Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cross

Arcane
nobE9z9.png

Rev

Arcane
1) You don't see me brigading the devs on twitter or sending the tweet to some alt right cuck site to generate a shitstorm so I really don't get this comparison with SJWs. I just said I'm not gonna buy it.
2) Obsidian showed it in the past when they had different (read: good) writers + FNV and PoE didn't have romance so they couldn't shove their balls in your face even if the writers wanted to.
1) The point is that complaining just because there is some gay character in a game is about as stupid as complaining because there are too many straight white males in games.
2) Arcade Gannon was written by Sawyer, tho, and he's in charge of PoE2 as well, so I doubt that we will be faced with a Mizhena scenario in which you start talking with an NPC and he/she suddenly say "Hi, nice to meet you, btw when I was younger I thought I liked girls but now I realize I like boys" - "wow, you're very brave, thanks for sharing your story".

Sentinel

Arcane
1) You don't see me brigading the devs on twitter or sending the tweet to some alt right cuck site to generate a shitstorm so I really don't get this comparison with SJWs. I just said I'm not gonna buy it.
2) Obsidian showed it in the past when they had different (read: good) writers + FNV and PoE didn't have romance so they couldn't shove their balls in your face even if the writers wanted to.
1) The point is that complaining just because there is some gay character in a game is about as stupid as complaining because there are too many straight white males in games.
2) Arcade Gannon was written by Sawyer, tho, and he's in charge of PoE2 as well, so I doubt that we will be faced with a Mizhena scenario in which you start talking with an NPC and he/she suddenly say "Hi, nice to meet you, btw when I was younger I thought I liked girls but now I realize I like boys" - "wow, you're very brave, thanks for sharing your story".
1) I didn't complain there was a faggot in a game, but that gay/transqueergenderbender relationships were confirmed.
2) FNV and PoE didn't have romance so they couldn't shove their balls in your face even if the writers wanted to.
The pandering to Biowaretards for the fig $$$ is doubly infuriating. They could at least have used that money to pay Megan "She’s also frightening, hairy, stinks of wet animal and has an insatiable bloodlust for violence and slaughter. Beyond that, she is also a clever hunter, a brutish, skilled fighter, and is tenaciously loyal (unless, of course, she has sensed a weakness)" Starks not to write her self insert furry fanfic for PoE2. I just pray to God she isn't writing the Orlan midget. I actually like his portrait.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Avellone wanted to do it way before Sawyer. Gann in Mask of the Betrayer would've been romancable by male protagonists if it wasn't for Wizards of the Coast not allowing it.

Sannom

Augur
Wasn't 2012 way before the actual controversies and GG drama? Had sarkesian actually released any videos at that point?
The violence and harassment against Sarkeesian were at their worse during the Kickstarter. Her actual videos were too tame to draw controversy of that magnitude. Disappointment works the same way for "awesome" and "dreadful".

Ruzen

Savant
I think most of the RPGames approach for "romance" or care for an npc, is very wrong! It feels very check-boxy when after the party makes camp, suddenly all the men trying to put their dicks in my asshole or females telling me their deepest darkest secrets to make a bond with me. Witchers 3 approaches for these were felt much more natural. After 150+ hours of following the trails of Ciri, and finally caught up with her. As If she was like a good book character, I was very interested in her; It was tied in the main story. Like all the other romances happening between Geralt and other hot chicks -besides tavern whores- all of them were very tied to the main quest and therefore receiving a good presentation rather than a side activity.

In PoE (or most other rpg) most of the chars motive were thrown at you when you meet them and the game informs you like: YOU HAVE A COMPANION QUEST DO THIS TO FIND OUT MORE(ehe ehe). It feels very alienated from the adventure. From the quest log to quest line, all companion bonding or boneing stuff should be happening in main or side quests. It feels more natural (lets say) when the party enters a new area and starts a conversation about that place and a memory of theirs, which could lead to another talk and you could learn a bit more about the party you traveling with. After the dialogue, the game could continue.

I'm not ok with forced diversity but at least don't sacrifice the presentation or at least improve some writing techniques. Well, maybe that's the thing. Forced things always going to make things awkward. I mean just look at the D:OS2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Romances have to make sense! They have to serve some purpose and develop a character, not have them just for the lonely Bioware nerds to unload their pent up emotions! For example, Visas Marr was in love with the male PC because he was the only person in the entire universe to have felt the same kind of pain she has, that's understandable and logical. Everything in fiction requires justification and extreme emotions like romantic love require extreme justification. Having a harem of available and always ready robots misses the point so much it physically hurts.

Quillon

Arcane
I think most of the RPGames approach for "romance" or care for an npc, is very wrong! It feels very check-boxy when after the party makes camp, suddenly all the men trying to put their dicks in my asshole or females telling me their deepest darkest secrets to make a bond with me. Witchers 3 approaches for these were felt much more natural. After 150+ hours of following the trails of Ciri, and finally caught up with her. As If she was like a good book character, I was very interested in her; It was tied in the main story. Like all the other romances happening between Geralt and other hot chicks -besides tavern whores- all of them were very tied to the main quest and therefore receiving a good presentation rather than a side activity.

In PoE (or most other rpg) most of the chars motive were thrown at you when you meet them and the game informs you like: YOU HAVE A COMPANION QUEST DO THIS TO FIND OUT MORE(ehe ehe). It feels very alienated from the adventure. From the quest log to quest line, all companion bonding or boneing stuff should be happening in main or side quests. It feels more natural (lets say) when the party enters a new area and starts a conversation about that place and a memory of theirs, which could lead to another talk and you could learn a bit more about the party you traveling with. After the dialogue, the game could continue.

I'm not ok with forced diversity but at least don't sacrifice the presentation or at least improve some writing techniques. Well, maybe that's the thing. Forced things always going to make things awkward. I mean just look at the D:OS2.

Witcher is a different type of RPG where they didn't have to compromise writing as much as other rpgs that allow your character to be pretty much anybody. Ofc they'll make Geralt's "romances" well, heck, he already had "romances" with all those 3 women in the books already. They already had estabilished characters, relationships etc. for them to work on. Also I don't get what you are trying to tell with Ciri about romances? I'm about to get triggered cos the relationship there is father-daugther.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Also I don't get what you are trying to tell with Ciri about romances? I'm about to get triggered cos the relationship there is father-daugther.

It's fine if CDPR does this, but if any other company did that, it would be a sign of lazy writing.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Romances have to make sense! They have to serve some purpose and develop a character, not have them just for the lonely Bioware nerds to unload their pent up emotions! For example, Visas Marr was in love with the male PC because he was the only person in the entire universe to have felt the same kind of pain she has, that's understandable and logical. Everything in fiction requires justification and extreme emotions like romantic love require extreme justification. Having a harem of available and always ready robots misses the point so much it physically hurts.

This I agree with. But it's also in keeping with their described intentions for that stretch goal. We'll have to wait and see if implementation matches what they pitched us... but that's true for the whole game. :)

Ruzen

Savant
I'm about to get triggered cos the relationship there is father-daugther.
Because the post wasn't just about romance. Also, making good character development to make the player actually feel interested in a character.

Flou

Arbiter
The only romances that have actually annoyed me were in BioWare games, so I'm not worried about the romances in Deadfire. Obsidian has done romances in the past, but they've made them in a way that don't treat the companions as playersexual or make the romances appear from thin fucking air. I don't mind the gay/trans/lesbian/unicorn characters when they fit in the story and setting, and I don't mind them romancing my character if it is done well, not just thrown at your face like a handfull of shit by a monkey. That's what it felt like when pretty much every companion in Dragon Age 2 suddenly started to fell in love my character even though I did nothing to even trigger that. Had my charachter been a massive cocktease toward Anders (?) I would have fucking understood that development, but I did nothing. No flirtation, nothing. He just pretty much sticks his balls on my face all of a sudden.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
1) I didn't complain there was a faggot in a game, but that gay/transqueergenderbender relationships were confirmed.
2) FNV and PoE didn't have romance so they couldn't shove their balls in your face even if the writers wanted to.
The pandering to Biowaretards for the fig $$$ is doubly infuriating. They could at least have used that money to pay Megan "She’s also frightening, hairy, stinks of wet animal and has an insatiable bloodlust for violence and slaughter. Beyond that, she is also a clever hunter, a brutish, skilled fighter, and is tenaciously loyal (unless, of course, she has sensed a weakness)" Starks not to write her self insert furry fanfic for PoE2. I just pray to God she isn't writing the Orlan midget. I actually like his portrait.
Serafen is the shit. Also he is armed with hand cannon :killitwithfire:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The year is 2040. Pillars of Eternity VIII will feature romanceable kids where showing your dick in their mouths will be the norm because pedophilia is now on par with homosexuality due to Hollywood moguls pushing this agenda.
Kevin Spacey is now a hero and will voiceact a pedophile playable character. It will be nuanced, phun and very well written!

EDIT: Look at all the retards caressing the retarded rating. It's like watching a snake eating its own tail :)

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
Avellone wanted to do it way before Sawyer. Gann in Mask of the Betrayer would've been romancable by male protagonists if it wasn't for Wizards of the Coast not allowing it.

Same with Safiya. In the first draw she was also romance-able by ladies (and it actually made more sens than Gann being bi) but they trow it away.

Oh, the old homosexuality equals pedophilia.

Thank you for contributing! :roll:

Spacey more or less confirmed it with his own words.

Fry

Arcane
Hey, look at all these new posts in the Deadfire thread!

Oh... 3 pages of romance talk inevitably devolving into OMIGERD GAYS! :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom