Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
*snip*

Also some crowd control method would be nice, because I am often facing 3 or more very aggressive enemies at the same time (like 3 mutants or 3 mutants plus 2 dogs plus a chicken that also decided to join the party) and my companion is completely useless most of the time. And with 3 or more enemies I can't chain attacks to a point where I get good damage output.

Horses for courses, I really like this personally. I'm 35 hours in and I still can't just wade into combat with three equally-armed trained soldiers or ravenous wild, mutated beasts, and expect to win. Most games of this ilk, once you get reasonably tooled up, you can breeze 90% of the fights with no effort, but not ELEX. It's consistent with the tone of the game that combat against more enemies, the odds should be stacked against you. I can sometimes take 3, if I abuse grenades or get lucky and my companion can tank 2 and I quickly kill the third, but so far it's always something I'd rather avoid if I can.

I'm going to miss the deadliness of combat when I finally get some reliable CC and can stunlock people to death, but then there's the giant critters and mechs to take care of. (Playing on Difficult btw.)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
black people, before the comet.

yeah i laffed at this one

just like i laffed at this goy here absolutely having no idea what he's talking about:

No, the game should be better, they took ten steps back and none forward with this bastard, not a single improvement in sight.

and at this poor alb who just tilted and got stuck in midair:

lSuz6O.jpg

XTtiW2.jpg

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
*snip*

Also some crowd control method would be nice, because I am often facing 3 or more very aggressive enemies at the same time (like 3 mutants or 3 mutants plus 2 dogs plus a chicken that also decided to join the party) and my companion is completely useless most of the time. And with 3 or more enemies I can't chain attacks to a point where I get good damage output.

Horses for courses, I really like this personally. I'm 35 hours in and I still can't just wade into combat with three equally-armed trained soldiers or ravenous wild, mutated beasts, and expect to win. Most games of this ilk, once you get reasonably tooled up, you can breeze 90% of the fights with no effort, but not ELEX. It's consistent with the tone of the game that combat against more enemies, the odds should be stacked against you. I can sometimes take 3, if I abuse grenades or get lucky and my companion can tank 2 and I quickly kill the third, but so far it's always something I'd rather avoid if I can.

I'm going to miss the deadliness of combat when I finally get some reliable CC and can stunlock people to death, but then there's the giant critters and mechs to take care of. (Playing on Difficult btw.)

Complete bullshit, the game is only ''hard'' because of the terrible melee combat and the fact that everything is gated behind levels and equipment just to hide the terrible AI, there's no other way to put it. Also another deal breaker for melee combat is that enemies can hit you because somehow you have the hitbox of a truck and no amount of rolling or dodging can save you, also your attacks seems to go through them and never get registered, I guess this is also a feature of this great game. And like everyone else said, go melee in the beginning and ranged later on, because the AI is so simple and stupid and the fact that it has only two combat animations, they will never get the chance to touch you. This game has no rhyme,no worldbuilding coherence, it trully feels like an offline mmo because of the extreme level,equipment restrictions and the fact that it forces you to just grind nonsense quests just to have the opportunity to fight the worst AI in the gaming industry.

This game is complete garbage, IGN was correct for once, but still on the wrong side, it should have been 2/10 instead of 5/10.

Renevent

Cipher
Bought this on Saturday, think I put in around 6 hours so far and just got the thieves city or whatever it's called. So far it's pretty damn good though and feel like classic Gothic start as a weakling and lots of exploration. Also lots of dying. Still getting used to combat and honestly not even sure what kind of character I will be ultimately creating. Melee is alright so far and I kinda wanted to go more ranged, but for where I am now feels like using the starter bow is rubbish and not liking how every single enemy it seems like has ranged as well including the wildlife.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
This game is complete garbage, IGN was correct for once, but still on the wrong side, it should have been 2/10 instead of 5/10.
Struggling with the unblockable, nearly undodgeable rock throw attack?
The rocks have microchips embedded in them with heat seeking AI navigation, that's how they can home in on you. It's all explained the lore you just have to read the expanded universe novels.

Xeon

Augur
So this guy is doing a trial speedrun of ELEX and my god is range overpowered and a lot better than melee.

At level 6 or 7 he got the Redeemer and started killing everything with no problems with no armor or anything, harping about armor feels stupid now. He did use a glitch for a lot of money and made a lot of potions to up his stats for the Redeemer and then bolted running and avoiding enemies to get the gun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I actually played ELEX, and I know when Troll enters your camp with all characters, and you need to kill him to have safe place, you need to fight him out. So I definitely know rock throws are dodgeable, when you are not dodging into the same direction as you move, or don't try to dodge too soon. Trolls are smart.

Also that third image had that dog clipping his left hand, it's just hidden behind his body.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Well if you're rolling against small mutants you're an idiot anyways. Who cares about the hit box? It's easy to adapt to the combat and use tactics that work even with the clunky combat and horrible hitbox.

For example, you should just be blocking against the smaller mobs while circling. They will completely miss you half the time with their combos, and only once the other half taking a bit of stamina, but you can take a second to recover or counter immediately. This is while locked on btw which slows your movement. Shields also seem to make you slightly slower than just carrying a one hander. I typically take 2 hits instead of one, so I think it's better to just stick without a shield unless you're going against range. If you roll away from these smaller mobs you're farther away from them and by the time you get into range the mob has already turned around and is prepared to attack again.

With human opponents you should only roll backwards. You can block or wait for them to do a combo that runs their stamina down, then once they're out of stamina, it's easy to keep them from recovering it as hitting them lowers their stamina. They kind of fixed this in the patch by letting human enemies now attack you with one hit even when they're out of stamina, but it's still an effective tactic.

With the bigger enemies you can roll side to side just fine. Trolls have this annoying attack where if you roll backwards, they will just slide forward while swinging their arm and hit you, but when rolling to the side it's fine.

Tigranes

Arcane
So this guy is doing a trial speedrun of ELEX and my god is range overpowered and a lot better than melee.

At level 6 or 7 he got the Redeemer and started killing everything with no problems with no armor or anything, harping about armor feels stupid now. He did use a glitch for a lot of money and made a lot of potions to up his stats for the Redeemer and then bolted running and avoiding enemies to get the gun.

You can also kill anything with Black Hole, which you can conceivably get at, what, level 5? It would just take forever unless you levelled up & levelled up your Psi/battery.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Well if you're rolling against small mutants you're an idiot anyways. Who cares about the hit box? It's easy to adapt to the combat and use tactics that work even with the clunky combat and horrible hitbox.

For example, you should just be blocking against the smaller mobs while circling. They will completely miss you half the time with their combos, and only once the other half taking a bit of stamina, but you can take a second to recover or counter immediately. This is while locked on btw which slows your movement. Shields also seem to make you slightly slower than just carrying a one hander. I typically take 2 hits instead of one, so I think it's better to just stick without a shield unless you're going against range. If you roll away from these smaller mobs you're farther away from them and by the time you get into range the mob has already turned around and is prepared to attack again.

With human opponents you should only roll backwards. You can block or wait for them to do a combo that runs their stamina down, then once they're out of stamina, it's easy to keep them from recovering it as hitting them lowers their stamina. They kind of fixed this in the patch by letting human enemies now attack you with one hit even when they're out of stamina, but it's still an effective tactic.

With the bigger enemies you can roll side to side just fine. Trolls have this annoying attack where if you roll backwards, they will just slide forward while swinging their arm and hit you, but when rolling to the side it's fine.

Who cares if the combat is shit, at least I got the.....well what do I got? Story is all over the place, quests are mediocre, the world is empty outside the settlements and the loot is terrible, well if you consider mugs and toilet paper rolls good loot that's up to you, but in the end what does this game has to offer? At least in Gothic the lore was somewhat credible and the world felt alive and big even tho the map is much smaller than Elex , I didn't need a map bigger than Gothic 3, I wanted a game nicely packed with content,not running around an empty wasteland with some randomly generated trash mobs and no friendly NPC in sight.
Next time they should stay away from the ''Our game is much bigger than everything else'' and focus on what made the fucking studio, nice and tight games packed with content, well crafted world and well placed monsters, not the bullshit I got in this game.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

what version he play?

Xeon

Augur
Yesterday he was studying his route or something and I think he said latest version because some people suggested a few glitches to use.

Glitch he used is with the weapon trader I think in the Clerics base, he clicks and change between items pretty fast and get money when he close trade window or something.

Edit:
Video of the glitch, he used this glitch.

Last edited:
after reading much ado and horseshit about this title, I finally picked up the GOG version ... I have to say that this game is so very well done. I went in with less than zero expectations, and now I am completely sucked into Magalan. fucking amazing

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also I found something really weird today (and not for the first time too IIRC)

Climbed up a random radio tower and while running in circles looking for shit, I suddenly came upon this prompt:

qsNwgr.jpg

"Reveal map"

Clicking it triggers a generic "Can't do anything with this" response.

Possible cut content hinting that there was a fog of war on the map at some point? Either that or bullshit AssCreed style "LOOK AROUND AND MARK ALL SIGHTSEEING SPOTS ON UR COMPASS".

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also I found something really weird today (and not for the first time too IIRC)

Climbed up a random radio tower and while running in circles looking for shit, I suddenly came upon this prompt:

qsNwgr.jpg

"Reveal map"

Clicking it triggers a generic "Can't do anything with this" response.

Possible cut content hinting that there was a fog of war on the map at some point? Either that or bullshit AssCreed style "LOOK AROUND AND MARK ALL SIGHTSEEING SPOTS ON UR COMPASS".
It's a good thing nothing came out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom