Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition coming on November 15th, will include free Deadfire Pack DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

After the release of Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition on consoles two months ago, it might not be surprising that Obsidian's RPG is set to receive a similar package on its home platform, entitled Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition. What makes this release definitive and not merely complete is that in addition to the White March expansion, it will also include a new Gun Runners' Arsenal-style DLC called the Deadfire Pack. The DLC will add portraits from the upcoming sequel to the game as well as an assortment of new items, and will be free for existing owners of Pillars of Eternity. Here's the press release for the Definitive Edition, which is coming on November 15th.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden and IRVINE, Calif. — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games for characters of all builds, and Obsidian Entertainment, veteran developers behind Fallout: New Vegas and South Park: The Stick of Truth, today announced a new edition of Pillars of Eternity which provides the definitive experience and tremendous value to RPG fans everywhere.

The award-winning title is now available as Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition, a comprehensive version of Obsidian’s crowdfunded masterpiece that includes both White March expansions, all premium extras, and an all-new bundle of content, called the “Deadfire Pack,” inspired by Obsidian’s upcoming Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Definitive Edition will be available for PC, Mac, and Linux on November 15, 2017. The new Deadfire Pack DLC will also be made available for free to all existing (and future) owners of Pillars of Eternity on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs to thank them for their ongoing support of what has become one of the world’s most beloved RPGs. With these additions, fans will have the complete set of all Pillars of Eternity content ever created inside and outside of the game in the final, all-encompassing release.

On November 15, the Definitive Edition will be made available via digital distributors everywhere for a suggested retail price of $39.99, and will include:
  • The original Pillars of Eternity, a modern RPG with classic inspiration, and winner of multiple awards for its rich story, art, and world design
  • The complete, expanded world, characters, and content from The White March: Parts I & II, which adds new places to travel and quests to complete
  • All premium content originally sold with Pillars of Eternity: Royal Edition, including the original soundtrack, a digital collector's book, an original novella set in the Pillars universe, and much, much more
  • The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018
Alongside the release of the Definitive Edition, the original Pillars of Eternity: Hero Edition game will receive a suggested retail price reduction to $29.99 on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs.

Pillars of Eternity, originally the result of a crowdfunding campaign by over 75,000 backers, has led a resurgence in the classic RPG genre since its release in 2015. Winner of “Best RPG” from multiple critics, the game is now available for both PC and console platforms from retailers worldwide. A sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, is currently in development by Obsidian Entertainment.

For more information, visit www.paradoxplaza.com.​

Good excuse to replay the game and prepare a save import for Deadfire, eh? I wonder if Josh will put together one last balance patch for this release.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I have to say that I have no idea what prompted this to be honest.

eXalted

Arcane
so is this game good or what

i cant make sense through all the butthurt
Yes, it is.

C'mon codexer bros...
come-at-me-bro_o_1894137.jpg

Sacibengala

Prophet
There is any difference gamewise from this version and the other one everyone has on pc, the base game plus whitemarch dlcs?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There is any difference gamewise from this version and the other one everyone has on pc, the base game plus whitemarch dlcs?

Only this apparently :
The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel

rohand

Cipher
Does this mean that the usual GOTY transformation will happen (i.e. those that have the game plus expansions gets this version) or that simply having the vanilla game warrants the new package? In other words, people who bought WM threw money away? :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
How many reviews and retrospectives this will have?

We can't let the meme die, guise.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
so is this game good or what

i cant make sense through all the butthurt

Difficult to explain. In some ways it feels like a soulless re-imagining of Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine games and in other ways like an elevation of the material. The 3.0 + White March edition at least makes the "reimagined" part more robust.

One element I enjoyed is that Eora (the fictional setting of the game) is probably very similar to Ed Greenwood's personalized tabletop version of the Forgotten Realms (darker, heightened realism, etc).

For example, I think Ed Greenwood's version, Drow are evil in the sense they are a cruel and secretive society with an alien and barbaric religion, but this is shaped more by the harsh circumstances of the Underdark (being surrounded by Illithids, Beholders, etc) than cultural commitment to being evil. History is mysterious and it isn't obvious whether conflicts between the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine are literal or just echoes of lost historical truth. Ergo, the ancient Drow may be less evil and more screwed over by history by being the losing side in a morally complicated war.

Going in that direction, differences between civilizations tend to be more cultural and less obviously moral. Civilizations like Neverwinter are more obviously lawful and less obviously good (with variable proportions of Lawful Good and Lawful Evil characters abiding in mostly Lawful Neutral society), basically representing the competing interests of any society. Luskan is less obviously evil and more obvious anarchic, representing both the good and bad aspects of heightened freedom in a post-feudal society. Like with real nation states, wars between Neverwinter and Luskan tend to be less about good vs evil and more about order, conformism, and traditionalism (Austro-Hungarian Empire) vs. chaos, independence, and self reliance (the confederate behavior of Anglo countries).

The overall narrative is also less congested with amazing events and people. I'm not sure the Time of Troubles or Spellplague ever happened in Ed Greenwood's game.

You can see how this pertains to cultural conflicts between the Dyrwood (an ex colony with its own expansionist ambitions) and the Glanfathan (an anarchic primitive society). The dispute is far more rooted in different approaches to life than commitment to being good or evil.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom