Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Bought it thinking I could play tonight.....75gigs. Probably not.

EDIT: Wait, it's only a 30 gig download. Why does it need 75gigs of disk space allocated? That's idiotic.

Last edited:

Leechmonger

Arbiter
LOL what the fuck, looked at the Steam store and found out this is on PC now. Well I guess I'm never playing Bloodborne now, since it and Nioh are the only reasons I'd ever buy a PS4.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Is it worth it paying attention to cutscenes?

I skipped them. I roleplayed a confused gaijin who had no idea what anyone said or wanted of me but kept killing things because it made everyone happy.

Given the little bit I gathered from the forced exposition scenes mine was the better version.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
So, started playing yesterday, it's not Dark Souls alright. Good thing too, since I'm not a fan of the DS games.

The port is utter shit - 75GB in console textures, 5-year old graphics, crap optimization yada yada. Playable though, and the game seems worth the $25 I paid for it.

Question: Does the choice of starting ("preferred") weapons and spirit matter much at all? If so, what are good choices for a noob? I was thinking sword and spear, but it seems so... traditional.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Aya-komori was my favorite and the perfect guardian for ninja builds. Especially since it only requires 15 spirit to unlock all the abilities.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Patch was released:

Update Information 1.21.01 (11/09/2017)
9 NOVEMBER - TEAM NINJA
- Fixed a bug in which save data would not be properly saved if your username contained one or more double-byte characters.
- Fixed a bug in which launcher settings would not be saved if you had not previously launched the game before.
- Fixed a bug relating to the "Glory Contributed" rankings in clan battles.
Rankings will be reset, but your original amount of Glory will be uploaded to the server the next time you acquire Glory.

I was initially disappointed by the animations (they lack the weight of Souls games while also lacking the stylishness of character action games such as Ninja Gaiden), but after playing through the first (real) mission I got used to it. The combat system feels very good and the three stances add a great amount of depth (as well as the Ki charge).

Looking forward to playing some more. It will probably take me forever to beat.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm whiplashing those yokai ghouls into minced meat, making me feel like a god. Then some scoundrels from the roof start raining arrows down on me while some asshole with a 100 feet pike charges me like a crazy man and kills me in 2 secs.

I love this game because it punishes recklessness/laziness even harder than Souls.

Any recommendation what skills I should prioritize if I focus on a Kusarigama and Odachi combo?

Hyperion

Arcane
Moonlit Snow for Odachi.
Never was a big Kusarigama fan, but I think Reaper is a pretty popular skill.

bataille

Arcane
Any recommendation what skills I should prioritize if I focus on a Kusarigama and Odachi combo?

Transitioning between stances with extra hits feels so right and natural that I'd suggest anyone try it as soon as they can. Low to medium and back for odachi is beyond perfect.
I haven't experimented much with special techniques, but I doubt they can top the sense of seamlessness that stance-changing attacks give.

Hyperion

Arcane
I remember they added in a level cap, and because of that, most builds don't go above 25 Body because of negligible Life gains (especially when compared to the Legendary quality +500 life mod). It's even worse since damage bonuses that aren't A or better are a pretty major letdown with how little they give. While it is tempting, I'm not sure if it's even possible at 99 Stamina to get the big Warrior of the East bonus + Master Swordsman bonus without going into Fat Rolling. I know for a fact it's possible to get the Weight Damage Bonus from Tatenashi (which should be similar, or better than the WOTE damage boost) + Master Swordsman SOTC damage, however. Since Tatenashi's is only the 3 piece bonus, when combined with the Yasakani Magatama's bonus, you can also throw in a piece of Warrior of the West + the corresponding Bow for the 10% CCD boost from the 3 piece bonus. You should also have something along the lines of 250 Toughness with this setup, which is far more than you need to poise through basic enemy attacks. You're also wearing 4 pieces of Heavy armor and 1 piece of Medium armor, you'll be extremely sturdy and will be able to survive a fuck up or two.

This setup should allow you to reach the CCD% soft cap (33% or something?) without needing a Guardian Spirit with CCD+ on it (like Kato) and can instead use something like Kara-Jishi for the Life Drain (try it with Water Sword, it's amazing), and the Skill Damage Up, which is a separate damage modifier from CCD since it shows up on your buff bar. A great alternative to Kara-jishi is the Peacock because of its flexibility, but it does require some skill and attention to make sure those bonuses are kept up all the time. For synergy if you go with the Peacock Spirit, there's an Onmyo Talisman that grants you Amrita every time you hit something - use this in conjunction with the High Stance modifier for a permanent damage bonus that refreshes its cooldown every time you attack.

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Well daym, I haven't even made it past the first shrine, and the game's already feeding my inner masochist. I do like the combat more than Souls, but it feels more unforgiving overall, too.

Probably gonna sit on the first beach for days, until I stop being a whiny little bitch and/or learn how to f'ing parry.

Latro

Arcane
Is there any online component worth paying for, or can I steal it without missing much?
There are no Souls style invasions, PvP is a separate thing so you would be just be locked out of co-op. Also, I don't think Revenants spawn when you're offline, at least they don't for me and they're like the best way to get better gear. On the other hand, there might not be too many rev's on the PC since the game is just out.

Also, game is worth the $.
Revenants and Co-op are actually pretty fun features, so I'd recommend actually buying the game.

I spent 6 hours in the first level alone. This game is really good - there seems to be so many systems to wrap my head around. Yet, the regular combat feels fantastic. Switching stances and getting Ki back to keep the string going is just awesome. Even the magic stuff, which I usually skip entirely in these sorts of games, is really thought out (basically giving you a guaranteed supply of equivalent consumables you can find by random drops). I'm very surprised.

Kou Shibusawa is incline - maybe it took him to put Yosuke Hayashi on track.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
is this worth our jewgold?
Well, lobosjr said "I hate bitching about NIOH, because it reminds me of NIOH."

That's the expert in the field. If you pirate it, play it once, it's probably passable, as long as you don't specialize character to crit everything with a musket and then have a shooter with a slow musket.

Hyperion

Arcane
Tatenashi I do have right now, but from what I understand the problem with it is that while it does scale your damage for total weight it also fucks you up for not having the Agility requirement
Tatenashi gives you more damage the more equipment weight you have. At 30.1 equipment weight it gives you 15% extra damage. Lightness Damage is a separate bonus that gives 15% extra damage at agility A. I don't know if both of those are possible. From what I'm reading there's a metric fuckton of gear that was added since I stopped. Apparently there's another quality above Divine, which is just...ludicrous.

Well, lobosjr said "I hate bitching about NIOH, because it reminds me of NIOH."
I actually watched his blind playthrough when the game came out. He played the entire game using axes in mid stance only. You play the game poorly, and you're going to receive it poorly. It isn't perfect - the enemy variation isn't there, but the combat is still extremely satisfying, especially if you keep pushing yourself to get better and better.
If I understand correctly, it gives you a damage bonus if you hit with a running attack? I think it could work great with Windstorm towards which I took quite a liking recently
Dash attack is the attack you perform immediately following evasion, not running. Some dude posted a great gif of it Evade, attack, then Windstorm.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also, Kusarigama pro tip against human enemies:

Use high stance, then Serpent Strike + Foot Sweep + Ki Pulse (with the damage boost skill) + finishing move.

Serpent Strike has very long range and it causes the enemy to stumble. If you immediately follow with Foot Sweep, the enemy will always fall down. Then if you have the skill that gives temporary damage boost for Ki Pulse, use it and do the finishing move on the enemy when they are laying on the ground. Massive damage and even better if you have equipment that increases finishing move damage.

Should work on all revenants and human enemies, though I'm not sure about bosses.

i am lvl 12 using odachi/2kat and Hino-enma seems fucking
impossibru-16341104.png
for me ...

that first boss on ship was not that bad killed him after couple deaths at lvl8 once i got rhythm of the fight right. but this bitch kills me in two hits and unless i dodge her paralyzing attack i am also dead since i run out of needles on my second try. needless to say i fuck up 8 out of 10 times trying to dodge those paralyzing projectiles. at least run to her from the shrine is not that long. i hope there is more to that game than just complex combat system cause so far everything else is rather subpar and loot is just complete shit. was considering to drop this mission and try the death to bandits subquest but apparently it is just 1 mission with different mob placement and grinding levels for loot and stats is not my cup of tea.

i am doing my best to enjoy this game but its definitely not Dark Souls clone just in different setting. Feels more like another take on Ninja Gaiden games and i fucking suck at those. The rhythm of combat is very different dodging into the attacks will get you killed, there are no shields but blocking with weapon is in certain situations better than dodging, i-frames do fuck all and there is good amount of one hit kills from Yokai enemies which you just need to learn to avoid.

Oh well i should try to git gud instead of whining on dex :dealwithit:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
meanwhileInPoland dodge into Hino-Enma's paralyzing waves. Do it in low stance if you're having trouble, more iframes and shorter animation. Getting used to switching stances under pressure is useful for the future - as you've observed, it's not really just a dodge -> attack game like recent Souls. Enma's most dangerous attack is her spin-to-win, and easiest way of avoiding it is probably just running away. The fight is mostly about zoning, you want to stay at a distance that lets you dart in for a hit easily, but out of range of any of her immediate attacks. Use whatever attacks damage her Ki most, then go for a visceral once she's down, but be aware she will always try to grab once she gets back up. Clear the Yokai zones if you can't move her out of them, they regen her Ki.

Most boss fights in Nioh are more formulaic than the current Souls average, you stick to a safe strategy and are mostly ok. Trying to improvise mid-fight like you'd do in say, BB, will usually end in pain. You don't have much healing and die very easily even at full HP, so risks aren't worth it unless you really know what you're doing.

jungl

Augur
A god awful port makes you consider uninstalling the game and refunding if you bought it. 2 nukes were clearly not enough.

The diablo loot is a mixed bag. Its kind of dumb making a souls like game with min maxer autist number crunching component to it where you can make builds that make combat trivial nullifying the main draw of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom