Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum is, by far, one of the worst *games* I've ever played... emphasis on "game" and not "RPG"

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
"Just noticed".

Enlightened cRPG player.
If you think I'm paying attention to what you're doing you're more retarded than I thought.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you think I'm paying attention to what you're doing you're more retarded than I thought.

01f.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm glad I pressed through on my playthrough. It really seems to be the case that BMC is the worst part of the game BY FAR, because I'm having a great time at the moment. I've been to Ashbury, the Isle of Despair (kind of underwhelming, but eh), Black Root, Dernholm (these past two had some neat quests), and now I'm exploring the Dredge.

Arcanum's charm cannot be overestimated, it is seriously great. And once you are strong enough, the combat is actually enjoyable.

mushaden

Scholar
Yeah getting through the BMC is a pain for sure, probably almost up there with Arnika Road in Wiz8

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah getting through the BMC is a pain for sure, probably almost up there with Arnika Road in Wiz8

After going through that part the game really picked up, IMO. I had to stop playing just a while ago because I've been playing non-stop, or as much non-stop as I can considering I play windowed mode at the original resolution (which means everything on the background distracts me). I even had to start walking around cities and towns because I felt I was rushing otherwise, and I was getting too much info for me to process. I have to compliment Arcanum in that, so far, I haven't got a single quest I HATED, which is pretty cool, and a lot of quests also had nice twists to them, be it either for their story or because of the things you needed to do to progress.

One of my favorite little details so far has been attempting to ride the train in Tarant. I was going to Ashbury and I had to purchase a ticket. After going through a detailed exchange with the ticket seller, I found I couldn't ride the train because I have a dog with me. Not only did the game encourage me to get a refund, but I was even asked WHY I was refunding the ticket (and given the option "they wouldn't let me in"). Stuff like this is great. And once I understood how the skill system works (not like Fallout's "with a mediocre skill you are great", but like Gothic's "you are great once your skill is high"), combat became much more enjoyable.

what is bad aboout BMC?

It's an annoying change of pace. First you have to deal with tons of enemies, some of which are extremely difficult to kill, and then you have to deal with tons of traps, and finally the longest fucking corridor I've ever seen in a videogame.

Shadenuat

Arcane
...you guys know you can just run past enemies in TB mode from location to location like in Fallout right? With 1st level fire spell you can cross whole level of BMC before enemy makes a move.

Efe

Erudite
mages are easy mode, ranged weapons dont break so they are fine, tech-melees craft axes and magic melees get fucked.
whats the problem there? it filters bad builds.. like depot b from underrail

Sjukob

Arcane
I was killing golems with fists , not much of a problem since I was playing a warrior . Any sort of axe is also effective .

d1nolore

Savant
Just take extra weapons, or railway spikes. Save your good weapons. As long as you have plenty of healing it not very hard. I suppose its good to have somewhat challenging parts to games otherwise combat and character building becomes mundane.

After going through that part the game really picked up, IMO. I had to stop playing just a while ago because I've been playing non-stop, or as much non-stop as I can considering I play windowed mode at the original resolution (which means everything on the background distracts me). I even had to start walking around cities and towns because I felt I was rushing otherwise, and I was getting too much info for me to process. I have to compliment Arcanum in that, so far, I haven't got a single quest I HATED, which is pretty cool, and a lot of quests also had nice twists to them, be it either for their story or because of the things you needed to do to progress.

One of my favorite little details so far has been attempting to ride the train in Tarant. I was going to Ashbury and I had to purchase a ticket. After going through a detailed exchange with the ticket seller, I found I couldn't ride the train because I have a dog with me. Not only did the game encourage me to get a refund, but I was even asked WHY I was refunding the ticket (and given the option "they wouldn't let me in"). Stuff like this is great. And once I understood how the skill system works (not like Fallout's "with a mediocre skill you are great", but like Gothic's "you are great once your skill is high"), combat became much more enjoyable.

what is bad aboout BMC?

It's an annoying change of pace. First you have to deal with tons of enemies, some of which are extremely difficult to kill, and then you have to deal with tons of traps, and finally the longest fucking corridor I've ever seen in a videogame.

Solved the Gnomish half-ogre consipiracy yet?
I'm guessing you haven't reached the end of that quest line - you seem like someone who still has a piece of soul left over that hasn't been sadistically stomped to death:)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Solved the Gnomish half-ogre consipiracy yet?

I think I have only three important quests left to do: cure a girl's lycanthropy, that half-ogre quest, and to find the lost Iron Clan. Those three before I get back to the main quest in Roseborough.

Favorite quest option so far has been getting a party of heroes to recover the Blade of Xerxes for me. :)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Need some help over here. I've finished the game, except the ending slides are FUCKING BUGGED.

Anyone know how to fix this? I only get a handful and in a very inconsistent way (first time I got two slides only, Shrouded Hills and Caladon; just now I got one of Don Throgg, what the fuck). It's a massive cockblock to end the game on this note...

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Need some help over here. I've finished the game, except the ending slides are FUCKING BUGGED.

Anyone know how to fix this? I only get a handful and in a very inconsistent way (first time I got two slides only, Shrouded Hills and Caladon; just now I got one of Don Throgg, what the fuck). It's a massive cockblock to end the game on this note...

Well I was caught simillar bug once, one guy told me interesting assumption about source of such trouble - slides shows up, but they do that VERY fast. Perhaps it's same problem like a lift in Grim Fandango in not remastered versions - animation based on hardware, modern proccessors very fast, so slide appears and disappear VERY fast, too fast for human eye. But I am not sure. Anyway that glitch I was encountered only once, seems it's not regular bug. My main problem with ending slides - every time when I convince main evil guy to "just give up" and kill himself (nonviolent way to use device) game show me slides where I joined bad guy instead of slides with good ending, which have no sense at all. Others endings work fine, though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Well I was caught simillar bug once, one guy told me interesting assumption about source of such trouble - slides shows up, but they do that VERY fast. Perhaps it's same problem like a lift in Grim Fandango in not remastered versions - animation based on hardware, modern proccessors very fast, so slide appears and disappear VERY fast, too fast for human eye. But I am not sure. Anyway that glitch I was encountered only once, seems it's not regular bug. My main problem with ending slides - every time when I convince main evil guy to "just give up" and kill himself (nonviolent way to use device) game show me slides where I joined bad guy instead of slides with good ending, which have no sense at all. Others endings work fine, though.

Based on the slides I was able to see plus an Arcanum page for the slides, I think this is what I ended up with:

Shrouded Hills said:
Because you rid Shrouded Hills of Lukan and freed the ghost of Bessie Toone, the mine is reopened and a new silver vein is discovered. Shrouded Hills becomes a boom town, and because of the new sheriff Doc Roberts, it has no problems keeping the peace.

Tarant said:
Because of the death of Darian Maug, Clan Maug soon found itself overrun by Pollock and his gang and quickly vanished. Without an opponent to challenge him, Pollock set his sights beyond The Boil, and it wasn't long before all of Tarant was shadowy and crime-ridden.

Don Throgg said:
Don Throgg becomes a leading political activist for orcish rights. As a champion of equal rights, he establishes the right to vote for all citizens regardless of race or gender. He is elected to the Industrial Council, and eventually heads it.

Cumbria said:
Maximillian was returned to Dernholm and all of Cumbria rejoiced at the return of their rightful king. Under the new rule of Maximillian, Cumbria quickly grew into a powerful nation, embracing both magick and technology. And, once again, the proud banner of the Dragon Knights flew from the ramparts of Dernholm Castle, set there by their new captain, Lianna Pel-Dar.

Panarii said:
The longstanding deception of the Panarii by the dark elves was finally brought to light. Alexander became the new high priest of the Panarii, and he wrote a new chapter for the Archaeon based on his experiences with the Living One.

Black Root said:
Because you convinced the mayor of Black Root to rejoin Cumbria, there was a small struggle between Maximillian and the Industrial Council concerning ownership of the town. Maximillian was determined to defend his own, and he was successful in doing so. Under the protection of their new king, Black Root grew into one of the most important port cities in all of Arcanum.

Dwarves said:
Loghaire Thunder Stone never returned to his people, and a distraught and confused Randver assumed leadership over the Wheel Clan. Without a strong king, the dwarven clans splintered, and a bloody war followed. Magnus Shale Fist, chieftain of the new Iron Clan, rallied an army behind him and quickly put an end to the conflict. Eventually, he was known as king of the dwarves, and lead them to a new and golden age.

Bedokaan said:
The Bedokaan continued to live in the Dark Fens, fighting here and there with loggers and poachers, but mainly keeping to themselves. They continued to live the primitive lives of nomad hunters, and they never spoke with the elves of Qintarra again.

Arronax said:
Upon returning to Arcanum, Arronax buried his father on the Isle of Thanatos. Later, he traveled to the Vendigroth Wastes, and there used his powers and single-handedly raised the city from the ruins it had become. Vendigroth again became a place of awe, and wonder.

Cleveland M. Blakemore said:
Upon returning to Arcanum, you are revered as a hero, and many legends were told about your adventures and your final battle with Kerghan the Terrible. As years went by, your name became almost mythical, spoken in the same breath as the heroes of old.

Arcanum said:
Yet, after all of this, Arcanum is still what it always was: a place of possibility, a place of change. One thing is certain, and that is that nothing at all is ever certain in this place. Who's to say what the future holds for the land we call Arcanum?

But I really want to see the complete slides, else I don't feel I'm done with the game.

Efe

Erudite
Upon returning to Arcanum, you are revered as a hero, and many legends were told about your adventures and your final battle with Kerghan the Terrible. As years went by, your name became almost mythical, spoken in the same breath as the heroes of old.

Cleveland M. Blakemore huh?
is this a neanderthal mind control experiement using subliminal name placement?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Cleveland M. Blakemore huh?
is this a neanderthal mind control experiement using subliminal name placement?

rTYIsdg.png

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
But I really want to see the complete slides, else I don't feel I'm done with the game.

Which game version do you play? If you play without unofficial patches my condolences I suggest to install unofficial patch, called UAP if I remember correct (don't forget before backup saves). Or you can try to use multiverse edition, there on forum was topic with that modification. Not sure saves will work, but at least there much lesser chance to get that bug. Sometimes bugs can be individual for your configuration, like bug with disappearance captain on Half-Ogre Island, so you cannot leave that Island - it's happens randomly only with "chosen" people and nobody know why. Because source code is closed, if I am understanding correctly.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Which game version do you play? If you play without unofficial patches my condolences I suggest to install unofficial patch, called UAP if I remember correct (don't forget before backup saves). Or you can try to use multiverse edition, there on forum was topic with that modification. Not sure saves will work, but at least there much lesser chance to get that bug. Sometimes bugs can be individual for your configuration, like bug with disappearance captain on Half-Ogre Island, so you cannot leave that Island - it's happens randomly only with "chosen" people and nobody know why. Because source code is closed, if I am understanding correctly.

I wanted to play my first run through the game using the Unofficial Patch instead of the Multiverse Edition. I'll install the HiResolution patch for the game and see if I can get the slides to work properly that way (someone mentioned in the Multiverse thread that playing windowed solved their issues, but I play windowed using DXWnd and not the UAP feature).

EDIT:

YES!!!!!

Installing the HiRes Patch and setting the game to play on windowed using the vanilla resolution (though 1280x720 worked as well, even though it came with its own nasty issues when playing the cutscenes, like the UI being present on the screen as they played) I was able to see the entire slideshow without issues.

In the end, Don Throgg's slide came before Tarant's, and there was no "lauded as a hero" slide. Now I can finally put this game to rest.

:love:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom