Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also make sure to play Gothic 3 afterwards.
With all necessary patches it's better than it's reputation and still a somewhat worthy successor.

Sykar

Arcane
With all necessary patches it's better than it's reputation and still a somewhat worthy successor.

Obligatory Durmin Paradox:

Summa summarum: Gothic 3 is an unsavable unfinished gutted piece of steaming shite and no community patch can save the fundamental problems this game has not to mention the utterly retarded story.

Danikas

Arcane
1)Combat system devolved from timing based and tactical dark souls like combat system to buttonmashing, or buttonmashing with 1 second pause when you install community patch
2)quest system devolved from reactive multisolution quests to silly fetchquests with no narrative context
3)faction system devolved from 3 different factions opposing eachother using you as a tool to achieve their goals in a faceted storyline to "kill or dont kill the orcs"
4)dialogue, same as part 2, was reduced to oneliners
5)characterdesign, based on bad dialogues and bad questdesign, was reduced to flat onedimensional characters
6)gameworld devolved into bland random dungeons filled with bland trashmobs and a shitty random chest loot system that completely destroyed the coherence of the gameworld
7)the story: youre a dumbass who forgot his armor on the boat, you have to find xardas, kill some dudes, the end.

Worthy as fuck :nocountryforshitposters:. I played this piece of shit game at release, it was so fucking bad compared to Gothic 2. Not to mention the optimization, I had decent rig in 2006 game ran at 15-20 fps max all the time. I reinstalled it again in 2011 with new computer and fuckload of patches still ran like shit.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
Man, I remember playing Gothic 3 as it released...
I literally died inside that day, true start of decline for me.
Same feeling dude, I was young and innocent then, had so much hope for the future. Sadly I had Gothic 3 preordered...

Well, I didn't play it at release, only later with all patches, so I didn't have those huge problems many ppl experienced.
Some of your points are valid (to a degree), but to complain about the gameworld of all things is quite rich...

Be that as it may, of course it's a decline compared to G1/G2, but it sometimes still has the Gothic vibe, and the world is awesome. Furthermore it's no FUN allowed to play.
So yes, it indeed is better than it's reputation.

Danikas

Arcane
Well, I didn't play it at release, only later with all patches, so I didn't have those huge problems many ppl experienced.
Some of your points are valid (to a degree), but to complain about the gameworld of all things is quite rich...

Be that as it may, of course it's a decline compared to G1/G2, but it sometimes still has the Gothic vibe, and the world is awesome. Furthermore it's no FUN allowed to play.
So yes, it indeed is better than it's reputation.

Remember when Cor Angar was known for being a disciplined warrior of purpose and suffered from headaches from the influence of the sleeper? And near the end of Gothic 2 he said he was tired of all the violence and wanted to seek out a peaceful life as a farmer? Then in Gothic3 he became some blowhard former shell of what he once was and was nonchalantly fighting in the arena for money and didn't bring up how he came to grips with his past... but was just like "hey! I'm making good money fighting now. have a drink on me, hahaha!" - After this moment, and the uneventful, uninteresting dealings with Xardas and the freeing of the capital city that I quit this game and never looked back. Gothic 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games, and Gothic 3 will always be the poster boy of disappointment until the day I die.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The world is quite impressive.
And it's one of the few games where weapon reach really matters a lot. It's really fun to swing the scythe from a hut wall from the beginner village. Too bad that PB kinda screwed this by making two handed greatswords and greataxes have less reach then sword & board.
Still, there's the spear, halberd... and orc halberd.

Murk

Arcane
Gothic 3 would have been a fine game if it's named wasn't Gothic 3.

I like it, but it's nothing like G1/G2 -- should go to Risen 1 instead.

Or just replay G2, the way the good lord intended.

Danikas

Arcane
Gothic 3 would have been a fine game if it's named wasn't Gothic 3.

I like it, but it's nothing like G1/G2 -- should go to Risen 1 instead.

Or just replay G2, the way the good lord intended.

Exactly there is no reason to play Gothic 3 in the world where Gothic 2 exists.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Summa summarum: Gothic 3 is an unsavable unfinished gutted piece of steaming shite and no community patch can save the fundamental problems this game has not to mention the utterly retarded story.

Lol. I've seen these videos so many times, but I always lose it laughing when he brings up the magic system. Seriously what the fuck, how did they miss this in development? Such a fail game.

Danikas

Arcane

Lol. I've seen these videos so many times, but I always lose it laughing when he brings up the magic system. Seriously what the fuck, how did they miss this in development? Such a fail game.

Gothic 3 was biggest mistake of Germans since Stalingrad.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, it's a fun romp, even if not exactly coherent or immersive. The world is huge and well designed and it's kinda fun to stomp whole villages/towns/camps - at least for a time. Also it has some Gothic staples which are almost nonexistant in other games, like people actually defending their belongings/homes.

Its not really a successor to Gothic 2... but a huge, fun game from the same setting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One of the few things Gothic 3 did right was post thievery. After you empty some houses/pockets city guards interrogate you about that thefts

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honestly after Gothic 2 I either will go straight to ELEX or give Risen a try, the pirate theme doesnt look too bad

Risen 1 is a good game, the sequels are hot garbage. Going straight to Elex is good, it's a good game (at least as good as Risen 1 imo, and much bigger).

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Risen 1 is a good game, the sequels are hot garbage. Going straight to Elex is good, it's a good game (at least as good as Risen 1 imo, and much bigger).
I have changed my mind on Risen 1. The first time I played it, I had just finished a playthrough of Gothic 1 & 2 so my expectations were abnormally high. It's not a bad game, it's just too derivative while never going beyond what was established before it.

Worse, is that it was intended to be a Gothic spin-off (which would've been awesome) set hundreds of years later, and you can see moments of them alluding to this i.e: "the mysterious mage of legend, who banished the gods from the earth...(Xardas)".

But it never went further than that, as JoWood basically cock-blocked them from making any direct links beyond that flicker of a reference, due to their brief hijacking of the I.P.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
Honestly after Gothic 2 I either will go straight to ELEX or give Risen a try, the pirate theme doesnt look too bad
The only thing Gothic 3 does for the Gothic series is to conclude the story. Once you've finished Gothic 2, we'll be happy to tell you the super-secret ending to Gothic 3 if you want to skip it. I mention this because it leads into Risen 1.

I agree that Risen 1 is pretty good and worth playing, but you can easily skip 2 and 3.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
The only thing Gothic 3 does for the Gothic series is to conclude the story. Once you've finished Gothic 2, we'll be happy to tell you the super-secret ending to Gothic 3 if you want to skip it. I mention this because it leads into Risen 1.

Really? Never played Gothic 3, always just assumed Risen is a completely separate series. Care to elaborate?

Murk

Arcane

Really? Never played Gothic 3, always just assumed Risen is a completely separate series. Care to elaborate?

The canonical ending to G3 is the xardas/adanos path where-in Nameless Hero and Xardas banish the gods from the world. The intro to Risen is that a mage banished the gods from the world. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2UDXxtaYo8)

It's more a thematic hook than a literal 1:1 continuation since the setting/world/rules are different, but yeah.

mwnn85

Savant
Gothic 1 and G2: NOTR really deserve a bit of a technical overhaul.
I'm surprised they haven't taken the opportunity.

I can play them and fully enjoy them but's there's a few niggling things like the outdated controls, interface, etc.
There's the WiP DX11 renderer, unofficial workarounds and so forth but I think it could even better.

Spruce up the graphics, models and animations a bit but keep them faithful to the originals.
Fix a few longstanding bugs (which all the various unofficial patches attempt to fix...)
WASD controls.
Update it to something like Risen 1 standards.

They clearly haven't forgotten how to make a decent game.
ELEX is in a far better state than Gothic 3 was on release.
Even when just playing the first few areas up to the first city - it's clear that this is a much more enjoyable & polished game.
Gothic 3 dumped you straight into that daft opening fight where you'd get continually knocked down but not killed!

Decided to put off ELEX playthrough until it receives more patching and went for a first time ever run of Gothic 1 instead. Barely done my first quest to get the shopping list from mines and I'm already drawn in. Controls are little clunky but not a dealbreaker. Loved my first encounter with a chest! Obviously went for WASD control scheme and little rebinding. May have rebinded too much because I still cannot figure out how to fucking swim. :D Last two attempts at underwater exploration ended with me helplessly watching my char drown. WASD only seems to adjust the direction of swimming, but can't find the key that does the actual swimming. Nevermind, I'll get there. *edit* Silly me, turns out I need to mash jump button to swim.

For visuals I ended up only using both texture packs (Freddy's and Theilhater), DX11 renderer has some nice shadow improvements but overall I think it looks weird. Also seemed to disable Supersampling I forced in Nvidia Inspector, causing a bunch of shimmering everywhere. Don't want. I like the nice clean look oldie low polygon games coupled with higher res texture packs have, modern fancy lighting effects just don't fit in there.

A question. What's the deal with barrier sometimes being visible, other times not? Is that normal or a bug? Because I do see an option in SystemPack.ini for keeping it always on, just not sure if I should mess with that.

Also, that Bloodwyn dude is a major pain in the ass. Once he has me in conversation about protection money the only way I can escape him is by killing the game in task manager. Will have to kill the prick once I'm out of helpless weakling stage.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom