Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs very light on text, heavy on reactive gameplay?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just remembered another: This War of Mine.

Thanks. I forgot I played this and found awesome but never finished.

By the way, isn't it strange that the genre that supposedly tries to offer the best experience/accuracy for playing a role tend to be so weak on world reactivity and npc intelligence? Shouldn't it have developed it's own A-Life by now instead of keeping the cardboard NPCs with annexed walls of text that only exist when the player enters it'sight range? It makes me think if the true rpgs are not things like Stalkers and FTLs.

I guess it'd be hard for a designer to be able to justify the costs of a living breathing world that exists without the intervention of the player. Imagine the heart attack a publisher suit would have if you tell him it's very likely that a player will miss a great chunk of content and that unless he's careful, he'd effectively be reduced to a participant in the world, missing out on tons of content.

Silva

Arcane
Yes, Mount & Blade counts.

I guess it'd be hard for a designer to be able to justify the costs of a living breathing world that exists without the intervention of the player. Imagine the heart attack a publisher suit would have if you tell him it's very likely that a player will miss a great chunk of content and that unless he's careful, he'd effectively be reduced to a participant in the world, missing out on tons of content.
What if this is the appeal? "Prepare to enter a world so alive that can be saved by another hero if you blink!" I would totally play in this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What if this is the appeal? "Prepare to enter a world so alive that can be saved by another hero if you blink!" I would totally play in this.
You would, I would. A not-insignificant number of codexers would. That's not the point. A suit will, at the end, worry more about the return on his investment, than the appeal of a game. Which is probably why most of these open, living games as you put it, come more from smaller, independent studios, than the rest. Or russians. From that also follows the possibility that they do not reach enough users so as to impact how other companies will approach game design in the future.
Even Mount and Blade was effectively funded on an early-access model.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So i assume youre not talking about storybased reactivity but one based on gameplay? As in having a meaningful character progression?

If yes, Underrail might be something for you. There is quite some text to read, ofcourse, but it is more heavily based on exploration and overcoming obstacles in various ways. Think of it as a mixture between Fallout 1+2 and System Shock. It involves a lot of backtracking though, so make sure to use it with Cheat Engine to boost walking speed.

Avernum games should work for you too. It also has some text to it but it is not the emphasis of the game.

Do "Immersive Sims" count? If yes then Dishonored 2 and Prey might be worth a look. Or how about the newer Deus Ex games?

Divinity Original Sin 2. Now this is the most text heavy out of my recommendations but it also has alot going for it aside from that. And there is TONS of reactivity in it, both in story and gameplay. It also has a better pacing when it comes to storytelling than Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Last but not least, you should play ELEX. Appearantly there is much butthurt surrounding the game but if you can deal with clunky combat that takes some time to get used to and trashy yet entertaining dialogue and worldbuilding i will assure you that you will have much fun with Elex. It is basically Gothic 2,5 with highly reactive questdesign, added skillchecks in dialogues and a bigger gameworld.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Roguelikes are more akin to P&P RPGs in the sense that stuff is made-up as you go along and, for most P&P games, nobody ever finishes them anyway, at least, they are only limited by people's desire to end it by communal agreement or people's desire to not keep playing.

Having said that, MMOs are actually more akin to proper P&P because you actually have a group of individuals performing different roles to achieve the current objectives.

Having said that, single-player Role Playing Games are specifically designed akin to the set modules you would get included in a P&P set, for people who don't want the hassle of relying on a decent DM and the associated 'mess' that too much ingenuity can cause to a role-playing group. Instead of having a group of people to play with, you play all members of the group. Because it's a game there's a beginning and an end with some form of narrative as a reason for existing.

What bothers me is when people, such as yourself, put so much emphasis on having a dynamic world. Or what is often referred to as "A living, breathing world". Why do you want that so much? When you play a game you encounter whatever the game offers, you perform the tasks that the game asks you to do, you eventually get to the point where you're wanting the game to end, either through boredom or because you want a change of scene. In what way does it matter whether the quest you're given is randomly generated or a static pre-script? How does that change anything? Why do you want NPCs running about doing stuff? How does that change your experience?

For me, any game which randomly generates stuff always, and without fault, leaves me feeling a bit empty. As if the game is playing itself and I'm just an insignificant time-waster. Surely people play games in order to escape this kind of nihilistic and depressive outlook. With set modules you can actually taste the sense of achievement, as if what you're doing has some kind of purpose beyond hamster wheel time consumption.

I'm a completionist though. My intention whenever I start any game is to beat it/complete it. I like to then take on a new challenge that is different enough to provide a sense of the new, but still within familiar territory. I am aware not all people are like this. Some people are habitual quitters, no matter what the game is, after X number of hours they get bored and want to move onto another game, to which roguelikes are like the solid embodiment of their personality. Some people get addicted the same game, want to live in one particular game, find themselves willing prisoners in the same world for all eternity, to which MMOs and grand simulations are a solid embodiment of their personality. My personality is just enjoying the hand-crafted pleasures of set modules. To me, the more hand-crafting you remove, the less interested I am (which is also, ironically, why I don't like crafting in games).

To me, it's you who is preaching decline. And it will be me who is whispering "you silly decliner" as I unplug your old drip and plug in your new one as you exist in a vegetative state behind your virtual goggles, forever chasing that never-ending new quest-line at level 3,546 in No Man's Sky version 5.9848765.

8e2c1de576cdec83b792e3511abb88d6.jpg

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
Space Rangers 1/2 are (mostly) text light, and reactive in the sense that your help heavily influences which star systems on space map get defended/freed (can be done without you, but the odds are stacked towards invaders if you don't help/disrupt the efforts by killing allies for your selfish means). Space Rangers 2 is more reactive than 1 because of more opportunities that aren't only combat related (purchasing various space centers, investing).

V_K

Arcane
Wizardry 7 and 8 would be the most obvious choices, I believe. Daggerfall too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom