Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

I'll be interested to hear how you like Gothic 2, assuming you're going to jump right into it.

I'm having a headache trying to figure out how to fix performance without lowering view distance to shitty levels or using DX11 renderer. Framerate drops are pretty bad in outdoor areas, even without texture pack. Vurt's pack killed it completely, though it isn't really required as vanilla textures already look good.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Since we're speaking of Gothic 2, can anyone tell me if the Blood Chalice bug is fixed in the GOG version?

Namely, you can get a quest in the Thieves' Guild to find and steal several Chalices. It's a pretty complex task, and once you manage it and go back to the quest giver, she tells you that the deadline for the job was blown and she attacks and kills you. Which is silly, because nowhere during the quest were you told that there's a deadline.

Sjukob

Arcane
Multidirectional
I recommend not to bother with dx11 . It is known to be unoptimized as well as being the reason of various graphical issues . The author have abandoned the project and it's unlikely to get better .

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since we're speaking of Gothic 2, can anyone tell me if the Blood Chalice bug is fixed in the GOG version?

Namely, you can get a quest in the Thieves' Guild to find and steal several Chalices. It's a pretty complex task, and once you manage it and go back to the quest giver, she tells you that the deadline for the job was blown and she attacks and kills you. Which is silly, because nowhere during the quest were you told that there's a deadline.
There's definitely a deadline though.

Danikas

Arcane
Multidirectional
I recommend not to bother with dx11 . It is known to be unoptimized as well as being the reason of various graphical issues . The author have abandoned the project and it's unlikely to get better .
Yup dont use this shit, it crashes after 30 mins of playing on my Gtx 1060. There seems to be some memory leak in this renderer, game crashes with out of memory bug though I have 16 Gb ram. I had to abandon my plans to replay Gothic 2 due to shitty performance on vannila version. Tried everything to get it to work with normal fps but alas in some areas it still drops to 15 fps even after tweaking the shit out of the ini. file.

Multidirectional
Maybe this will help you a bit, it didnt work in my case but its worth a try. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php Use on game exe. Also try changing this settings in ini. Set it to this values.
zTexCacheOutTimeMSec=240000
zTexCacheSizeMaxBytes=32000000
zSndCacheOutTimeMSec=10000
zSndCacheSizeMaxBytes=20000000

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Multidirectional
Likewise, I can't recommend a DX11 renderer 100%, because it is notorious for being unstable.
I definitely NOT recommend using it for the first playthrough as well - G2 may look real dated by modern standards, but it's still a very beautiful game.

What I can recommend is installing a number of semi- and unofficial technical and bugfixing patches/utilities:
1) gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev2.exe - supposed to be a semi-official patch, fixing game compatibility with 64-bit OS and some engine bugs.
2) Player Kit - basically, a mod manager and an alternative game starter menu. (Usually) makes managing the whole mess a bit easier.
3) System Pack - fixes a bunch of technical and compatibility issues on top of (1). Requires (1) + (2) to work, IIRC. Check it here.
There's also IronKeep Community Patch, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the above three nowadays, and whether the former have also fixed what the latter fixes.

Important - keep in mind the infamous Lares bug (google it, it's about the only gamebreaking thing in the game I can think of). It's fixed by the community patch, and it's easily avoidable otherwise if you keep it in mind (it's an early game thing), and even if you do screw up, there's a save and quest-state editor that can fix it.

Multidirectional
Yup dont use this shit, it crashes after 30 mins of playing on my Gtx 1060. There seems to be some memory leak in this renderer, game crashes with out of memory bug though I have 16 Gb ram. I had to abandon my plans to replay Gothic 2 due to shitty performance on vannila version. Tried everything to get it to work with normal fps but alas in some areas it still drops to 15 fps even after tweaking the shit out of the ini. file.

Multidirectional
Maybe this will help you a bit, it didnt work in my case but its worth a try. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php Use on game exe. Also try changing this settings in ini. Set it to this values.
zTexCacheOutTimeMSec=240000
zTexCacheSizeMaxBytes=32000000
zSndCacheOutTimeMSec=10000
zSndCacheSizeMaxBytes=20000000

I already quadrupled those values from default and yes it did indeed increase FPS by a little. Not enough though. Default values are meant for 512 RAM so the ones I use should max out at 2GB. Didn't try 4GB patch though. Do we even know if that thing works on G2? DX11 does fix performance but it also makes it unstable and I have to kill the game with task manager every time I want to exit it. Plus it disables supersampling from nvidia inspector and doesn't even allow downsampling, so I'm left with crappy SMAA and shimmering trees and grass all around me so even visually it's inferior. Definitely do not want to use it. It did have one nice side effect though - DX11 renderer made quicksaving a lot faster and it remained the same even after uninstalling it.

Googling I also found a claim that newer GPUs don't use full 3D acceleration for Gothic 2 and use 2D acceleration which downclocks them. To test this theory I'd have to know how to force 3D acceleration but I have no idea.

What I can recommend is installing a number of semi- and unofficial technical and bugfixing patches/utilities:
1) gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev2.exe - supposed to be a semi-official patch, fixing game compatibility with 64-bit OS and some engine bugs.
2) Player Kit - basically, a mod manager and an alternative game starter menu. (Usually) makes managing the whole mess a bit easier.
3) System Pack - fixes a bunch of technical and compatibility issues on top of (1). Requires (1) + (2) to work, IIRC. Check it here.
There's also IronKeep Community Patch, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the above three nowadays, and whether the former have also fixed what the latter fixes.

Well obviously those were installed immediately.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Gothic 2 Remaster is out!

Why can't they exercise a bit of restraint when they make these type of mods.
Strictly speaking if they've altered things or added new content then it's a re-visioning not a remastering.
Probably just stick to using the GOG version plus the DX11 renderer:
https://github.com/ataulien/GD3D11

I'd be happy with just the old bugs quashed, free mouselook and WASD controls (like Risen) so it feels a bit more modern.

Last time i played Gothic 2 had free mouselook and WASD controls. And its actually not as bad as i had it in memory. Just set the cameraspeed to a higher level in the .ini file.

gothic 2 also have G1 controls no idea who play it with G1 control but you can.

gothic 2 also have G1 controls no idea who play it with G1 control but you can.

G1 controls were set to "ON" by default in Gothic.ini for me. Apparently some people think they provide more tactical options or some shit. Don't really see how but then I'm only at beginning of G2.

34hukw5.jpg

Really nice looking game, could even deal with locking FPS to 30 if it never went below that..

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Finished the GoG version last year and haven't encountered this bug?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Finished the GoG version last year and haven't encountered this bug?

Same. Last year, gog version, no buggerino, and I took a long time to do the quest.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wanted to do a “master” save with most of the Chapter 1 content done and with good standing with all camps so I could replay the game later and choose another camp but seems I fucked up; after the weed giveaway quest on the new camp I asked for some magic scrolls as a reward instead of the vote for joining the cultist camp and seems like I screwed that up since the “superweed” I was supposed to get for the Baal is now unattainable... not even beating up and looting the weedseller gives me that superweed, any ideas? Could I use a code to get the item or something?

Danikas

Arcane
Ok fags whoever is interested I solved my problems with Gothic 2 performance.
- Start the Game
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Go to processes
- Right mousebotton on the gothic2.exe
- Affinity
- Set it to one core or two cores (for me 2 cores work the best now I get 40 fps in busiest places instead of 15)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

It's never "just me", but God damn high res textures on low poly models look infinitely better than low res textures on high poly models. Look at that Gothic II ffs, it is GORGEOUS (Morrowind looks like shit because its texture mods are shit). "High res" doesn't necessarily have to mean "photorealistic" either, just clean and sharp.

I read the above comments regarding the DX11 renderer and low FPS overall in Gothic II. So it wasn't just me? I literally quit playing G2 until I got a better PC because I was getting some hiccups in the area where you rejoin that blue faction (I think it's near where the wolves or some shit are killing some dude's sheep, sorry it's been a while since I've played G2 and I've forgot the names of the factions from G1).

And by hiccup I don't mean "framerate drop", I mean something like "lag". Like when in an online game you are walking and suddenly your character is back a few steps. Pretty weird issue, as framerate drops I can deal with, but not those annoying hiccups.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
aren't there five baals but you only have to convince four of them?
Yes, only four. The easiest, and also the trickiest, to convince is the guy in the temple square, I can't remember his name. You can only convince him by giving him the prepared dreamcaller weed, which you get by doing the weed selling quest in the New Camp and asking for help in joining the Swamp Camp as your reward.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's never "just me", but God damn high res textures on low poly models look infinitely better than low res textures on high poly models. Look at that Gothic II ffs, it is GORGEOUS (Morrowind looks like shit because its texture mods are shit). "High res" doesn't necessarily have to mean "photorealistic" either, just clean and sharp.

I read the above comments regarding the DX11 renderer and low FPS overall in Gothic II. So it wasn't just me? I literally quit playing G2 until I got a better PC because I was getting some hiccups in the area where you rejoin that blue faction (I think it's near where the wolves or some shit are killing some dude's sheep, sorry it's been a while since I've played G2 and I've forgot the names of the factions from G1).

And by hiccup I don't mean "framerate drop", I mean something like "lag". Like when in an online game you are walking and suddenly your character is back a few steps. Pretty weird issue, as framerate drops I can deal with, but not those annoying hiccups.

Yeah, had to select the "parse scripts" options in the modkit to fix the lag.

Abhay

Augur
^ LMAO ^ That is so funny...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom