Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

ortucis

Prophet
Witcher 3 Seems like the inversion of that - where they gave you all the clues you need but then had to make everything Glow and Interactable.

God I find that fucking annoying. Every fucking game these days has the "GLOW VISION" where you spend whole game turning it on/off every few seconds else you'll miss something. Witcher 3 gave me a fucking headache just doing this so many times, I just started ignoring the pickables. Same case in Batman games too.

They can fix this by simply having a "sparkle" on an item every few seconds, like Resident Evil or some older games did. Why the fuck do I have to go around in some retard vision when the simple sparkle could lead me to items instantly?

Good thing there was no such bullshit in ELEX, else I would've been pissed.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Even final boss is like that.

The only one type of enemy like that I like are the big mechas. Because when you get close to them they fly in the air and shoot you. It's p. neat.
Too bad that last time I saw that happen was at lvl 10 and since then I've just shot them 4 times with my EMP and they've been stunlocked like anyone else.

I maintain that Elex has the worst combat of any CRPG - possibly of any game - that I've played in the last 10 years.
Edit: Except maybe some really, really fringe cases, like Tides of Numenera, I guess.
Btw, why are you saying that dialogue checks don't change anything? I'm at Great Lift location, quest about
missing gear from lift
and if you pass all 3 checks, you'll get different view on that quest.
I think that the vast majority of checks in Elex are shit, because they actually don't change a single thing, other than you sometimes getting some extra elexit even when it makes no sense whatsoever, and some experience, but the one you mention is pretty OK, and there's a few situations like that, where it doesn't change anything in a tangible fashion, but at least gives you a different perspective or some added information.

That's pretty cool, and an acceptable way to use persuasion mechanics, I think.

But most of the checks are not like that. There's even Rank 20 checks that change nothing other than giving you an extra 200 elexit or something, and the check is basically "Are we done here?", and your conversation partner says "Yes." in a roundabout manner. It's fucking weird. It's like they had they have checks like that just to make people want to get to that rank, but if you actually are at that rank and can take those options, it amounts to fucking nothing.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, about combat.
Ultra, broad sword, no perks, can win against Rant version of Biter, Critter, Mass Rat, Spine Hound, also Old Skex, and usual Critter.
Probably can win Troll too, but that's just too long and thus pointless. Won one Reaver fight, he was with club?

Also, looks like devs assumed for us that first we'll explore location near Great Lift - there are many Rant creatures.

Edit: Aslo - without shield.

Last edited:

Volken

Scholar
A note on quest design and directions to your objective. I was the shoutboxer Blaine referred to who said I've been able to complete every quest I've received through directions in dialogue and general exploration, and I have indeed. That said, when I am playing this game, I am playing it like a classic PB game in that I explore every new area I enter fully to the best of my ability. If you get vague directions, think of why that might be in context. You might just have to actually explore an area without being given absolutely precise coordinates or directions. If I recall correctly, there were a number of instances where this was the case in both Gothic 1 and 2. Of course there are the cases in the Hort where directions are uploaded to your map, but I think that is more a world logic thing than laziness (maybe it's both?), though I've only seen this a couple times even in the Hort, so if you're looking to play a Cleric you can still get a lot of interesting and intuitive quest design.

If you can't find a quest location from directions right away, sometimes you're suppose to go with the flow and explore. The game has eventually led me to my goal one way or another. Don't indulge in the checklist mentality of modern quest design and it probably won't bother you if it takes awhile to find what you're looking for. If this bothers you, turn on quest markers. They provided that option just for you.

If you carefully scout the map the way you are describing then you can do any quest without even reading what's it about. Just spam right-click on every lootable object/NPC you find and you gonna beat the game. You can't fail quests unless you deliberately kill all NPCs so this is extremely streamlined intuitive and interesting quest design. ;)

Also, what's the point of exploration if most of the time the rewards are cigarettes/toilet paper/dried meat/1 fucking elexite piece? Is it hand placing useless loot so you can brag about hand placed loot in your game description?

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
If you carefully scout the map the way you are describing then you can do any quest without even reading what's it about. Just spam right-click on every lootable object/NPC you find and you gonna beat the game. You can't fail quests unless you deliberately kill all NPCs so this is extremely streamlined intuitive and interesting quest design. ;)

Eagerly awaiting that LP ;)

Also, what's the point of exploration if most of the time the rewards are cigarettes/toilet paper/dried meat/1 fucking elexite piece? Is it hand placing useless loot so you can brag about hand placed loot in your game description?

I've found a number of powerful weapons, rings, and amulets in my explorations. Felt rewarding enough to me. Not to mention a great deal of herbs, trophies, and components to use in my chemistry and equipment improvements. There is a fair amount of environmental storytelling, which I also find interesting. It all has me pretty satisfied.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The weathered pictures quest chain was pretty boss. Chromanin with pictures! It also is the DEEPEST LORE quest to the point that I felt it should affect the ending.

Regarding Calaan:
I am glad the higher ups of the clerics know that Calaan is just a rocket and Reinhold drops the facade when confronted by this. Makes the faction seem more coherent.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The weathered pictures quest chain was pretty boss. Chromanin with pictures! It also is the DEEPEST LORE quest to the point that I felt it should affect the ending.

Regarding Calaan:
I am glad the higher ups of the clerics know that Calaan is just a rocket and Reinhold drops the facade when confronted by this. Makes the faction seem more coherent.

"God isn't real but the myth has value"

PB missed the boat on that trope by at least 10 years.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Regarding Calaan:

"God isn't real but the myth has value"

PB missed the boat on that trope by at least 10 years.

The writing is generally horrible so you take what you can get :M

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Melee combat is indeed getting a bit repetitive. I'm hopelessly underleveled and underequipped and can still beat the crap out of some of those berserkers like the main gate guard or that tavern keeper.
It takes forever but jumping past them is a pretty safe and stamina-saving alternative to rolling around in the mud. And as long as you don't use strong attacks you can stunlock them with your attacks most of the time and then press Q when the HUD says so. Turns out that deactivating target lock solved all my problems.
So I ran circles around a few low level mobs which made fights piss easy. Didn't try to fight anything higher level than what I think is called horn wolves outside the town though. But so far the AI seems like a lost cause.
And videos like that fight against that mutant giant that was posted 2 pages before make it look like a travesty. You couldn't run circles around enemies in the Gothics. Target lock made sure of that. Here you can deactivate it. Which seems like a piss poor idea now because the AI looks like it's still the same.

I still enjoy the game but I think I have to take back my first impressions about that combat system. It's indeed rather shit.
The world building is good for what it is so far (I could do without magic tbh, also factions seem to be there because reasons not because they actually make any sense), dialogue is servicable but a joke compared to Witcher 3 (but what mainstream game isn't), and the art is all over the place. Those forest soil textures give me eye cancer, a lot of stuff is really low res, colors are nice, atmosphere too ... every human NPC is a clone, but guys look good, then again women are fugly and behave in ridiculous ways ... is everyone working at PB a grand wizard? Seems like it. :lol:

Will explore the wilderness next. I really hope that mobs there pose a challenge again because I doubt that the story alone will keep me hooked. It's not bad so far but the different elements don't really click together.
Well, the character progression is nice so there's that.

Whatever, mods patches will fix it!
:bunkertime:

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Many many people have commented that the combat just feels bad. Here's why:

While I somewhat agree with your arguments, I just can not see why combat in this game is better.
That artificial gamy slowdown when you do combo... that's bad, absolutely bad.

If you've actually played games with good combat on the other hand, you can tell that Elex has garbage combat.

imweasel

Today on the Sperg-DEX:

1. You can have laser guns, spaceships, robots and all sorts of fucking advanced technology, but having an NPC point at a location on the holographic map that shoots out of your pip boy arm implant is an advanced technique that nobody in the year 3000+ could possibly be proficient in. Not to mention that quest markers are completely optional.

2. Even after getting raped by spine hounds 25 times in a row, some Codexers refuse to accept that Elex is an RPG, which means that combat is largely based on character skill. Instead of just leveling up and building his character he will sperg "I DIE BECUZ GAM HAZ BAD KOMBAT HURR".

Git gud and L2P.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You can have laser guns, spaceships, robots and all sorts of fucking advanced technology, but having an NPC to point at a location on the holographic map that shoots of your pip boy arm implant is an advanced technique that nobody in the year 3000+ could possibly be proficient in. Not to mention that quest markers are completely optional.

Git gud and L2P.

No, people have problems with the fact that certain NPCs tell you "go search this area for x item" or "go find this hidden thing that I could never find myself" and you instantly know its location.

I suppose quest markers are optional in the same sense that fast travel is but many quests don't have adequate directions because they were designed with magic quest markers in mind.

Nice strawman though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, some of the quests should at most mark a general area for you to search. Not pinpoint its exact location. I've used markers for a few objects I need to fight. Like the large liquor. My eye sight doesn't help. I could have used the sunglasses that highlights items, though.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I've used markers for a few objects I need to fight. Like the large liquor.

Yeah, I tried fighting the liquor many years ago but it was too large for me and always won. I accepted my fate and now I just enjoy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom