Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Odd Gods, a 90s-themed adventure through spacetime with simultaneous turn-based combat

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
One thing came to mind - such setting, based on cultural references\era, can be limiting, because many countries had no such cultural experience, basically only US and Europe have something with it.
Not that I telling not to do such things (on the contrary) just ajust your expectations accordingly.

Anyway, let's wait and see what it will be like.

Good point, but I should mention that we're Australian.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Can someone explain Phase Based combat?
The twitter video shows some of the combat, basically you set what you want all of your characters to do and then combat rounds are resolved simultaneously. Not unlike say if someone introduced rounds to a close combat game or something. Isn't the Wizardry series essentially a phase based combat system as well, you set all your character's actions and then individual stats determine who acts when right?

Zenith

Arbiter
Planning phase is interactive, execution phase isn't.

Check out Frozen Synapse if you want to get your combat system standards way too high for Odd Gods to surpass (probably. but let's be honest here).
FS is ranged-only, OG seems to have plenty of melee, and I think Copper Dreams was supposed to be mostly stealth. All three (afair) are simultaneous execution + deterministic.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Combat looks cool. Frozen Synapse was dope. Prepare for some Codexers whining it's "too slow" or some crap.

Video definitely makes the game look better than the screenshots. Looking forward to official promo materials.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Combat looks cool. Frozen Synapse was dope. Prepare for some Codexers whining it's "too slow" or some crap.

Video definitely makes the game look better than the screenshots. Looking forward to official promo materials.

Thanks (I agree). We're stilll pre-alpha, which we tried to emphasise by writing PRE ALPHA in red on everything, but I appreciate that peoples expectations differ ;)

ClaviculaZ

Novice
The concept is absolutely fantastic. The 90's were both heaven and hell for me and I still consider them to be by far the most interesting decade of the last 70 years. We actually still had subcultures back then instead of one gigantic consumer culture. I also love the art style in the pre alpha images. I hope it will retain that gritty character instead of becoming too nice and shiny.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I find it weird to be thinking of the 90s as a decade. That was, like, last week?

It ended nearly 20 years ago. You're getting old.

(back in the 90s I thought the 70s were old, I'm sure kids born in the 00s feel likewise)

Prime Junta

Yeah there are times when I realise that the timespan between Woodstock and now is more than between WW2 and Woodstock. :negative:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The twitter video shows some of the combat, basically you set what you want all of your characters to do and then combat rounds are resolved simultaneously. Not unlike say if someone introduced rounds to a close combat game or something. Isn't the Wizardry series essentially a phase based combat system as well, you set all your character's actions and then individual stats determine who acts when right?
So do you attack enemies, or areas?

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
  • 90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.
Grumpy Grognard , can you explain what this means?

... sorta. There's no magic per se in our universe, so there's no resurrection spells, etc. Death is death - we simply use the term 'permadeath' as a short-hand in the feature list. As for the 'mostly', things that die stay dead... Mostly. It'd be a pretty big deal if they didn't, and there better be a bloody good reason.

Saying more than that is touching on stuff I can't safely comment on yet.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
  • 90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.

... sorta. There's no magic per se in our universe, so there's no resurrection spells, etc. Death is death - we simply use the term 'permadeath' as a short-hand in the feature list. As for the 'mostly', things that die stay dead... Mostly. It'd be a pretty big deal if they didn't, and there better be a bloody good reason.

Let me ask in another way..is it permadeath in the sense of rogue-likes or Wizardry? I.e. there is no save game. Your party is dead and now you have to reroll another one?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Let me ask in another way..is it permadeath in the sense of rogue-likes or Wizardry? I.e. there is no save game. Your party is dead and now you have to reroll another one?
i tjink its like x com or fallout 1. A member die, hes ded 4ever. Of course u can still reload and prevent hin from dyind

Prime Junta

So just how death works in every fucking game other than rogue-likes? Why use a specific term like permadeath at all or imply that it's even similar when it's not.

I hate to break this to you because it may be a bit of a shock, but most RPGs in recent years just have your guys standing up and dusting themselves off if they "die" in combat. And even in many of the classics, notably those based on D&D, death is a reversible condition.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So just how death works in every fucking game other than rogue-likes? Why use a specific term like permadeath at all or imply that it's even similar when it's not.
permadeath isnt exclusive to rogue like/lite whatevers. It has been around to describe permanent death, but still save,/laod able, since like fire emblem

Cross

Arcane

Like going back in time to prevent their death? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom