Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Volken

Scholar
Sooooo i just

fucked up Abessa.

This is a bummer:shittydog: Though i kinda had it comming going full egomaniac route where i support the side that gives me the most elex.

Choice and Consequence is really nicely done in this game. Doesnt pull any punches.

You mean fake C&C that doesn't block you from any path besides killing some worthless NPCs in Abessa? ;) Factions don't give a fuck too. No matter how dickish I was for Zerkers they still allowed me to join etc. C&C is there but it's extremely short term and insubstantial. In the end nobody gives a fuck about what you have done - story is on rails.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can't believe this tiny studio has been using the same engine since Gothic 3 - yet AAABethesda still can't live without a load screen every 5 minutes
rating_lulz.gif

It was a great looking engine back in the day. It probably broke PB's back developing a whole new engine for G3 but boy did it look good. I'd go as far as to say both G3 and R1 were one of the best looking games at the time of their launch. Gothic 3 almost looked better than Skyrim five years later, let alone Oblivion. Played it like two years ago and some of the desert or mountain vistas were still awe inspiring.

Elex

Arbiter
Sooooo i just

fucked up Abessa.

This is a bummer:shittydog: Though i kinda had it comming going full egomaniac route where i support the side that gives me the most elex.

Choice and Consequence is really nicely done in this game. Doesnt pull any punches.
i ‘m 99% certain that the quest work as intended.
there is 2 outcome with maybe some minor difference.

it’s like the quest with the hater berseker and the separatist

cerrain route are destined to “fail” no matter what you do.

jax try the best but can’t do much is other people are assholes

abessa dispute is one of the best quest in the game because is about logic vs humanity.
what is better free and dead killed by albs or under an iron fist but alive?

the surviving npc explain that outlaw manage to take the city but the alb attacked exploiting the weakened state and confusion also some separatist are indeed alb spy you don’t know who

Elex

Arbiter
Sooooo i just

fucked up Abessa.

You mean fake C&C that doesn't block you from any path besides killing some worthless NPCs in Abessa? ;) Factions don't give a fuck too. No matter how dickish I was for Zerkers they still allowed me to join etc. C&C is there but it's extremely short term and insubstantial. In the end nobody gives a fuck about what you have done - story is on rails.
abessa is not part of the other faction, the cleric of abessa are considered “not true cleric” of course all faction have interest in abessa but they don’t really care of the people inside.

berseker allow you in for 2k of elexite because that is the faction: the entire faction is more fake than the clerics and they “religion“

the only “true” faction is the outlaw they care for profit they follow the lead of the guy that give them profit.

Murk

Arcane
I think in Hort some of the Cleric leadership talk about how the ones in the Domed City consider themselves a separate entity. I like the idea of a pseudo utopian city "where all are welcome" struggling to survive and having to concede freedom for safety. Gives you a preview of what (eventually) may just happen to Origin as well.

(also lol at Arx commenting on how the Dome tech is wasted on "refugees and runaways".)

Tigranes

Arcane
All 3 factions are struggling with some form of half-split cell, demonstrating how none of them have a really solid grasp on their own peoples/lands but at the same time are trying to fight off the Albs. It's a fragile balance situation. Berserkers' focus on traditional contiguous territory gain really fell off with Alb invasion & the Valley, as well as some of the pathetic states of the far-off World Hearts, shows the limits of their control. Clerics have the Abessa problem even as the two continue to work together at a basic level, i.e. they're part of Clerics when it suits them but ignore Hort when it suits them. Outlaws obviously the Baxter sympathists. Surprised you don't find him somewhere.

Elex

Arbiter
All 3 factions are struggling with some form of half-split cell, demonstrating how none of them have a really solid grasp on their own peoples/lands but at the same time are trying to fight off the Albs. It's a fragile balance situation. Berserkers' focus on traditional contiguous territory gain really fell off with Alb invasion & the Valley, as well as some of the pathetic states of the far-off World Hearts, shows the limits of their control. Clerics have the Abessa problem even as the two continue to work together at a basic level, i.e. they're part of Clerics when it suits them but ignore Hort when it suits them. Outlaws obviously the Baxter sympathists. Surprised you don't find him somewhere.
rat say he talked to baxter i expected to find him at some point

agris

Arcane
Patron
When I saw in RK47 's LP that what is a "sick plague rat" in Germano has become a "runt mass rat" (????????????) in Inglese, I became very glad for playing in Germano.

It also made me start wondering whether the whiners' talk of quest compass being 100% necessary isn't a result of b0rked translation. Particularly given the "cyclops in the southwest" screen posted on one of the previous pages.
I'm playing with the quest compass disabled as well as NPC level indicators.

Are there real problems with the quest instructions in english, or is it just bitching?

Murk

Arcane
Some of the directions are vague, but it works if you're willing to look at the map and observe that there are shapes/structures strewn about it.

For example, the cleric Acolyte quest to go to the 4 shrines. You get "start here, go west, then south, then east" directions. They're all along major roads. You could argue that there's a metric ton of places the shrines could be, but... you know, it's a game, so more likely the things are in the more obvious than less obvious places.

Conversely, the one to recruit more people for the clerics is a bit more... vague. You get "one is in abessa" and "the other is in edan" but there's no clear implication to guide you, you would kind of just have to stumble around. I don't mind the latter, to be honest, but that's one that could have used more polish. Really it should have been "go talk to X for more info about it" where-in X is some scout who then details landmarks around the areas or reported where-abouts.

Duras' quest to find the murderer is also one where you have to go all over, but that one coincides in location with other quests you get in Goliet. To me, that's not a quest you do right then and there but rather you take it from Duras and in the course of doing other shit for Goliet you also will talk to those people (who then branch off into even more quests, like getting a hold of Rock for the world heart [which then sends you to the domed city]). It works out if you play things "naturally", but if you like to finish quests as you take them, you may find it troublesome. I usually like to take a ton of quests and just do whatever seems good at the time, often accomplishing shit as I go, and then clean up whatever's left when I'm done exploring.

I dunno, it's not a big deal, but it's also not as clear as "go talk to Orlan at the one tavern at the crossroads past the bridge" like in Gothic 2, which could afford to do exactly that due to how much smaller and more concentrated the game world was.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I usually like to take a ton of quests and just do whatever seems good at the time, often accomplishing shit as I go, and then clean up whatever's left when I'm done exploring.

That's exactly what I've been doing. I'll start the day and look at my list and think "I'll head down to this area and see if I can get these two quests done". Then I'll wander towards that area and, "oh, let's loot this structure", or "shit! run run run!". Then you might find yourself halfway down a cliff face, trying work out how to get back up then find a whole new area to check out, go on another tangent and pick up another quest or two.

Or you find what you think is the target for another quest but it's covered in green gas and mutants are kicking your ass so you decide to retreat and come back to it another time. And you're running for your life again and run into another pack of nasties and are trying to jet-jump on top of a hill to escape.

Then it's getting dark and your trying to find a place crash, you've used up more health than you expected to but have some neat stuff. You eventually wander back into town, weary and beat and realize that you haven't completed a single quest in the last three hours but sure had some fun adventures!

Great game, I love it. I do wish, as someone said before, that you could add multiple markers to the map with your own notes. I was thinking of just printing out a map to do that. I might do that still.

Murk

Arcane
Flame, plasma, magic, etc.

Melee is definitely more rewarding though.

Also, is it just me or are 2h Hammers much faster than 2h Swords?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a question. Do potions that permanently increase mana and such stack? I crafted like 4 or 5 and drank them, but I am not sure if it made any big difference. Also did it for stamina.

Xeon

Augur
Someone said people could see the Cold levels from Cheat Engine, maybe you can check that using it as well.

Murk

Arcane
You can see the HP pots effect by drinking it and then exiting out of menu to see your HP bar change. I imagine same should happen with stamina and mana.

Mana/psi-energy could also be tested by counting number of casts since you know how much magic costs.

Would be so much easier to just have a stats page ala gothic. Why PB, whyyy.

EDIT: So today I read a post where someone said that stats (STR) scale your attack power when comboing attacks. I had never heard this before. I just assumed attacks further in a combo have more damage (like in Risen 1, for example, where the 3rd swing of an attack combo did more damage than the 1st). I am tempted to get cheat engine to test this in the early game in a 10 STR v 100 STR comparison to see if damage does indeed go up.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had my first major combat encounter where everything "clicked." It was a certain quest where you go to a certain camp to deal with certain people with Ray. I on top of a watchtower and buffed myself with Alb Armor and Drone Control spells, then bombarded the cluster of enemies with two or three grenades. I immediately switched to the plasma rifle set on blast and started fucking them up as Ray jumped down and engaged in melee. Eventually they rushed for me and I had to use the force push spell to get some distnace before switching to my auto laser rifle to dish out that high CQC DPS. I was level 12 and factionless at the time, with a single point in ranged combat. Felt pretty good even if it did take me a dozen or so reloads.

And since people are continuing to violently rape the dead horse, I would like to metaphorically stick my chode into the pulped carcass once more:

Discussion of quest markers in INSERT GAME HERE thread:

"The quest markers could have been done better, right now they kind of take away exploration when used for most quests while some quests require them as there is not enough direction"

"I guess? Whatever."

Discussion of quest markers in ELEX thread:

"The quest markers could have been done better, right now they kind of take away exploration when used for most quests while some quests require them as there is not enough direction"

"Not enough direction? Stop whining and learn to use a map and actually explore, you fucking idiot"

"No but that's what I am saying - in most cases, quest markers actually hurt exploration in this game. I want more exploration."

"Then don't use quest markers, you fucking sperglord, they are completely optional."

"Well yeah, that works well but you occasionally get blindsided by quests with shitty direction."

"Shitty direction? Stop whining and learn to use a map and actually explore. Jesus how do people like you even function, how is it that you didn't get lost in your mother's womb?"

"But I want more guideless exploration"

"Then don't use quest markers and Christ I really wish your mother would have known she brought such an abomination into the world and strangled you with your own umbilical cord."

"Before we repeat ourselves for the upteenth time, let me explain: the point is that that the fact that quest markers almost always point you towards the objective, even if said objective is meant to be hidden, coupled with the fact that certain quests don't have clear directions at all, means that you either play with quest markers on and lose out on some searching and exploration or you play with them off and certain quests become extra tedious. That's the issue. Admittedly not the biggest problem in the world, but it is something that could have been done better."

"Alright, it is an issue kind of, but its not like its a big one or anything. Also I hope you get AIDS and die."

"So we agree. Cool."

Elex

Arbiter
I have a question. Do potions that permanently increase mana and such stack? I crafted like 4 or 5 and drank them, but I am not sure if it made any big difference. Also did it for stamina.
don't drink them from the quick bar drink them from the inventory, i read quickbar is bugged for perma potion.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Gotta admit, after playing through ELEX, I now realize how flawed the gameplay is. For the first 15 levels you just run away from everything and beeline quests (which you have to admit, gets boring after a while, especially since it takes 20 or so hours to reach level 15). Once you get to 15 you get decent equipment, enough to easily kill anything in the game. And none of the combat mechanics like rolling, parrying, or shit like that even matters really. Just spam the light attack and you will kill most things, for groups of enemies or things like Colossi, just use psi-powers/magic or some kind of aoe ranged weapon like flamethrower or plasma gun and shit just melts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom