Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I will buy it ,if i am able to play as Slav killing German barbarians. Bringing culture and baths to the "Imperial" lands.

I think having the opportunity to play as a Magyar killing both would be better, but unfortunately that will never happen.
I will settle for Magyar if possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/27/kingdom-come-deliverance-skill-trees/

I love Kingdom Come: Deliverance’s skill trees
Adam Smith on October 27th, 2017 at 9:00 pm.

kingdomcome1-620x308.jpg

The enormous open world is attractive and enticing, but it’s Kingdom Come: Deliverance’s skill trees that made me a believer in this historical RPG. Rather than providing mild improvements to sword-handling or stamina, the things you learn are traits that change the way your character interacts with the world and the people in it. It all suggests I’ll be creating a person with knowledge and foibles as I play rather than tweaking a sheet of stats.

I played a single mission, which gave me some freedom in the way I approached objectives but also involved following instructions, and sticking to the sort of processes that I’ve become accustomed to over years of playing RPGs. Bandits have slaughtered horses and people at a stable, and as part of a group investigating the crime you end up as a sort of medieval detective, picking through the remains, questioning witnesses, and following trails of blood and ruin.

The twist, aside from the fact that this is very much a grounded historical setting rather than a game of dragons and trolls, relates to the information you’re given to guide you toward a solution. There’s no equivalent of a Witcher sense so when a stablehand tells me that he saw the perpetrators leaving the scene in a particular direction, I head off down the path he pointed at and look for signs of their passing. Rather than following a glowing red trail, I’m looking for damage to fences and gates that might have been caused by people making a quick getaway in the dark.

kingdomcome6-620x321.jpg

At any point, I’m free to leave all of this behind, to cut ties with my NPC colleagues and set off to make my own fortune. They’d be miffed and missions will resolve in the player’s absence – it’s even possible to get left behind at the beginning of this particular job if you don’t saddle up quickly enough. Dilly-dally and the people you’re working with will get on with their work and their lives whether you’re ready or not.

Given how limited my playtime was, I can’t say how well the world would react if I decided to gallop toward the nearest forest and lose myself between the trees. The great risk in any open world game, whether RPG or otherwise, is that given the possibility of doing anything and going anywhere, players will quickly realise that wherever they go they’re going to be stabbing people or collecting craftables in the vicinity of various types of scenery.

“I created this one amazing character who found a load of berries by a river.”

“That’s nothing. My guy found so many twigs on a hill you wouldn’t believe it.”

“It’s like we both played different games!”

kingdomcome4-620x338.jpg

Once I was done with the horse-killers (I tracked a couple down and killed them; one was already bleeding out and I stabbed him where he sat, slumped against a tree, and didn’t feel great about it) I spent some time riding my horse around fields and forests. Kingdom Come is beautiful in a very understated fashion. Trees are thick in forests, in a way that you don’t often see in simulated spaces, and weather effects change the quality of light across huge open areas in a way that is quietly spectacular. It’s gorgeous in a way that reminds me of rambling at dusk in a light drizzle, which is a far cry from the fantastical sights I expect from RPGs.

Sometimes a game’s world makes me wish I could step into the screen and see it first-hand. Kingdom Come gave me an altogether different sensation; these are places that feel just about familiar enough that I might well have experienced something similar first-hand already. It’s the thrill of recognition mixed with the different country that is the past.

Put all of that to one side for now though because I want to talk about the character-building rather than the world. There’s an entire branch of skills dedicated to drinking. You can see a sample of it below.

kingdomcome3-620x318.jpg

Other choices lock you into a wine-tasting life, giving you a higher tolerance to grapes than hops, or give you an uncanny ability to find your way back home even when you drink to the point of senselessness . At a certain point of inebriation you’ll pass out but will always wake up in a safe place. It’s the 15th century equivalent of a beer scooter.

Then there are literacy skills, which go beyond letting you read and can extend to knowledge of certain types of literature. Learn about sacred art and visiting a church or monastery allows you to contemplate paintings and architectural qualities, giving you a sense of wellbeing that (I think) allows you to recuperate faster when resting. I say I think because clicking through the skill menus was like vanishing down a rabbit hole – there were so many paths in the warren that I can’t remember precisely what I saw while I was losing myself in it all.

kingdomcome2-620x321.jpg

Even combat skills, which could be the most tediously traditional of the lot, provide new apparently historically accurate martial arts relating to various weapons rather than just giving you “+1 to waving a sword about”. And you can build a better relationship with your horse and wear all kinds of patchwork armour combinations, and people will react not only to your weapon being sheathed or unsheathed, but to the blood splattered on it, and on your clothes. They’ll even react to visible damage on your garments, perhaps seeing you as not all that classy, but definitely a little bit scary if your armour’s dented and battered.

I have no idea how all of that will work out in that massive open world, but as someone who spends almost as much time creating and tweaking characters as actually roleplaying with those characters, I can already see myself spending hours in among all of those skillsets and inventories. I’m hoping, and planning, to see much more of the game soon and that should give me more of an idea as to how the character and the world will relate to one another.

kingdomcome5-620x326.jpg

For now, I’m dreaming about saddling up my horse, whispering happy thoughts to it as we head toward the horizon and whatever inns are along the route, and then riding my beer scooter back home when the day is done.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
the things you learn are traits that change the way your character interacts with the world and the people in it

This reminds me of what D:OS2 was promising, but failed to deliver.

sparq_beam

Meelee combat looks really cool. Not a fan of how the arrow has a "smoke trail", though. I hate it when devs do that. Company of heroes had the same for gun/tank shots and it looked terrible. M&B and Thief don't have this and you can tell just fine where arrows go.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Meelee combat looks really cool. Not a fan of how the arrow has a "smoke trail", though. I hate it when devs do that. Company of heroes had the same for gun/tank shots and it looked terrible. M&B and Thief don't have this and you can tell just fine where arrows go.

I think it's harder to get a decent view of things here than in M&B, from what I've seen in both games.

frajaq

Erudite
After enjoying my time with ELEX and getting used to a EUROJANK game like that, I'm excited for this one after watching their videos

SlamDunk

Arcane
Limited Collector’s Edition and Special Edition announced | Deep Silver

Deep Silver said:
Warhorse Studios and Deep Silver today revealed the Limited Collector’s and Special Edition for the upcoming RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance which will launch on February 13th 2018 for PlayStation®4, PC and Xbox One the all in one entertainment system from Microsoft.

The Special Edition will offer the digital in-game content “Treasures of the Past”, unlocking new treasure maps and in-game armour for Henry.

The Limited Collector’s Edition will come with the Special Edition of the game and additional exclusive content:
  • The official Kingdom Come: Deliverance SteelBook®
  • 30x30cm cloth map of medieval Bohemia from the Kingdom Come: Deliverance landscape
  • 15cm tall Polyresin Figurine of Henry, painted in silver and with an antique finish
  • Selection of the official Kingdom Come: Deliverance soundtrack on Audio CD
  • 32 page hardcover artbook
Priced at 79,99 € for consoles and 69,99 € for PC the Limited Collector’s Edition will be available at selected retailers in selected territories.

DNpy_tAVQAAO25m.jpg:orig

Paul_cz

Arcane
Old and also some new gameplay footage from Paris Games Week.

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/187032035

Characters looking as stiff as ever. 3 months from launch, I am starting to doubt it is going to improve in any meaningful way. So, memes here we go I guess.

It is bizzare though, the game has such level of detail, but something as basic as character interaction looks worse than in Elex.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the "the only time to get a boxed edition is now" was a lie. Funny also that this version has even better stuff than the one I have pre-ordered. Fucking hell...

Paul_cz

Arcane
So the "the only time to get a boxed edition is now" was a lie. Funny also that this version has even better stuff than the one I have pre-ordered. Fucking hell...
You should contact them to clear up any misconception. It is a bit messy now with all the different KS editions and this one.
I had kickstarted for:
  • Exclusive Digipak including
    • Physical copy of the game
    • "Making of" movie
    • Thrilling soundtrack full of epic music
  • Printed art book with beautiful drawings
  • Dice set to play the historic games
  • Unique commemorative coin made from silver
  • Beautiful detailed action figure of a Knight
  • High quality T-shirt with game motif
  • Astonishing printed poster with game motifs
And I don't know if what I will get is better or worse than this CE.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't kickstart. I bought the game last year in December, when they said this was the only chance of getting a boxed version. I know there was some better versions with more stuff to buy then, but it looks like this limited edition thing has basically the same price I payed, but with even more stuff.

The one I have is PC Collectors Edition.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I didn't kickstart. I bought the game last year in December, when they said this was the only chance of getting a boxed version. I know there was some better versions with more stuff to buy then, but it looks like this limited edition thing has basically the same price I payed, but with even more stuff.

Then you really should contact them and clear it up. If you paid the same price you should get this edition.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Then you really should contact them and clear it up. If you paid the same price you should get this edition.

Think there might be a 5 euro difference or something, can't remember but it was fairly expensive. Not that it matters according to the latest Tweets. Feels nice to get shafted again though hehe.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
And this is what my Collector's Edition comes with:

Collector's Edition (PC)
  • AVAILABLE FOR BACKERS ONLY
  • Exclusive Digipak including
    • Physical copy of the game
    • "Making of" movie
    • Thrilling soundtrack full of epic music
  • Astonishing printed poster with game motif

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Those smallish postcard sized artbooks are mostly useless. I prefer bigger ones which have room for text.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Warhorse Studios has been tweeting some very nice concept art with informative descriptions in many of them.

Well the Iron Age could arguably continue right up until today (though there is a case for a "Steel Age" and an "Aluminium Age"), so it's not like that's unusual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom