Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny is really fucking good. Took a hurricane to realize it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well, sorry for not replying, i've (still am) without electricity thanks to hurrican Maria.

currently I'm on a gasoline "generator", a 2000 watt model (cost a pretty penny) and am currently utilizing the (limited) data from a cell phone I bought recently just so I could have access to the 'net.

on the plus side I played and finished Tyranny and whole-heartedly believe it is Obsidian's best "Codexian-style cee-and-cee" adventure-game/RPG hybrid.

In one fell swoop Obsidian managed to solve all of the problems that have accumulated throughout the years with:

- companion "like/dislike" systems (they chucked the good/bad parameters and instead companions will stay with you either out of loyalty or because you've dominated their wills/lives, and neither "path" is wrong or right either in terms of gamification: both produce tangible and unique feats/perks/benefits so there is no need to always treat a companion one way or the other due to wanting a specific outcome in terms of their prowess)

- faction reputation "system" (they did the same thing here as with the companions and instead of either always alienating a faction or alternatively being their serf, instead you do your thang and either piss them off, or court their loyalty, or go for "neutral" faction alliance, a 3rd choice not present with the compnaions; neither of the 3 possible faction outcomes are bad or good, and each path plays into Tyranny's codex-style cee-and-cee, of which it has a lot)

the writing itself in Tyranny is miles above what is present in PoE and thanks to (now currently at 3 months) without electricity or internet (or running water the 1st month...), I was bored enough and without anything else much to do that I actually fucking sat down and read every single fucking dialog.

Dialog-wise I think Tyranny is the best Obsidian has done, 2nd only (obviously) to Mask of the Betrayer. In terms of writing F:NV is still their materpiece as it a masterclass in how to write an endlessly iterative CRPG.

It's amazing how much more precious your attention becomes when you literally don't have anything else to do but play whatever it is you are playing; and since I played Tyranny on literally dollars-per-watt (elec generator running on gas) literally every single thing I did cost me money.

It's a shame they decided not to utilize the totally serviceable (if not outright above-average) "rules systems" from PoE and instead they implemented a terrible mish-mash into Tyranny of skills and shit, and a horrible skill-raising system that put the icing on the cake. The encounter design, however, at least in the 1st Act, was very fun though.

--------------

The only shit I had installed when Maria struck was:

PoE
Tyranny
XCOM 2
FNV
ToEE
NIER: AUTOMATA
and Dragon Quest 7 for 3DS emulator.

Needless to say by now I plowed thru XCOM 2 (terrible game, incredibly simplistic, an insult to the series legacy), and hurricane or no hurricane there is simply no way I am/would play again:

- PoE, FNV, or ToEE. I have simply finished those 3 already way too many times.

So, currently am playing (thanks to that generator I got):

CITRA-emulated Dragon Quest 7 remake, and I have also flip-flopped my thoughts on this one as well. Yes, they butchered the class system and, yes, they cut down the amount of content/puzzles/dungeons, but I had not expected the complete and incredibly loving remake of the entirety of the game done in animated 3D graphics.

the original DQ7 was/is 2D Sprites, and this 3DS remake is completely 3D and Polygonal and I had not anticipated the lengths they would go to re-enliven this huge, huuuge game: long story short the first time I saw Maribel smirk at Kiefer in 3D polygonal animated glory... I was got.

I have about 5gb's left of data on this phone/sim-card, and I'm planning on using it to download something with tons of episodes that I can watch on laptop/tablet (I can charge these throughout the day at work). Am gonna try to get a torrent less than 5gb of Babylon 5 season 1 or something like that; if not i'll think of something to download.

...and yeah, that 1st month without running water was fucking brutal. Word to the wise, keep your bunghole clean people.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
also this proved a fantastic opportunity to read my backlog of books:

I read so many I was going to list them but won't bother, but I've read by now around 30 books or so I hadn't gotten around to reading.

also started drawing again, out of boredom, and coloring in some old coloring books I had stashed away.

The best reading though was a stash of around 30 issues of Game Players / Ultra Game Players magazine I found... the earliest issue being from 1994 and featuring reviews for Breath of Fire 1 (snes), hehe.

Fuck at one moment I was so bored I read through the entire D&D 2nd edition adaptation of DIABLO II... LOL.

laclongquan

Arcane
FUCK!

Read this blog of yours remind me that we had donated ALL of our books. To a countryside school library which should have more use for it than ours but STILL.

So if we get long term elec black out we would be sooooo screwed... Reading on phone is a chore~ Servicable but.

Anyway, good review on Tyranny. I might get tempted enough to install it... which I doubt. But less hard than before.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've read by now around 30 books or so I hadn't gotten around to reading.....also started drawing again

Amazing how productive people can be if they get disconnected from the internet collective.

p.s. Tyranny is garbage and you're a faggot for liking it.

I love Tyranny (and also small t tyranny), and I love reading, but I’m pretty sure none of this behavior counts as productive. In fact, it’s kind of the opposite of productive. I’d probably do the same in that situation, but a in three months a productive person would build a windmill or something (or flee the area!).

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What the fuck is wrong with Kwa, that it's fucking around in other peoples' business around the world while its own citizens get Stockholm Syndrome for shitty Obsidian games?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also liked Tyranny, no hurricane required
The setting was interesting, the companions were good, the combat was better than PoE and the magic system was the best magic building system probably since Morrowind 15 years ago
I don’t get much of the dislike (or apathy) for the game, maybe the fact that I had not many expectations made it easier for me to enjoy?
Anyway, sounds like you were on one of those “stuck on a dessert island” scenarios and doing pretty cool... I bet no xvideos must be the hardest part

ortucis

Prophet
currently I'm on a gasoline "generator", a 2000 watt model (cost a pretty penny) and am currently utilizing the (limited) data from a cell phone I bought recently just so I could have access to the 'net.

Next time, buy a inverter.

I still can't believe that people in many countries don't use inverter's or have barely heard of them (I remember a woman from US who was shocked to learn about these in a discussion). Inverter's are silent, you don't lose electricity abruptly and you can increase how much power you want from them for your home and for how long.

As for Tyranny, can't stand that shit DnD-like combat anymore, so meh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What the fuck is wrong with Kwa, that it's fucking around in other peoples' business around the world while its own citizens get Stockholm Syndrome for shitty Obsidian games?

Puerto Rico is in a mess of its own making with regard to infrastructure.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I gotta agree that the reputation system and the choices you have in general are pretty damn good, I was getting sick of games where you have to play as a Fedex employee and a mildly ''nice'' guy till the end of the game, where they might trow you some meh choices to betray or stay true to your faction. Tyranny is the best representation of self employment, fuck Kyros and her generals wishes, I'm not here to act as a delivery boy and getting schooled by everyone without me having no choices to tell them to fuck themselves. None of that in Tyranny boy, you can kill almost every living son of a bitch you encounter and you know what, it feels damn good. I would gladly take Tyranny over that pile of shit PoE any day of the week

jungl

Augur
coloring books. I dont understand why US invests money in puerto rico. Even if it somehow turned communist and had missiles pointed at the US it would be preferable. The island would be lol worthy miserable place the likes of north korea because the island relies so much on american tax payer support.

How do you possibly enjoy playing 3ds emulator dragon quest 7 on 20 fps or less. Tyranny is fun for one playthrough. it still too short and even more half assed then pillars was.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also just recently discovered what :incline: Tyranny is after delaying playing since release.

No Sawyer on the project and it shows. They even removed Might giving bonus damage to spells :dance:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tbt.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom