Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since I'm doing nothing but bitching anyway, I will also add that I don't find knocking out enemies that useful. Because for some reason that eludes me PB decided to give each enemy a free attack that I can't interrupt once it recovers. So I might get 2 or 3 swings in (of course rather weak ones because the real magic happens on the last few attacks in the chain) and then I have to dodge if I don't want to get hit.
So why should I knock down enemies again? They recover very quickly and I can't build up enough melee damage before they do. If I just keep them stunlocked but on their feet instead I can usually finish them off a lot faster.
At least that's how it is for human enemies and many animals and monsters. Not all of them can be stunlocked though.

Yeah, like Tigranes advised, you have to time that attack on the floored enemy as well. If you hurry up with the clicking, the enemy will get some instant recovery attack like you mention. But if you wait it out till he's ready to go back up anyway, you can get a free heavy hit in, without him retaliating.

Finally got on the Incline train, btw.
Really like the game so far.

But I do share some criticism that early game could do with a few more options. The "beginner" weapons for example. They seem to be mostly aesthetic differences between them. The Rusty Hatchet could be slightly better then the bent pipe and the broadsword could be significantly better. Meanwhile my character is level 6 I think, and he's yet to be eligible for any upgrade. Probably will qualify for the Hatchet next level, but it's hardly a huge upgrade (can be meaningful though).
Equipment upgrades in general could be spread a bit more throughout the game, rather then be lumped in 4 (generously speaking) tires.

Two handers also require too much Dexterity for my taste. Yeah, maybe I'll get that Dex eventually anyway. But I'd rather pursue a combat style throughout the game rather then switch late in the second half. I guess I will go with warhammers and greataxes instead. Hope they are good, though I've read about some issues with greatax animations not connecting. Is that true?

Also will I regret not joining Berserkers if I'm swinging a heavy two-hander? I rather like the "techy-sci-fi" look of Clerics and their arms.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also will I regret not joining Berserkers if I'm swinging a heavy two-hander? I rather like the "techy-sci-fi" look of Clerics and their arms

The clerics have some decent two handed warhammers. But you can use Berserker or Outlaw weapons even as a Cleric, you just can’t upgrade them with status effects (which isn’t really worth the money until you hit tier three anyway). Cleric hammers and outlaw reaper blades and slaughter blades have no DEX requirements—they’re STR/CON. In fact, it’s only the two handed Berserker swords that require dexterity.

Also, I can’t stress this enough: elex potions are essential to meeting the stat requirements for better weapons in the early game. Don’t worry about them boosting your cold rating, it’s easy to cancel that out with some emotional dialogue choices.

Elex

Arbiter
yes in elex some rusty weapon made of scraps deal more damage than a magic sword or an elex powered sword

but a magical bow deal more damage than a missile lancher or a plasma rifle.

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I watched this game on twitch I seems game lacks status effects badly. From what I seen there are basically two: Prone and Burning. And the best weapons in the game give you both at same time. Also Prone vs most enemies and you can keep them prone-locked making late game gameplay stupid.
It would be much better if it also had charmed, confused, slowed, hasted, frozen and some other effects.

EDIT: Oh and there is irradiated that kills you fast while you are in the area but I have not seen any enemies use that as an attack.

imweasel

The game has numerous status effects and buffs as well as debuffs.

Burning, poisoned, irradiated, shocked, stunned, chilled, hasted, bleeding, reflection, slow (stamina down) and whatever I forgot. There is no charm or confused in the game AFAIK.

EDIT: Oh and there is irradiated that kills you fast while you are in the area but I have not seen any enemies use that as an attack.
Reavers use it very often as a DoT attack.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only prone and irradiated area are noticeable. Burning is only noticeable because of animation (DoT itself is bad). These others I have not seen any noticeable effect (except running out of stamina which I cannot call Slow).
Hasted? How do you activate than one? How does it work ingame? What does shocked do? Stun is like miliseconds or something, prone lasts longer.

Elex

Arbiter
apparently there is also stuff like life steal, some socketable gem have it.

also EMP is in game, clearly it work only on robots (and mutants?).

Tigranes

Arcane
Only prone and irradiated area are noticeable. Burning is only noticeable because of animation (DoT itself is bad). These others I have not seen any noticeable effect (except running out of stamina which I cannot call Slow).
Hasted? How do you activate than one? How does it work ingame? What does shocked do? Stun is like miliseconds or something, prone lasts longer.

You want us to explain the whole game to you or something

ArchAngel

Arcane

Please do.

Tigranes

Arcane

Please do.

ELEX is ELEX, my friend

All glory unto ELEX

Tygrende

Arbiter

Please do.
Use the jetpack.

Ziem

Arbiter
there's also a debuff that stops stamina regen, stasis
ice enchanted weapons apply a slow, but it's not very significant

Please do.
haste - certain outlaw drugs increase your attack speed
shock is basically a dot effect like burning/bleeding/poison/radiation
there's a cleric spell that works kind of like a stun, but since it's kind of made obsolete by black hole, nobody cares

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok so there are a couple of same effects in dots that only exchange what damage they do. There is Haste than only makes you attack a bit faster but does not give you more move speed? Or it would be cool if it actually made others slower like Celerity in Bloodlines.
So Ice weapons also don't give significant effect.
How does stasis work? Lasts long enough to be noticeable?
And seems some stun that is way worse than black hole that makes everyone go prone.

So it again comes down to making people Prone and avoiding irradiated areas that kill you really fast?! And maybe that Stasis.

And how often do enemies use these effects? I have not seen much of any of that on streams.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damage types should do different damage to enemies, like energy does better against robots, but nobody knows if it works or not, so the only different status from others is Stasis. Perhaps Bleeding/Poison doesn't work on robots, I never used bleeding weapon.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Damage types should do different damage to enemies, like energy does better against robots, but nobody knows if it works or not, so the only different status from others is Stasis. Perhaps Bleeding/Poison doesn't work on robots, I never used bleeding weapon.
There are differences, but they are mostly negligible.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since Power wave doesn't turn Npcs hostile. I tried it out around some Npcs to test their placements. With kind of laughable results. Unfortunately, I didn't find any Npcs taking a piss when I was testing...

This oughta be patched tho.

Elex

Arbiter

robots are immune to bleed

mutant immune/resistant to radiation

energy/elettricy have no talent or stimpack only an unique shield with +20 resistance

Shadenuat

Arcane
- I forbid you to leave the city! C&C, bitch!
- k. (presses fast travel button)

- (tries enter the city again)
- Guard: I has order to forbid you to Exit the city! (teleports player into the city)
- k.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom