Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Version 1.1.0 changelog

Content
- Added 4 new items
- Added 3 new technologies

Bug fixes
- Fixed boss multiplication after fleeing from defenses
- Fixed Bolgia causing the game to freeze during combat
- Fixed random explore event resulting in negative/zero barricade health
- Fixed glitch in 'Gone with a bang' mission (Kowloon area) leading to mission failure despite requirements being met

Misc
- Diplomat skill also affect team slot unlocking costs
- Corrected minor typos
- Added credit symbol in recruit cost of member recruitment panel

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Once again, I've set up a 2-week sales starting October 2 and lasting 14 days. Discount is -60%.

Also, has any of you actually gotten and played the game? If so, and if you liked it, consider leaving a thumbs up review! The game has slipped in the "Mixed" reviews limbo a few days ago so if anyone from around here had a good time and wants to offset reviews such as these

qb9oAMA.png

(ie: I can't win by clicking 3 times), now it's a good time to do so!

PS What is even more embarrassing is that I was eventually pushed to add a "Relaxed" mode where the game is easier. At least now negative reviews are only about the game being boring, yay!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are you sure you are asking in the right place? This site chose The Witcher 3 as GotY for 2016.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, these Mixed/Mostly Pos/Very Pos/etc. ratings are extremely harmful.
Why not just show the percentage number? 69% I wouldn't consider bad, but Mixed makes it sound like only half the people who played it liked it.
Well, Steam gotta Steam...

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Are you sure you are asking in the right place? This site chose The Witcher 3 as GotY for 2016.
Well played! But in all honesty, although I don't expect Codexia to like a stupid little game made by one guy, the philosophy behind it (oldschool design, disregard for modern "difficulty", unable to load a previous state if you fuck up etc) is closer to the codex than to a pure popamole forum. I hope.

My avatar and nickname weren't chosen randomly: I create my games with a very specific mindset, Hell, I'm currently making a cutesy-looking on the outside farming sim where you can royally fuck up, kill people and miss the entire main plot if you don't pay attention. I am already wincing at the amount of future negative reviews saying "Ur gaem has no pets I wanted a puppeh!"

Man, these Mixed/Mostly Pos/Very Pos/etc. ratings are extremely harmful.
Why not just show the percentage number? 69% I wouldn't consider bad, but Mixed makes it sound like only half the people who played it liked it.
Well, Steam gotta Steam...
I don't think Emerge is a game that can be objectively rated above the "Mixed - Mostly positive" range. It was a conscious decision to make a game that targets a niche market. Not everybody like a turn-based part that plays like an 80's fantasy board game with tiles, and not everybody likes clicky defense combat. But most important of all, not everyone has the time available to sit down and get fucked 10 times until they learn how to play.

So yeah, you'll get comments that the game is "unfair", "unbalanced", "the RNG doesn't work as intended" (WTF? have those people ever played XCOM or any game with a percentage?), while at the same time there are strategy guides on Steam with advice on how to plow through the game like a champ.

But the negative reviews that bug me the most are the ones about how the game "doesn't let you and your automated defenses fight the zombies at the same time". Well, many people aren't good at real-time shooting, or they find it tiresome or too demanding. So I implemented an "automated defense" system, where you research and build turrets, flamethrowers etc. When an enemy army marches on a block you own, these defenses soften them up (or completely destroy them), so you won't have to combat so many zombies if you're not good at it or you don't like it. People can focus heavily on automated defenses and fight much, much less manually, or people can completely ignore them and focus on real-time combat skills: Both approaches are effective and are constructed with a specific purpose.

But no! I WANT TEH ZOMBIEH MAYHEM WHERE ME MY BUDDIES AND 1232345235 TURRETS KILL ZEDS!! RAT-TAT-TATA-TAT YEEEAH!!!!!

Last edited:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
HJMuAQ3.png

Ladies and gentlemen, we have yet another underage winner.

3Zbgpe5.png

Without further ado, let's get to the juicy part:

ch5dQGe.png

Highlights:

"~The character customization is neat" - I have absolutely no idea what this means, and I'm the sole developer.

"~It feels like there are only a few random events, where its either "lets trade for a tiny discount" or just a useless event that literally does nothing" - There is absolutely no random event where you trade something for a tiny discount. This implies that there is already a mechanic in the game, like for example buying crystals with money, and the random event replicates this exact mechanic but with a discount, which simply isn't true. Also, it probably goes without saying, but all random events do something.

"~The controls are terrible for the "takeovers" and "battles" it made normal feel like hard, and easy feel like normal." - There is no easy, normal or hard mode in the game. Only a "Casual" mode for players who complain it's too hard. Inventing new game difficulty tiers for a review, yay!

"~its bare-boned, the new enemies dont really offer anything too unusual, going from "slightly faster" to "takes a few more hits"" -Enemies reading poetry in combat will be in the next update. Also, 6 hours into the game you haven't even seen 20% of all the enemies the game has, much less judge what they do.

" Its literally a few flash games mixed together and saying "we created this idea! Now pay us real money!"" - Bought the game while on sales for $ 2.79, even less than a White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks which you drink in 10 mins, already played past 6 hours.

And add some much needed context:

6AQnOed.png

HrqBuHT.png

Although these reviews are a pain in the ass because they keep dragging the game down in the "Mixed" zone, I can't stop thinking that I probably did something right with Emerge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So you moved on to stalking the people that say anything bad.. how nice..

Latro

Arcane
People who have never made a game in their life get after someone who has. Sad!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom