Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Gotta hand it to Roguey, it takes a special kind of bloody-mindedness to like something as obviously terrible as T:ToN. :salute:
You're a fucking commie and I'm a fucking nazi and neither of us is retarded enough to like Tides of Numenera.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know how you can't have noticed at least how the game keeps bombarding you with shit that your character shouldn't know.
Like having a book where the writer can't make the difference between the main character and the reader.

And the amateurish descriptions... jeez. Imagine a horror writer, describing a monster, going "and the monster was very scary, believe me!!! oooooooh!!!! *flashlight flashes intermittently*"

Iznaliu

Arbiter
And the amateurish descriptions... jeez. Imagine a horror writer, describing a monster, going "and the monster was very scary, believe me!!! oooooooh!!!! *flashlight flashes intermittently*"

This sounds more interesting than what I know of T:ToN.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Torment have a lot of "To the point" dialogue options and they are mostly simple,and there are some really in depth smart dialogues in between. While Numenera have a ton of pointless drivel that amounts to absolutely nothing. In Torment when you talk to npc you feel like two actual people talk about things. In Numenera you feel like reading lore paragraphs on some kind of computer. In the end,when people decide to make some kind of legendary cult classic,it turns out to be shit. When they try to make a good rpg game,it turns out to be a legendary cult classic. Same philosophy could be applied to films and books.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So, after all of Roguey's perfectly timed bumping and concocted controversy who actually played it during the free weekend and was it worth it?

Someone must have...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nobody cares about it. Amusingly even the stalwart white-knights who defended it when it started to become obvious to anyone that it's going the wrong way have since either changed their mind or apparently forgotten about it.

And Infinitron is wondering what people are going to think in 10 years. lul. Game is already dead. Even deader than W2. Who's even discussing anything about them save for "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT???"

In 10 years TTON will be the game that when someone mentions it nobody will know what they're talking about.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
i will never forget it.
it shit on my dreams of a torment sequel.

Speaking of which, Brother Nazi was saying at some point that there will some reference to PST. Did I miss them? Or where they also cut?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i will never forget it.

Speaking of which, Brother Nazi was saying at some point that there will some reference to PST. Did I miss them? Or where they also cut?
006077769AA763E9495D7ACA3690F1EA06B9B363

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In 10 years TTON will be the game that when someone mentions it nobody will know what they're talking about.
Torment: Tides of Numenera exists only to be confused with Planescape: Torment, in similar fashion to Monte Cook existing in order to be confused with David Zeb Cook. :M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
i will never forget it.

006077769AA763E9495D7ACA3690F1EA06B9B363

Meh, not really a reference. More like a cameo. That's Colin's pet character, which also was much better in PST.

Wot. I said 10 months. I was referring to our end of year GOTY poll.

Right. Well, I still stand by what I said. 10 years, 10 months, doesn't matter, game is still forgotten. Nobody will suddenly have warm fuzzy memories about it 10 months later.

Cross

Arcane
Looks like spoony did:

"This game speaks to me. I think they pretty much nailed it."
- Spoony circa 2017, in the throes of mental breakdown.

A damning endorsement if I've ever seen one.

Watching the first few minutes of that video, I'm reminded of why exactly T:ToN failed in its narrative ambitions. The game starts and despite the fact that you're falling to your death, you're still allowed plenty of time to go shifting through your memories and reliving plot-critical flashbacks. The game relies on memories (including the Meres) to do a substantial amount of its narrative heavy lifting.

Why is this bad? PS:T was all about uncovering your memories, wasn't it?

Except, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't. The only flashbacks that frequently occur in PS:T are the brief vignettes you get when doing side quests (like when you find your old eyeball and slot it back in your socket, reliving the sight of old battles you fought, giving you some XP and one weapon proficiency point). These are unrelated to the main story and are essentially fluff. Cool cluff that acts as a framing device for the story, but fluff nonetheless.

PS:T's writer must have realized that flashbacks are a narrative contrivance that runs the risk of turning the protagonist into a passive observer. Instead, the story in PS:T is uncovered through the player's actions: by tracking down Pharod, visiting your own tomb, speaking to Ravel, bargaining with the Pillar of Skulls, absorbing your previous incarnations into yourself, etc.

And the memories in T:ToN aren't even yours. Unlike the original, it's an impersonal story. The memory aspect of PS:T's story was personal and tied to the protagonists' status as an immortal who lived through numerous incarnations. This aspect was also reinforced mechanically. The fact that TNO gains attribute points on level ups and can change classes at will is a deliberate violation of AD&D's rules, to convey the fact that TNO can recall and quickly relearn abilities his previous incarnations possessed. Not only is the memory aspect in T:ToN not conveyed nearly as well, but it doesn't even have a convincing narrative justification to exist in the first place.

T:ToN aped the superficial form of PS:T without understanding its function.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right. Well, I still stand by what I said. 10 years, 10 months, doesn't matter, game is still forgotten. Nobody will suddenly have warm fuzzy memories about it 10 months later.

I didn't say they would, in fact I implied the opposite

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Looks like spoony did:

"This game speaks to me. I think they pretty much nailed it."
- Spoony circa 2017, in the throes of mental breakdown.

A damning endorsement if I've ever seen one.

Watching the first few minutes of that video

He didn't say that though...? And certainly not in the first few minutes. If you want to know his thoughts then skip to the last few minutes of the video. Or are you quoting him from some historical source?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
He didn't say that though...? And certainly not in the first few minutes.
He did. After dying from the fall.

Ohh, must have assumed he was being sarcastic. At some point in the vid he says he's gonna leave it there if he gets another death scene, he starts making tired sounds, sighing a lot etc. Needless to say, the game doesn't have much death in it and he didn't die. I'd still take his conclusions over his flippant gameplay remarks as the quotes to quote.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Nah, he often looks like that. I assume that kinda stuff is talked about a lot in the official spoony thread.

At the end of the vid he's just walking out into the ninth world and he's not put off by the game yet, he's intrigued enough to continue, but he does express the pain of having such a steep learning curve to adapting to a whole new language/world and that the game is extremely wordy, you could see him skimming/passing more and more text as the vid progressed. However, he is the kind of guy who gets intriqued easily so his desire to not let the game beat him into submission with its horseshit will likely make him want to go on and prove to himself that he does at least "get it".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom