Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

All classic D&D games in GOG for a song

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'm guessing that most everyone on the Codex who wants those likely already has them.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I was briefly interested, but I've now learned not to buy huge stacks of games in bundles like this as all it does is make my Gog library a complete mess. From now on I'd rather buy a game for £4.99 that I'm definitely gonna play rather than buy 10 for £10 and have 9 games clogging up my library for years on end. Imagining you have a backlog is very bad for your psychology, particularly for people with a completionist mindset.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Wow, this is a really amazing deal. Just bought like 25 classic D&D games for $11.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Well, I fell for the bait. Came for the sale, ended up getting 2 games that weren't on sale. Looks like I'm the real rube here.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This looks great, to be honest I was too young to paly those games back in the day, started of with Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale right away.

I do hope, especially someone such as you, have however played a number of these older games, because many of those older games have some exceptionally well done gaming and design mechanics that many developers aren't even aware of. You can only enrich yourself by learning some great design from them.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This looks great, to be honest I was too young to paly those games back in the day, started of with Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale right away.

You should have started off with Fallout; now, you are incurable.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a hard time getting immersed in pre Pentium era graphics, but I hear great things about many of the gold box games and even in 1997 I had friends telling me to play the first Dark Sun game whenever I’d recommend Fallout. So are they worth it for someone who’s a bit of a graphics whore (admittedly only by late ‘90s standards)? If the gameplay and the writing is good enough then I think I’d be on board, but are they?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You must have a great singing voice.

You should have started off with Fallout; now, you are incurable.
Not true. I played Fallout far, far, far later than I played Baldur's Gate. Somehow, Fallout flew under my radar at the time and I never got around to playing it until much later.

almondblight

Arcane
I have a hard time getting immersed in pre Pentium era graphics, but I hear great things about many of the gold box games

There's also a lot of terrible stuff about the Goldbox games, but they usually get ignored. I bounced off PoR (generally considered to be one of the top Goldbox games) after 7-10 hours. There are some good things - the turn based DnD combat could be good, there was a decent amount of content spread around (so you'll come across bandit lairs and enemy church services), and the low level adventuring was kind of fun.

On the other hand - a lot of the combat was trash combat (the initial slums area, for instance, starts with you dealing with 10-20 mindless 1 hitpoint encounters). Some of the larger battles can really drag on, when you're waiting for, say, 35 orcs to take their turn in sequence. The navigation sucks (probably the thing that turned me off the most) - you're walking around in the first person perspective through map after map of empty mazes (there's a minimap, but it doesn't show doors). There's a lot of tedious stuff - having to select all your spells again when you want to re-memorize them, having to move the coins among your adventurers to get the weight right (coins have weight), different currencies, having to jump through a bunch of different screens to change to a missile weapon, etc. The puzzles aren't interesting - stuff like finding a scrap telling you to use map #37 in the included booklet to get through the maze in the left tower at the end of the game.

I don't know - I probably would have stuck with it if it's movement was like the overland map sections, and if it had fewer trash mob fights (I heard the later games are a lot worse with trash mobs). As it is, it seemed like an OK game but not really worth of the pedestal it gets put upon. I don't remember anything it did better than, say, KotC.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
There's also a lot of terrible stuff about the Goldbox games.

Don't believe his lies.
DwarfBoobs.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom