Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Morkar Left

Was ACE already mentioned before as an additional publisher or did they jump in with Topwares insolvency?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Good in which aspect? To me it looks like they'd have to make a 180degree turnaround, switch the main protagonist, big parts of the writing, fix all the bugs, replace voice actors, redo combat etc usw to make this game even bearable.

And they managed to pull that off you tell me? I need some elaboration on that.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
fix all the bugs, replace voice actors, redo combat
They did that, more or less. The writing is actually not that bad and Captain Raven grows on you. As for the other parts of the game the soundtrack is top notch, it looks good even if it probably won't fully take advantage of your hardware and the ship to ship combat and trading is serviceable.

I do have a pretty high tolerance for games such as this though, I really liked both of the Two Worlds games, Demonicon, Bound by Flame and other b-games so if you need AAA production values to enjoy popamole then this probably isn't for you. Personally I find this game better than its competitors, Risen 2 was a pirate themed fantasy RPG without any real piracy and Black Fag was about time reliving parkour ninja arabs with hoodies. Raven's Cry likes to drive home the point that pirates are illiterate scummy assholes and the central plot is fittingly a revenge story, unlike the other games it actually embraces the setting with all that entails instead of just using it as a backdrop.

So yeah, it's still rough around the edges but as far as pirate themed RPGs go it's pretty much one of a kind and not as bad as its reputation would have you believe.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I really don't see how anything was fixed in this re release whatsoever:

The only good thing is the ship combat,everything else is beneath two worlds, demonicon and etc.
Just the land combat and writing is unity indie level.(and no,the writing is not good,it feels like it was written by a edgy teenager)
Oh and the performance is horrible as well,in fact the original version runs better then the new "improved" version,with one of the developers citing 30 fps as intended cinematic feel.
And for added bonus ,most of the bugs of the vanilla are still not fixed.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
:necro:
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/20...ensive-treasure-chest-edition-two-years-later

"Worst Game Of 2015" Raven's Cry Gets An Expensive Treasure Chest Edition Two Years Later

large_3256-thickbox_default.jpg

case you are utterly insane and want to spend 89,99 € on a whim, here's all the stuff you'll get in the Treasure Chest when it comes out November 9, copied directly from the press release.
  • Newest Version of Vendetta: Curse of Raven’s Cry V. 1.10 (on 2x Discs)
  • Handcrafted Teak Wood Box with Serialized Badge
  • Brass Sextant
  • Brass Telescope
  • Brass Combination Sundial/Compass
  • All New In-Game Location To Explore
  • New Quests With 60 Minutes of Extended Playing Time
  • 60 Minutes of Extended Play Time
  • Two New In-game Items
  • Black Bandanna With Raven’s Cry Logo
  • Artbook (Physical Copy)
  • Songbook (Physical Copy)
  • Map/Poster of the Caribbean
  • Enhanced Soundtrack On MP3 (120 Minutes)
  • Optional Steam Key
  • Serial Key Certificate
  • Digital Bonus Material

Morkar Left

Box sure looks interesting but a bit late? I'm more interested to know if it's further patched than 60 minutes more gameplay...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm: This has got to be some kind of money laundering operation.

• New Quests With 60 Minutes of Extended Playing Time
  • 60 Minutes of Extended Play Time

lol

Morkar Left

Okay, I know what I'm getting for Christmas...

Brass telescope, sextant and compass. They look very cool. Also good for finding my way to work on cold winter mornings.

You can buy those on amazon, too. I'm curious how much the game box will cost.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I bought this a little while back (the developer sells keys for the game cheap on G2A...), and put an hour or so into it.

I dunno how bad the original version of this game was, but it's not bad at all now. Not great, maybe not even good, but not bad. At least at this point in the game (1 hour in), it gives a nice feel of being a pirate on a pirate island, and feels like you will have plenty to do. But we'll see.

Morkar Left

For 80€, the brass sextant and telescopes can't be of very high quality.

of course they aren't. Don't expect them to be of actual use. They are smaller as the real deal as well. Still, looks good on your shelf.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
of course they aren't. Don't expect them to be of actual use. They are smaller as the real deal as well. Still, looks good on your shelf.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if they lost money on each copy they sold, given how the game seems quality-wise.

Heretic

Cipher
There was another update in November
Version 1.10 Release notes:
- optimization and correction of cutscenes
- optimization of multi CPU support
- Audio fixes and dialogue corrections
- Audio enhancements and additions across the islands
- Multiple fixes in accordance with playthrough reports
- Multiple main and side quest corrections and expansions:
* Sully's books added to his "death hut".
* Shaka's reactions enhanced during Sully's demise.
* The Maroons' hiding spots moved for better concealment.
* The cave battle of the Maroons versus the soldiers expanded.
* Extra loot in the docks near the clerk in St. John
* While assassinating the clerk, you can choose to kill a random colonist accidentally (or on purpose).
* More characters populate Avery's port (you can also interact with some)
* Small addons to Avery's colony (captive and domesticated animals, guards, servants, etc.)
* Ray's and the Colonist's paths in the Patriarch assassination missions optimized.
* Corrections in scripting for the Avery's and Arko sidequests.
* Corrections in the Patriarch ship hunt sea battle mission.
* Expansions and additional plot and gameplay added in Avery's storyline: additional assassination missions, hunt for buccaneers, and more.
* Spoiler: Ray (as your ally) will actively help you out in fights when completing Avery's missions (e.g. during the infiltration of Buccaneer Island)
* Ray's attacks include melee / armed combat and tossing explosives
* Spoiler: additional ways of eliminating the clerk in the port assassination mission for Avery
* Interactions with Ray expanded, with new extended gameplay sections, fights and dialogues
* Avery's port office overhauled and expanded
* Avery's plantation and mansion overhauled and expanded
* More characters and interactions in Avery's plantation
* Overhaul and expansion of Avery's port
* Musician to steal money from added in Avery's port
* Hayes, his Hunting Stall, and his sidequest line added to Avery's port (quest opens after the Maroons' line, when Tutuola goes missing)
* Arko's line expanded with the tasks of recovering his relics (sound-orientated mission), and tracking down and defeating Modok the evil shaman
* Tutuola's voodoo houngan cave added as a new location (with extra loot and interactions)
* Tutuola's storyline expanded, with extra missions and a new conclusion added for the Maroons' houngan
* Extra rewards from Tutuola, including loot, experience, and Erzulie's portrait
* The hut and the killing fields of Ray's brother Sully added as a new location (with loot and extra items around)
* More tasks and encounters with the girls at the brothel
* Goat dressed up at the brothel (find out the details from Maria's sidequest)
* Spoiler: Ray's brother storyline expanded with a new conclusion (human sacrifice)
* Spoiler: moral choice expanded in Ray's brother storyline (possibility to spare the brother, or to deliver him to the Maroons to be sacrificed)
* Spoiler: moral choice expanded in Avery's island assassination / Patriarch sabotage mission (possibility to spare the wife, murder her, or let Ray kill her)
* Spoiler: gravesites and a shrine to Christopher's murdered parents added as a new location (XP for visiting)
* Spoiler: fight against Ray and hunting down Avery in his mansion expanded and lengthened
* Additional interactions with the Maroons (extended spying/tracking down sequence, introductory fight, extended scenes)
* Additional enemies and fight encounters added (humans, e.g. Hayes the Hunter, and animals, e.g. the Giant Sabertooth cryptid)
* Fixes and multiple enhancements in the Ancient Temple trap labyrinth
- Fixes in console messages and logs.
- New sidequests and extra characters added (extra XP points for finding 'Crocodile Gena')
- Additional ship encounters
- Additional sea mission / treasure search
- Additional and expanded logs
- Multiple additions and expansions across all islands (new ruins, new sacrificial altar with extra loot, new cannibal rituals and sacrifices, and much more)

And now Vendetta is on sale for its lowest price yet.
I consider buying it.

Morkar Left

I don't know... I guess somewhere in it is an actually good pirate game. I consider buying it sometime in the future as well.

Heretic

Cipher
I bought it in the last sale. I haven't experienced any bugs, but the gameplay is very clunky - both the sword as well as the ship combat.
The pacing is also all over the place. You land in a port, do three quests and are sent to the other side of the sea to do two other quests, than you have to travel elsewhere again to do a few quests, and then again...

The main character is nicely misanthropic.

Overall it's meh. Try it but don't expect a miraculous game. A more clunky Two Worlds with a pacing broken by the need to travel between the islands all the time.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, bought it but my potato can barely run it. My hike can't come soon enough.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is honestly the best pirate RPG I've ever played. It has low Steam ratings because of a really botched release version, but as of late 2020 all bugs seem to have been squashed. Although I haven't finished the game yet, after hours of play I did not encounter a single issue with the game at all, not even a minor bug, so it seems all is fine by now.

The atmosphere of the game is superb. It feels quite grim and violent, which fits the pirate theme perfectly. It's more akin to Black Sails TV series than any other pirate game I ever played. Music is very pleasant, from calm ambient sounds and quiet theme to tavern sordid songs sung and played by NPCs, it all fits perfectly. Visuals are just as good, the game is fairly gloomy, nonetheless, there are not only dark jungles or dirty docks, but also beautiful beaches and wealthier town parts which look authentic and pleasant.

The main storyline might not be the most interesting one with its theme of vengeance, but it is properly delivered and side quests can be quite interesting. Moreover, the main character, who is a pirate, acts like one. A deranged man with no morals and you get to play the bad guy, which is rare even in pirate games - which usually while allowing you piracy, have storylines about saving someone or the world or you always act like the nice guy helping others and just receiving payment as a reward, or becoming a merchant. In Vendetta it's the complete opposite. I especially appreciate the complete lack of any political correctness and realistic portrayal of the times. Lots of swearing from pirates, as well as "dirty talk", no "poor and defensless native people" just trying to stay alive against evil colonizers like in Risens. Here they are portrayed in a more authentic way of the brutal world and in their interactions with outsiders. They are depicted as uncivilized and often as immoral as invaders, if not more. Women are clearly presented in the game more to be either wives or prostitutes, no women captains or governors. Piracy is more profitable than trade as well. While this all might sound a little harsh and degrading, it is a realistic depiction of the times and places.

Combat is outstanding. Both land fights and sea battles are enjoyable and challenging. A lot of people in Steam reviews complain about the combat - I suspect these people don't enjoy the challenge. When you fight in melee you need to time your attacks correctly and block properly. Mashing LMB will get you killed quickly. Fights require patience, not throwing yourself at the enemy. When fighting multiple enemies, they will not allow you to duel them in succession, but instead stab you in the back as soon as they can. To win unfair fights you're often going to need some dirty tricks, including kicking, using second weapon that is your hook, or using pistols - and you can carry up to three of them loaded simultaneously. There are skills improving your possibilities in combat, but more important are the player's skills.

Sea battles are also well made, but more similar to other pirate games. You press a button to give command to shoot from left, right or front, and have option to use three different kinds of ammunition. Boarding is also possible, although you don't take a part in it directly, but just give orders. There are different ships to use in the game and each of them can be upgraded so as to make it better in some ways, such as you can sacrifice some space for cargo to load more cannons on the ship. My only complaint is that you can only have one ship. There is no way to hire another captain and create a fleet, which is a shame because I'd really like to make a fleet and besiege a town, but I guess that was beyond developers' time or capabilities.

There are also multiple factions to join, but you don't need to join anyone and are able to remain a lone wolf throughout the game, however, you can get more quests if you join one of them, i.e. the French. In addition, you never have too much money in Raven's Cry, as often is the case in other RPGs. There are always multiple things to spend money on, and ships can be very expensive.

Recapitulating, this is a properly done Role-Playing as well as pirate game with fantastic land and sea combat, marvelous realism and authenticity of the world and decent enough story. All activities in this game give plenty of entertainment, whether it is combat, dialogues, exploration or piracy. There are no weak or poorly made parts of the game, which is extremely rare in pirate games. Bugs seem to have been fixed too. Overall, it's a really great game worth time and money. Unquestionably the best game from Reality Pump. If you enjoy RPGs, then I strongly recommend playing Vendetta as it's an engrossing and gratifying experience.

covr

Prophet
Patron
RPGCODEX review when?

This is honestly the best pirate RPG I've ever played. It has low Steam ratings because of a really botched release version, but as of late 2020 all bugs seem to have been squashed. Although I haven't finished the game yet, after hours of play I did not encounter a single issue with the game at all, not even a minor bug, so it seems all is fine by now.

The atmosphere of the game is superb. It feels quite grim and violent, which fits the pirate theme perfectly. It's more akin to Black Sails TV series than any other pirate game I ever played. Music is very pleasant, from calm ambient sounds and quiet theme to tavern sordid songs sung and played by NPCs, it all fits perfectly. Visuals are just as good, the game is fairly gloomy, nonetheless, there are not only dark jungles or dirty docks, but also beautiful beaches and wealthier town parts which look authentic and pleasant.

The main storyline might not be the most interesting one with its theme of vengeance, but it is properly delivered and side quests can be quite interesting. Moreover, the main character, who is a pirate, acts like one. A deranged man with no morals and you get to play the bad guy, which is rare even in pirate games - which usually while allowing you piracy, have storylines about saving someone or the world or you always act like the nice guy helping others and just receiving payment as a reward, or becoming a merchant. In Vendetta it's the complete opposite. I especially appreciate the complete lack of any political correctness and realistic portrayal of the times. Lots of swearing from pirates, as well as "dirty talk", no "poor and defensless native people" just trying to stay alive against evil colonizers like in Risens. Here they are portrayed in a more authentic way of the brutal world and in their interactions with outsiders. They are depicted as uncivilized and often as immoral as invaders, if not more. Women are clearly presented in the game more to be either wives or prostitutes, no women captains or governors. Piracy is more profitable than trade as well. While this all might sound a little harsh and degrading, it is a realistic depiction of the times and places.

Combat is outstanding. Both land fights and sea battles are enjoyable and challenging. A lot of people in Steam reviews complain about the combat - I suspect these people don't enjoy the challenge. When you fight in melee you need to time your attacks correctly and block properly. Mashing LMB will get you killed quickly. Fights require patience, not throwing yourself at the enemy. When fighting multiple enemies, they will not allow you to duel them in succession, but instead stab you in the back as soon as they can. To win unfair fights you're often going to need some dirty tricks, including kicking, using second weapon that is your hook, or using pistols - and you can carry up to three of them loaded simultaneously. There are skills improving your possibilities in combat, but more important are the player's skills.

Sea battles are also well made, but more similar to other pirate games. You press a button to give command to shoot from left, right or front, and have option to use three different kinds of ammunition. Boarding is also possible, although you don't take a part in it directly, but just give orders. There are different ships to use in the game and each of them can be upgraded so as to make it better in some ways, such as you can sacrifice some space for cargo to load more cannons on the ship. My only complaint is that you can only have one ship. There is no way to hire another captain and create a fleet, which is a shame because I'd really like to make a fleet and besiege a town, but I guess that was beyond developers' time or capabilities.

There are also multiple factions to join, but you don't need to join anyone and are able to remain a lone wolf throughout the game, however, you can get more quests if you join one of them, i.e. the French. In addition, you never have too much money in Raven's Cry, as often is the case in other RPGs. There are always multiple things to spend money on, and ships can be very expensive.

Recapitulating, this is a properly done Role-Playing as well as pirate game with fantastic land and sea combat, marvelous realism and authenticity of the world and decent enough story. All activities in this game give plenty of entertainment, whether it is combat, dialogues, exploration or piracy. There are no weak or poorly made parts of the game, which is extremely rare in pirate games. Bugs seem to have been fixed too. Overall, it's a really great game worth time and money. Unquestionably the best game from Reality Pump. If you enjoy RPGs, then I strongly recommend playing Vendetta as it's an engrossing and gratifying experience.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If not for the bug where my game would crash whenever the ship came in view I might enjoy it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love this game, it has everything and well made.

Beautiful visuals:
72C7A314E0AB87297992F52F9E966DB498B845CE

Interesting exploration:
A16D6F9E9372C487731ECAAC15889B13EF885667

Nice tatoos:
C09EB26A07DF2F1063504067ACA213B83CD4EA11

Fun sea combat:
ECA00739BA7515DA2F743395D4B95AFCB01EADB0

Shooting natives:
68F5FDDC07700FD04E10F3BD9785AB00A39C5C89

Genocide of natives:
9ABFA54115BC1FC8933FCFC2B31091AE57D09C76

Manlets:
BAA5ED25C40EE84BA8D3B76F7C378C73E7C38018

Black st. Mary and Jesus:
E517E177EE3F895906C7C80AD425F9C76B74BF18

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Konjad-san, you bought me on the Black Sails reference. Fucking love that show.

The game is cheap as fuck right now anyway, so it's worth a try.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Is everyone gay and that's why they're (butt)pirates like in Black Sails?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom