Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny is really fucking good. Took a hurricane to realize it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They even removed Might giving bonus damage to spells :dance:

Uh they didn't do that just to piss you off. The point was to make Might useful for all classes. Tyranny is classless - in effect, every character is a fighter and every character is a mage - so it doesn't need to do that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo,all it took to like Tyranny was to be stranded in your home for 3 month without electricity and water. I take it that you even made a bunch of imaginary friends during that time. Say hi to Slender when you see him.

PS:Tyranny is garbage game and the worst obsidian game! Find some nice hooker to bring you back to reality mate!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Random encounters while travelling are pretty cool addition in this game. I hope PoE II has that as well. This is another +1 over PoE 1.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Random encounters while travelling are pretty cool addition in this game. I hope PoE II has that as well. This is another +1 over PoE 1.

I think random encounters were mentioned in one of the Fig updates.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Recently tried to start Tyranny again, with all the patches and the DLC content, and I just can't bring myself to continue. Literally zero of the narrative issues seem to have been fixed, and it's just too aggravating to even attempt to punch through the horrible rationales (or rather lack thereof) in terms of conversations and choices. While the overall narrative isn't bad, the individual points of digress and dialogue are absolutely awfully made, and tend to make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and beyond those points, you're absolutely on rails.

It's a damn pity, too, because aside from that and some other minor issues, I actually like Tyranny quite a bit more than Pillars of Eternity, but at least in PoE most of my decisions make a modicum of sense. Tyranny, on the other hand, is absolutely fucked.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Recently tried to start Tyranny again, with all the patches and the DLC content, and I just can't bring myself to continue. Literally zero of the narrative issues seem to have been fixed, and it's just too aggravating to even attempt to punch through the horrible rationales (or rather lack thereof) in terms of conversations and choices. While the overall narrative isn't bad, the individual points of digress and dialogue are absolutely awfully made, and tend to make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and beyond those points, you're absolutely on rails.

It's a damn pity, too, because aside from that and some other minor issues, I actually like Tyranny quite a bit more than Pillars of Eternity, but at least in PoE most of my decisions make a modicum of sense. Tyranny, on the other hand, is absolutely fucked.
You are not on rails. I am near the end and in my game I got a whole area I never got a chance to visit. Yea it is not Fallout like where you are trust into a huge world and if you really want to you can immediately go to end game areas but not every game needs to be Open World to be good.
One of the most Beloved games is Vampire Bloodlines and that game is very on rails if Tyranny is on rails, it is more on rails than Tyranny.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You are not on rails.
Outside of the points of digress that make little to no sense, yes, you are. You absolutely are. There's tons of points where it would make sense to do various things, but you can only do those things if you're on the right set of rails, even though you are essentially running through the same areas and situations.

I am near the end and in my game I got a whole area I never got a chance to visit.
That has nothing to do with you being on rails or not, and if anything, assuming you're talking about Lethian's Crossing vs. Burning Library, it's because you're actually on rails and the game forces you to do X after Y resolutions.

Yea it is not Fallout like where you are trust into a huge world and if you really want to you can immediately go to end game areas but not every game needs to be Open World to be good.
One of the most Beloved games is Vampire Bloodlines and that game is very on rails if Tyranny is on rails, it is more on rails than Tyranny.
One thing does not invalidate another. Also, I meant narratively and terms of characterization when I referred to the rails - you can go wherever the hell you want, it's just that you can't actually do anything that diverges from the rail that has been said - aside from the mentioned points of digress that makes no sense.

When I first played the game, I actually started cataloguing all annoyances and issues I ran into, but I ended up stopping because it felt like the list was actually just growing exponentially as I kept playing the game. And here I am again, trying a different set of tracks, only to figure out that hey, look, it's the same shit all over again. I can't even make the Vendrien Guard swear fealty to me and have it develop in a way that makes any sense whatsoever, even if you follow the dialogue in a way that makes the most sense, it's immediately assumed afterwards that I'm going to play the Disvafored and the Scarlet Chorus against eachother, with clear malicious intent, even though it hasn't even been brought up prior to that point and makes no sense whatsoever, and very much turns me into a traitor when the intent is entirely the opposite.

I can probably play an hour and find 5-10 issues like this, some minor, some major, and most often, if you want to leave the given set of rails, the only way to do so is to go BWAHAHAHA I KILL U NAO. At other times, when that would make perfect sense, the option is simply missing. Just in the prologue as I've played through it this time, I can think of at least 4 different issues at the top of my head that I didn't experience last time.

And the entire game is like this. It's infuriating, and I have no idea how anyone can think the writing is good or how half the things you do make sense.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Tyranny is alright. Not even close to being as bad as people make it out to be. I could stand it for like 4 hours, its defo better than piles of excrement and numanera.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are not on rails.
Outside of the points of digress that make little to no sense, yes, you are. You absolutely are. There's tons of points where it would make sense to do various things, but you can only do those things if you're on the right set of rails, even though you are essentially running through the same areas and situations.

I am near the end and in my game I got a whole area I never got a chance to visit.
That has nothing to do with you being on rails or not, and if anything, assuming you're talking about Lethian's Crossing vs. Burning Library, it's because you're actually on rails and the game forces you to do X after Y resolutions.

Yea it is not Fallout like where you are trust into a huge world and if you really want to you can immediately go to end game areas but not every game needs to be Open World to be good.
One thing does not invalidate another. Also, I meant narratively and terms of characterization when I referred to the rails - you can go wherever the hell you want, it's just that you can't actually do anything that diverges from the rail that has been said - aside from the mentioned points of digress that makes no sense.

When I first played the game, I actually started cataloguing all annoyances and issues I ran into, but I ended up stopping because it felt like the list was actually just growing exponentially as I kept playing the game. And here I am again, trying a different set of tracks, only to figure out that hey, look, it's the same shit all over again. I can't even make the Vendrien Guard swear fealty to me and have it develop in a way that makes any sense whatsoever, even if you follow the dialogue in a way that makes the most sense, it's immediately assumed afterwards that I'm going to play the Disvafored and the Scarlet Chorus against eachother, with clear malicious intent, even though it hasn't even been brought up prior to that point and makes no sense whatsoever, and very much turns me into a traitor when the intent is entirely the opposite.

I can probably play an hour and find 5-10 issues like this, some minor, some major, and most often, if you want to leave the given set of rails, the only way to do so is to go BWAHAHAHA I KILL U NAO. At other times, when that would make perfect sense, the option is simply missing. Just in the prologue as I've played through it this time, I can think of at least 4 different issues at the top of my head that I didn't experience last time.

And the entire game is like this. It's infuriating, and I have no idea how anyone can think the writing is good or how half the things you do make sense.
What you describe is like any other game. Big discovery, you can only do quests and content in game in the way game developers have designed it. WoW you really made us see it now. Compared to most other RPGs Tyranny actually gives you more choice.

You are on rails in every game ever that has any kind of quests system and story worth following (so we don't count Bethesda games into this). This one actually lets you have real C&C unlike most of those.

I have finished my first game and now I started another run, playing a different character and choosing different things (I sided with Voices of Nerat this time and I chose to be a savior of Tiers in my first run by siding with Vendrian Guards). Some things are similar but many are different enough that this feels like a game with proper C&C (when compared to 99% of other RPGs).
What happens made sense to me in both runs so far.

From what I gather most of your problems come from you wanting to roleplay this like it is a Pen&Paper session instead of a computer game.

Writing is serviceable, story mostly makes sense. The end of the game does not give you all the answers (or even the most important ones) but I hope I can gleen more info in my 2nd play by siding with Voices.
Having Sirene in my party in my 2nd play already filled in many blank spots that were left after 1st playthrough.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
From what I gather most of your problems come from you wanting to roleplay this like it is a Pen&Paper session instead of a computer game.

People don't really understand how hard it is to make an RPG with lots of C&C, so of course they have ridiculous expectations.

Cael

Arcane

At least it is not like NWN2. Bishop forces himself into your team. You can see long before even that that there is no way it would end well. Everyone and their mothers and dogs are telling you Bishop is bad news. Even your UNCLE, the one who forced Bishop to help you on that one run, objects to Bishop being around longer. Your team of 6 companions at that point consists of 2 Neutral Good and one Chaotic Good companions and a freaking PALADIN! Can you get rid of Bishop? Hell no! Suffer him standing there until he betrays you, bitch! And the worse part is? YOU CAN'T EVEN KILL HIM BECAUSE HE WON'T STAY DEAD!!

Ulfhednar

Savant
Get Solar panels and vote for the Democrats.

It will also prevent another hurricane.
Trees are the only thing that will take the carbon out of the air, and no politician is running or probably ever will run as a Johnny Appleseed.
Let's not forget cyanobacteria!
If we have to terraform Terra with cyanobacteria, then we are fucked.

Also, "Vote for Cyanobacteria!" would be the most hilarious political campaign ever.

Ulfhednar

Savant
"If this is a cautionary tale, if there is some moral you can take away from this, you are free to extract it for yourself. If you do, perhaps you can act on it."

Lazy... science journo's always neutral positive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom