Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Runic Games shut down (Torchlight devs)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ All of that. Runic was started by Max and Eric Schaefer and Travis Baldree. People who were behind stuff like Diablo 2 and Fate. TL1 and TL2 were great. Then for some reason they got in bed with the Chinese. The Chinese wanted to push some shitty mobile MMO with Torchlight. Max, Eric, and Travis left to make their own studios. HOB is utter shit designed by C-list developers.

To add: Eric and Travis founded Double Damage games and made Rebel Galaxy -- a budget Freelancer type space sim on a 2D plane. Their current project is a spiritual sequel that is closer to Wing Commander Privateer (cockpit view, etc.). This should be announced in about a year.

Max and some other people founded Echtra Studios but have yet to release anything (although they're apparently working on an arpg).

This is the shit that Torchlight has become:

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Why were they bought by china? Did they just want more money for their next project so they made a deal with china but china screwed them?

Latelistener

Arcane
PW bought the majority stake, so it was not their decision.
Still, PW allowed them to make Torchlight II and Hob. Was Torchlight Mobile really the reason why the founders left?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PW bought the majority stake, so it was not their decision.
Still, PW allowed them to make Torchlight II and Hob. Was Torchlight Mobile really the reason why the founders left?
I doubt we will ever know with certainty but I'd say it's probably a huge factor. IMO, if you assume HOB was in the works for a few years then Blizzard North/Fate guys probably left because they wanted nothing to do with that, either. Shortly after the release of Torchlight 2 there was an interview with Max Schafer about what he wanted to do next and he mentioned an arpg/minecraft type of hybrid game. It's pretty obvious that's not what HOB was or ever planned on being. I'm sure Max and the other driving forces behind TL1 and TL2 realized they didn't need the others and didn't feel like being under the thumb of some shitty Chinese mobile game publisher.

Travis Baldree release a long series of tweets today on the closing of Runic: https://twitter.com/TwinStickGames

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Snippet from a small article when Max left Runic:

Ex-Runic Studios developer Max Schaefer, ex-Blizzard developers Tyler Thompson (Project Lead on Diablo: Lord of Destruction) and David Glenn (Art Director on Diablo 1 and 2 and art for Hellgate: London) have formed a new studio called Echtra Inc.

So, people who know how to make a good ARPG.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Most of Gigantic devs were let go as well, deservedly so. Honestly, whos bright idea was it to make yet another fucking moba in an already oversaturated market?
And fuck everyone who praised that game for its art style, its an incomprehensible mess. Just like Guild Wars 2 it looks gorgeous as concept art, stunning in screenshots, but when those particle effects start flying its an indiscernible vomit of color.

Also Hob was terrible. Who wanted yet another 2.5 D indie puzzle-platformer in the first place? I say we start a petition to put a mandatory hiatus on the entire genre. About a decade or so should be enough time to burn through the stockpile of the damned things and create actual demand again.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Travis Baldree release a long series of tweets today on the closing of Runic: https://twitter.com/TwinStickGames
Rebel Galaxy was in the works before Hob, so I guess it could be a reason why Travis left.
The thing I don't understand is why a president left the company, when he was suppose to be calling the shots.
It just doesn't look like PW actually gave a shit about what's going on at Runic.
If they were really involved, they would have made them make a F2P MMO instead of Rebel Galaxy, not a puzzle game like Hob.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't think you realize how companies being bought by corporate, faceless giants work. What happened to Runic is exactly what happened to Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, etc. etc. etc.
I'm interested who thought Hob was a good idea. Good enough to screw Travil Baldree, which was like a one-man-band for Runic.
Because Hob doesn't look like a game a "corporate, faceless giant" would want them to develop.

I don't think you realize how companies being bought by corporate, faceless giants work. What happened to Runic is exactly what happened to Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, etc. etc. etc.
I'm interested who thought Hob was a good idea. Good enough to screw Travil Baldree, which was like a one-man-band for Runic.
Because Hob doesn't look like a game a "corporate, faceless giant" would want them to develop.
HOB was probably something that had been in development for awhile (possibly before the buyout) and something the owners felt that whoever was left in the company could deliver reasonably quickly and for minimum investment.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn. I remember playing Hellgate and one of those guys gave me and my friend alpha keys to Mythos. The possibilities seemed endless back then...

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious what the hell happened there. Torchlight II was a big success, and then it all just fell apart with no apparent reason.
Apparentely a bunch of key people left, though I donno why.

The were bought by a Chinese publisher. It didn't pan out.
0.gif

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Damn. I remember playing Hellgate and one of those guys gave me and my friend alpha keys to Mythos. The possibilities seemed endless back then...

Hellgate was Flagship Studios.

No shit. Where do you think the guys from Runic came from?

Not from the makers of Hellgate:London, which was developed by Flagship Studios San Francisco.

They came from the makers of Mythos, which was developed by Flagship Studios Seattle.

Out of 18 people on the Runic team, only 2 migrated from the San Francisco branch - Max and Erich Schaefer. Key personnel like Bill Roper and David Brevik, as well as the rest of SF branch, did not.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what's your point? I was at a hub in HG:L, and one of the Mythos devs was there giving out alpha keys. The 2 games used the same engine, and Mythos was originally made to test stuff for HG:L.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom