Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FF VI which version is supreme?

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want to pick up FF VI (again) but can you guys recommend me which one to play? ROM hacks are ok too. Would like hear why one is recommended over the other. I did check the steam/android re(re)release, but it looks like it was done in RPG maker... Did they offer anything worthwhile next to ruin the sprites?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I want to pick up FF VI (again) but can you guys recommend me which one to play? ROM hacks are ok too. Would like hear why one is recommended over the other. I did check the steam/android re(re)release, but it looks like it was done in RPG maker... Did they offer anything worthwhile next to ruin the sprites?

Convenience (easy to buy and install, cloud saves across devices) is the only thing they offer, the new sprites are horrendous.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
what about translations hacks? (ones that are closer to the original Jap script) Or is the original, fine as it is.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The only choice is SNES original.

The PC remake looks like it was drawn by retarded kids in RPGMAKER.
The PSX conversion is imperfect (but close).
The GBA conversion is a step down even after patching all the problems.

The SNES translation, which was done by a linguist/karate badass, has a ton more charm than the Japanese original, which was written by Japanese autists who sleep at night crying on the bosoms of their anime girl pillows. The censorship is very very minor (pub signs changed to cafe signs), and doesn't affect the story or dialog at all.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just avoid the psx version,the loading times for something basic like accessing your inventory is insane.

Ash

Arcane
If going with the SNES version, get a mod that lets you run? Or does that make timed segments too easy?

has the best soundtrack in all videogames.

The whole series collectively. Or 5 through 10 rather.
Most hauntingly beautiful is Bran Bal though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The whole series collectively. Or 5 through 10 rather.
Most hauntingly beautiful is Bran Bal though.
Nobuo Uematsu is a great composer in general, but he outdid himself with his soundtrack for FF VI. Despite the limitations of the SNES' sound capabilities, it not only outshines all other Final Fantasy soundtracks but is probably the best soundtrack for any computer, console, or arcade game ever made. FFs IX and IV also possess great soundtracks, and VII, VIII, and X have many good tracks even if they aren't collectively as great. For that matter, Uematsu's soundtrack for the original Final Fantasy is underrated due to the sound limitations of the Famicom/NES, but it contains a number of brilliant musical ideas that can be appreciated in later remakes of the tracks --- especially Prelude and Prologue / Opening Theme which were both reprised repeatedly in later FFs, but also Matoya's Cave, the City theme, Cornelia Castle, Chaos Temple, and Gurgu Volcano; not to mention the ubiquitous Victory Fanfare.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nothing wrong with the SNES version.

If going with the SNES version, get a mod that lets you run? Or does that make timed segments too easy?

There is a relic you can equip to allow you to run which you can buy early on.

Ash

Arcane
My bad. Never played the original SNES version which I heard had no form of running, but maybe I just heard wrong.

deuxhero

Arcane
The censorship is very very minor (pub signs changed to cafe signs), and doesn't affect the story or dialog at all.
It's actually kinda inconsistent.
gvtglp.png

dqinvu.png

rfkguj.png

Brave New World is the most popular mod, and it improves things nicely, but makes it more silly and changes dialogue, adds a few small scenes/npc's etc. The added functionality to the game is unparalleled, however---most importantly with the Esper Level system added, which is perfect and amazing. I would shamelessly recommend ReturnerScum's version of "FFVI:Is The Best Game Ever" mod, which is a more "serious" mod and, unfortunately, more difficult than Brave New World.

What I don't like about Brave New World:
-Sillyness, lame jokes, pointless immersion-breaking additions to scenes, npc's, etc. There isn't a ton of it but FF3 deserves better imho.
-Documentation could be a lot better. It has items, spells, but not much else if I remember right. No change history, tips, etc.
-Considering how much they did with the game, they didn't change the characters/items that much. Unique swords don't do anything special, for example.
-Game ends a lot faster, you can just breeze right through the World of Ruin
-Abilities are much more restricted than in the original. I think mods should expand playability, the original didn't overdo it.

What I Like Better About FFVI:ITBGE Mod
-Itemization is changed a lot and gets extreme, with dilemmas in your choices of equipment (+28 to stats or HP+100%?)
-You really feel like a poor rebel in the beginning, and you end up feeling like a rich hero in a wasteland by the end
-New spells are good and pretty
-Colosseum is boss
-Characters are very different than each other. Their abilities are more interesting and gives you more options, not less.

Drawbacks of FFVI:ITBGE Mod
-It just takes longer and when you're not in the mood, fuck that game. I still don't enjoy the 3 bosses at the end of the Airship.
-Esper leveling...so uncool compared to Brave New World
-You can't just breeze through the World of Ruin. It's a struggle until you gain at least 10 levels via story progression (5-10 hours). Since there's less story in WoR, it's more Skyrim, less Squaresoft, so you try out areas and whoops they're too hard, and you die. Good items are hard to find until you get to Phoenix Cave.
-The beginning is the hardest, because you're poor and you can really die if you miss a potion, get jumped by too many creatures, are a noob, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom