Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

imweasel

No, people have problems with the fact that certain NPCs tell you "go search this area for x item" or "go find this hidden thing that I could never find myself" and you instantly know its location.
Then don't use the fucking quest markers as they are completely optional. Are we going to have another KKKODEX debate of principles, "I don't like quest markers so nobody should have the option to use them either"?

Anyway, there might be a few quests where PB fucked up the description so using quest markers is necessary, but if you sperg about that then you are an idiot.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I received a key from the cleric head of the domed city after abessa conflict. The description of that quest is something like "I found a key, not sure what it opens". Oh okay, press Z to track quest then.

*big ass yellow marker appears on the map

:lol:

"Are we going to have another KKKODEX debate of principles, "I don't like quest markers so nobody should have the option to use them either"?"

"[...] f you sperg about that then you are an idiot."

Yeah, because I definitely sperged about quest markers in this thread and suggested that they should be removed. Oh wait, I didn't. I understand that reading is harder than simply assuming the other person's position but one could try.

For example, I tried actually reading your post and I have discovered something interesting:

Then don't use the fucking quest markers as they are completely optional.

Anyway, there might be a few quests where PB fucked up the description so using quest markers is necessary

I rest my case.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
A short comment on combat.

Combat should definitely not be defended for being realistic. In a modern reality ranged weapons win. Period.

Combat should feel authentic. Authentic means that the combat *mechanics* should feel real. It should give you the feel of using the real thing without being as clunky and hard to use as the real thing itself. Compare this to flight simulators vs. arcade dogfighters a la Freelancer.

Combat should feel dangerous. Every enemy should feel capable of hurting you and draining your resources. It should feel tense.Even against "weak" enemies, a stray hit should feel meaningful.

Finally, it should be responsive. I mean it should be like a dance step where each move that you/enemy makes should have a counter move/s or change in the pattern. Just looking at the Cyclops ELEX combat video reminds me of Risen 2, which is a bad thing. The cyclops has a fixed set of moves and all you need to do is know the algorithm. The Cyclops cannot do a lot of moves so essentially the combat devolves into a repetitive poke in the ass until HP drops affair from Dark Souls.

Of these Risen/Elex seems to be guilty of the third. Generally, that is a bad deal as it can make the gameplay repetitive and only other elements of the game such as exploration and C&C can save it.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
For people who get bored fighting by kiting and hitting 300 times to kill one powerful enemy, um...dont fight them?

Probably saves you more time actually to just come back later.

And as I say just join a faction. You miss like 5 quests but get access to a whole new lineup of powers, if you dont want to flee and scavenge for 20 hours while kiting trolls for 30 mins while saving all your attrib points or whatnot.

imweasel

For people who get bored fighting by kiting and hitting 300 times to kill one powerful enemy, um...dont fight them?

No man, everything has to fall over when you blow on it like in retard proof "RPGs" like Skyrim.

Then don't use the fucking quest markers as they are completely optional.

Anyway, there might be a few quests where PB fucked up the description so using quest markers is necessary

I rest my case.
:roll:

There are well over 300 quests and objectives in the game, but the sperging retard is gonna sperg if he needs to use the quest markers to solve some of them for whatever reason. Even if it is just a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

And as I say just join a faction. You miss like 5 quests but get access to a whole new lineup of powers, if you dont want to flee and scavenge for 20 hours while kiting trolls for 30 mins while saving all your attrib points or whatnot.

Actually, an enemy that can be tackled by kiting-like tactics is not powerful. Elex itself has examples of enemies that avoid you if you try to get too close. That is good design right there. The badly designed ones simply have a very restricted AI but a big HP pool.

Tigranes

Arcane
??? Sure, but thats not what we're talking about. I'm saying unless you specifically enjoy it, fighting those fat hp enemies with your starting weapon at level 5 is completely unnecessary.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
??? Sure, but thats not what we're talking about. I'm saying unless you specifically enjoy it, fighting those fat hp enemies with your starting weapon at level 5 is completely unnecessary.
Well, that's what *i* was talking about. But if you were talking about something else, carry on.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
dragonul09 USE FUCKING SPOILERS!

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU,YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE ITEMS THAT YOU GET FROM THE SAFE IN THE ORIGINS TOWN? ALRIGHT THEN

500 elexit
Amulet of Wanderlust +10 Maximum ,+25 frost resist
Researchers Note
Also, Falk is a computer.
To be fair, you have to be completely fucking retarded to not figure that out 5 minutes after meeting him. I don't mind the character as such, and he's probably actually my favourite so far, but fucking hell they could not have made it more obvious. The only thing that threw me off is how he gets Calaan wrong at first - not a very android-like quality, mispronouncing things that have been relayed to him. They should've just made him stutter it or something, like having him consistently say Cal-Calaan or something. Having him say Kal-ern or whatever, first consistently, and then consistently switch over to the correct Calaan was pretty shit.
I suppose quest markers are optional in the same sense that fast travel is but many quests don't have adequate directions because they were designed with magic quest markers in mind.

"many"

jesus christ you people
You're right. It's actually "most". People are reaching too fucking hard to defend decline mechanics.

Jinn

Arcane
Okay. Give me 30 examples.

I'll be waiting.

That's not even "most" as far as I know. There are at least 300 quests in ELEX according to a steam achievement.

But I'd be interested in seeing 30.

EDIT: Sorry, this thread just started moving fast and I didn't see someone already mentioned how many quests there are.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I received a key from the cleric head of the domed city after abessa conflict. The description of that quest is something like "I found a key, not sure what it opens". Oh okay, press Z to track quest then.

*big ass yellow marker appears on the map

:lol:
I still think that the best one is:
When you're sent to see what happens to Stormson, and it turns out that the guards were killed (presumably by Stormson) and Stormson is msising.

This will trigger the quest "Missing Without a Trace" when you report back to Angrim, who has no idea at the time where Stormson even is, and wants him killed for this crime (even though there's no evidence he actually killed the guards, although it's a solid assumption).

This gives you a big quest marker tracing him straight to the top of a volcano to the Hort in fucking Ignadon, in the HQ of the Clerics, where Stormson now works in a mine for the Clerics.

Jinn

Arcane
Stormson's whereabouts are suppose to be a mystery. That's why there are no directions to his location. However, if you're following the quest to join the Berserkers by visiting other faction cities, chances are you'll run into him. Maybe there is even someone in the world who can point you in the right direction?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't fully agree, Stormson cried decline and wanted to shoot people with laser rifle all the time. So it's not a mystery at all, even if we don't know where exactly he is. The whereabouts of his caravan is what makes little sense.

Okay. Give me at least 30 examples.

I'll be waiting.
Write your review yourself, you lazy bum.

Doktor Best

Arcane
People also dont seem to get that not every quest is supposed to be given with directions.

"I was super blackout drunk last night and lost my pants, can you find them?" Is not supposed to be followed with a detailed description of where to find them.

You just accept the quest and continue your journey. Think of it as a passive quest of some sort. Maybe you will stumble across them as you explore the area, maybe another quest will lead you near there. If that doesnt happen, well i guess Mr Hasselhoff will have to buy a new pair of pants. No big deal.

As Roxor said, i would be surprised if you could even Name 30 quests that lack accurate descriptions where it even makes sense in the context to get them. Heck, ill lower the amount to 15 even.

Its also not like Gothic 1+2 had those kind of descriptions for every quest.

Ah and protip: You can show the quest dialogue in the questlog. Sometimes when i was out of clue i just forgot minor details from the conversation.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't fully agree, Stormson cried decline and wanted to shoot people with laser rifle all the time. So it's not a mystery at all, even if we don't know where exactly he is.

Agree with that and find that it's a good example of the inherent logic of a lot of quests in this game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Stormson's whereabouts are suppose to be a mystery. That's why there are no directions to his location. However, if you're following the quest to join the Berserkers by visiting other faction cities, chances are you'll run into him. Maybe there is even someone in the world who can point you in the right direction?
Yeah, that's how the quest should've been designed, I agree, if the developers were actually competent. Relying on a quest compass system when it makes no fucking sense is incredibly lazy, although you'll hardly see the plebs accept anything without it, these days.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, that's how the quest should've been designed, I agree, if the developers were actually competent. Relying on a quest compass system when it makes no fucking sense is incredibly lazy, although you'll hardly see the plebs accept anything without it, these days.

My point is that since the quest marker is completely optional, that it isn't designed around it. The way I described it is actually how it was designed, with a compass option for plebs unfortunately also in place. You can easily complete that quest in a natural way, just as I did in during my playthrough. You just have to continue your exploration of the world.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't fully agree, Stormson cried decline and wanted to shoot people with laser rifle all the time. So it's not a mystery at all, even if we don't know where exactly he is.
This is true, however, just because he himself wanted to check out technology doesn't mean that he was liberated by Clerics. It's a tremendous leap of logic. While there's nothing wrong with that outcome in itself (just like there wouldn't have been anything wrong with him being liberated by Outlaws and then made his own way to the Hort, for example), simply assuming that he's with the Clerics, to the point of flat-out placing the quest marker in the middle of the fucking Hort is complete nonsense.[/QUOTE]
Just like tons of the quest markers, like when you're sent to a location such as the Old Factory (a quest from Anna at the Hort) and it just happens to lead straight to a fucking piece of paper there. I wasn't even tracking it at the time, I only realized it because the quest updated and I was like "Wait, wut?" and loaded. A complete overreliance on quest markers is pure and unmitigated :decline:.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The fact that you can turn something off DOES NOT mean game was designed without it in mind. Otherwise developers would be 100% sure about their design and would not include it at all. But they did. And they are not even sure themselves what they wanted with something big as stats. They added compass just like they added teleports and beds with infinite hp and mana. You may want to pretend game is more hardcore and say you may not use teleports and beds just as you can turn off compass, but that's just that - pretending.

Some quests can be completed natural way. Some, like many main storyline quests, are just "updated my journal go find that thing somewhere".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but the quest compass is turned off by default, you actually have to turn it on if you are too fucking dumb or impatient to finish something by yourself

still waiting for my 30 examples though, and rating me "butthurt" because you're full of shit is not going to make your argument any better Luckmann

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom