Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which one of the RPG renaissance developers will survive the longest?

Read the title

• HBS

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • InXile

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Larian

Votes: 94 58.0%
  • Obsidian

Votes: 56 34.6%

• Total voters

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Some clarification: By "RPG renaissance developer" I mean Larian, Obsidian, InXile, and HBS, as they have got significant mainstream attention as developers (rather than just for one game) and are reasonably well-known in the general gaming community, which ensures they have a decent lifetime ahead of them.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since Larian is the oldest, I'm gonna guess them. They're good at AA development, since that's where they've pretty much always been, and so far their games are doing pretty well.

This post might get really depressing if they do tank in the near future.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Larian , they've managed to survive this long even though they made some pretty rubbish games in past , so they're definitely gonna survive now that their games are actually popular.

Obsidian is probably gonna be the first one to bite the dust though, downgraded multiple times, best talent leaving and Tyranny was almost as shit as Torment Numanuma

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Larian seems just one step removed from overreach
inXile is already dead, just doesn't know it yet
Obsidian would be my pick

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which ever strives for longest or goes belly up first is either irrelevant or a problem of the future.

I just want RPG’s I can have fun with. Each poll option has produced them and has the potential to produce more.

buffalo bill

Arcane
"RPG renaissance developer"
Why isn't the list exhausted by Iron Tower Studio, Stygian Software, Blue Bottle Games, (maybe) Whalenought Studios, Freehold Games and (maybe) Heroic Fantasy Games? I.e. the studios that have delivered amazing games in recent years.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian: Mainly because they are the ONLY Developer that actually understand PnP Mechanics, and try to implement them in their games.

Larian: Sven is an incredibly smart dude, but he is falling into the trap of "What sells" (He is trying to do what is best for his Company). He is losing focus, and this will continue to a downward spiral. They will however endure...

InExile: Fargo has lost all perspective, and doesn't know what to do, so he focuses on the next Nintendo gaming console....

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Whalenought Studios, OlderBytes, Heroic Fantasy Games, Rad Codex, Almost Humans, Oklabsoft hopefully. And the Dungeon of Aledorn guys. Oh I also want Crystal Shard to make Quest for glory set in fantasy India and Pioneers to be finished. Keep afloat guys, you're just starting.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Larian will overextend and might crash and burn. Success is the greatest existential risk, it leads to overconfidence and laziness.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Obsidian: Mainly because they are the ONLY Developer that actually understand PnP Mechanics

Right? That's why PoE's ruleset was so good

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
Larian. Current success aside, they've shown themselves to be very flexible, going from Diablo clone to 3rd person action-RPG to strategy game to turn-based RPG as the market changed, and all within the same IP.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All Larian has to do is bet the farm (like they always do) on a Tides of Numenera and it's over.

Safe money's on Feargus.

Cross

Arcane
All Larian has to do is bet the farm (like they always do) on a Tides of Numenera and it's over.
That would require Larian to make games that fall into the same niche as Tides of Numenera. Larian's games, with their relatively high production values, 3D graphics, co-op and full voice acting, have significantly more mainstream appeal than inXile's games. In spite of receiving the least attention from the press out of any of the renaissance cRPG's, Divinity: Original Sin was by the most succesful of them. It was also made with a smaller budget than T:ToN.

Safe money's on Feargus.
Feargus, the guy who's currently giving interviews where he casually mentions that he wouldn't mind selling Obsidian if he got the right offer, is your idea of a safe bet?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That would require Larian to make games that fall into the same niche as Tides of Numenera. Larian's games, with their relatively high production values, 3D graphics, co-op and full voice acting, have significantly more mainstream appeal than inXile's games. In spite of receiving the least attention from the press out of any of the renaissance cRPG's, Divinity: Original Sin was by the most succesful of them. It was also made with a smaller budget than T:ToN.

Dragon Commander didn't do all that well (though that's partially because they intentionally fucked it over to put more money into D:OS). I'm just saying one we-expected-this-to-be-a-hit-but-it-fizzled will end them.

Feargus, the guy who's currently giving interviews where he casually mentions that he wouldn't mind selling Obsidian if he got the right offer, is your idea of a safe bet?

Depends on what the right offer is. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahaha it seems that Fargo have an account on the codex,after all one vote for his company.

Larian and Obsidian are the main contenders. Both make decent games that sell ok.

imweasel

Right? That's why PoE ruleset was so good

giphy.gif
I hate it myself, but it was Sawyer's project. Tim Cain is probably the only prominent developer at Obsidian that truly understands PnP and systems design in general.

Xeon

Augur
I remember after DOS1 Larian expanded a lot and Sven said to make more games at faster rates and quality or something? I could be wrong. But yeah if that's true then it will depends on the quality of their next releases. Right now they are the most successful at selling their games.

Obsidian can probably continue to survive even if they don't make cRPGs so hopefully their PoE2 will be a lot more successful and guarantee more games and stability for them.

I think its over for InXile with their releases of W2 and TToN, 2 games that were not sold well. HS seems to have switched to strategy instead of an RPG I think, so no use counting them.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I see HBS and Larian outlasting InXile and Obsidian. It comes down to which of those two makes a major misstep first. InXile is already a mess and I have the sense Obsidian has bled good talent and is sitting a failure away from being in that same state. HBS is more niche than Larian, but I also don't see them overextending easily like Larian could.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I think its over for InXile with their releases of W2 and TToN, 2 games that were not sold well

Additionally, they are burdened with BT4, which will shock me if it sells well.

Malpercio

Arcane
Both Obsidian and Larian aren't going anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom