Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
Big Bang fight is unbeatable for melee builds. It kills instantly no matter the armour and resistance you have. Nice design.
i used the flamethrower that was conveniently placed next to one of the bomb components.

that “thing” clearly was a case of “kill it fire”

it was embarassing easily to kill no idea if they have done it vulnerable to fire or similar

Tigranes

Arcane
Even as a melee berserker you probably have fire fist, with that and a few mana pots you are fine if you cant melee it.

Definitely meleeable though.

First time i tried jumping om it to pull its small bug part out. Heh.

Cromwell

Arcane
I gave in and bought it and played for a bit. Is it confirmed that Stats do nothing and are only there as gate for better equipment and skills and the tooltipps are definetly wrong?

imweasel

People who think Skyrim's combat is better than Elex' combat should be given an appropriate tag.
bethestard.png

Volken

Scholar
I have 55h played on Ultra as a malee/magic build and honestly the combat system just doesn't click for me. With some min-maxing I can beat skull-lvl frost trolls or similar enemies with my lvl 15 character because the AI is so simple and easy to cheese. Combat system is the weakest point of Elex and I have no idea why are you defending it so valiantly. Just circle around the mob and it solves 90% of encounters, for the rest you need a shield which in 99% cases blocks all melee damage even with 0 stamina. For swarms spam instant-knockdown AoE. It's just meh. I don't expect it to be Dark Souls combat level but movesets and AI behaviour are atrocious.

Elex :4/5: Elex combat :1/5:

The whole idea of combat performance measured by character strenght and not by player skill is fine and dandy but it doesn't feel right if the AI is retarded and you can beat it no matter what. Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that humanoid AI is completely handicapped compared to monster AI. If you want serviceable companion bring the droid not the humanoids because they simply suck.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished it. 57 hours. Had fun, pretty addictive, enjoyed the story and world. Combat was clunky but you get used to it.

These are the stats you need to max all skills in all categories other than the two locked classes. I even had plenty of money to spare. I did not abuse the infinite cash trick with energy potions, all I did was get Animal Trophy 3 fairly early and thoroughly explored the world. I also backtracked each chapter to areas where I knew Mutants spawned to harvest lots of free elex. It was still a balancing act to keep my cold level from getting to high, and I wasn't really able to reach this point until I had endgame-level gear and it didn't matter anyway.

I tried to focus on melee most of the game but by the end I was using ranged attacks all the time. The 'One with the weapon' skill was just too good to pass up. Made the whole endgame a complete breeze.

I was particularly disappointed with the dialogue skill checks. All the skill checks were basically in the beginning of the game, before I had any of the skills unlocked. I was looking forward to some super hard dialogue checks during the story quests that might lead to some alternate paths, but that was all Cold levels instead. So the dialogue check system is almost entirely worthless.
Interesting post.
First let me ask:
What's clunky about combat? I felt that aiming in the right direction in melee was a bit awkward, but I attributed this to it not being Gothic and me being shit at it so I need to git gud.
Other than that actions take time and you can't whirl around and kill everything in seconds like in Ass Creed. And attacking while moving is not possible so no float combat like Skyrim. So it looks more like Dark Souls and less like popamole so far.
And I felt a bit overwhelmed at first with that stamina bar and timed attacks and 3 different attack types, one with a high stamina requirement. But I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it.

The other part I quoted makes it sound like this game doesn't really profit from min maxing attributes. Which would be a shame so I hope it isn't true.
And I hope the dialogue checks get patched, I'm so tired of dump stats in games.

Volken

Scholar
First let me ask:
What's clunky about combat? I felt that aiming in the right direction in melee was a bit awkward, but I attributed this to it not being Gothic and me being shit at it so I need to git gud.
Other than that actions take time and you can't whirl around and kill everything in seconds like in Ass Creed. And attacking while moving is not possible so no float combat like Skyrim. So it looks more like Dark Souls and less like popamole so far.
And I felt a bit overwhelmed at first with that stamina bar and timed attacks and 3 different attack types, one with a high stamina requirement. But I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it.

The other part I quoted makes it sound like this game doesn't really profit from min maxing attributes. Which would be a shame so I hope it isn't true.
And I hope the dialogue checks get patched, I'm so tired of dump stats in games.

Player weapon movesets and spells are interesting and that's cool but combat is nothing compared to Dark Souls where enemies have varied movesets and react accordingly to player actions. In Elex you circle around a single mob or spam aoe knock downs for groups. There is no finesse or any thought in the process. While in theory you could pull some cool moves with varied player moveset in practice monster AI / humanoid AI (even worse) is so dumb it just doesn't matter.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I finished game this night at about level 40, with 10 levels gained from quest missions. I only maxed PSI and ranged weapons - 80/80 or so Dex/Int build with strength for late regent's energy sword for trash mobs. Also had last tier plasma rifle and all spells including One with Weapon which makes plasma rifle 3-shot most things. Final boss I just bashed in the face with energy sword while shielded up with psi.

I found plot to be eh. Hybrid's dialogue is short and not very interesting. Whatever you do there doesn't feel that impactful. I had all factions survive and be friendly to me in the end. But there wasn't any faction work, quests or C&C inside the chain of main quests at all, it felt on rails. And ending is a sequel bait.

Jax's monologues spilling everything out for player in cutscenes multiple times doesn't work as well as when you figure out things for yourself. They tried to do the Infinite Skies/Fallout 1 Glow info hunt but ended up making it feel like it is spoonfed to the player instead of actual discovery. Quest compass cutscene yada yada.

Best moment in the game was Ray playing the hero. Lucky bastard.

All and all, I liked the beginning and possibilities of it in this game, but everything after that was pretty forgettable. I don't think I'll ever replay it even for c&c since neither exploration (more cigarettes from chests and funny photos) or combat (you're either fucked in the ass or a demigod of death) or even character building (use those 1-2 weapons and armor whole game, all stats and most skills don't even contribute anything to the actual game at all) are any fun. New Vegas did all this shit better.

Some other things I thought were done well are, surprisingly, characters and their faces, voice acting and their dialogue. Faces in this game are all samey but they are really not bad, better than bioware stuff and some are very pleasant. VO I felt did good job. And for a world of vikings, outlaws and BoS fanatics, there never was any hysterical or completely idiotic overdramatic writing I think. Even completely retarded characters like Nasty did not offend me for some reason. I think it's something to do with generally not over the top writing and more or less believeable personalities. Game seems to be very chill about it's characters.

Last edited:

imweasel

Player weapon movesets and spells are interesting and that's cool but combat is nothing compared to Dark Souls where enemies have varied movesets and react accordingly to player actions.

You probably should't be comparing Darks Souls to an open world RPG like Elex. They are completely different beasts.

Anyway, the game could indeed use more move sets for enemies so that combat would be less repetitive, but that still doesn't make the combat bad. It is just mediocre. IMO most of the fun from combat comes from building your character and watching him get stronger, so that he can eventually beat the shit out of everything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Combat system is the weakest point of Elex and I have no idea why are you defending it so valiantly.

Some of them defend it because they won't tolerate any criticism of a game they enjoy; others do it because they genuinely don't know any better (i.e. they've never played an excellent and proper hard action game with tight and fluid movement and controls); still others want to score Kool Kredits by high-fiving each other about perceived incline and teaming up to bully anyone who disagrees. The latter is futile, since I have a monopoly on Kool Kredits.

The incline-signaling is amusing, because this game has quest markers and a quest compass, a clear symptom of decline. A certain someone claimed in the Shoutbox that they're unnecessary and that the player always receives sufficient information to do without them, so I'm keeping an eye on this as I continue to play the game in order to determine whether or not he's full of shit. ELEX also has fairly ubiquitous instant fast travel that can be used freely.

Still, the combat isn't in-your-face terrible from what I've experienced of it so far. It's just mediocre and janky. At least it's not an endless journey of despair and suffering (the bad kind, not the good kind) as was the case with Arcanum.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Combat system is the weakest point of Elex and I have no idea why are you defending it so valiantly.

Some of them defend it because they won't tolerate any criticism of a game they enjoy; others do it because they genuinely don't know any better (i.e. they've never played an excellent and proper hard action game with tight and fluid movement and controls); still others want to score Kool Kredits by high-fiving each other about perceived incline and teaming up to bully anyone who disagrees. The latter is futile, since I have a monopoly on Kool Kredits.

The incline-signaling is amusing, because this game has quest markers and a quest compass, a clear symptom of decline. A certain someone claimed in the Shoutbox that they're unnecessary and that the player always receives sufficient information to do without them, so I'm keeping an eye on this as I continue to play the game in order to determine whether or not he's full of shit. ELEX also has fairly ubiquitous instant fast travel that can be used freely.

Still, the combat isn't in-your-face terrible from what I've experienced of it so far. It's just mediocre and janky. At least it's not an endless journey of despair and suffering (the bad kind, not the good kind) as was the case with Arcanum.

What would you personally consider a good action combat design? Any examples?

Kitchen Utensil

Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Nioh... pretty much anything. But it's not so much a problem with the design; I actually agree with Luckmann, it's the implementation of the combat system that is shit.
Just because it's supposed to be RPG based action combat, as in PC skill > player skill, doesn't mean it has to be so unresponsive and clunky.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The incline-signaling is amusing, because this game has quest markers and a quest compass, a clear symptom of decline.
Feel free not to use them since they are completely optional.
They really aren't (quick example - Stormson quest part 1).

Game is either designed with or without markers from the ground up. Elex was not designed like that, not 100% of it.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Technomancer is a terrible game but it feels much more responsive and fluid in combat than ELEX.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I gave in and bought it and played for a bit. Is it confirmed that Stats do nothing and are only there as gate for better equipment and skills and the tooltipps are definetly wrong?
Yes. Developers said so. I asked them during a live chat.
That's weird because I seen a developer posting on forum they do something minor.

Elex

Arbiter
sometime quest marker make sense: “i give you the coordinates!!” other quest make no sense “find this guy nobody can find”
they could have implement an area marker thar showthe area to search.

teleport are fine: for example the dome city teleport connected to the hort.
what is not explained is if there is a limit or if jax have some special implant for use them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He was wrong. They do nothing.
God, why do you keep doubting this - a casual google will not only find the source, but multiple.
Also just playing the game will show you, too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That directly contradicts what the lead developer said (multiple times in fact, so often it was picked up by gaming magazines).

Anyway, if it does, it's so tiny it makes 0 difference.

I'd rather believe my own experience and the LEAD DEVELOPER than some grunt dev shitposting on a forum. Who knows, maybe he actually did make attributes do something but it was removed in a future commit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

NeoGaff has eaten into my time of shitting on this game.
Seeing the RPGCodex turn into a limp wristed circle jerk though.. is pretty hilarious.

Just goes to show every community has their golden cow idols.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Nobody is saying the combat system is great. But compared to other actionrpgs it is above average and clearly an incline towards PB's last two games.
It is leagues above Skyrim, which is the most boring spamclicking ever where you wave swords and axes through the air which magically strike your opponents (who dont even flinch most of the time) without really worrying about wether your hits connect or not. There is no demanding of reading enemy movement patterns (which elex does), there is no demanding of proper positioning so youre not too close or too far away from your opponent (which elex does), there is no real timing involved. And yet people claim that it is superior. Why would that be? Could it be that Skyrims combat simply doesnt get in the way of the game as it is completely devoid of challenge?

I would say Elex is about on the same level as Witcher 2 or Fallout New Vegas when strictly talking about the technical and mechanical aspects of combat design. Its mediocre but it gets the job done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom