Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Beastro

Arcane
I've never played the "Souls" games, but 90% of what I've read about them is nothing but endless, stupid, edgy, try hard arguing over it and mostly it's combat.

It doesn't encourage me to ever bother with the series if it makes people do this.

Jinn

Arcane
Probably ~30 american USA dollars.

You really think so? KOEI usually seems to release its games at rather high prices on steam. I'm thinking more like $60. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Hyperion

Arcane
I've never played the "Souls" games, but 90% of what I've read about them is nothing but endless, stupid, edgy, try hard arguing over it and mostly it's combat.

It doesn't encourage me to ever bother with the series if it makes people do this.

You must not play anything ever mentioned on the Codex, then.

On a more serious note, that's honestly a pretty bad reason for staying away from an excellent series of games, even if it was put to bed 1 entry too late. Even DS3, which is the result of too much mix-and-matching, and an overstayed welcome, is still a better experience than most games out there.

If you have the time and no major backlog of games to play, telling yourself not to play it because a few fans are butthurt the sequels weren't carbon copies of the first is doing only yourself a disservice.

Edit: No chance this game is $30 on release. Main game + all 3 DLCs has to be a full $60. This is Koei we're talking about, for a game that's not a year old.

sullynathan

Arcane

Souls games are mostly combat because they're action games, nothing wrong with that.

flyingjohn

Arcane
"Nioh: Complete Edition does not support mouse on the PC": http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nioh-complete-edition-not-support-mouse-pc/

And sky is blue.
This a staple of all tecmo pc ports.
Not a single one of them have any mouse support.And this means the pc sales will be garbage cause it is unplayable without a game pad.
Also forget about using anything this isn't a official Xbox or Sony controller.

They got away with it on dead or alive since most fighting game fans have game pads(and you only need one hand to" play" the game),but looking their other game sales this will be a complete disaster considering a large chuck of action pc gamers don't own a controller.

Oh and another warning,when choosing options high resolution means 4k and low 1080p.
So unless you have a 980,choose low resolution rendering.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't have it, and not going to buy it.
When it comes to gamepad, I have a picture of casual "gamer" that coollapsed on the coach, and playing game with one hand and beer in another.
Horrible picture, and no way I'll buy it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I play Japanese PC games mostly with a gamepad for sanity's sake, but that doesn't change the fact they're incompetent and/or lazy. They could learn from how other Western 3rd person action games (hell, even Japanese MMOs) are doing K/M control if they are willing to. They just don't.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Who doesn't have a spare gamepad? Not to mention the Souls series (gamepad only, unless you're masochistic) sold very well on PC.
A lot of people.Plus a lot of people buy controllers which are not official xbox or sony ones(which are expensive).
You can play action titles on a mouse and keyboard just fine.

Jinn

Arcane
So this is out in less than an hour according to steam. Who's going for it?

flyingjohn

Arcane
So for anybody getting this legally here is a hint how to change settings:
Right click game in library, click on nioh launcher screen
You can't change resolution in game.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
A lot of people.Plus a lot of people buy controllers which are not official xbox or sony ones(which are expensive).
x360ce is a thing.

Also, unlike a couple of years ago, there are now a plenty of value-priced gamepads with XInput support.

Suicidal

Arcane
Watched a stream of this game today. It looks pretty fun, but shitty PC controls are kind of a dealbreaker. I hope someone will make a mouse fix patch like they did with Dark Souls 1.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Okey,port report from playing for an hour:
This is on a 750ti and i5 4460.
-720p resolution with everything set to low and it never dips below 30 fps.Yes there are some areas where there are slowdowns but thy never go below 30 which is fine for me.No point in locking to 30 sine frame drops will be more severe and the game can maintain 60 most of the time.
The game also doesn't utilize 100 percent of cpu at lower setting meaning it is actually optimized according to settings.
-The game easily reads my controller and you can change the controls in the main menu with lots of presets available.For some reason it read my controller as the steam controller(maybe it defaults to steam controller if it can't recognize it)
Keyboard controls are fine but without mouse support it make no sense.You can use joytokey to overcome this.And yes,playing action games with keyboard and mouse is doable and not hard.
-Graphical options :
In game resolutions,texture resolutions,shadows and some fancy options like different versions of aliasing.Nothing special but not bare bones.

Have to say i am pleasantly surprised by this port.(especially looking at my hardware)

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Keyboard controls are fine but without mouse support it make no sense.You can use joytokey to overcome this.And yes,playing action games with keyboard and mouse is doable and not hard.

Does this joytokey thing allow you to use mouse look or just mouse buttons?

Suicidal

Arcane

Does this joytokey thing allow you to use mouse look or just mouse buttons?
Just mouse buttons unfortunately.

Sad. Hopefully someone makes some sort of patch for this.

Get on it you fucks, this game deserves a lot more attention that the measly 17 page topic it has, especially since shit like DA:I and ME:A or nu-Fallouts get hundreds of pages long megathreads.

Did you forget which site you're on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom