Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Just hit level 100 on Ultimate HC - last 10 levels went super fast, thanks bros for mentioning that you can buy xp pots... :salute:

deama

Prophet
So what's the review on the expansion itself? Is the story any decent? Are the environments good?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I can't really figure out an interesting build. I tried a forcewave build, that was kinda fun but got boring fast, then I tried a pistol dual wielding inquisitor with demolisionished (focus on crit) that one was fun, but I kept dying a lot. I then tried an essence drain build, but that got boring fast. I mostly enjoyed the 2-handed rifle build where I picked demolisionised and occultist, but I've played too much of that one. I also tried a laser beam build with arcanist, but everytime I try it, it just kills me inside. So any ideas for interesting builds? I don't particularly like pet/summoning builds though.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
I don't see when an Inquisitor becomes easy because the game is designed around groups mobbing the character. Inquisitor Seal is the safest course of action but cannot be used exclusively without additional tactics to avoid some challenges. My basic advice is to include five points on each of the weapon pool skills and acquire at least two items with 10% chance to activate, typically lightning for its scatter effect

you could try a spellcasting Shaman, using their area of control abilities and spells with modest support from the Briathorn (early game at least) but as always depends on what you would be inclined to play

Zakhad

Savant
I played inquisitor (purifier, with demolitionist) through a good chunk of veteran/elite (up to necropolis in elite) before getting bored and trying a spellbinder.

Inquisitor isn't that powerful and I'm sure a more aspergic player could have built something better, but once I got to a high enough level and sorted out my gear/devotion I found myself roflstomping most bosses. And it was never that hard, just not the kind of build you'd play on hardcore unless you hate life and happiness and want to punish yourself.

Main issue now is that there are so many procs that half the time it looks like a disco inferno around my character from three different devotion powers and a bunch of gear-abilities all procing at once.

With inquisitor, I like that you aren't forced to choose a dual-wield relic to use two pistols, which gives you more freedom in that area, and word of renewal is solid, plus the fire proc skill is nice.

I think a purifier can be an interesting build; you're relying on massive fire-strike damage with bonuses from inquisitor skills, but you have flashbang (with eldritch fire for added debuff) and thermite mines to throw down (they reduce fire resistence pretty well even on one point), so a surprising number of enemies end up confused and you can weaken them/reduce their resistance, plus word of renewal is nice to keep up 24/7 if you can risk potentially being without the heal at a bad moment, since it has loads of other buffs, so it's a fairly active build (I also have meteor from whatever relic that is but I dunno if it's really giving me much). But I dunno how it'd cope on ultimate, and it's certainly not invincible or anything, there are certainly more powerful builds. But wasn't that weak either.

deama

Prophet
I played inquisitor (purifier, with demolitionist) through a good chunk of veteran/elite (up to necropolis in elite) before getting bored and trying a spellbinder.

Inquisitor isn't that powerful and I'm sure a more aspergic player could have built something better, but once I got to a high enough level and sorted out my gear/devotion I found myself roflstomping most bosses. And it was never that hard, just not the kind of build you'd play on hardcore unless you hate life and happiness and want to punish yourself.

Main issue now is that there are so many procs that half the time it looks like a disco inferno around my character from three different devotion powers and a bunch of gear-abilities all procing at once.

With inquisitor, I like that you aren't forced to choose a dual-wield relic to use two pistols, which gives you more freedom in that area, and word of renewal is solid, plus the fire proc skill is nice.

I think a purifier can be an interesting build; you're relying on massive fire-strike damage with bonuses from inquisitor skills, but you have flashbang (with eldritch fire for added debuff) and thermite mines to throw down (they reduce fire resistence pretty well even on one point), so a surprising number of enemies end up confused and you can weaken them/reduce their resistance, plus word of renewal is nice to keep up 24/7 if you can risk potentially being without the heal at a bad moment, since it has loads of other buffs, so it's a fairly active build (I also have meteor from whatever relic that is but I dunno if it's really giving me much). But I dunno how it'd cope on ultimate, and it's certainly not invincible or anything, there are certainly more powerful builds. But wasn't that weak either.
What about an inquisitor glyph build? So you only focus on glyphs?

deama

Prophet
What about an inquisitor glyph build? So you only focus on glyphs?

you mean runes? the fire and ice ones?
Ye, from the inquisitor tree. I think maybe there's more than just fire/ice?

EDIT: just tried it, seems kinda fun, but there's a lack of augments to add to the glyphs, e.g there's no radius increase, reduce arming duration, etc. Also, the trigger radius is a bit small. I paired up the inquisitor with arcanist, so I'll rush to get cooldown reduction exclusive skill and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Teepo

Scholar
The first character I made in Grim Dawn was super boring. I deleted my first character early on and second time around I enjoyed it more. Second time I tried Occultist --> Shaman and was enjoying it a lot. I spent my devotion on poison damage and was fucking shit up. I wanted some summons too and support-ish spells and so Shaman did exactly that and complemented Occultist well, at least early on. Then the expansion came out, so I'm restarting again.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
So what's the review on the expansion itself? Is the story any decent? Are the environments good?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I can't really figure out an interesting build. I tried a forcewave build, that was kinda fun but got boring fast, then I tried a pistol dual wielding inquisitor with demolisionished (focus on crit) that one was fun, but I kept dying a lot. I then tried an essence drain build, but that got boring fast. I mostly enjoyed the 2-handed rifle build where I picked demolisionised and occultist, but I've played too much of that one. I also tried a laser beam build with arcanist, but everytime I try it, it just kills me inside. So any ideas for interesting builds? I don't particularly like pet/summoning builds though.

I give way to Chaotic Heretic who seems to know his stuff.

During my numerous playing the game I have picked up some stuff.

1. Physique seems to be highly valued because you will come across a few creatures that can one hit take out a very large pool of your health. You will therefore need to build your health into the 10,000+ area. Using a combo of Physique, devotions, skills, and items.

2. Circuit breakers. Describe as skills that automatically kick in when your health hit x%. These can be found on items, devotions, skills etc. You will need a few of these living in your character build. The Tortoise and Dryad has circuit breakers like these.

The characters I enjoyed most:

The Demolitionist with Canister Bomb. That was just fun watching the creatures fall about all over the screen as I stood and watched. I paired that guy with solider for the defensive bonus. Can't say it was expertly optimized but was a lot of fun. I should fix his problems now I can edit the stats via the new DLC.

The best build I found so far is a level 87 Conjurer who uses Wendigo Totem, Solael's Witchfire and a lot of retaliation damage. It's a lot of fun because I can whack a way or just simply stand still and watch them die from the retaliation.

This guy can do 11k sword damage and more than 12k retaliation damage and not mentioning vitality damage done via Devouring Storm.

115K damage done once - I don't know how or when.

This build requires a lot of micro management when using the various skills.

D268BA54CAF1221D14688B5ED796CD2426552ED5

95142817A14EA4D9301FF7C0A59019A9E72ECD95

873DCBC4A40CE94A32DA510EDB9FDC0AFAE0836D

Would welcome any comments from the experts on the thread.

Recently tried a 2H lightning build which I have not been enjoying as much as expected.

Tried a pet build too, to try and kill the Mad Queen, but found it incredibly dull.

deama

Prophet

I give way to Chaotic Heretic who seems to know his stuff.

During my numerous playing the game I have picked up some stuff.

1. Physique seems to be highly valued because you will come across a few creatures that can one hit take out a very large pool of your health. You will therefore need to build your health into the 10,000+ area. Using a combo of Physique, devotions, skills, and items.

2. Circuit breakers. Describe as skills that automatically kick in when your health hit x%. These can be found on items, devotions, skills etc. You will need a few of these living in your character build. The Tortoise and Dryad has circuit breakers like these.

The characters I enjoyed most:

The Demolitionist with Canister Bomb. That was just fun watching the creatures fall about all over the screen as I stood and watched. I paired that guy with solider for the defensive bonus. Can't say it was expertly optimized but was a lot of fun. I should fix his problems now I can edit the stats via the new DLC.

The best build I found so far is a level 87 Conjurer who uses Wendigo Totem, Solael's Witchfire and a lot of retaliation damage. It's a lot of fun because I can whack a way or just simply stand still and watch them die from the retaliation.

This guy can do 11k sword damage and more than 12k retaliation damage and not mentioning vitality damage done via Devouring Storm.

115K damage done once - I don't know how or when.
I don't particularly care about damage so much, I'm interested more in the "how it feels" department, as in, how satisfying is it to use it.

Also, are there any cooldown reduction modifiers apart from off-hand and skill tree? I can't seem to find any in devotion map nor items (apart from maybe legendary or set?).

Aothan

Magister
from recollection one of the devotions somewhere around the upper left section has a chance for decreasing cooldowns

my character just changed from focus towards the Living Shadow devotion to Tempest, since the former will still require another ten or more levels before becoming available, whilst I would like to try to include some means to distract monsters the additional elemental damage and effects from Tempest naturally suit this character's abilities. I will probably also eventually include Blizzard from Winter Spirit but the ice meteor although powerful is just as likely to miss the main part of a group of monsters because of the slow descent

Zakhad

Savant
Aeon's hourglass is the one you're thinking of. It has a chance to decrease cooldown substantially, but it's expensive to get there (although the primordial you use for that also powers tree of life which some people swear by for the circuit breaker...).

If you're playing arcanist (my favourite mastery tbh) then you might go primordial anyway for aether damage (e.g. widow, Spear otH, although Widow has an annoying eldritch requirement), although if you're dualing it with inquisitor then maybe better to go chaos/eldritch and grab the standard chariot of the dead/behemoth for circuit breakers so you can get Ulzuin's torch for fire damage. But up to you. Arcanist also has mirror which I like as a quick moment to breathe when health suddenly drops, and that benefits from cooldown reduction.

Cooldown reduction (CDR) comes from some skills, offhands, a bunch of epics, sets, legendaries, some monster infrequent weapons, and can spawn on rings and amulets and possibly weapons, I believe, a few rare prefixes give a bit of it. I think there's also a relic that gives a chance of it but the name escapes me.

If you're looking for a devotion that does a certain thing remember that grimtools lets you search/filter devotions to find particular effects.

deama

Prophet
Aeon's hourglass is the one you're thinking of. It has a chance to decrease cooldown substantially, but it's expensive to get there (although the primordial you use for that also powers tree of life which some people swear by for the circuit breaker...).

If you're playing arcanist (my favourite mastery tbh) then you might go primordial anyway for aether damage (e.g. widow, Spear otH, although Widow has an annoying eldritch requirement), although if you're dualing it with inquisitor then maybe better to go chaos/eldritch and grab the standard chariot of the dead/behemoth for circuit breakers so you can get Ulzuin's torch for fire damage. But up to you. Arcanist also has mirror which I like as a quick moment to breathe when health suddenly drops, and that benefits from cooldown reduction.

Cooldown reduction (CDR) comes from some skills, offhands, a bunch of epics, sets, legendaries, some monster infrequent weapons, and can spawn on rings and amulets and possibly weapons, I believe, a few rare prefixes give a bit of it. I think there's also a relic that gives a chance of it but the name escapes me.

If you're looking for a devotion that does a certain thing remember that grimtools lets you search/filter devotions to find particular effects.
Are there any modifiers to skills that you can get from equipment? Such as a chest piece that increases area of effect of a skill, or all skills?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, they added skill modifiers to items in the expansion. Don't know specifically about AoE range, though.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

Any reason for not using transmuted storm totem?

It's a good question.

I have never used the storm totems so can't say if they are any good. A lot of the time in combat I am standing still, so I was going to say it would be difficult to use but now I think about it, since I am standing still, storm totems could be ideal to use.

Would you suggest where to take the skill points from to add there, Devouring Storm?

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's a good question.

I have never used the storm totems so can't say if they are any good. A lot of the time in combat I am standing still, so I was going to say it would be difficult to use but now I think about it, since I am standing still, storm totems could be ideal to use.

Would you suggest where to take the skill points from to add there, Devouring Storm?

I'd take points out of Solael's Witchfire, Second Rite and Destruction, and invest heavily into Storm Totem and Blood of Dreeg + Aspect of The Guardian. At least that's what I used on my vitality conjurer.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

It's a good question.

I'd take points out of Solael's Witchfire, Second Rite and Destruction, and invest heavily into Storm Totem and Blood of Dreeg + Aspect of The Guardian. At least that's what I used on my vitality conjurer.

Cool. Thanks. Will do. Makes complete sense actually.

I just liked whacking with a sword every now and again.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When you enter Ultimate and new necro sets items and recipes which never existed on lower levels with vit&aether damage just fall from every monster in packs from trash mobs

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
On veteran, what is a decent level to try and tackle the roguelike steps of torment dungeon? I tried it as soon as I got there (lvl37). I did the challenge room with relative ease, but then the abomination boss near the door to the next level just instantly stunned and one-shot me, and that's with me being full-physique, shielded soldier.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
SoT stops scaling at level 50, so around that's a logical spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom