Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

pippin

Isn't it free? At least I have it in my library, but it could have been a giveaway.

Dux

Arcane
I've picked up the Alone in the Dark trilogy and Blood, in the spirit of Halloween or whatever the fuck.

Spoopyness shall be dispensed.

mwnn85

Savant
Is Hand of Fate good ?
I've played worse but there's better games available in the GOG sale.
Boredom kicks in fairly quickly in once the same gameplay mechanics get used over and over.
Essentially you fight continuous melee battles in series of small area maps against a very limited selection of enemies.
You travel between each fight/stage one step at a time through the cards that are laid out by the dealer.
Some of the cards benefit you - others penalise.
It gets tougher through each stage as food, gold and items get harder to acquire.
Some "find the treasure" & boss maps get introduced to break up the repetitiveness.
Quite grindy really.

Mordheim CotD is my favourite at the minute but that's on STEAM unfortunately. 75% off at the moment though.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
DROD Bundle 80% off, yea or nay? Never played the series...

DROD 1+2+3 for $2 is an absolute steal, but I'd hold off on the others though because there's a chance you may be burned out after having played the first three games.

DROD 2 is the best game in the series.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/game/call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth?as=1649904300

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
nice.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackstaff

Arbiter

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
nice.png
Well, didn't see that one coming at all. That game was supposed to be pretty hard to release for GOG, so that's :incline: right there.

EDIT And the price is :what: for Bethesda. If you are interested, you should buy at 5 shekels really fast. It's a mistake most likely. EDIT : Same price as steam in fact, so the bugs.

Don Peste

Arcane

nice.png
Plus: When you buy this game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls Chapter II: Daggerfall will be added to your GOG.com account for free!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Plus: When you buy this game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls Chapter II: Daggerfall will be added to your GOG.com account for free!

I know Sherlock, it's Beth game after all
got it with RtCW (still not work properly on Win7 64bit ffs) and Morrowind (because potato version have different files structure)

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Call of Cthulhu is a strange one. I remember playing it back in the day and thinking it was one of the best horror games I ever got my hands on... and then "Attack of the Fishmen" happened and it took a nosedive. What started out as a first person adventure game with some neat stealth and insanity mechanics turned into an on-rails scriptfest that will punish you hard for making the slightest mistake. I just replayed the game up until that part and it's even worse than I remembered it. I mainly remembered it being totally out of place with the deliberately slow-paced beginning of the game. But playing it again I'm really amazed at the number of unfathomably awful design choices they managed to cram into that one sequence. The thing is: you can't quicksave during this game, and this chapter in particular is purely trial and error (with zero margin for the latter, you'll have to start over again). Which wouldn't be so bad, were it not for the fact that you'll have to perform one tedious, time-consuming task after another: slowly push wardrobes out of the way, crawl underneath some windows to avoid getting shot. You get killed very easily during that sequence, which already ruins all suspense the game built up to that point. But the feeling of "Oh, I'll have to push that thing out of the way again! I have to crawl down that hallway again!" is what makes me want to uninstall this immediately.

This has a perfect 5/5 user score on gog right now, and I can't quite understand why. Did these people never play it past the first 90 minutes? I can't remember how far I got into the game, I just remember it taking a further turn for the worse by turning into an insipid shooter with awful gun mechanics. Should I give this a second chance? Does it ever come up with anything resembling the first chapter in terms of gameplay? Or should I just relish the memory of that great first hour and a half and just quit once the townsfolk start knocking at my hotel room door?

Zenith

Arbiter
On one hand, it does turn into a shooter (with occasional respawning enemies to boot), so it's not like you're entirely wrong.

But on the other...
punish you hard for making the slightest mistake.
purely trial and error (with zero margin for the latter, you'll have to start over again)
get killed very easily during that sequence
I can maybe understand dying once because you didn't block both doors in one of the rooms. But come on, did you play it with a steering wheel or something? Nobody I know found it hard. And it's a great sequence, still unmatched by imitations in Penumbra/Amnesia. And how would you suggest improving it, play it as a 5 minute long cutscene? Or do the cool new horror-walking-sim thing and respawn on the next checkpoint instead of the previous one?

mwnn85

Savant
You can't really sell a whole game alone on that one short sequence - as good as it is - although it's nice to see this pop up on GOG.
Getting caught or shot usually means you've failed to block/bolt a door or took the wrong turn.
It's more or less certain death if spotted on the streets but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They could've provided the player with a few tools to make a distraction - like in Splinter Cell / Metal Gear Solid / Thief.
I thought the game was decent up until the raid sequence.
If the game was re-done today it would likely be filled with idiot-proof QTE moments; smashing Cthulu himself in the face by hitting X.

The game doesn't particularly excel in any area and does a lot of stuff worse than many earlier games that came before it i.e. Deus Ex (2000), Thief (1998), System Shock (1994), etc.
It's all a bit clunky, muddy and blocky. Filled with game breaking bugs and left for dead by Bethesda.
The "sanity system" is nothing more than blurring your vision or applying another irritating effect.
The developers didn't appear to have any clue on where to take the gameplay once the player leaves Innsmouth but then their track record is less than brilliant.
Turning it into a poorly executed shooter with respawning enemies was a bit of a cop out.
As a horror game I didn't particularly find it any jumpier than Aliens vs Predator (1999, 2001).
The whole thing probably would've worked a lot better as a classic Resident Evil style game aka Alone in the Dark.

The GOG rating is just typical initial excitement over it's release - it probably deserves something closer to a 3/5.
I find it's lacking something extra to push it into greatness like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (2006)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Interesting note there on Nex Machina:

I seem to be the only one whining about this, but NEX MACHINA is just as "DRM" as this one. It is a single player game, and the high score, which is the only thing you have to strive for, is locked to Galaxy, as are one of the game modes and all the characters visual unlocks and the achievements.

No wonder Housemarque goes down whining, when they make bone-headed decisions like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom