Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Brigador: Up-Armored Edition - isometric mech action game

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played the single-player campaign through.

It is a fine game now. Controls are O.K., the difficulty is not too sadistic (if in trouble, choose a heavy mech/tank) and the game does have more depth than appears at first glance.

If you played games like this back in the day, you know what you are getting. Think Desert Strike, Walker, Crusader: No Remorse etc. 8h to do the SP campaign alone, could still replay the missions with other mechs/tanks.

The game definitely deserves to do better than it did. I wouldn't mind seeing more games of this kind of "thinking man's shooter" niche.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
And I wouldn't mind to see this beautiful, isometric, tile based, 2d engine used for an unofficial Mech Commander spiritual sequel. Either that or a turn based tactikool. It would be, literally, heavan. Maybe add a sprinkle of missiles...

I enjoyed Brigador as an action game, don't get me wrong. If I could nitpick, I understand why lighter chassis cost more in freelance mode, everything in this game is geared around the idea that higher difficulty=higher unlock cost. It's an interesting approach, but ultimately what it means is the average player will just play up untill his sweet spot and then be done with the game (a shame really, I played almost each campaign stage with all the veichles and it's been a great ride. Lots of different approaches to the exact same situation. Except Joy Bus/Hell Ride, fuck that mission).

I'd prefer if they followed a more traditional approach for their requisition system, one in wich you have to grind a bit to buy a single Rat King/Broodmare. As it stands you can simply requisition a Huss and an Otomo + Ploughman Launcher for about 5 Mil, add another 4-5 for Active Camo or that sonic thingy and you're set, an (almost ) fool-proof build that can take head on 95% of missions. Unless you plough yourself with that launcher :oops:. It... happens.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Even after the update the game feels a little bit aimless? I didn't read no text dumps so maybe it was my fault. The game could have used a story that was more involved with the gameplay, and some voice acting from the edgy drivers to give it some personality.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
In action games background story/questline is just buzz noise. You play it for the ackshum, not for the blahblah.
I am not dissing it, just stating the fact. Do you know the back story of Doom? Or Quake? Do you even care? No?

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Mno, for this type of game I generally detest the story for getting in the way. But while finding the gameplay of Brigador good fun on its own it still seemed to lack something to motivate me to go forward.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
New pilots and horns bring ~0.0 to the table, gameplay wise... Veichles and maps, on the other hand, are always good.
Still disappoint :( I had hoped for a rework of the campaign mechanics and unlocks.

And I'm still convinced that in the quantum dimension where good things happens, this game has a turn based squad-combat spin-off :argh:

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Yep, I am aware of P.B. The market for tbs mech battle isn't exactly overflowing, keeping oneself updated is easy :lol: , it does look extremely interesting, time will tell I guess!

That said Brigador is a perfectly fine game as-it-is, additional content is always welcome and the game already offers a ton! It's also sufficiently unique to stand on its own legs as a fun and engaging tactical shooter but man, each time I see those ultra detailed maps, already tile-based and choke full of veichles my brain starts melting and I begin to imagine a little TU counter near my cursor, a detailed damage template and a full-fledged chassis configuration, with hard points and shit...

Then I wake up, cry a little and go to work.

Last edited:
New pilots and horns bring ~0.0 to the table, gameplay wise... Veichles and maps, on the other hand, are always good.
Still disappoint :( I had hoped for a rework of the campaign mechanics and unlocks.

Also, I'm convinced in the quantum dimension where good things happens, this game has a turn based squad-combat spin-off :argh:

Not quite ~0.0 gameplay wise, you can trigger aggro w/out enemy LOS using your horn. Useful for setting up ambushes or those crazy Precursor James in a Varlet runs.

Love that Swordfish all the more now it comes with a siren

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/274500/announcements/detail/3080907195057150794

Our 'Nĭ Hăo a Tutti' update is live!
18 June - Boss Tweed
68acac61aa70d35b39f5272634cd287c0baf2760.png

This update features a complete revamp of in-game lighting, as well as Chinese and Italian localizations. It also includes a couple of exciting new features, with balance tweaks and bug fixes. We’re celebrating two years from our 1.0 release and we’ve still got more to come.

[stellarjockeys.com]
For new features, we’ve filled a common request from players: you can now purchase individual campaign missions to run with any loadout in Freelance, without having to attempt the complete campaign Freelance run.

28b25af467ce7cc63a70e61889fcfe9b62dd8939.png

Additionally, we've added the final set of pilots to the Brigador roster, each of whom specializes in fighting against particular factions (for example, only fighting Corvids and Spacers, not Loyalists). Discover who they are, and use them to better tailor your experiences fighting in Solo Nobre.

Complete changelog is here, and be sure to come visit us at the Brigador community Discord server.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/274500/discussions/0/540740500539087095/
Build Updates / Changelog
Current Update: v1.4
06 / 18 / 2018 — v1.4 — Nĭ Hăo a Tutti

Gameplay
  • Freelance variants for all Campaign missions are now purchasable, allowing free loadout selection
  • Added pilots Bulver and Aunup, who fight only Corvids & Loyalists
  • Added pilots Vocc and Poquet, who fight only Corvids & Spacers
  • Added pilots Black and Rem, who fight only Loyalists & Spacers
  • Added pilots Ka and Haapala, who fight only Corvids
  • Added pilots Tsunoda and Armbruster, who fight only Loyalists
  • Added pilots Saraf and Parrot, who fight only Spacers
  • Added Broadsword, Canary, Moray, and Juke as playable vehicles
  • Increased movement speed of all Ultra mechs by 1
  • Increased Huss shielding from 150/125 to 200/150
  • Increased Kettle forward speed from 7 to 8, linear damping from 2 to 3, and turn speeds from 120/180 to 160/180
  • Increased Praetor forward speed from 6.75 to 7.5, forward accel from 25 to 32.5, turn speed from 105/130 to 115/140
  • Reduced Praetor chasis rotation speed by 15
  • Increased Dorothy and Mongoose shields by 25
  • Reduced Sledger upper height from 0.895 to 0.7
  • Reduced Fence upper height from 0.911 to 0.65, radius from 0.65 to 0.5
  • Revised Fence hitpoint values from 100/75/100 to 50/75/125
  • Revised Tinker hitpoint values from 650/150/150 to 525/200/175
  • Reduced Nickel overshield from 250 to 200
  • Increased Treehouse overshield from 150 to 225
  • Increased Dragon speed by 1, reverse acceleration from 6 to 15, linear damping from 2 to 3.5
  • Revised Dragon hitpoint values from 600/125/225 to 450/175/300, turn speeds from 60/140 to 70/120, reverse acceleration from 15 to 10, reverse speed from 6 to 5.
  • Increased Quill forward speed from 6 to 10, forward acceleration from 7 to 12
  • Changed Quill boost speeds
  • Increased Hadhrat trample and tankrush models from heavy to superheavy, speed from 6 to 7.5, turn speed from 100/140 to 130/150
  • Added impact delay for Crambo rounds to prevent self-damage when firing at point blank range
  • Slightly increased Faker AoE damage against environment, will now 1-shot defense batteries on direct hit.
  • Completely revised the EMP special ability, longer cooldown but longer stun and much larger AoE
  • Increased EMP projectile penetration from 3 to 30

VFX
Understanding the Brigador engine much better has allowed us to refine the environment lighting both for performance and aesthetics:
  • Completely revamped in-game lights and lighting
  • Freelance runs now have varied lighting
  • EMP ability now disables lighting over a much larger area
  • Increased duration of Thunderclap's beam effect from 0.041" to 0.07"

MISC
  • Added Chinese and Italian localizations
  • Fixed bug where restarting a mission replaced world lighting with the menu preset
  • Fixed bug where the diamond stat pips were replaced with (?)
  • Reset unpurchased asset lighting to the original dark silhouette (pre-restart bug)
  • Added a copy of Kennedy's face prior to Solo Nobre's invasion
  • Fixed bug where hitting ESC between missions abandoned a run
  • Fixed hitbox for citylit_16_0000 street light
  • Rearranged ordering of Corvid heavy mechs in Intel

AUDIO
No audio changes

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The developers were bummed that they didn't strike it rich, but they made a damned fine, damned difficult, and damned stylish action game that does honor to old-school difficulty and design.

I know it's hard to be too excited when you can't pay your bills, but at least their product is top-shelf. Meanwhile, a dumbed-down Space Station 13 ripoff is the meme game of the moment because anyone can play it on any device.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am liking the game. Its scracthing an old scatch left from Infantry Online, and old mmo i loved to play and where you could pilot mechs in some maps.
The controls are good but i had to switch them to RELATIVE and i don't know why wasn't that the default.

I am having a lot of fun playing as a sparrow, running around, luring enemies mechs with my horn and then stabbing them in the back.
The campaign so far is nothing to write home about and, although i am playing more the freelancing mode i think, i think this is where i would like to see the game improved.

It may be wrong, and i might have to see more maps, but all missions feel the same. I am not very confident that this feeling will change.
The good part is the variety of guns and vehicles that can change the game a bit.

The developers were bummed that they didn't strike it rich, but they made a damned fine, damned difficult, and damned stylish action game that does honor to old-school difficulty and design.

I know it's hard to be too excited when you can't pay your bills, but at least their product is top-shelf. Meanwhile, a dumbed-down Space Station 13 ripoff is the meme game of the moment because anyone can play it on any device.

Did they make enough for a living? I feel guilty for having it for free. I plan on getting a copy for someone later on and getting their new game if they improve where it lacks.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
It may be wrong, and i might have to see more maps, but all missions feel the same. I am not very confident that this feeling will change.The good part is the variety of guns and vehicles that can change the game a bit.

I had Brigador in my wishlist for like four years, but never had the guts to buy it until now.

You're correct, the maps and the missions are incredibly samey BUT some campaign missions (if done with proper combos) show a tantalizing morsel of what Brigador could have been: for example, the mission where you start without ammo and have to dodge Loyalist suicide hovers and optimize a route through blockades to get to the ammunition, or the one where if you pick the powersuit it becomes a nerve-wracking exercise in avoiding the deadly Spacer heavy hovers, while baiting them on fuel tanks.

It's just a morsel though, and the game quickly stagnates.

I feel like they completely fucked up the progression. The unlocks maybe make sense from their point of view, but what's the point of even having them if you can unlock everything incredibly fast nonetheless and a shitton of builds feel incredibly samey? Why make the best vehicles incredibly easy to acquire - what's the point of feeling the power of a huge mech if you didn't earn it properly?

There's something wrong on the feeling of progression in Brigador, but I can't pinpoint what exactly. It's still fun and the combat does require a fair deal of thinking despite being frenetic as fuck, but it feels.... incomplete. Like there could have been so much more. I don't even understand why the devs felt the need to focus so much on a skirmish mode that doesn't give you any special rewards and are a bunch of randomly generated maps. What's even the point? People truly enjoy doing the same missions in the same locales with slightly different builds dozen of times?

Graphic ambience is great, I enjoy it immensely. The soundtrack is mediocre, can't even remember a tune after finishing the campaign and some free missions.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
It'd be nice to have a campaign like Mechwarrior 2/4: Mercenaries using the gameplay of Brigador as a solid foundation.
Yea, that would be cool. There is something wrong with how the campaign works in Brigador. The core mechanics and audio/visual side are cool but the structure built on top of it could have been better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom