Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wait, is it supposed to be a bad thing that you take more damage from the back?
No, not unless you're retarded. Taking damage from the back is pure incline in the context of the given combat style that they've gone with.

Morkar Left

Björn Pankratz said in a DevTalk that they got in 95% of what they wanted to include in it.

Right. Then were is the other 25% ? :)

I was surprised by that as well. Especially when attribute descriptions etc. don't seem to align with the actual gameplay rules and other details feeling unpolished. I guess he was talking more about the overall content and features.

GloomFrost

Arcane
In Gothic, when I am spotted by a tough enemy, depending on where I am, I might be royally fucked and destined for a reload

In Elex, I run into a group of supermutants, run past them, jetpack away and laff
Most enemies in Elex have ranged attack so jetpack doesnt guarantee safe escape all the time. Also in Gothic often you could just get up on some hill and kill even the toughest enemies with a bow or a crossbow. I ve noticed that some people really idealize combat system and balance in Gothics.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
In Gothic, when I am spotted by a tough enemy, depending on where I am, I might be royally fucked and destined for a reload

In Elex, I run into a group of supermutants, run past them, jetpack away and laff
Most enemies in Elex have ranged attack so jetpack doesnt guarantee safe escape all the time. Also in Gothic often you could just get up on some hill and kill even the toughest enemies with a bow or a crossbow. I ve noticed that some people really idealize combat system and balance in Gothics.
Anyone that says that the combat in Elex isn't bad is fucking stupid. It's OK to like Elex for others reasons and aspects that they value more, but the combat is pure shit, and could easily - conceptually if not in practice - be improved upon immensely.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I agree the melee combat is quite bad. It's nowhere near Ris3n levels of bad, but it was not enjoyable at all to me. Manages to be simultaneously cumbersome and floaty, somehow.

Jetpacking around and shooting people in the face with a lazor rifle is quite nice otoh.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In a good RPG combat effectivity should be based more on stats and skills of the character than on coordination/twitch skills of the player.
ELEX does exactly that. If you build your character you can fight every monster type easily. Until then: Run away.
Using the attributes as a check for better gear only is a wise decision by PB, because otherwise with all the re-spawning players could level their damage (based on attributes) beyond all limits.

Volken

Scholar
In a good RPG combat effectivity should be based more on stats and skills of the character than on coordination/twitch skills of the player.
ELEX does exactly that. If you build your character you can fight every monster type easily. Until then: Run away.
Using the attributes as a check for better gear only is a wise decision by PB, because otherwise with all the re-spawning players could level their damage (based on attributes) beyond all limits.

When I got plasma gun artifact weapon I suddenly became a god (without even joining a faction) and retarded AI posed zero challenge. I could have defeated every enemy in the game by stun-locking him. I don't like that at all. I wouldn't point that out as a good design.

Run or die is meh when you finally start killing stuff and it becomes a snooze fest. It's a game of extremities. Once you break certain threshold you are never challenged -> gameplay becomes boring.

I hope they patch it otherwise the game is kinda dead as plot is kinda lame.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also you need to master the awesome skill called "hide behind companions." Look there is a barefoot woman [B]JarlFrank[/B] and you can totally have her as a companion. Then you can watch her feet, and when you hear biting and chewing and attacking sounds of a raptor, you look at raptor and start attacking him. It solves about 1/5 of trouble.

Screenshot pls :M

Xeon

Augur
I am a little confused. Combat based on stats is good, then that's great but equipment is more relative[?] than stats in combat and apparently you can have max attributes using the pure ELEX potion or something. That's not about stats and skills of the characters, no? or am I misunderstanding something.

Anyway I hope in sequel or hopefully in a patch they change the system so stats and skills have bigger impact than current.

Elex

Arbiter
I am a little confused. Combat based on stats is good, then that's great but equipment is more relative[?] than stats in combat and apparently you can have max attributes using the pure ELEX potion or something. That's not about stats and skills of the characters, no? or am I misunderstanding something.

Anyway I hope in sequel or hopefully in a patch they change the system so stats and skills have bigger impact than current.
the issue is more on the upgrade weapon stuff.

if you can find a weapon that fit your stat well your damage will increase gradually, but instead you generally search for stuff around the map until you can use something with decent damage.

instead apparently you are supposed to upgrade weak weapon, this ramp up in damage (and stat requirement), so you can't keep upgrade the same weapon and you have to find another weapon and upgrade it for increase your damage and fitting your stat.

nobody do that, because you don't have the money, and when you have the money you already have the stat for a maxed +3 weapon with enchantment.

the result is early game is all about a 20 damage axe then swapped to a 30 damage axe then a 47 sword with dot or similar stuff found during a quest and then the final weapon +3 with dot.

if they replace that retarded weapon upgrade process with multiple weapons different stat and requirement VISIBLE when you go to a shop or find a weapon the progress will be better, now you can only know the damage/requirement of an upgraded weapon from the crafting menu

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Invasion of Abessa

I'm missing one combat robot. Wtf do I do!!??

EDIT: fuckit. found a lucky old save, re-did it.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
i am supposed to find the code for
the missile launch base
?
or there is some enigma?
i don't understand what's the point of hack skill if i can find all the code in game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

The word you're looking for is relevant, but no, you're not really missing anything. Combat relies primarily on your weapon and your own ability to use the (terrible) controls to navigate/"dodge"/aim, as well as predict the (extremely simple) behaviour of the (completely retarded) AI, or, bar that, exploit the (utterly broken) world geometry and combat (such as shooting black hole/AoE through walls & ceilings).

The only thing stats determine, apart from a +10/20/30(?)% modifier to damage from a skill, is your ability to use whatever weapon we're talking about. Attributes only serve as a gating/specialization mechanic.
i am supposed to find the code for
the missile launch base
?
or there is some enigma?
i don't understand what's the point of hack skill if i can find all the code in game.
There is no point. I don't think I've found any (hackable) electronic locks for which the code that cannot be found in the same room, or during the course of a quest.

But I've also not really found anything worthwhile locked away in a safe or anything, either, so it seems to me that hacking is indeed useless. I like having it anyway, just to be able to get into things as I find them (because there are no map notes), but there's really very little point to it.

I ve noticed that some people really idealize combat system and balance in Gothics.

Gothics came out in early 2000s. Back then, melee combat in RPGs was stuff like Morrowind's click-attack-click-attack, Bioware's click once and continue attacking, or the more sophisticated click directionally-attack-click directionally-attack of Ultima Underworld/Daggerfall.

Then Gothics came and introduced a melee combat system where you could time your weapon block to parry the enemy and then counter-attack, where you could string attacks into fancy looking combos, and where increasing your weapon skill actually led to different, more efficient and cooler animations. This was years before Mount & Blade, and more than a decade before Witcher 3.

Some of you who have played them recently for the first time don't realize how revolutionary they were in terms of combat at that time, even if it's not very polished or perfect.

Tigranes

Arcane
G1/2 melee also remains more fun than anything in a Witcher game, or most other first person RPGs (leaving out Dark Souls and the like from the equation).

Tygrende

Arbiter
So, I just found out that the english translation is trash and largely different from the original german version. As a matter of fact all translations are trash since all of them are based on the english one.

TXKfwIQ.jpg

Logan's motivation for blowing up Hort is completly different. In the german version he considers Clerics to be even more dangerous than the Albs while in the english version he's just being a selfish asshole.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
A funny thing about Elex is that you can find legendary weapons relatively easily but you can't equip them due to stat restrictions, whilst in other games you have to kill a giant lizard to get your weapon. The mechanics behind Elex's gameplay are indeed interesting but the controls are clunky, Japanese games like Nier or even western ones like DmC have much more precise controls.
It's not a matter of design, it's just bad implementation. They thought for example that having shotguns would be cool and setting appropriate but using this shotgun to shoot mutants is an entirely different issue. Press left trigger to aim and the right to shoot all the while mutants are running towards you at supersonic speeds. It's like they didn't play DmC or even Syphon Filter or even Hitman to know how good controls are and work.
No reason to snub action games if you are trying to make one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom