Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It must suck to release Grimoire only for ELEX to steal the spotlights.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Not as much as being the new village idiot, brah.

A meaningless title vs working on the same game for 20 years? I would rather wear the title proudly. Of course, I would love to be the one to make Grimoire (or any buggy and unfinished RPG, for that matter), but I would be massively butthurt if another company released a better game two months later.

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

How long until you realize your idiot confidence is misplaced once again?

No need to play Grimoire for that: just look at the facts. This thread is dead and everyone is talking about ELEX. I mean, can you blame them? Cleve is usually worthless when it comes to facing criticism, whereas Björn listens to its faithful community and didn't spend 20 years making a buggy game.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If you think that Grimoire players are interested in a real-time action "RPG", you're seriously strecthing it. Personally, I couldn't give less of a shit about ELEX.

PEACH

Arbiter

How long until you realize your idiot confidence is misplaced once again?

No need to play Grimoire for that: just look at the facts. This thread is dead and everyone is talking about ELEX. I mean, can you blame them? Cleve is usually worthless when it comes to facing criticism, whereas Björn listens to its faithful community and didn't spend 20 years making a buggy game.

So the facts are... basically nothing to do with the games themselves? As expected.

The day ELEX is a blobber with puzzles/exploration/dungeons half as good as Grimoire is the day I entertain the comparison

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you think that Grimoire players are interested in a real-time action "RPG", you're seriously strecthing it. Personally, I couldn't give less of a shit about ELEX.

So the facts are... basically nothing to do with the games themselves? As expected.

The day ELEX is a blobber with puzzles/exploration/dungeons half as good as Grimoire is the day I entertain the comparison

Why move the goalposts like so? I never said "must suck that ELEX is a better RPG!", only "must suck that ELEX steals the spotlights". In case you aren't keen enough, that means "must suck no one is paying attention to Grimoire".

PEACH

Arbiter
The goalposts aren't moved because the point has always been the same: you're comparing two widely unrelated games based on thread popularity directly after the far more commercially viable and accessible game was released. Which is retarded.

I was plainly stating that until the games beg direct comparison there's no point of even perceiving the situation the way you do, because Elex isn't a direct competitor for a lot of Grimoire fans and vice versa.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The goalposts aren't moved because the point has always been the same: you're comparing two widely unrelated games based on thread popularity directly after the far more commercially viable and accessible game was released. Which is retarded.

Not when you have been working on a game for 20 years and want some recognition.

PEACH

Arbiter
Sure, but whenever Cleve has put down his hyperbole for 15 seconds he's made it clear he doesn't expect much outside of the scope of his minute niche in the first place.

No one who wants widespread recognition first and foremost would wait so long to release a game that had been mostly compete over a decade prior for 40USD, and many of his comments here and elsewhere all but confirm he's more concerned with gatekeeping than mass appeal.

Biggus

Scholar
Sure, but whenever Cleve has put down his hyperbole for 15 seconds he's made it clear he doesn't expect much outside of the scope of his minute niche in the first place.

No one who wants widespread recognition first and foremost would wait so long to release a game that had been mostly compete over a decade prior for 40USD, and many of his comments here and elsewhere all but confirm he's more concerned with gatekeeping than mass appeal.

Well, I would have thought 360k sales prediction wasn't quite gatekeeping?

mUzfC3y.png

Brancaleone

Liturgist
he's more concerned with gatekeeping than mass appeal.

I perfectly understand that, I'm so concerned with gatekeeping when it comes to my Magnum Opus that I am resolved to sell it only to the truly worthy. Of course, since I have found out that nobody is actually worthy of it, nobody has even seen it as of yet. Which makes it an amazingly resounding success, and you should all be kneeling before me.

The good thing about giving priority to gatekeeping is that the less people buy Grimoire, the more it proves that it's an astonishingly great game, since it means that only the very few true monocled are buying it.

So, if you want to show Cleve your admiration for his work, refund your copy of Grimoire as soon as you can, you don't want him to think that all his gatekeeping efforts were for nothing!

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter
His estimates were far more down to earth than 360k at one point, prior to release perhaps? Tried to find the quotation unsuccessfully.

he's more concerned with gatekeeping than mass appeal.

So, if you want to show Cleve your admiration for his work, refund your copy of Grimoire as soon as you can, you don't want him to think that all his gatekeeping efforts were for nothing!

There's a big difference between admiration of one's actions / motivations and acknowledgement of them. Never set out to endorse or make a saint out of him, merely cited his own claims in a conversation pertaining to them.

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
There's a big difference between admiration of one's actions / motivations and acknowledgement of them. Never set out to endorse or make a saint out of him, merely cited his own claims in a conversation pertaining to them.
Ok, then: if you want to acknowledge Cleve's efforts, refund your copy of Grimoire as soon as you can, you don't want him to think that all his gatekeeping efforts were for nothing!

PEACH

Arbiter
Ok, then: if you want to acknowledge Cleve's efforts, refund your copy of Grimoire as soon as you can, you don't want him to think that all his gatekeeping efforts were for nothing!

You must be pretty dense but I'll clarify it even further: I am acknowledging his motivations as claimed by him, not his "efforts". There's absolutely no assignment of value to his approach on my behalf, the entire reason the point was raised was (again) not to lionize the man but counter Sigourn's belief that he'd feel overshadowed by ELEX.

I couldn't care less whether he wants to make a billion dollars or make people run a triathalon prior to purchase. Only interested in relaying context.

Biggus

Scholar
At the moment, I'd say Calvin is overshadowed by all and any releases. The Grimoire forum is seeing none, one or maybe 2 posts a day and with numbers (and PLAYTIMES!) like this, I'd say as a coder, he is an excellent gatekeeper.

LcsZrpH.png

Brancaleone

Liturgist

I am acknowledging his motivations as claimed by him, not his "efforts". There's absolutely no assignment of value to his approach on my behalf, the entire reason the point was raised was (again) not to lionize the man but counter Sigourn's belief that he'd feel overshadowed by ELEX.

I couldn't care less whether he wants to make a billion dollars or make people run a triathalon prior to purchase. Only interested in relaying context.

You might not care less about it :D, but I am quite interested in the outcome of all this, he is really setting a milestone for all us aspiring gatekeepers, one that will be incredibly hard for anybody to match.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
It sucks that Grimoire was on its way to gaming Hall of Fame Super-Duper Stardom and then Playersunknownbattlegroudfaggotry came out and totally ruined it.

Don't give up, Cleve! Time the GoG release as if you were a movie studio and put it out a just the right time to grab the most cash. Unless you can't wait, which is understandable, considering Grimoire's intense production cycle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom