Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Got my son one for his bd. So far got 1-2-Switch and Mario Cart for playing with the kids. Also looking to get Mario Rabids and Splatoon, anything else I should look at? Is the pro controller worth it?

RuySan

Augur
I thought about buying one of this to play on the go since I don't have much time to play at all, but the nintendo e-store for the switch is depressing. I'll wait a little longer.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Black Friday sale soon.

Gonna pick up a Switch then. It's pretty much a necessity to buy one. I don't even care about Odyssey, even though it looks fantastic; but I absolutely must play Metroid Prime 4, which is enough of a reason for me.
And it'll be nice to finally get around to Breath of the Wild.

My Point of View:
Nintendo: Let's make a console that changes the way a gamer plays!
Microsoft & Sony: Let's make a console that can handle better graphics and give a more cinematic experiences!

Sadly, I dont own a Switch since I bought a PS4 because Atlus, FromSoft, and Sega cant make a simple PC port, that and I know Activision is too retarded to port Crash Bandicoot.

Cruel Beans

Arbiter
My Point of View:
Nintendo: Let's make a console that changes the way a gamer plays!
Microsoft & Sony: Let's make a console that can handle better graphics and give a more cinematic experiences!

I don't think Nintendo's overly expensive, gimmicky accessories (think Wii U tablet or sliding joycon development costs that were passed down to the consumer), which exist purely to market how different they are from the competition, is what they should be praised for at all. I would have bought a beefier console with a pro controller included if I could, but this is Nintendo so I know what I am getting into.

Nintendo, as the thread title suggests, is focused on using their beloved IPs to make expertly polished games that hold up over time This is the only reason why anyone should put up with every half-assed gimmick that I (and many developers frankly) end up not using if it can be avoided entirely.

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Bought the SNES mini, played Zelda - A Link To the Past for the first time ever, my first Zelda game. And that made me get really excited about the idea of buying a Switch. Ultimately decided against it. What with Zelda & maybe Mario Odyssey being the only two games I'd ever want to play. Tried looking for more interesting games, could not find them. Too bad.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Zelda BotW and Mario Rabbids are both pretty solid titles with unexpected levels of challenge.

Mario Odyssey... not so much. I was pretty hyped for the game on release. I took it slow and just eight hours in I'm finished - not completionist, but finished. Odyssey doesn't really match the precision controls from previous Mario titles and it seems to have been designed by someone who wanted to "fix" the previous games by gimping Mario in subtle ways. I thought that maybe I just needed to play it for awhile to adjust to new physics, but even after a substantial amount of time spent with it I find the controls frustrating. The new hat "possession" mechanic distracts from the platforming focus, and this game is really nowhere near a true open-world like the new Zelda. Each of the "Kingdoms" are roughly the same size of the "Galaxies" from previous games. But the worst thing is just how easy this game is... maybe I'm just too old for this shit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that playing with the motion controls is pretty much a necessity, unlike BotW or M+R, which is a big no no for me.

Dyskolos

Cipher
SMT V is the only game announced so far that will definitely trigger my standard console acquisition practice - where a too generous happy hour preceding a weekend where my wife will be out of town ends with an impulse purchase of the system, the one game I actually want, and a handful of others that have no more than 50% chance of ever being played. It may be sooner rather than later this time if Project Octopath turns out as good in content as it looks in style.

A Switch with the two games that interest me (Mario and Zelda) would cost me an equivalent of 650 USD in my region. That's way too much. If I could pay like 400 bucks for everything I'd get it in an instant.

SMT V is the only game announced so far that will definitely trigger my standard console acquisition practice - where a too generous happy hour preceding a weekend where my wife will be out of town ends with an impulse purchase of the system, the one game I actually want, and a handful of others that have no more than 50% chance of ever being played. It may be sooner rather than later this time if Project Octopath turns out as good in content as it looks in style.

yeah

smtv....

SMT V was announced? When?

j2b2nik

Novice
really enjoyed Odyssey, picking up botw next up on black friday and hoping they will release a new animal crossing game so that I can live in a comfy fantasy village

Apparently, Playstation fanboys think Zelda and Mario are casual because they lack complex stories.
One even got mad at me for saying DO S 2 is better than Horizon Zero Dawn because he thinks games without a mature story and well made cinematics suck.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I can't fucking stop playing Zelda. Wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Seriously wtf. So far this game is nearly fucking perfect. The last game that made me want to explore its world so bad was Underrail and that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Seriously wtf. So far this game is nearly fucking perfect. The last game that made me want to explore its world so bad was Underrail and that's saying a lot.
Are you not bothered by the shitty weapon degredation system?

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Are you not bothered by the shitty weapon degredation system?

Didn't like it but didn't make a big deal about it either. Felt it was just a minor annoyance that didn't get in the way of the enjoyment.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Nintendo really stepped up their game, if all exclusives will be on the level of Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade 2, Switch might be the best console ever so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom