Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chris Avellone might be teasing new Fallout

Iznaliu

Arbiter
yesterday my birthday, and now this.

Pretty soon I won't be able to make it up my stairs and my family will will have to find me a bottom floor studio and will periodically send the kids over to make sure old uncle did not fall and become immobile again. Everything really is turning to shit I suppose...

This is Bethesda's latest marketing campaign for Fallout: New Orleans.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
DG5XUCKVYAAN9xw.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
I thought his writing in Dead Money was strong throughout (using the extra descriptive text for Christine is very much in the spirit of classic Fallout).

Old World Blues was more of a mixed bag, but entertaining nonetheless. It also had a bit of tragedy\pathos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xdbVHbWo0

Trashos

Arcane
I thought his writing in Dead Money was strong throughout (using the extra descriptive text for Christine is very much in the spirit of classic Fallout).

Agree, Dead Money was awesome. Lots of its moments have stayed with me. The characters, the atmosphere, the tension when trying to hide from the holograms or looking for the non-beeping sweetspot, the overarching story, running for my life while everything is exploding around me (bloody excellent execution!), even the ending slides with the beautiful voice over. If Dead Money was not as frustrating for many due to its difficulty, I think we would be talking about it much more.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I'm curious, I like very much the classics that he worked on, and I saw sometimes in some threads in here that same question, but never saw any good answer for that, at least that I can remember: What was the best thing that he did in the write department in the last five years or so, and for what matters, that best is actually any good? I only can think of the general idea of Durance from pillars, that one is a good character, but he didn't wrote the actual lines, did he?

Trashos

Arcane
I'm curious, I like very much the classics that he worked on, and I saw sometimes in some threads in here that same question, but never saw any good answer for that, at least that I can remember: What was the best thing that he did in the write department in the last five years or so, and for what matters, that best is actually any good? I only can think of the general idea of Durance from pillars, that one is a good character, but he didn't wrote the actual lines, did he?

He wrote Durance and Grieving Mother for PoE. IIRC both these characters were cut to size by other writers, but still they are quite obviously MCA characters. Pretty sure he is happy with Durance, he uses him as an avatar here.

Although it does not fall exactly in the specified time frame, he wrote Cassidy for New Vegas. And while he was "only" lead designer for the New Vegas dlc, I believe his touch is evident on some of the writing. But I could be wrong. Wish I knew exactly who wrote what in NV.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fun fact: Fallout 3 was the LAST Bethesda Developed game I have ever played (and finished). All that fucking shit garbage ever since, I have never touched, or ever will. :salute:
We need a 'tryhard' rating.

Fairfax

Arcane
For PoE he created Durance and the Grieving Mother (which he says got 3/4 of his content cut from the game).

As far as writing goes, he designed and wrote some of the FTL: AE events (which were cool), designed the companion Erritis in TTON (but didn't write his dialogue AFAIK), and wrote some (5?) characters in Prey. I know two are Dayo Igwe and Mikhaila Ilyushin. I haven't played it, so I don't know if they were good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
designed the companion Erritis in TTON
That explains why he was the only interesting character that i had .

Rev

Arcane
I know two are Dayo Igwe and Mikhaila Ilyushin. I haven't played it, so I don't know if they were good.
Prey doesn't have truly outstanding characters, as it is a lot more focused on level design and also most of the characters don't get a lot of screentime, but I think they were good enough, or at least they worked in the context of the game. But to be honest none of them seem "Avellonian", and I wouldn't even know he worked on the project unless he told us so.
The game is really good by the way, if you like that kind of games and/or Arkane's works: level design is outstanding, the setting is cool and the narrative is not weak either.

Fairfax

Arcane
But to be honest none of them seem "Avellonian", and I wouldn't even know he worked on the project unless he told us so.
He didn't come up with their concepts, so that might be the reason.

ArchAngel

Arcane
But to be honest none of them seem "Avellonian", and I wouldn't even know he worked on the project unless he told us so.
Last time he was handed premade characters to write about we got NWN2 OC NPCS :(

Seems now he comes up with the concept of characters or writes about other people's concepts.. nothing of his own where he gets to do it all :decline:

Fairfax

Arcane
Last time he was handed premade characters to write about we got NWN2 OC NPCS :(

Seems now he comes up with the concept of characters or writes about other people's concepts.. nothing of his own where he gets to do it all :decline:
It's different, though. In NWN2's case, he had to work on those characters. As a freelancer, he gets the chance to see if he likes the characters before agreeing to write them. He said that was the case with Prey.

Rev

Arcane
By the way, aside from Pathfinder: Kingmaker and probably something with Bethesda, what do we know of Avellone's future collaborations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom