Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've been playing something called Plutonium Sandpit by Kristian Aro. Stunning level design, ideas and architectural concepts (who woulda thunk the ancient Doom engine was capable of sandstorms? Bless GZDoom) but sometimes these wad authors are too interesting, innovative and ambitious for their own good. The final bosses brought me to my knees when I couldn't handle an impossible (to me, at least) jumping puzzle required to defeat the last mega-BOSS, which was this huge satanic head in the wall on top of a cliff that kept shooting out the entire bestiary of Doom I & II (along with some custom ones), one right after the other, with two new monsters replacing each one you killed, like the fucking Heads of the Hydra and Cerberus combined, until you could figure out that jumping puzzle (or running puzzle rather... on a series of tiny floating platforms... while avoiding the projectiles of all of Hell's hellspawn below) to gain access to that cliff-top so you could kill it, or him, or them. For all I know, once I got up there, I would have encountered the super-uber-MEGA-BOSS and his minions that I'd have to beat to finish this wad. I'll never know because I never made it that far. What was that I said about taking 5 year breaks in between playing a few Doom wads?

See you guys in a few more years.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Playing Wolfenstein Blade of Agony chapter 2. Unfortunately my computer has difficulty with the effects of the intro and the outdoor sections.
I would have thought that a relative modern computer would have no problems with a game engine that is an expanded version of the Doom 1/Doom 2 one.

Design wise it continues the level of quality of the first chapter. I am more interested in continuing this than playing Wolfenstein the New Colossus.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Playing Wolfenstein Blade of Agony chapter 2. Unfortunately my computer has difficulty with the effects of the intro and the outdoor sections.
I would have thought that a relative modern computer would have no problems with a game engine that is an expanded version of the Doom 1/Doom 2 one.
Which sourceport do u use?

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Which sourceport do u use?

Well there is this standalone that includes everything that is needed to run the game rather than that I have downloaded the latest development version of gzdoom.
Could that be the problem?

Oh, I have been reducing the effects and the distance on which background objects show up but sometimes the speed slows down to a crawl in outdoor sections.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing the Hellbound megawad: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/59814-hellbound-updated/

It has some great looking maps, with very nice atmosphere. Especially the city themed ones are really cool. The enemy placement in some maps could be better though.

90OWxPG.jpg

l67yVFw.jpg

776GXP4.jpg

mramZ7Y.jpg

WIDIy58.jpg

v20Z3NM.jpg

WpQSYmk.jpg

U4r7xaW.jpg

ytrrOXW.jpg

IYAFake.jpg

94n3lnv.jpg

X95WQXu.jpg

XK7Xyz1.jpg

EsDZCkn.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I currently started 3 Hours Of Agony 3. It's the last part of the trilogy made by french Doom community. Maps are good for single player, they are compact, have many deadly traps but the monsters ratio is really good and the challenge is on a good level, I've completed 15 maps in one sitting and if you didn't tried it yet, I would recommend to start from the first part.

Part I
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/3hafinal

Part II
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/3ha2

Part III
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/3ha3

Here are some screenshots:

screenshot_doom_201702suea.png

screenshot_doom_2017039u0q.png

screenshot_doom_20170qdudi.png

screenshot_doom_20170oquka.png

screenshot_doom_20170fwulz.png

Sjukob

Arcane
Just finished Good Morning Phobos it's hella good . Don't think I've enjoyed a wad this much ever since I played the first Scythe . It has everything that a great wad supposed to have : excellent level design , smart monster placement and some really good music , maps look nice although visuals are mostly basic . It's not too difficult , but from map 15 and onward it might get heavy on enemies , but after a hard level there usually comes one that's easier , so it doesn't become tiresome to play , good move by author , still the game doesn't turn into slaughter until very end .

The wad is split in 2 parts , at the beggining you travel through various bases and wilderness , but later you start to notice increased demonic/hellish presence until you descent into the hell itself and such change of scenarios is really well captured . I've enjoyed maps 6 and 25 the most as I've found them to have the best gameplay and music out of all .

Unfortunately I was too excited to play and almost forgot about screenshots , only took pictures of hell , here they are .
s4bkpjK.jpg

5nNvuog.jpg

9WSepPW.jpg

oDCgQxP.jpg

embAJkk.jpg

Thanks Astral Rag and Ninja Destroyer for heads up .

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Crispy Doom version has been updated to 4.2.

The point of this release is mostly to polish some existing features. Exit messages have been changed to avoid references to DOS, which I’m not too fond of but that’s hardly a deal-breaker. Interestingly, this would be the latest version based on SDL1, which makes me think the official SDL2 release of Chocolate Doom should be “close”.

Edit: it actually got updated to 4.3 yesterday (19th of September) in order to implement some very minor fixes.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Good Morning Fobos is night, but it uses lol-here-is-room-full-of-revenants/archvilles-opening-behind-you too much.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
doom wads:

HELLBOUND
So, I finally finished this megawad, it took me 35h or something (!!). Most of the maps took 1h or more to finish. Fucking huge maps, gorgeous maps. Some maps had shitty gameplay some maps had good some maps had great. Even if some of the maps were mediocre and frustrating in terms of gameplay, all and all this wad deserves a big thumbs up for the overall quality.

Hellcore 2.0
Great looking maps in this megawad, with a semi-realistic theme. Very atmospheric. Gameplay quality can vary though, sometimes it's good, but sometimes very easy and sometimes frustrating and unfair.

Hellfire Dreams & Hellfire 2
Big and complex city maps, good looking maps but the themes are overall repetitive. Mostly good gameplay but also traps that can get annoying. Both wads are alike. I also tried Hellfire reborn but I found it pretty boring, maybe because I was fed up with the theme.

Invasion Level 1 & 2.
Two huge maps with non-linear gameplay. The game takes place inside a big spaceship and the style is done well. Very complex maps with a lot of verticality, but even if they seem like a maze sometimes, I somehow didn't get lost in either of them, so kudos to the author for that.

As you can see I'm still moving through my wad collection alphabetically :D

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
So I'm creating a short WAD and I'm wondering what kind of music to put into, I mean format-wise, I read that mp3 would make the wad too big, the original DOOM had music in .mus format which was basicly a sort of MIDI format, the thing I don't understand is as far as I know MIDI is just a protocol to send information to a synth, no? Is there a synth engine inside Doom that played those files or something? what am I missing?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't think you should really worry about the wad size, especially since you say it's a small wad. That said, there are huge libraries of midi music to use.

IIRC before the appearance of GB space and mp3s, Amiga had a great format with .mod files that could use much more channels than midi and sounded great with still a very small size.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I have finally produced some mods worth showing off. It should be said much (not all) of what you see is resources from other games/mods, but getting it all to work together is like black magick and triggers my pleasure center. Currently I am revamping TrumpDoom/MoonMan, compiling a massive map pack that works with all of my mods, and putting together a little Twin Peaks style horror partial conversion.

Also - DOES NOT USE OR REQUIRE BRUTAL DOOM. ;)
VHBORnz.png

aqg78Pu.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Speaking of Brutal Doom, the author posted this image:

DNJ5Z7nW4AEJxuC.jpg

Also the latest version of Brutal Doom is coming along nicely, expect a release by the end of the year at the very latest.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Crispy Doom 5.0 has been released. This is the first Crispy Doom release based on the SDL2 branch, which brings a host of improvements—the most noticeable being the new video display which now stretches nicely in fullscreen. Interestingly enough, Chocolate Doom based on SDL2 hasn’t been released yet, though it shouldn’t be too long now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom