Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chimeras & reskins however, those sons of bitches I only dare to attack in melee if there's a convenient big rock or something that I could run around while poking them back. And the worst (?) thing is that their variants have different stagger resistance, so while for example you can stagger a moloch to death with two-handed swift attacks, it's not possible against stalkers.
In melee, you also can lure them attacks with phasing ability if you have. Roll to evade charge or any other attack, with rolling you leave a hologram decoy (in english description says you teleport and leave hologram but only the hologram part is true), giving u chance to recover stamina and reposition while they're busy with the dummy and safely then unleash enough blows to stagger them.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
You need to relax, kid. Too much ELEX has made you emotionally unstable and the mere mention of it is making you go on an asperberger rampage. Everyone here knows that ELEX isn't as good as Gothic. So what? It's still a fun game with the good old PB beats that we all know and love.

So what? Are you mentaly retarded ? Those games were made 15 freacking years ago, PB is actually degrading their games in every department and your only saving grace is ''So what''? Why do I even bother, you guys are clearly mentaly retarded.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
dragonul09
You're exaggerating. Of course that stuff can look bad when shown in slomo. It's a matter of tenths of seconds after all.
But I'm grateful that hitboxes are a bit larger than they could be because else this would be way too easy given the often quite retarded enemy AI.

Also lol to the first gif. Dodge-rolling backwards against one of these mutant chickens? :hahano:
You jump to the side against them. Or run. Basically what he tried to do after dodge-rolling.
And you will still get hit because these chickens are on crack or something, they constantly keep attacking and can't be stunlocked for long. So they have one of the better AIs in the game.

Still sad to see the side by side comparison with Gothic II. Humanoid enemies actually block and evade there, and not just once in a blue moon but frequently, often breaking your attack chain. Elex combat against humans is sleep inducing next to that.

Fully agree on the inventory/character screens though. These are pure cancer.

kain30

Cipher
I´ve just finished my 1st playthrough as an cleric, i will play again as every one of the other fanctions and the last one as factionless. Oh boy!! i want elex 2 already! any aproximate release dates?

FugueLah

Scholar
I started the game on ultra difficulty despite having never played a PB game. I have spent 8 levels avoiding all combat wherever possible, since anything besides a rat or a critter one-shots me and would take half an hour to whittle down.

Frustrated at my characters weakness I decided to run all the way up to U4. Unfortunately, making it combat ready required me to enter a nearby converter guarded by Albs to acquire a control module. I did this after many attempts by running past the guards, grabbing the module and then jumping into the watery pit below where I could then save the game and try to get out alive.

Once I had U4, I managed to complete a few quests by simply letting the droid kill mobs while I ran in circles.

As a reward for my heroic deeds I was granted entry into the clan of the Beserkers. Hopefully fireballs are strong enough for me to kill things now.

Good game. 10/10.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Ok, level 18 and I'm finally gittin gud I think.
ikHFUQs.jpg

That thing can one-hit me. It didn't though.
Oh and I just realized that I probably shouldn't fight anything with a skull left of its health bar.
Like mountain trolls for example. :smug:

Everybody who doesn't play this with melee weapons has only himself to blame if he thinks it sucks.
The encounter design indeed does, but you get used to it eventually.
Maybe only after one or 2 broken keyboards but you will.
Jetpack and running for the hills are the answers to all problems. I still wished it felt as satisfying as Gothic 1 and 2 with their chapter progression and enemies slowly growing in strength parallel to the player character. That wasn't levelscaling but instead you could choose the appropriate challenges yourself. Here you test an enemy type, get instakilled and zigzag around it for the next ten to twenty levels. Which makes exploration feel silly and awkward but at least unlike in most modern games there is still challenge to find here.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
It looks quite dangerous though, doesn't it?
:australia:

But really, switching to a different damage type (energy sword) was the biggest power boost I had in a long while.
Before that it was finding the recipe for bone marrow soup. Completely overpowered food there, especially in combination with the good eater skill.

I'm pretty sure I can make a dent in most enemies' health bar now. And I had enough training in playing torero with them so I think I can survive long enough to kill them. ^^

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
What is this and why is it staring at me?
Mommy!
That's some mutant enemy, right? Don't recognize it staring down its nostrils.

PB also presents
The Invincible Bandit
zVQKuuw.jpg

Apparently he is in godmode. Meaning I can't do anything else than either run away or reload.
I met him as he was was just about to rob a cleric trader. And while I support the Outlaws I still don't tolerate anything that might be disruptive to the post apoc economy. Yes, I'm cherry-picking my ingame ethics like that. Sue me.

So first I tried attacking him directly while he was talking to the trader. Leads to bandit in god mode.
Then I interrupted their conversation by talking to the bandit. After the third time he attacks me. And is in godmode again.
So another reload and I just let them talk until the bandit group decides to attack the trader on its own. Now the bandit who did the talking is not in godmode anymore and I can kill him.

Seriously, PB, wtf?! Fix this POS game asap or else! And fire the retards that are designing your quests. Even a toddler would have thought of that shit ffs.
:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Watching people struggle to get through the hacking mini game is both eye opening and horrifying.

The game won't let you try impossible combinations, like 9 < 2, and people keep thinking it "glitches out".

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
trolls are easy to fight. it only has 3 movesets or so and you're safe if you attack from behind, and its pretty slow. not that big of an achievement
This better?
Slugbeast:
ZIoew3l.jpg

Lol, the game gets easy before I joined a faction. I can even kill combat robots now.
You really only need a way to deal damage reliably. And I guess anything other than normal physical damage is good.

Also strong attacks are still fucking useless.

I fear that this will become way too easy soon. Next time I restart I won't try to fight anything that I don't have to as long as I don't have a weapon that deals one of the special damage types.

edit:
Another one bites the dust.
:dance:
VRgDaUT.jpg

I think I have problems to find stuff that I can't kill now. And I'm only on level 19.
Will have to drop my companion, cheese time is over.

edit 2:
Okay, I found something that's nearly impossible to kill for me right now. Chimeras are fucking brütal.
Still managed to kill one thanks to my companion (I will let him go after this quest, I promise ^^) and that stim that increases attack speed.
9XBMnbt.jpg
I have to kill 3 though.
:negative:

XP rewards in this game make no sense at all. 300 XP for that troll that was easier than the slugbeast that gave 250 XP that was a lot easier than the chimera that gives measly 160XP. Who came up with these numbers?
Or did the game somehow remember that I used stims to defeat this thing? Because the effect duration was already over when I killed it. That icon there is a steak or however that meal that increases attack power is called.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The damage threshold is a huge part of the difficulty curve. I suggest raising difficulty up (but keep mini game difficulty low cuz fuck that) to keep the sense of danger and risk up.

Jinn

Arcane
I have been walking around like a God with my Psi powers for ages now. But also I love it. And I worked hard for it.

This is something I think people sometimes forget. There has to be a moment in the game where your progression is rewarded with a feeling of true power and perseverance. I've felt that a couple times in ELEX already, then felt the pressure of some new challenges emerge after. I'm pretty impressed with this actually, but I'm also probably in the minority.

The damage threshold is a huge part of the difficulty curve. I suggest raising difficulty up (but keep mini game difficulty low cuz fuck that) to keep the sense of danger and risk up.

I know I've posted this before in the thread, but I want to reiterate that I found setting the overall difficulty to Ultra, then just dropping Combat Difficulty to "Difficult" has felt closest to the PB classics. I'm level 22, role without a companion, and consistently still come against many challenging situations.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol, the game gets easy before I joined a faction. I can even kill combat robots now.
You really only need a way to deal damage reliably. And I guess anything other than normal physical damage is good.
nice. They are trickier melee. With ranged it is easier because their slug dont reach that far and move slow

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Two-handed swords are disappointingly short.
Kinda like in Gothic 3? That's a bloody shame. One handed swords had more reach there.
And all the epic, end game loot (from the retarded system of 100th chest opened) + end game crafted gear recipes was two-handed swords or axes.

Well, at least you could get the orc halberd. That baby got the job done nicely.

Elex

Arbiter
Fully agree on the inventory/character screens though. These are pure cancer.
console cancer, the elex UI remind me skyrim UI

a endless list of lines

i’m sure is done on purpose

console players are scared by grid inventory?

Elex

Arbiter
I started the game on ultra difficulty despite having never played a PB game. I have spent 8 levels avoiding all combat wherever possible, since anything besides a rat or a critter one-shots me and would take half an hour to whittle down.

Frustrated at my characters weakness I decided to run all the way up to U4. Unfortunately, making it combat ready required me to enter a nearby converter guarded by Albs to acquire a control module. I did this after many attempts by running past the guards, grabbing the module and then jumping into the watery pit below where I could then save the game and try to get out alive.

Once I had U4, I managed to complete a few quests by simply letting the droid kill mobs while I ran in circles.

As a reward for my heroic deeds I was granted entry into the clan of the Beserkers. Hopefully fireballs are strong enough for me to kill things now.

Good game. 10/10.
yes any dot and elemental damage is a good method for kill enemies

Elex

Arbiter
Watching people struggle to get through the hacking mini game is both eye opening and horrifying.

The game won't let you try impossible combinations, like 9 < 2, and people keep thinking it "glitches out".
>=< they probally think is some strange emoji

Shadenuat

Arcane
Whoever balanced Heavy Weapons to other categories and even to each other clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Dexter

Arcane
Either this game made everyone retarded or some people are here to shill for this game, I can't find a better explanation , it almost feels like the American election where people kept telling how great Hillary was and look how that turn out , she clearly lost because she didn't have a jet pack.
How the fuck are you still in here after over 100 pages still shitting up the thread, reposting the same gifs as if they mean anything, autistically whining about Dark Souls while bleeding out of your wherever?

Unless Björn Pankratz personally molested you, take a hint and move on. Surely there would be better uses of your time than whining about a game you seemingly absolutely hate for weeks on end?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Either this game made everyone retarded or some people are here to shill for this game, I can't find a better explanation , it almost feels like the American election where people kept telling how great Hillary was and look how that turn out , she clearly lost because she didn't have a jet pack.
How the fuck are you still in here after over 100 pages still shitting up the thread, reposting the same gifs as if they mean anything, autistically whining about Dark Souls while bleeding out of your wherever?

Unless Björn Pankratz personally molested you, take a hint and move on. Surely there would be better uses of your time than whining about a game you seemingly absolutely hate for weeks on end?

Oh please stop sucking Bjorns cock you degenerate, he's laughing all the way to the bank while making shitty games for retards like you, no wonder the company won't go under, there are rabid fanboys like you that will eat whatever shit PB churns out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom