Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Direwolf

Arcane
This doesn't surprise me. Go back to Call of Duty.

Ah, you are one of those "muh community" types, got it.

Which once again proves that classictards never actually played vanilla. If they actually did they would remember that nobody gave a fuck about "community" back then. Same as now. To get even tiny bit of negative/positive reputation you had to do something really really dumb.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have greats memories from Vanilla. I joined just before they implemented the PVP system (rank system?) and some battlegrounds (Warsong Gulch was first...I think). I also remember Will of the Forsaken being a 30 second+ immunity and elite Sons of Arugal would roam the land murdering lowbies. Yet, I am having trouble remembering all but a handful of people, which is depressing. Part of the charm was certainly wasting time in guild chat, but those days are long gone.

I am curious (and concerned) what patch they will roll out. Blizzard did class "revamps" between 1.12 and 1.16 if I remember correctly. I also remember Shamans being nerfed to the point someone wished the WoW CM would die on the official forum (oh the nostalgia!).

You're full of crap. You never played vanilla. You read stuff about it and maybe watched some videos/played on private server. 99% of classictards are like you.
Uh, that would make the many months I wasted on Vanilla all the more awkward, especially the times I wasted in Molten Core. That would also make the time I spent to get the Warlock Dreadsteed very awkward. In fact, I should still have the urn, the wheel, and the instructions in the bank. I am not sure how I would have gotten those items from watching a video. Like I said, it's based on recollection from a long, long time ago. Memory is subject to error my friend, and as shown above, my memory of the patches is wayyyy off (warlock revamp was not 1.12). Not everything is a conspiracy.

I definitely remember Will of the Forsaken being a status effect though.

Parabalus

Arcane
The only thing on specifically 1.12 I see is cross-realm battlegrounds. Don't see how that changes the whole game to be popamole or even PvP. Serious PvP has always been arenas, not BGs.

There were no arenas in vanilla, so that point is kinda moot. BGs and duels were as serious as it got.

The more I look at the notes the more I doubt they'll start with 1.0., doubt anyone wants stuff like battlegrounds without battlemasters or similar.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's my point. There has never been serious PvP in vanilla. I'm fine with them releasing it at 1.12 with bug and exploit fixes, as long as they buff the raids to compensate.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If flying, pallies on horde and shammies on alliance killed the game for you, then maybe the game wasn't for you in the first place? Those are incredibly specific and almost irrelevant aspects that the game doesn't revolve around. It only revolves around that if you think the "faction war" and "world pvp" were a thing. Which they weren't. Yes, flying shouldn't have been introduced, even Blizzard have admitted as much, but it's very far from killing the game.

Black_Willow

Arcane
The more I look at the notes the more I doubt they'll start with 1.0., doubt anyone wants stuff like battlegrounds without battlemasters or similar.
Yeah, that's what I wrote - nobody wants fun and adventure, everybody loves automatic queueing and other popamole.

Parabalus

Arcane
Yeah, that's what I wrote - nobody wants fun and adventure, everybody loves automatic queueing and other popamole.

Sitting in the AV tunnel hardly qualifies as an adventure, you seem hardcore butthurt for some reason.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I'm not "getting this" because you are WRONG! DUUUUUHHH. What "server cooperation", what "community"? There was no such thing! Or did the quotes around "community" not tip you off? Of course it was easier to find people, that was the point. The problem is that you required finding such people, had you been doing the actual content, which was hard and required cooperation and socializing, you wouldn't have used LFG almost at all! The only community that ever mattered was your guild. WoW wasn't "ruined" by you not knowing who the best healer on your server was, that's so irrelevant it hurts, although you could still check using WoWlogs or whatever the site was called. In my time on Kronos and even retail vanilla/TBC I didn't know any "famous" people on the server, if there were such, but my experience wasn't diminished. I only ever talked to people in my guild and we helped each other with crafting and such, I didn't randomly stumble on people. I also had to make an application to the guild for them to consider me for a raid spot, even though I was one of the best healers in the server, they didn't just randomly invite me because they had heard I was good.

There was also no "struggle" with heroics to build a community around. Had they been difficult enough to not be able to be done by random people, trying to find people who you could do them with would've been a priority and you could create connections. The easy 5-mans did more damage to ruin "the community" than LFG ever did. The gulf between 5 mans and the hardest content was immense, so much so that only <1% of players did the hardest content.
Community:
"a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common."
Server only battlegrounds and heroics forced players to work alongside people in their server, afterwards lfg and bgs would simply match you with players from several other servers, to the point where you'd be lucky to find another player on your server, unless you were on one of the handful of max pop servers. I'm not certain if you're being obtuse on purpose or simply do not understand the concept of what a community is. For the last time, when you are forced to interact with people on your server only, rather than the multitudes of other servers, much like a school or village, you learn who is who, and are able to form connections because you are in the same area and can reliably see each other, unlike lfg and battlegrounds which often had you meet people from other servers you'd never meet again, and had no investment in trying to get to know you, because they ran back to their own server and would likely never see you again, unlike when you share a server and were forced to deal with people solely on your server. In all actions on the server, people would learn of each other through shared experiences whether they be questing/pvping/pveing/farming/ganking and often make connections with others because they were stuck on the same server as these people, and were forced to work with them alone. LFG and BGs removed this, which killed the community. The community, much like electricity takes the patch of least resistance.
So they imagined all sort of amazing shit that never actually existed.

Yes, vanilla is completely different than what people have mythologized it over the years. It's still a better version than retail, though, so that's incline, I guess. It will be interesting to see how far this goes and what the results will be, also whether many people will stick with it to the end, or they'll go back to retail en masse before they even hit 60. There is a market for vanilla, obviously, private servers have proved that, but we'll see how large that market is now that everyone who plays retail has "legal" access to it. People will obviously return specifically for it, too.
I doubt you've ever actually played vanilla, or anything before wotlk.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I remember that first time I played wow there was no draenai, so i must have played vanilla, and it was then when I had most fun with wow.

I was really dissapointed when i saw ally shaman and horde pally, also blood elf and draenai sucks, don't even ask me about pandas from pandaria.

Quatlo

Arcane
To be honest battlegroups were pretty good addition, a lot of the servers had unbalanced pops and one of the factions had to wait a fuckton to get BG invite, the player pool was actually pretty small so you'd meet the same people all the fucking time, while battlegroups werent that big in the first place so it only gave you a bigger pool of people, you'd still meet the same dudes. But the whole crossrealm play and lfg was the single thing that murdered the game. It wasnt flying, it was enabling lazy bastards to just sit near the AH, do nothing and still get rewarded with groups for instances with instant teleport to it as a cherry on top. Then they just shat on it with instancing that made questing in places like Hyjal or Icecrown a fucking single player experience.

Also Blizzard is removing pvp servers and only leaves an opt-in system so 1 step forwards 3 steps back, as always.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also Blizzard is removing pvp server and only leaves an opt-in system so 1 step forwards 3 steps back, as always.

source?

btw anyone knows if at current blizzard wow team there is anyone left that worked on 2004 wow ?

Quatlo

Arcane
Also Blizzard is removing pvp server and only leaves an opt-in system so 1 step forwards 3 steps back, as always.

source?

btw anyone knows if at current blizzard wow team there is anyone left that worked on 2004 wow ?
They said so on Blizzcon i think.
There are also PvP updates, including new arenas in Tiragarde and Zuldazar. Also on the way is a new Battleground called Seething Shore, a preview of which is coming in patch 7.3.5. Additionally, Blizzard is removing the PvE vs. PvP server division and providing the choice to opt into PvP.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11...tails-on-world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth

I love how this is only a footnote in that stupid ign news. Sorry for shitty source but I just heard from a dude that heard from a dude so I had to look for something myself.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
that is for battle for azeroth though, we don't know what they will make in classic.

Quatlo

Arcane
that is for battle for azeroth though, we don't know what they will make in classic.
Im seriously worried that "classic" will have a fuckton of their retarded "improvements" though.
Remember, we think we do, but we don't.

SC Remaster only happened because gooks would be up in arms if they changed something and because it was made by a third party, not the hacks in Blizzard.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
because it was made by a third party, not the hacks in Blizzard.

Blizz has hinted they want to hire the private server Nostalrius guys to help making the classic server.

Would be funny if Blizz would be unable to replicate their own game and they needed fans to make it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The current state of wow today

a1apyjs0etwz.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
ColonelTeacup, here's my character from TBC -> https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/dragonmaw/dustyy

He's the only one I haven't leveled past 70, so "you haven't played pre-WotLK" is off the table entirely. I already linked my Kronos character, but I'll do it again -> http://armory.twinstar.cz/character-sheet.xml?r=Kronos&cn=Lacrymas . Like me and Direwolf explained, all the bullshit you are spewing about "reputation" and "community", and "server cooperation" is just that, bullshit. You are the one who simply can't understand that those things were, and still are, immaterial and some vague memories you have of the "good" parts of vanilla. I won't repeat myself anymore, you are just wrong on all counts. Not to mention that you keep moving the goalposts, if your definition of a "community" is "people in the same place", then yes, that extremely general definition applies to vanilla/TBC servers, that doesn't mean it amounted to anything or people cared about such a community.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
watch out guise, we got a vanilla stranglethorn valley veteran here, he spent 40 hours in Alterac Valley in a foxhole

Lacrymas in Alterac Valley

hqdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom