Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo Interview Roundup: On hustling around and rising development costs

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland 2 was decent.

Was it though? I mean, was it really? Also: Are we back to being happy that things are "decent" again? Welp. So much for the resurgence of incline, folks. We're back to the "good for what it is" days!

We've been back to good for what it is for years. Get with the times, dude.

And yeah, it was decent enough. Not great, not shit either. Decent. I had my fun playing through the game. As did alot of others here.

Cross

Arcane
At it's worst it's easily as bad as Fallout 2's New Reno/Chinatown.
How DARE you insult New Reno. It was one of the best cities in Fallout 2.
This has been posted about hundreds of times.
For roleplaying: A+
Fitting into Fallout lore: F
And that is different from the rest of Fallout 2 how exactly? If anything, New Reno is one of the more logical and thematically consistent parts of Fallout 2's world, especially with the way it ties into the NCR/Vault City conflict and other regional issues, like the miners' dispute in Redding. The most whacky aspects of Fallout 2, like chess-playing scorpions, xenomorphs, talking deathclaws and Hubologists who dream of flying into space, are found elsewhere.

Last edited:

mwnn85

Savant
Fallout 2 thematically consistent? Logical?

:hahyou:

He's probably a bethesda fan, who prefers the new direction.
Are you joking? Fallout 2 - could almost be made by Bethesda. You could easily fit Vampires and all the other Fallout 3/4 sillyness straight into it.
The whole game starts to go to pieces as soon as you leave the Den.

A party based UnderRail with it's ToEE-like combat system set in a post-apoc wasteland (instead of underground) would completely outshine anything Fargo could ever dream of making.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Chinatown was the worst though, way worse than New Reno. Even the new character models didn't fit.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Are you joking? Fallout 2 - could almost be made by Bethesda. You could easily fit Vampires and all the other Fallout 3/4 sillyness straight into it.

A party based UnderRail with it's ToEE-like combat system set in a post-apoc wasteland (instead of underground) would completely outshine anything Fargo could ever dream of making.

Fergus said each major area in F2 was made by teams who were isolated from each other. The only communication was when a quest left one area and went to another. He said in F1 each area was made by the entire team at the same time. So now we know why F1 rocked and F2 sucked. lol

Fergus said with F1 style of dev they had poor time management, and when he came in at the end they were suprised that half the game wasn't done. Doesn't that sound like Troika? So all they needed at Troika was to be left alone for most of development, and have a Fergus come in and crack the whip towards the end.

Wasteland 2 was decent.

Was it though? I mean, was it really? Also: Are we back to being happy that things are "decent" again? Welp. So much for the resurgence of incline, folks. We're back to the "good for what it is" days!

Not every RPG is going to be a modern classic. I'm happy we have a mix of decent and good crpgs.

You are going to have less RPGs soon, thanks to the modern programmer mentality. These are the kind of people that value their own experience making a game over that of their players' experience playing their games.

I knew they were screwed when they chose that particular engine because garbage collected languages are made for lazy-ass modern programmers. I knew they didn't have the kind of underpaid god progammer that every successful game company relies on to stop them making stupid decisions like this.

It seems all Sillycon Valley has these days is lazy-ass web developers. The kind of people that make programs far less responsive, than programs made to run on far weaker machines in the 1980s. lol

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
I think I jack about lore in Fallout, don't think I pay attention to lore in any game either tho. All I know is that Fallout 2 was a really fun game, was a lot more enjoyable than Fallout 1.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Fergus said each major area in F2 was made by teams who were isolated from each other. The only communication was when a quest left one area and went to another. He said in F1 each area was made by the entire team at the same time. So now we know why F1 rocked and F2 sucked. lol

Fergus said with F1 style of dev they had poor time management, and when he came in at the end they were suprised that half the game wasn't done. Doesn't that sound like Troika? So all they needed at Troika was to be left alone for most of development, and have a Fergus come in and crack the whip towards the end.

Wasteland 2 was decent.

Not every RPG is going to be a modern classic. I'm happy we have a mix of decent and good crpgs.

You are going to have less RPGs soon, thanks to the modern programmer mentality. These are the kind of people that value their own experience making a game over that of their players' experience playing their games.

I knew they were screwed when they chose that particular engine because garbage collected languages are made for lazy-ass modern programmers. I knew they didn't have the kind of underpaid god progammer that every successful game company relies on to stop them making stupid decisions like this.

It seems all Sillycon Valley has these days is lazy-ass web developers. The kind of people that make programs far less responsive, than programs made to run on far weaker machines in the 1980s. lol

Not every company can afford/has a John Carmack that literally breathes programming and is an ultra super smart nerd

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Not every company can afford/has a John Carmack that literally breathes programming and is an ultra super smart nerd

Its less to do with genius and more to do with interest in how the machine actually works. Interplay had these people down in their basements, probably working for peanuts, but holding the company up. I watched one of them teaching the old school methods on Youube earlier in the year, and was suprised by the simple methods he uses that makes what most programmers are taught look damned foolish. This guy doesn't teach strangers on Boobtube for riches lol, he does it because the dimishing state of software quality bothers him.

Regarding your not every company remark:
If a game company doesn't have at least one person that breathes game programming, they aren't going to go far as a game company, are they now? Perhaps they should be doing something more low brow, like developing slow-ass webapps instead? lol

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
At it's worst it's easily as bad as Fallout 2's New Reno/Chinatown.
How DARE you insult New Reno. It was one of the best cities in Fallout 2.
This has been posted about hundreds of times.
For roleplaying: A+
Fitting into Fallout lore: F
It's still the best area in the game you like it or not. And until someone can explain to me why 50s mobsters don't fit into FO lore I would say you're having a fewer.

Archibald

Arcane

Its less to do with genius and more to do with interest in how the machine actually works. Interplay had these people down in their basements, probably working for peanuts, but holding the company up. I watched one of them teaching the old school methods on Youube earlier in the year, and was suprised by the simple methods he uses that makes what most programmers are taught look damned foolish. This guy doesn't teach strangers on Boobtube for riches lol, he does it because the dimishing state of software quality bothers him.

Got a link to that Youtube video?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Regarding your not every company remark:
If a game company doesn't have at least one person that breathes game programming, they aren't going to go far as a game company, are they now? Perhaps they should be doing something more low brow, like developing slow-ass webapps instead? lol

John Carmack basically made a new gfx engine overnight, as I said, you need people like him. Programmers that are both a genius and literally lives to make good code and engines. People with a hard work ethic

Plenty of popamole shit companies that have gone very far, with shit games, because people have shit taste. The bar is very low right now. The easier it gets to do something, the more people do it lazy and skip the real work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom