and the story. I spend like 50 hours in the second chapter of BG2 and 30 in the first one in ELEX. If you enjoy running around skipping thing because you have so timer,well more power to you mate. It is not my job to tell you how to enjoy games,everyone is free to enjoy games as they see fit.
I don't do like a meaningful choices that gate small part of the game,like choosing between shadow thieves and vampires in BG2. I hate shit like tyranny,where you have to choose 2 out of 3 because you don't have time,even if you are able to roam the world map for 100 days.

Drax

Arcane

Yeah, that's what I want when I get home after 8 hours of following orders and dealing witth deadlines, to have some random developer tell me to hurry up because he doesn't know how to make exciting shit otherwise.
Fuck off and die, retard.

:love:

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't remember,was storm of zenith any good?

Yes, Storm of Zehir was very good. But its primary design was as a throwback to older games from a more civilized age. You create your own party, there are 2 large overland maps to explore, and the focus is on D&D style adventuring rather than an epic story.
Yeah i remember this,but it had annoying random encounters with a very strong enemies. I am downloading the complete edition.

Xeon

Augur
It was alright, liked world map and how skills/race/gender and all that work in conversations, don't remember if Wasteland 2 used a similar system but it was the first time seeing that and it was pretty awesome. Maps aside from the last location are extremely small. Don't remember if it had any good story or none combat quest.

I think only one boss I couldn't defeat and that was from MotB. Was pretty great to see it tho.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It was alright, liked world map and how skills/race/gender and all that work in conversations, don't remember if Wasteland 2 used a similar system but it was the first time seeing that and it was pretty awesome. Maps aside from the last location are extremely small. Don't remember if it had any good story or none combat quest.

I think only one boss I couldn't defeat and that was from MotB. Was pretty great to see it tho.
It was first NWN2 version that didn't let you rest wherever and whenever. You could not rest in dungeons and for world map you have to buy and use limited camping stones or something similar. That alone changed how it was played by a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom