Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd Gods - phase-based spacetime travel RPG about the 1990s

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
It takes time to aim and fire a pistol - in that time, the highwayman can try to interrupt your attack, dive out of the way, or attack first/faster. That's all built into how our turn mechanics work.

Aside from the 'will hit every time' aspect (—with mentioned caveat), it's an interesting mechanic... but how is that ever a turn? If it's the opponent's 'turn', how can the target choose to dodge on the opponent's turn? How is that not imposing upon the opponent's turn?

All turns happen in the same phase. So in a sense, imposing on other peoples actions (parrying a sword thrust, dodging out of line of fire, interrupting) is something that happens quite a lot - intentionally.

We use the principle of 'imperfect information', which I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread. That means - when you're planning your turn, you look at the enemy's position, facing direction, stance/telegraphing animation. Different enemy types have patterns, also, but I'll get to that later.

Glop_dweller said:
*Many turn based games do allow for actions that coincide during the active turn, but these are generally automatic, rather than dynamic options. Where those who acted previously chose to delay their action (like setting an overwatch/guard option), or it could be a statistical evasion (like in Fallout 1 & 2), where the attack would have hit, but for the opponent's armor/dexterity; and it animates a dodge.

Yep that's standard in a lot of turn-based systems, but our system works differently to that. It's designed to be deterministic, and to reward tactical positioning and observation.

For example - a dodge in our system both animates the character and physically moves them, as positioning is crucial to our system. That dodge can be interrupted or intercepted though, much like other combat systems, but ours handles that a little differently.

Glop_dweller said:
Generally in turn based (combat) games, the active turn moves (decides an action) with the complete foreknowledge of all that has transpired in the round before them; including what combatants are primed for overwatch or auto actions. Your system would seem to allow dynamic choices to occur during another's turn, but before their results (possibly nullifying their action)... Albeit the distinction is subtle; who is to say that the attack missed for a statistical failure, or a intra-turn defensive action. I guess it would come down to whether the player gets the option (at will?) to interrupt the action of the opposing turn; that's where it no longer seems like a turn to me. Does this happen equally for the player's attacks upon NPCs? (Do NPCs get the option to interrupt the player's turn with a defensive action?) If it's 100% equal for both, then it would seem fine—in a way, but it certainly blurs (complicates) the line between turns.

I think I see what you mean. TLDR - combat's deterministic, and thus can be 'equal', but there are still rules.

100% equal scenarios (stalemates) are rare, but they're designed into the system. In a 1v1 swordfight, for example, a stalemate is like when... Inigo Montoya and the 'Man in Black''s swords clash, or an Errol Flynn swashbuckling movie, and make that satisfying 'ching' sound. Stalemates and parries can cost stamina, so you have to be careful. The idea is you can parry, but not indefinitely.
pbr_038duel.jpg

• A turn has two phases - 'planning', and for simplicity's sake, 'go'.
  • Turns are made of time. You choose how to spend that time.
  • During the planning phase, the game is effectively paused, as in classic turn-based.
  • This is when you plan your actions. So does the AI - and this is where the 'imperfect information' principle kicks in. This is where you can observe, figure out what the AI's next move is, and try to outwit/outmanoeuvre/outmuscle them. Feints are buggers, though, and enemies with advanced training are harder to predict, although their behaviour patterns can be learned.
  • Attacks may be fast (say, a bayonet thrust), but light, although it does good damage. *Fast* in our system means it happens quickly - literally quickly, not just 'stat roll quickly'.
  • Other attacks, say a 2-H claymore sweep, are slow, but heavy - however, they do exceptional damage, to compensate. They take longer to execute, and are generally easier to read from their telegraphing stance/anim.
  • All actions - attacks, defensive moves, techniques, moving, dodging, reloading etc, work along these lines. They have speed, strength, and are triggered during the 'go' phase. A fast attack can interrupt a heavy attack that hasn't 'completed' yet, but it depends on the weapon and type of attack .
  • During the 'go' phase, these actions play out over a period of time (or 'sub-turns', in a sense), and resolve according to the rules. This means you can do stuff like:
    • 'Lead' a moving target if you can predict which direction they're headed.
    • Interrupt a heavy attack, dodge enemy fire, parry a thrust, etc.
    • Intercept an enemy who's trying to flank a member of your party.
    • Line up friendly fire traps for the enemy (engage an enemy in melee, and if a sniper picks you up, duck/get out of the way, and enjoy the result as your melee opponent hits the floor). Also never gets old.
    • But the enemy can do all that also, so you have to be careful. Etc.
    • Shoot down a charging berserker with an uzi, so long as you can pick their line of approach. Never seems to get old.

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.jpg

Glop_dweller said:
**This was the problem with FO3's V.A.T.S. attack BTW; (touted by some as the turn based option—though it of course wasn't). It was like an I-Win button for the player, one that afforded only the player to have multiple free attacks on opponents, and with a bumped up 90% damage resistance during the assault. The NPCs never got their own turns to return fire using the same feature; and (due to the realtime nature of the game) what attacks they performed during the players V.A.T.S. assault did only 1/10th the normal damage... for some one-sided magical reason. Does your system mean that the player gets to act, and also act again during the opponent's turn (if their character is attacked by them)? Can they do this for everyone that attacks them in the round?

Answered above, I hope. There's a lot of assumptions in there, it's kind of hard to unpack... Our basic implementation is pretty simple, in essence - it takes 1 second to move say, 1 metre. It takes 1 second to perform a quick sword slash. How you spend the time during a turn is up to you.

Glop_dweller said:
***If turns are considered concurrent actions, and a combatant gets attacked by multiple opponents... How can they be defending against each at the same time?

Being outnumbered in OG's system can be brutal, but with clever manoeuvring, the 'simultaneous' turn mechanic really shines here - a single character has a manoeuvrability advantage against multiple opponents, who might slow each other down in their pursuit. You can also trick them into aforementioned friendly fire scenarios. Kiting can work, but if an enemy is predicting where you're headed, you can get into trouble.

Whew. Sorry for the over-explanation - it's late, and I'm tired. If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PC Gamer interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/odd-gods-is-a-90s-style-rpg-about-the-90s/

Odd Gods is a '90s-style RPG about the '90s
Time-traveling teens go on an excellent adventure in an RPG with turn-based but simultaneous combat.

Two things are notable about the pre-alpha demo of Odd Gods I'm playing. One is the characters I choose from: either a modern-day skate kid or goth. Soon I meet a Scotsman from three centuries earlier armed with a saber, who becomes my companion, and the two of us explore a building full of junk from different eras, find some secret doors and a half-finished ritual, and fight cultists. Which brings me to the second notable thing.

I gave orders to both characters, but they didn't complete those orders until I hit end turn—at which point my opponents moved as well. When I took a shot at an enemy the hooded jerk ran out of the way and the shot went wide. When I aimed a kick at a cultist, they retaliated in kind and we knocked each other to the floor like a scene out of a slapstick comedy.

Odd Gods is an RPG about time, in both its story and its systems. The main characters are time-traveling kids from the '90s who pick up companions from other timelines as they bounce between them, and the combat combines turn-based and real-time in a way that's reminiscent of Frozen Synapse but hasn't been done in many other games.

Gil Maclean is director of Inn Between Worlds, an Australian indie studio made up of former employees of bigger developers like EA and Irrational. He tells me what the deal is with this top-down time-travel RPG.

PC Gamer: Is this your first indie project?

Gil Maclean: Strictly speaking it's Inn Between Worlds' first indie project. The team is made up of people who've done at least 10 years triple-A, maybe five to 10 years indie. We've got a lot of experience on the team. The first project I ever worked on was a remake of Ultima V, which was a mod project. We received decent critical praise, remade an open-world RPG using a modern engine. I was just a writer and tester on that. From there I went on to professional game dev, which I've been doing for the last 15 to 20 years.

What's the high-level pitch for Odd Gods?

GM: It's a hardcore '90s-style RPG about the '90s. We focus a lot on all the tropes endemic to the '90s, all the archetypes and so on. If you look at high fantasy like D&D or Pillars of Eternity or Divinity, which are all awesome, they all fall along certain lines. You have paladins, you have fighters, you have rogues. You have turn-based or real-time-with-pause combat, you have spells, and so on. That's cool but we think we should focus on aspects of the '90s so instead of a fighter or paladin or rogue you roll a subculture. That could be a skateboarder or a goth or a dramahead or a jock.

Ditto instead of copying an alignment system from D&D, we rolled our own alignment system based on the '90s theme we're trying to sell, so instead of evil/neutral/good you have Mainstream Music, Alternative Music, and Underground Music. On the other axis you have different music genres like pop-punk, hip-hop, alternative, grunge. No disrespect to Blink-182, I would consider them Mainstream Pop-Punk. But you could also have Dead Kennedys as Underground Pop-Punk.

What subculture you choose and what music genre you choose determines how people react to you in the world. The example we've been using, if you travel through space-time back to the War of the Roses in medieval England then there are knights on horseback running around, you don't know what to do. You get ambushed on the King's Highway by this burly dude, it looks like he's wearing the tattered remains of a sweatshirt. You realize that's a jock from the '90s. He sees you and he puts down his blade and he's like, "Can you get me out of here? Where am I? I've just been beating people up for ale on the road for years." And then you get talking, sitting by the campfire and he asks you what music you're into. You say, "I'm a goth and I'm into industrial metal." He's like, "That's weird. Why do you like that?"

You end up in a dialogue with most of the characters you meet, they all have their own opinion on what was the best music genre of the '90s. When you're recruiting D&D party members [alignment] determines whether they will respond well to you or not. Which for us, that's consistent with what it was like living in the '90s, the pre-digital era. What subculture you belonged to, what music you liked, really determined how people treated you.

It was tribal.

GM: Absolutely. And that feeds back into our main storyline as well.

Which is about time-traveling kids from the '90s. Was Bill & Ted an influence? Is that a thing you're referencing?

GM: To a degree. I love Bill & Ted. In Bill & Ted they travel through time and collect famous historical characters to join their party, to save the world. That's cool, but for us that's not actually authentic to the '90s. In our game there is no chosen one. You're not a prophesied hero, you are literally just a kid from the '90s and you have to struggle as they fall through space-time portals and visit alternative realities.

You do collect historical characters along the way, you can meet people but it still ties back into our main theme. Subcultures in the '90s were pretty rebellious, so each historical timeline you visit has a twist on it. The basic twist is the other guys won, the rebels won. In the demo you travel back to the mid-1700s and you've got a Scottish Jacobite rebel, he's a well-trained musketeer. In the real timeline they lost, the English won. In Odd Gods they win that battle and they take over the UK, which is now a Scottish kingdom. Ditto one of our other characters...

The Spanish conquistador?

GM: There is a Spanish conquistador. He's a rebel as well. He was part of Cortez's crew going to the Americas very on. He was actually quite an ethical man, his brother was a priest, he actually didn't want to slaughter these people and take their gold. He rebels, joins the Incans, helps them against the Spanish. The Incan Empire survives.

Our musketeer, we're still choosing a name but it might be Sabine. Sabine, she's a female musketeer, she comes from a timeline where Louis the Sun King was assassinated by his own sister Louisa, the Sun Queen, and they instituted a reign that was still an aristocracy but they did introduce some more freedoms for serfs allowing them to purchase land and actually improve the economy. They remained in power.

The French Revolution never happened?

GM: It never happened. And all of those timelines, all of those successful rebellions taking place is a hint to our broader story about what we think really happened in the 1990s.

One last thing I have to ask you about is the combat. It's turn-based, but with simultaneous turns?

GM: Which is a mouthful, so I try to shorten it to "same-phase". We'll probably change that. Each turn takes three seconds. Say you've got a guy 50 yards, 50 meters away, you've got a musket and you want to shoot that guy. You can fire a quickshot from the musket so that's one second to draw the musket, one second to fire it. That's fair enough. In the time it takes you to fire that weapon, that guy could effectively cross the board because he has his own turn. He might see you lining up a shot with a long smooth-bore rifle, he's like, "Right, I think I'm going to duck." Maybe he goes behind cover, maybe he goes prone, maybe he runs in the opposite direction out of the line of fire, avoiding the shot.

On the flipside you can see at the start of the turn which direction people are gonna move. They play a telegraphing animation. Like in Dark Souls we've put in work to make that read, but from an isometric perspective. Say you're in a one-on-one stand-up melee fight, sword versus sword, against a highwayman. The highwayman pulls out a sword while you're planning your turn. You can look at it and go, "Looks like he's gonna do a big swing." In our system a heavy attack takes three seconds to execute, or a full turn. A fast attack might only take one second. If you're standing toe-to-toe with him, you've got a dagger, you shank him quickly before he gets his attack off, interrupting him. We do have a sidestep in there, you can sidestep that blow, he'll become overbalanced, then exposed for the next turn.

If you get the interrupt does that prevent him from being able to attack or does it just cause damage before he does?

GM: It depends on the strength of your attack. It's derived from the weapon and your character, if you're strong enough you can interrupt that attack.

I was in a situation where I kicked someone as they kicked me, and we both fell down.

GM: You both had equal strength and skill level. We're using what we call imperfect information. There's no randomness, it's all about positioning and reading your opponent. You can see an enemy telegraphing their move but also if you train as a swordsman or say you go to the Vietnam War, you spend some time there as a Viet Cong guerrilla, you learn the fine art of assault rifle maintenance and tuning, that gives you a little bit of insight into what other enemies will do. An enemy who is a highly trained marksman has say a set of five or six abilities.

If you're a novice gunfighter you can sort of see them moving and aiming, if you're a fully trained SEAL Team Six dude you get a little ghost animation of what they're going to do during their turn when you plan yours. They're gonna roll to the side, they're gonna lob a grenade, they're reloading. The higher-trained your character is the more information you get about enemies.

Any character can train in any skill, you can go back to Ancient Egypt or Greece and train in polearms or spears, then you can bring that back to the early modern era or some of our other settings we haven't talked about yet.

It sounds like you have a lot of ideas for historical periods to visit.

GM: I love that stuff. I grew up on games like ... Darklands by MicroProse. I actually noticed the original designer of Darklands is looking to shop around to find help making a sequel. There's a lot of people making straight historical RPGs and one day I'd like to make one but we're pretty keen on this idea at the moment, we're trying to marry a few of our loves. Historical nerdiness, hardcore RPGs, and what really happened in the 1990s.

So the plan is Early Access and a full release next year?

GM: Basic plan. We like to say that we think we have a year to a year and a half of full-time dev to go but we don't know exactly when that year will start. Hopefully we can sort that out soon.

It's a single-player hardcore RPG. We've had a fair bit of interest but I want to focus on PC first—let me rephrase that, I want to prove the game on PC first, with the audience I care about, which is hardcore RPG players because I think they're underserviced. I feel like an underserviced niche. I wake up in the morning like, "Hey, I'm an underserviced niche." I want to prove it there, I want to build the audience there and I want the game to be PC first for that reason. We'll see how it goes.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I want to prove the game on PC first, with the audience I care about, which is hardcore RPG players because I think they're underserviced. I feel like an underserviced niche. I wake up in the morning like, "Hey, I'm an underserviced niche." I want to prove it there, I want to build the audience there and I want the game to be PC first for that reason. We'll see how it goes.

I think there are people who play other genres who would feel really lucky to have as much attention as players of cRPGs.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The simultaneous turn execution sounds to me like it could be great, but it could also be very difficult to get it to work right.

you go to the Vietnam War, you spend some time there as a Viet Cong guerrilla

What kinds of quests do you get in that part of the game? Assassinate a village's schoolteacher? Walk around Hue with a hit list, kidnap the families of everyone working for the government, and bury them alive? If you're going to be edgy and make the player into a terrorist, at least have the guts to put them in a respectable terrorist group like Hezbollah.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus fuck, what bullshit can someone read in this forum it's unbelievable. Terrorist Viet-Cong :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus fuck, what bullshit can someone read in this forum it's unbelievable. Terrorist Viet-Cong :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Americans could also be called terrorists with their use of Agent Orange.
Yeah my point was mainly that the definition of terrorist is not "anyone who isn't american and commits a despicable act" as it seems that americans believe

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if stories about Interplay's canceled time-travel RPG Meantime somewhat inspired this game. Fargo seemed to want to take on the time travel RPG idea again someday.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
I wonder if stories about Interplay's canceled time-travel RPG Meantime somewhat inspired this game. Fargo seemed to want to take on the time travel RPG idea again someday.

They haven't served as inspiration, as I'd never heard of Meantime until now - sounds cool. Would love to see more time travel games...

There's a pretty good piece on time travel here.

We've rolled our own, although some elements will be familiar to people familiar with the concept. Can't say more than that atm.

Beastro

Arcane

The Americans could also be called terrorists with their use of Agent Orange.

Cept it wasn't used as a weapon and their own men suffered from it alongside everyone else.

The Vietnam Vets I know despise Zumwalt for it, his crowning fuck up above all the other crap he did.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Cept it wasn't used as a weapon and their own men suffered from it alongside everyone else.

The Vietnam Vets I know despise Zumwalt for it, his crowning fuck up above all the other crap he did.

Some members of al-Qaida probably thought that 9/11 was a bad tactical decision.

Beastro

Arcane

Some members of al-Qaida probably thought that 9/11 was a bad tactical decision.

Keep up the contrarism, contrarian. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
What kinds of quests do you get in that part of the game? Assassinate a village's schoolteacher? Walk around Hue with a hit list, kidnap the families of everyone working for the government, and bury them alive?
Yeah, CIA niggers never did that shit. If they did it was always by the book.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
I'd do a Christmas update, but I'm tired =)

In lieue of that though - quick EOY update, in case you're not following us on the various followable things.

Odd Gods previews/interviews in...

Magazines of the physical sort:
  • Gamesmaster UK (venerable UK gaming mag, out January)
  • PC Powerplay (full page feature, Australian PC gaming mag)
  • Canard (two-pager, French PC gaming mag)
  • PC Guru (two-pager, venerable Hungarian PC gaming mag)

Web previews and interview round-up (stuff with content, not counting just 'news' stuff):

... and a brief tease, from a time-lost party member's adventures. Mild spoilers.

'Can't they see us from here?', the young initiate asked. They'd fallen in with a ragged train of wounded, picking their way through the lowlands, and made camp on a stony rise.

Cursing through chattering teeth and numbed fingers, the older druid fumbled flint and tinder to spark a campfire, stoking it into a blaze.

Within minutes, a beacon fire ignites on a hilltop to the north, as if in answer.

'Shit! Are they enemies? Romans?', the young intitiate shouted, over the moans of the wounded.

The older druid shook his head. 'Allies, so long as we have a common enemy. Take off your silver - they won't accept payment, but we'll leave them a token of respect - and they'll lead us to the coast.'

The young initiate shuffled off his torc, and fumbled through his pockets. Lint, half a pack of smokes, and an old mixtape. He placed the mixtape on the ground with the silver, and built a small cairn of rocks to mark it.

'That will do well. From the coast, we'll take a boat to the isles, to the end of the world. Prepare the wounded.'

08b1f7_8b59801f4b754cad8d7710f6fa2d6073~mv2_d_1651_2961_s_2.png

See you next year.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom