Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
lStmQ4W.png

Any RPG where you can ride giant turtles is a good RPG. +M

mondblut

Arcane
I think it's retarded to not understand what am I getting at. Grimoire is a game by a Codexer for the Codexers.

There was no Codex back in 1997. In 2002, when the windows version was first tested, Codex was an obscure club of Fallout fanboys. In 2005 the beta-testing crew mostly consisted of RPGWatchers, while Codex published articles like "boycott this literally nazi gaem, proceeds go to stormfront" and sicced a mob of spammers at Grimoire forum.

That the Codex has over the years attracted a small cadre of oldschool RPG fans does not make the vast majority of it any less of popamole newfags who secretly love Oblivion and Fallout 3.

But Grimoire was hyped for decades, and we are looking at... zero discussion.

Those who partook of hyping have played it, discussed it, finished it and moved on.

Efe

Erudite
You are right in that I am essentially having a go a Calvin though (and his band of genuflucting fellating followers), because they won't admit the truth. I mean, by all means play the game and like it, hey, I played it and liked it, (FOR A WHILE), but FFS, don't come out and pretend that just because you like it, it is a good game. It isn't a good game, it is an embarrassing mess, a demonstration of how mind numbingly incompetent its 'author' is. That doesn't me a small person, it makes me a realist.
a realist would walk away. i know you would feel vindicated gloating over his game's shortcomings especially after the shit he wrote about you, giving out personal information etc but it gets old.
what else do you play these days?

Biggus

Scholar
I did walk away?

See, this isn't about Calvin, he is a joke and always has been, everyone who has followed this saga for long enough knows that, this is about otherwise sensible people making outlandish statements about how this is a good game. It isn't, accept it. Liking a game is one thing, but trying to defend this abomination is another. It isn't about vindication at all.

I'll admit that I take some pleasure in seeing it fail, but what the fanboys don't get is that I'd much rather see it not fail. Clive brought this on himself, and I have said before if he kept his flapper shut, we wouldn't be at page 235 of a discussion on a game that has seen its day. If he was silent, you pay, play, say meh, and move on, but no, Clive says "I will sell 360,000 copies!" and "this is the best game ever written" and "those pirates broke the save games" and "I will bring down the DRM hammer" and "I will update every day in November" (he is 4 updates behind already) all while banning people left and right for nothing more that telling the truth, all the time with his merry band of fanboys following on and defending his every move. He is reaping what he sewed. He has learned nothing, blathering on about v2 and new this and update that, when we all know that little or nothing will change, and that what does will be broken and cause more problems than it fixes. Cleve is his own worst enemy.

I might live to regret this, but at the moment I am playing Elminage Gothic. I won't be defending or praising or comparing it. Whether I continue to play it is unknown. At this time, I am still having fun. It is umm, an acquired taste I think. :) You asked, there's yer answer :) I have a post in that thread actually, asking for the modded dds file with the white walls. Anyone?

Calvin gave out no personal information of mine, not sure where you got that from. Well, at least none that I am aware of?

Love that MM avatar :)

treborSux

Arcane
So you're sucking Cleve's balls more than anyone here. What are you actually doing here still talking about Grimoire?

At least just admit you're a faggot before you wind up another post about how Cleve totally doesn't bother you because you have thick skin.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
T'is a shame.

Normally this would be 100% up my alley but the Steam reviews are brutal.

Every now and again my eyes drift towards it and it takes all my discipline to stop myself from buying it.

Reading between the lines, I suspect Felipe's review was kinder than it ought to have been.

In the end I have moved towards a serious play through of Shadow Run Hong Kong and a bit of Tyranny, having only played them for a short while before.

Some light at the end of the tunnel. Guides and walk throughs have appeared on Steam so maybe I will get to enjoy this Best RPG ever in a few years time.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Be careful, the forces of decline have regrouped after their rout and are coming after our very best.

DNtu9TiW0AAzMwq.jpg:large

Efe

Erudite
ahh gothic. i'm not that deep into blobbers but dungeons (at least the first 3 i managed to explore) in that game really get you lost.
im not that good with memory and it was getting annoying filling what little slots i had with magic maps tho. i hope i can finsh it one day

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dear Codexers, would you kindly take a ten seconds of your time to answer in this poll.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-little-poll-about-wiz7-and-grimoire.118953/

Normally this would be 100% up my alley but the Steam reviews are brutal.
Most of these Steam reviewers don't even know what they don't know.
Top negative reviews are full of factual inaccuracies (like it was with felipepe's reviews until he partially fixed it) and outright lies.

E.g.
For starters, the interface is clunky, unintuitive, a8nd poorly designed. Let's say you're in battle and want to cast a spell. For one character to do so, you must click one button four times, click the spell button once, and then select the spell. Oh, you want to move back to a physical attack? Click another button four 8times, then click attack.
Just press right mouse button, dude. I found it after 15 minutes of playing.

Try Superdemo, it was free.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Compared to Wizardry, Grimoire actually saves you *lots* of clicking in combat, because it remembers your previous choices.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Dungeons to explore. Yes, the dungeon design and puzzles therein are excellent as far as I went. The execution is a little clumsy, but the design and feel of them is damn good. I don't think too many would argue with that point. However, a dungeon does not a good blobber make. :(

Paging aweigh
Clean-up in aisle 6

Biggus

Scholar
ahh gothic. i'm not that deep into blobbers but dungeons (at least the first 3 i managed to explore) in that game really get you lost.
im not that good with memory and it was getting annoying filling what little slots i had with magic maps tho. i hope i can finsh it one day

mercyRPG (on Codex) posted a file called ITEM.csv which when placed in the root dir of the game, gives the maps an unlimited charge.
There is also a file that replaces one of the bra files, that takes away one of the annoying noises.
Finally, there is a modded dds file that changes the useless '50 shades of brown' map display, to one that is far more readable.

With these small changes, and getting used to the keyboard nature of the thing, it becomes far more playable. Yell if you want these files.

hal900x

Augur
So, no manual eh? Seems the various guides and faqs are pretty shallow. Forgive me for not wading through hundreds of pages of posts as I ask mechanics questions. What are the useless/unimplemented skills? Memories of Star Trail spring to mind, don't want to spend several days building a party and end up wasting all that time and effort. Mythology? Ancient Lore? etc?

Also, which caster skills correspond to which caster classes? Like, do I need Invocation to cast Wizard spells? Incantation? Arcane?

Fucking Cleve.

mondblut

Arcane
What are the useless/unimplemented skills? Memories of Star Trail spring to mind, don't want to spend several days building a party and end up wasting all that time and effort. Mythology? Ancient Lore? etc?

Mythology identifies monsters. Not terribly critical to invest, but that second tab of skills is p.useless (after lethal blow and music are maxed) anyway, so someone might invest in it.

Ancient lore is used in a couple of puzzles which require high skill to decipher. Can get through without it if you ask around the forums nicely.

Crafting skills (metallurgy, mephistics...) can be safely ignored.

Also, which caster skills correspond to which caster classes? Like, do I need Invocation to cast Wizard spells? Incantation? Arcane?

That skill is specifically highlighted in pink, dummy.

Invocation is use of magic items (except for music instruments). Incantation is use of scrolls. Arcanum is casting spells from the locked arcanum and eldritch tab (goes up when you try to scribe a spellbook from them even if you fail, so no need to invest). Everyone else uses either sorcery, alchemy or litany depending on their current class, and it is highlighted.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Lady Error said:

The Wiki alone unfortunately isn't enough.

Here's an example from a steam review:

Lets take Strength for example.

The wiki states:
Controls a characters ability to penetrate armor with a weapon, force doors, lift gates and perform other muscular feats.

Well no ♥♥♥♥ sherlock, you don’t need a wiki to know that :D

What I want to know is:
  • Does strength affect every class the same way?
    I don't think so, cause that would mean a thief's and warrior's build are the same (as in a thief also needing to build stength to penetrate and actually deal damage)

• Does strength affect every race the same?

• Does strength increase the damage you inflict?

• If it does affect damage, is this the case for all weapons and classes?
    Is strength for example a primary stat for a ranger, who uses a bow?

• If it does affect damage, is this bonus damage different for the different attacks (bash, swing, stab,...)?
    I suspect it is. Why else would there be different attacks possible with the same weapon?

• It looks like it doesn’t affect the to-hit chance, is this true for all classes?
    In a lot of games warrior classes take strength as the to-hit stat. If it doesn't, then that would again mean a thief and a warrior have the same build (as in a warrior also needing to build dexterity to actually be able to hit somebody.)

• So it helps penetration. Is this penetration different for the different attacks?
    Again I suspect it is.

• It says: "It helps penetration with a weapon." So does an unarmed strike count as a weapon?
    Cause unarmed strike is a weaponskill in the game.
These are just some of the questions you get when playing the game and this is just one of the 12 attributes, there are still the 44 skills and I'm not even talking about the hidden differences between the races, like mana, stamina regeneration, etc

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994863890/recommended/650670/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994863890/recommended/650670/
I still want to play this game someday, but not in this state.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
FFS, read the Wizardry 7 manual and then show me where any of those questions were answered. People figured out most of it by playing the game and later some autists found the actual numbers in the code and wrote it down.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Calvin doesn't even know...He created a new hidden profile, Level 0 Steam alt just the other day asking the "community" to create a manual.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom